Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it too cold for the Vallee Blanche?

Poster: A snowHead
I have a chance to do the Vallee Blanche on Wednesday this week, in an organised group with a guide. Have read a lot on this and other forums, and think I can manage the ski-ing. But the temperatures and windchill forecast for the high altitudes in Chamonix are very intimidating. I have been finding it quite cold enough at 2000m the last few days. Any advice? The low level of skiable snow cover looks good, but perhaps I should try later in the season, at the cost of having to walk the last bit. On this point, do people take walking boots in a backpack so that they can change out of ski boots, or is this just too wimpish to be true? Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Klein Matterhorn above Zermatt (about the same height of the Aiguille du Midi) was -25C today. That would be impossibly cold for a long glacier tour. Get a temperature forecast, and hopefully it will warm up a bit!

Later in the season you should be able to ski it to the Montenvers railway for the stretch down to town. Or by all means take boots for the final hike down, if the snow continues below the railway.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, no need for the walking boots. One of the advantages of going now is the hike at the bottom won't be so bad with the current snow cover. You lose a lot of height quite quickly getting down onto the glacier, which is relatively sheltered, so hopefully the temperatures won't be too bad, but I've only done it in relatively mild conditions so I can't comment with certainty.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pam,

Where are you cold? and what have you been wearing?

Some tips :-

you loose a lot of heat through your head - wear a hat
Wear sweat bands over your wrists, keeps your hands warm, keeps the veins close to the surface warm.

You may also find wearing 2 or 3 thin modern layers are warmer than the traditonal T shirt and sweater.

And now a little more personal question!

Are you wearing wicking underwear, and layers of wicking clothing? If you are using cotton underwear/t shirts and these get damp you will get cold very quickly. Modern fabrics can move the moisture away from your skin and keep you warmer.

Good luck with your decision.

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have skied in Canada at -25 and can confirm that is seriously cold - hands will be v. cold without massive gloves and exposed face skin will rapidly start showing signs of frostbite. If it's that cold don't do it unless you have the right kit and the guide says OK Puzzled As I understand it wind chill is not a problem unless you expose parts to the wind - ie if you are well windproofed the temp you experience will only be the actual temp, not the artificial "wind chill" temp. High winds on the arrete would not be fun though rolling eyes

If you can ski to the place below the railway station then you can climb up to it in ski boots, although it's a small slog.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, quick answer is No.
Mininum temperature for Wednesday is -10C (down to -20C with windchill).
It was a similar temperature when I went down 10 days ago, but as there is so much walking and the valley is quite sheltered you will be fine: thermals, fleece, jumper and jacket with neck muffler and inner silk gloves.
Keep those ski boots on your feet - remove those walking boots from your backpack and replace them with water, chocolate and toffee vodka.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

but as there is so much walking

which variation did you do Jonpim, the Randonnee? Laughing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alan Craggs, I did the Usual Route, down the middle, along with hundreds of others.
And I did learn that glaciers are flat. The only interesting skiing was getting onto it, and off it.
Getting off is particular fun due to crevaces, and ice-falls, and Yetis chucking large snowballs at you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
People reguarly ski in temperatures like that in Ontario, Canada. But we still consider this an extremely cold day of skiing, and we're used to the cold Smile If you do decide to go, dress VERY warmly. Avoid eexposed skin as much as possible, and make sure you have hand warmers as well as very good gloves.
Then again, in Ontario it's just a regular ski hill with lifts and stuff, sounds like what you're planning is a little more hard-core? If so, then I really have no idea.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowforecast are giving -16/17 for Wednesday at the top, with - and this is the killer - 50kph winds. The wind forecast has gone up a lot since I looked last night. I doubt if the trip would be on, but have decided that it is definitely to cold to be enjoyable which is, after all, the whole idea. I will have another opportunity later, when it should be a lot warmer. gregh - I am wearing the right stuff, goretex jacket and trousers, no cotton, loads of layers, hat (balaclava style). I have drawn the line at the neoprene face mask, though I would take it to the Aiguille du Midi on Wednesday, if I went! Hands cold, despite good gloves - but I use hand warmers. Feet cold problem now solved with thermic insoles. I have not been unpleasantly cold - it's fine when I'm ski-ing, but the lifts are chilly. We have no gondolas here. I have poor circulation, I think. Will have to stop the HRT and hope for hot flushes at the right moment. We've had lots of -12 plus a bit of windchill (Les Saisies) but I recognise that is nothing compared to Canada and the Eastern States. I think I'll stick to France! Thanks very much for such swift and helpful replies - I look forward to doing it later in the season. I'm looking forward to the mountain scenery above all, and don't mind how uninteresting the ski-ing is!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
And I did learn that glaciers are flat.

Which enables you to admire the views without having to stop.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
... he said disappearing into a crevasse. Shock wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This wed..? So this is too late, I expect, but if it is that cold I would think the guides may call it off.

The only problem you should have is getting off the ridge and you don't want to be standing around there for the normal 45 mins it can take to do so - ( I got the first stages of frost bit on my face years back like this.) This is, of course compounded by any wind whatsoever.

So to cater for the ridge be very weatherproof and even use masks for the face. If it is a sunny day then once you get going you should warm up ok.

If you can look up to the ridge from the valley and you have clear blue skies and there is no wind on the ridge I would go if dressed properly, if it is none of these and a very cold day in the valley, I wouldn't but I would expect the guides to have made the decision for you....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also you have to walk along this

http://www.frostybear.net/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/68/cat/500/page/1

which I would not fancy in a gale!

(I would not fancy it much at any time!)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fragglerock, did it in near white-out: at least you don't get to see the possibilities!
snow report
pam w, Did you go ? Weather was great on Wednesday, mainly blue sky all day and warm once the initial walk down the arrete was completed. Had to remove layers, especially for the walk up to meet the run down into Chamonix valley.
snow report
No, I didn't, because the weather looked too intimidating, added to my nerves about that arrete, which sounded the worst part. But I will do it one day soon... meanwhile, am enjoying some more springlike conditions. And I'm very grateful for all the input from snowheads.
snow report
pam w, if you're worried about the arrete, you could do it from the Italian side. Get the bus through the tunnel and go up to Punta Helbrunner. You can get an Italian guide to meet you at the cable car station.
snow report
pam w, The arrete was less worrying than I'd been expecting, the biggest problem being the queue of people waiting to descend. Last week the path was good with nice footholds and well secured rope handrails.

Q To those who know, is this always the case or are their times when path hasn't been cut and the rope handrails are not in place ?
ski holidays
Not always. Was up there 3/4 winters ago, lousy weather-saw a guy with B3's on a backpack set off down the arrete alone-mid afternoon. Definitely no rope rail+poor visibility+very windy+crevasses very visible from c/car Hope he knew where he was going Shocked
ski holidays
mesk1 wrote:

Q To those who know, is this always the case or are their times when path hasn't been cut and the rope handrails are not in place ?

Early in the season there is no rope. You can check on the High Mountain Office website for the current condtions and whether the arete is equipped:

http://www.ohm-chamonix.com/HIV/HMCond.php
snow report
davidof, Thanks, a useful site to bookmark. Having only seen the VB in sunny blue sky conditions from the middle of a continous stream of people it's good to see it's more 'natural' conditions.
snow conditions
You should keep an eye on the site, the word on the street is that the ropes are coming down following the death of a British boarder on the Vallée Blanche yesterday. The idea is to discourage non-expert skiers and unguided skiers from using the route due to weak snowbridges.
snow report
David Goldsmith, You don't need to tell me about the cold on Klien Matterhorn, I experienced it for myself during that week! It did warm up as the week went on though.
ski holidays
Having started this thread, I was very sad to read about the death of the snowboarder. I assume he was without a guide, which can never be very sensible up there, no matter what the conditions. How fast things change in the mountains. From wind chill of 30 degrees, we are now sitting on the mountains in T shirts.
snow conditions
Very interesting to read these comments about the arrete --I skied the Vallee Blanche with a group from a catered chalet we were staying in about 7 years ago--in April--we had an excellent French guide --- I called him "guardian angel"--he even helped carry my skis while we clambered down that scary icy ridge--the arrete--"Follow close behind me!"--he would shout, as we negotiated between the crevasses, and he pulled me up several times when I'd collapsed into a heap--from sheer exhaustion. I remeber enjoying a delicious snack for lunch on the terrace of a refuge hut, and from then on the rest of the trip felt less of an effort---I am glad I did it once--but don't think I shall do it again---for quite a while.. Very sad to read about the snowboarder who died there recently.....my heart goes out to his parents and family...
latest report
The ropes are not always in place and crampons should be an option here. If you go with a guide he will know what to prep you for and you should be ok. He wil not be wanting to be making it any harder than it should be.

It is true that a nice day will invite plenty of people to go on a day trip and I have seen these people freeze on the arrete when it doesn't have ropes. They were not at all prepared and had no kit and the guides were a bit brutal with them, even adding to their intrepidation. I would think that the arrete should be patrolled and people turned back for their own safety if they don't have the equipment for the conditions etc. But then the ticket office should also have a warning or something.
But you could also argue the French are keen enough to take the ticket money and the guides make a good living off the
Aiguille du Midi so protectionism could be an issue here.
The position should be if you aren't very sure then get a guide. On a good day it is a doodle but even losing a basket or glove can be big issues here or on any high alpine terrain for that matter.
latest report
JT, I had a guide who told us all sorts of horror stories on the way up: I think it was deliberately to get anyone doubting their nerve, skill or stamina to turn around while they could; quite sound I think.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT wrote:
I would think that the arrete should be patrolled and people turned back for their own safety if they don't have the equipment for the conditions etc. But then the ticket office should also have a warning or something.

There is some debate in Cham over the equipping or not of the ridge. It is apparently one reason why Christophe Profit has resigned from the Compagnie des Guides recentlys. I believe he thinks the ridge should not be equipped. He is also behind a movement to preserve the right to bivaouk on Mont Blanc rather than be forced to use refuges. I don't know any more than that though.
ski holidays
laundryman, I've heard plenty of horror stories of/from the Italian guides. My sister knows one who nearly lost half his face scouting out a route one year - though it may have been in summer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy