Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

fitness question

Poster: A snowHead
fatirishman wrote:
andyph, I really disagee. I ski with a group of German friends every year. Mostly they're a bunch of couch potatoes, that maybe at a push do a bit of walking and cycle into town. They have no issues with a long ski day, admittedly as long as they get a nice lunch! I'm all for that too , skiing is a holiday, and I'm there to enjoy their company in the mountains. Nope and it's not an agething wither.. they're all around 40. You don't have to be that fit to ski!

If you're really unfit, then pull your finger out! As long as your body is OK, no major illness or disabilites srecreational skiing should not be that hard!

"A bit of walking and cycle into town", eh...? So they have a bike? Shocked Virtually fitness fanatics in my book! wink Fair enough, you don't have to be that fit to ski - especially if you just tootle around. However I like to ski quite fast and hard and the legs just don't know what's hit 'em.

As Shimmy says, it's not so much the cardio as the thigh burn that does me in. So I am doing something about it. As my miserly streak is wider than my couch potato streak, in order not to waste my money on the EoSB, I am forcing myself onto the exercise bike every other day. Where's the "beads of perspiration" smiley? Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
comprex, That is why I like the tables that explain it in easy to measure ways. I.e. Can hold a conversation - it dont matter what level of fitness you are it's the same measure. - a fit guy working hard or an unfit guy walking.

I also think the built in HR on gym equipment should be removed, they not claibrated or reliable at all.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andyph, LOL Virtually.. virtual more like it!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatirishman, Yeah am all signed up for Regensberg hotel booked and everything just panicking that I will never get it all done in 16 hours ......... off to canada tomorrow and have packed the 310 etc etc trail shoes - I went running in the snow in braemar the other week as Skiing really isnt that much exercise think it will be interesting to see how much of an effect the 3 months of cycling running swimming and weights has had as this time last year I had never even contemplated a triathlon and got by on body pump, combat and pilates and the odd jog Wink

I will resist the poutine Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen LS, drop me a pm on Tritalk if you sign up. There are loads of people there who will give you stacks of support. I can't work the pm thing here!

There is a Regensburg thread here http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61499&start=75 Some really nice people doing it (Cenzo and Jorgan included) and they'll all give you a shout on race day. That really helps! I'm not a fast 'un either, and honestly us guys at the back get a bigger cheer at the end. My friend Cleo was last in Roth.. very very last. She had to bang on the door to be let into the stadium sort of thing, and got the biggest welcome ever!

16 hours is more than attainable and you'll be surprised how much faster you are. I was a "just finisher" a couple of years ago and was shocked that I managed just over 13. You'll be fine, honestly, the minute that gun goes you'll realise you've put in all the work and it's worth it. Stuff pump, RPM, and combat into the bin for the time being, get yourself on Fink and try to stick to it. Remember "bragging rights FOREVER!" All the very best with the training....

Oh and if you need a bit of motivation downlaod the IM talk podcasts!

Can't help you on the skiing front, I can't maintain fitness levels when skiing. Too much food around, and not enough CV!

(Funny I can give IM advice here, but never would on the other forum as I'm way too inexperienced!)

*But ain't life great. Triathlon and skiing!

Grr can't embed the Regensburg Vid!

http://youtube.com/v/1l9W78Mt8s8&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 26-01-10 15:05; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andyph wrote:
As Shimmy says, it's not so much the cardio as the thigh burn that does me in. So I am doing something about it. As my miserly streak is wider than my couch potato streak, in order not to waste my money on the EoSB, I am forcing myself onto the exercise bike every other day. Where's the "beads of perspiration" smiley? Very Happy

Out of balance leads to thigh burn are you doing anything to improve / train your balance?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB, not heard that one before. I just thought repeatedly bending my knees and straightening them again was the problem. Tell me more...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatirishman, Will Pm you when I get back - did sign up and everyone was v encouraging when I said can I do this ! I also have a coach who I think despairs but we have really taken II's thread off topic so SORRY II xxx

Ps there is no space for any fun classes in the life of swim turbo run bike BOY weights on a girly ball Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andyph, any number of threads on it, essentially, when out of balance the brain uses the strongest, quickest muscle it has available (the main part of the quadriceps) to regain a sense of balance. This is why pushing the tails can feel 'right' even though it's physically exhausting.

The trick is to
1) not lose balance when you don't want to

Hamstring work (so you can *pull* your upper body onto your ski, instead of *pushing* the ski downhill and sideways through the snow to where your upper body can balance on it), things that make you push and steer with your legs instead of climbing (ski steering), core muscle work (so as to transfer body weight between skis, so as to be able to pull the short leg up into the groin while steering and tipping the foot) all come into play here.

On the bike, if the pedal circle is a clock, this means learning to
- pull the pedal through the bottom of the pedal circle, from 4 o'clock to 7o'clock, pull *hard*, like wiping a pesky piece of gum off the bottom of the shoe.
- *snap* the pedals upwards from 7 o'clock to 10, especially on climbs, this should feel like you're trying to kick your own butt.
- *push*, hard, the short leg from 10 o'clock to 2. This feels like a snap kick in karate/tae kwon do

Steering the foot and complete transfer of weight from one pedal to the other are hard to practice on the bike, which is one of the reasons why cycling is not a complete fitness solution for skiers.

2) discipline the body's reaction when you -intentionally- lose balance during transition.

Practice transitions.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex, ...er... yeah. Puzzled

Let me think about all that. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andyph, no problem.

If you want a detailed explanation, just give a shout. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Is that possible? Keep hearing it mentioned over the last couple of days...chips cheese and gravy. You'd need a triathlon to work that off Toofy Grin

comprex, will be studying your push pull theory later...if I can ever work out how to pull up on my pedals to start with. Embarassed rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andyph wrote:
DB, not heard that one before. I just thought repeatedly bending my knees and straightening them again was the problem. Tell me more...

Even with strong legs if you are out of balance they will burn eventually. Know a few people who haven't got strong legs or are particulary fit but have fantastic balance and never get thigh burn and very very rarely fall over if ever. (although they tend to stay away from very difficult terrain, steep bumps etc)

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20183&highlight=balance

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39645&highlight=balance

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31863&highlight=balance

As mentioned above - hamstring and core exercises with balance balls / boards are very good for skiing. On the hill - skiing on one leg is a good exercise.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MarjMJ wrote:
Quote:

Is that possible? Keep hearing it mentioned over the last couple of days...chips cheese and gravy. You'd need a triathlon to work that off :-D

Resisting poutine? Bwahahaha!

The potatoes nicely crispy up top, melting at bottom, the curds so fresh they squeak in the teeth, the gravy light, light, with little bits of brown fond, ah!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, comprex, all good points re: balance.

So, leaving aside your lardy acquaintances who don't ski anywhere steep or fast, I'll continue with the exercise bike to improve CV and thigh/hams, I'll rock forwards and backwards on one leg (with my eyes shut when practised), and I'll sit up till I puke ref snowpatrol's pearl necklace of wisdom.

Any other tips?
snow conditions
andyph, does your exercise bike have clipless pedals?
ski holidays
comprex, it has straps if that's what you mean. If clips are something else then it doesn't have those.
snow report
andyph, can you tighten them down enough to do one-legged pedaling?
ski holidays
andyph wrote:
DB, comprex, all good points re: balance.

So, leaving aside your lardy acquaintances who don't ski anywhere steep or fast

They are not lardy they are either old or female with health issues but they ski faster than most British tourists.

andyph wrote:
I'll continue with the exercise bike to improve CV and thigh/hams, I'll rock forwards and backwards on one leg (with my eyes shut when practised), and I'll sit up till I puke ref snowpatrol's pearl necklace of wisdom.

Any other tips?

Building up your leg muscles on a bike can lead to a massive muscle imbalance which can have a detrimental effect on your skiing. Use the clips and pedal with only one leg at a time to work the hamstrings.
You don't always need special equipment, certain balance exercises can be done using steps, bits of wood etc
snow report
comprex, DB, got it, one-legged pedalling, stand on bits of wood - that's my idea of special equipment Very Happy

I'll go and try it when my 3 course dinner has gone down. wink
snow report
Presumably a good form of pre-ski trip exercise is............skiing (dry slope, snowdome, whatever.) Probably uses the same muscles? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hurtle, you're just letting yourself down making assumptions like that. wink
snow conditions
andyph, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I tried the rocking forwards and backwards on one foot - harder than it sounds! Give that a go when brushing teeth, I think.

Didn't bother with one-footed pedalling - well, I tried it but it mucked up the program I was on, so maybe Friday... Happy to report no signs of massive muscle imbalance yet. Very Happy
ski holidays
comprex, You are a VERY naughty man.
snow report
MarjMJ, Little Angel Little Angel

Did I mention that the Seyval does a really nice job of clearing away the palate?
snow report
I'm not listening LA LA LA LA LA LA wink
snow conditions
andyph,

This is a good exercise but you need to stick your tongue out to get the full benefit

http://norcalcyclingnews.com/words/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/vk_agilitytraining.jpg

Stroke it well ....

http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610,s1-4-41-15647-1,00.html

http://www.inlandempirecycling.com/Cycling/bicycle_pedaling.htm
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bwahahahahahaha........rocking backwards and forwards on one foot...one footed pedalling...bwahahahahahaha......... none of you faries will get anywhere until you start squatting........

okbye
snow conditions
DB, what do you mean by good exactly? Laughing Shocked wink

You can take this cycling thing too seriously, you know. I only want to ski all day without my legs aching.

snowpatrol, why don't you give us a demonstration?
snow conditions
andyph, a demonstration????????... you don't know what a squat is!!!!.... are you completely retarded????

okbye
snow conditions
No, snowpatrol, I thought it would be nice if you would go somewhere and squat.
snow report
andyph, and what do you think now?

okbye
ski holidays
andyph wrote:
No, snowpatrol, I thought it would be nice if you would go somewhere and squat.

Short memory, snowpatrol?
latest report
andyph, ok fella....i'll "go somewhere and squat" and you can go "rock backwards and forwards while brushing your teeth"....but we will still know who the fairy is.......

okbye
latest report
http://www.speedysigns.com/images/decals/jpg/H/422/698.jpg
snow report
snowpatrol, I have one of those Slendertone belt things, will that help?
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, You can guess where he´d strap that Shocked
snow report
DAB, Laughing
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, i'm not sure if there is anything that could help you.....

DAB, now there's a thought......

okbye
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy