Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MY AUSTRIAN ADVENTURE by the Competition winner!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Have just returned after a fantastic week and wanted to share it will you guys!!

Resort: Radstadt / Altenmarkt
Domain: Ski Amade
Date: 30 Jan 2010 – 06 Feb 2010
Author: Ellej .

Our holiday - 2 Adults – Mum and daughter having won the Snowheads competition.
Website - http://www.austrian-adventures.com
http://www.radstadt.com/ http://en.skiamade.com

Basics - We flew British Airways from Edinburgh – Gatwick – Salzburg, as there unfortunately does not seem to be any direct flights from Scotland. We had pre booked a taxi using www.huberreisen.athuber.reisen@sbg.at. They were waiting for us on arrival and we were the only 2 people in the minibus. The cost was 82Euros for the return journey for 2. Would certainly recommend them for efficiency and reliability and best of all the transfer time was only 45 minutes. What a bonus that is.

Accommodation - http://www.austrian-adventures.com/
The Chalet is owned and run by Ben and Ange. We were treated to a wonderful week of fully catered accommodation in Haus Susanne. The garage is used as the ski room with boot racks in the boiler room. There is a sauna on the garage level and also a newly fitted out bar area for the use of the guests with Gluwein and cake on return from the slopes and an “honesty bar” for anyone to use in the evenings. We had a very "cheery" first night with some fellow snowheads. The garden was huge and Ben treated us to "the winners drink" which he warmed up out by his wee hut!

The beds were sooooooo comfy and the rooms much bigger by comparison to those in France and of course we had ensuite facilities. The dining room was cosy and Ange obviously took pride in her lovely tablecloths which we managed to spill wine on every single meal time!!!.
What made the holiday special for us though, was that Ben and Ange could not have been nicer or more helpful. I kid you not - nothing ever seemed to be too much trouble. On the first evening, Ange took us to the ski hire shop in Altenmarkt and arranged a 10% discount. The first two mornings, she even dropped us off at the slopes. They took us out with some of their friends to go sledging 2 nights, which was some of the best fun I have had in years. I cannot remember laughing like that since I was a kid. They also returned our hired skis for us on the last day, to save us having to do it the previous evening.

This is the Chalet!

Lift system: http://www.skiamade.com/en/winter/skiresorts/slopepanorama/?region=ss
There was an 8 man gondola from Radstadt, which takes you all the way to the top of the hill. The 4 man chair on the Radstadt and on the Altenmarkt side of the mountain were very efficient. However the 2 man chair from Altenmarkt is in need of upgrading. It became very busy at the end of the day when everyone was trying to get back over to the Radstadt side of the mountain. It was in fact, the cause of the only queue we had to stand in all week.
The terrain: The Radstadt-Altenmarkt hill has two sides to it, each side running down to the respective towns. The Radstadt side has two ways down; red or blue. Both are lovely runs through the trees. The red which was directly below the gondola was a really enjoyable run at the end of the day! The Altenmarkt side also has some nice fairly easy reds and lovely confidence giving blue runs. We skied our first day on Radstadt and Altenmarkt and it was a great way to get the ski legs back working.

Peaceful slopes!!!
From Altenmarkt, you simply crossed the road, got on the ski bus and after 10 minutes you were in Zauchensee. We spent the majority of the week skiing in this area. Really loved it. From the top, you can take red or blue, all the way down to Flachauwinkel. There were more challenging runs available and a steep, but wide black run which was manageable for me on the way back into Zauchensee. The slopes were really quiet while we were there, the sun was shining and it was just fantastic.

The snow: The conditions were fabulous. Perfectly groomed slopes every morning It actually snowed every day that we were there, but. That said, we had 5 out of our 6 days in beautiful sunshine. It was totally glorious.

Off-piste I’m not that brilliant at it, but Ben took my daughter out to Reiteralm for a day’s off-piste skiing. She had a great day and said she’d never laughed so much as she did when Ben landed on his nose after misjudging a jump!!

The resort: Radstadt is a fairly quiet town. We arrived on the Saturday and all the shops close on a Saturday afternoon. The restaurants were reasonably priced, Being that we were fully catered, we only ate one lunch and one evening meal in town. For me the downside to the restaurants was that they could be a bit smoky. The ski bus was always on time and it took about 10 minutes to get to the hill in the mornings. It’s a really good area for families and groups, although maybe wouldn’t suit those who want the wild après ski. That said, there was a nightclub in Radstadt which my daughter and some of the other guests in the chalet said was really good fun to visit for a night out!!!
This was the newly opened bar at the bottom of the gondola in Radstadt which was a very nice stopping place at the end of the day while waiting for the ski bus back to the Chalet

Fashion: A few wee interesting 80’s outfits were out there. Wish I’d taken a photo of the lady in the pink all-in-one with shoulder pads!! In fact should have tried to buy it for the eosb!
Food We were fully catered and the food in the chalet was excellent. Ben’s cooking was delicious and we both gained about half a stone as we ate so much!! On the slopes, lunches were good and not too expensive. It really didn’t matter where you stopped, prices were comparable and the surroundings very comfortable. Although not speaking any German, made life a little difficult. Strudel was easy to spot though and vanilla sauce!! Yummy.

Lift Passes – we had Ski Amade lift passes which cost us £175 each for 6 days skiing.

Conclusion: We had a totally wonderful holiday. Loved the ski area although, we never managed to see a fraction of what is actually available. So we’ll just have to save that till next time.
All I can actually say is “A huge thank you to Ben and Ange” they were just fantastic hosts. “We arrived as guests and we left as friends”
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glad you had fun - I've never skied in that area. Does the comment above mean you have booked to go on the EoSB ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ElleJ,
Sounds like you ad a great time. If you plan to go again you can fly Edinburgh Munich direct, not as close as Salzburg to Radstadt but easliy manageable.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball, It does indeed, but got the msb to look forward to first of all
T Bar, Might try that next time around. We did it that way, cause it was easy to arrange the transfers at a reasonable price. Not sure on easy the transfers are from Munich..........Anyone know? snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

She had a great day and said she’d never laughed so much as she did when Ben landed on his nose after misjudging a jump!!

hmmmm.... i'm not so sure about that...moi?... Laughing Laughing

It was the best week or so of the season so far... I fully recommend these 'guests' to any other hoteliers! Hope to see you both again sometime soon!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Although not speaking any German, made life a little difficult.

It's nice to hear that, actually, after recent comments on another thread suggested that all the restaurants and hotels in Austria are manned by (mostly foreign) workers who speak excellent English. I did find that hard to believe, but depressing if true. Nice to hear that some more "authentic" spots remain.

Sounds like it was a great week. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ElleJ, What a lovely trip report and I'm thrilled (if not a little jealous Wink) that you had such a wonderful time!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ElleJ, Great trip report. Not bad for third prize Very Happy Very Happy I think that the first 2 out of the hat will be a little jealous that they didn't/couldn't claim the holiday!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ElleJ wrote:
I cannot remember laughing like that since I was a kid

Now I - and no doubt all others that were on EoSB '09 - know that you are not exactly short of laughing exercise. So that must have been something to hear!

Lovely TR, will check the chalet plans and see if something can be done for the TallTones next winter... Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alexandra,Thanks - it was a lovely spot, and we were truly spoilt for choice of where to ski and spoilt by our hosts too!!
Wags, I know...........................I'm so glad you sent me that text!!!!
TallTone, Ha Ha Ha...............Hope you're going to be on the eosb to experience the joyous laughter of the chuckle sisters again!!
pam w, I loved the fact that no-one in the restaurants etc spoke much English and that all the menus were in German only. We had great fun trying to order things. I never did German at school and neither did my daughter, but it's amazing what you can pick up in a week!! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What you havent mentioned is why you didnt get to Reiteralm for some off piste with Ben - come on - spill the beans!!!!!!!!!
A x Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flangesax, Laughing Laughing Laughing Is this pay back for me telling everyone about your head-plant!!!! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ElleJ, Only just seen this thread - fantastic snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shimmy Alcott, Cheers - It was a memorable trip. Especially the "head plant" episode I mentioned by mein host!!! aka flangesax Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
ElleJ, Laughing Not that you're making a point of it wink Careful or he might not let you go back Laughing
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, That's true..................and he might elaborate on why I never got to Reiteralm Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
ElleJ, That is the wife with the threats... not me... a head plant is the least of my worries!!
snow report
flangesax, Ahhh........................the lady wears odd socks NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
snow conditions
ElleJ, oh yes, everyday - you have taught me well! Now tell everyone why you didnt go out with Ben that day - come on - own up!!!!! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
flangesax, Sweetie..................we both know I had a migraine Cool Cool Cool
snow report
ElleJ, caused by Twisted Evil
ski holidays
ElleJ wrote:
snowball, It does indeed, but got the msb to look forward to first of all
T Bar, Might try that next time around. We did it that way, cause it was easy to arrange the transfers at a reasonable price. Not sure on easy the transfers are from Munich..........Anyone know? snowHead snowHead

We always fly into munich and use four seasons transfers,not sure how much it would cost to other resorts,but to soll it was 90 euro return.A very efficient service and we have been using them since 1990. rolling eyes
latest report
I am surprised.

Radstadt / Altenmarkt is a very small place in Sport Welt and Sport Welt is only part of Ski Amade.

Think the fun you could have in Zaucheesee, Schladming, Wagrain, Bad Gastein... all you can ski on the same Ski Amade pass! They are all significantly larger.

To ski the whole Ski Amade you need a car and stay somewhere strategically middle, somewhere like Flachau.
snow conditions
saikee, i think you might like to re-read?...

Quote:

We skied our first day on Radstadt and Altenmarkt and it was a great way to get the ski legs back working.
rom Altenmarkt, you simply crossed the road, got on the ski bus and after 10 minutes you were in Zauchensee. We spent the majority of the week skiing in this area. Really loved it. From the top, you can take red or blue, all the way down to Flachauwinkel. There were more challenging runs available and a steep, but wide black run which was manageable for me on the way back into Zauchensee.

and

Quote:

Off-piste I’m not that brilliant at it, but Ben took my daughter out to Reiteralm for a day’s off-piste skiing.

You may also find the ski bus system that is available from Flachau a little limiting. You can bus to Flachau Winkl and Wagrain... sure Alpendorf and Zauchensee are available from these places too but it is much more complicated and sucks up a bit of time getting to Reiteralm, Schladming (the 4 peak system).

IMO it is worth splitting the Amadé areas into 3 areas (or even 4 depending how hard you ski).
The Gasteins, HochKoenig, Salzburger Sportwelt/Forstau + Reiteralm to Hauser Kaibling.
Even if you have a car for a week it is still worth focussing on these smaller areas rather than chasing about.

I think this should read
Quote:

To ski the whole Ski Amade you need a car and a season pass and about 3 weeks minimum!
latest report
flangesax,

With 3 weeks or more I would get the Salzburg area season pass.

Bus is alright in Ski Amade but car is quicker especially getting around small resorts like Fizmoo or Dachstein.

I could be wrong but Austrian resorts seem to be orientated to skiers with cars as they go out in a big way to provide parking for free. That is my experience aftering skiing about 33 Austria facilities. I only paid the parking charge once in the Saalbach town centre covered car park but the charge was deducted when I purchased the ski pass.
snow conditions
If I was to be allowed a 3 week break I would spend a few days in each of: The Gasteins, Schladders, Radstadt/Zauchensee. Wagrain/Alpendorf and finally HochKoenig.
Can't think of a better trip.
snow report
I still haven't managed to ski everywhere on the Salzburger Super Pass yet and won't have by the end of this season.... still.. by season 6 I might have managed it!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, Ange here, you will be pleased to know that your favorate lift at Alternmarkt will be replaced this summer with a 10 man-2 station gondala! Good job too - I fell of it the other week - it swung back so far my skis dug into the snow and was catapolted out! Yes it hurt and shocked me but a Gluwein calmed me down!
snow conditions
flangesax, That is great news. I love blasting down to Altenmarkt but the thought of that lift can be offputting. I can appreciate the circumstances of your involuntary dismount...... but that makes it even funnier Laughing
I presume the Gondola will go right to the top with the midstation where the 4 man chair starts??
snow report
It wasnt funny - stop laughing!!!!!!!! Not sure of the exact route but it has a mid station yes. Once its up and running I do expect you to come and test it!!!!!
snow report
flangesax, I'm trying to persuade a multi-generational group of friends to come and fill your chalet at some point next season. I've never been to the Amade region and would love to give it a whirl.
snow report
Hurtle, You will love his friendly little cellar bar. And it is indeed a fantastic region.
snow conditions
flangesax,
Think with a 10 man gond' that this will make 'that ' side of the mountain very busy ( which will spoil it ).
Mitch

PS; thanks for a great time over over the 1/2 term
ski holidays
Mitchell, you are more than welcome, I would be great to see you again sometime Smile
snow report
(ben again)...
Mitchell, I'm not so sure it will make the mountain busier... I don't think that a new lift would attract more skiers, hopefull yit will just stop the bottlenecks at lunchtime and in peak season.
I would be suprised if they don't have a new piste under the gondola... so this should swallow up any extras.... anyhow.... we'll see!

Ps - I'll only believe it when they start ripping up the trees!
ski holidays
Just back this afternoon from a fantastic week staying with Ben and Ange, who looked after us really well in a charming, relaxed and comfortable way.

We'd not been to this part of Austria before and really enjoyed it. We didn't have any fresh snow, just a week of deep blue skies and sunshine, but still with a chill in the air, which kept the snow in good condition. We loved going to different places on different days, but probably our favourite was Reiteralm and Hochwursten - we went back there three times. It was quite busy cos it was Fasching week, but that area was much quieter than the others and some runs we were the only people on the pistes. The mountain restaurants are very good value with a great choice of food, and drinks weren't silly money. I'd be back tomorrow if I could. snowHead
latest report
RachelQ, thanks for that, Rachel, it has now gone to the very top of my wish list. Smile
snow report
Hurtle, +1 It does sound rather good doesn't it?
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
flangesax, I'm trying to persuade a multi-generational group of friends to come and fill your chalet at some point next season. I've never been to the Amade region and would love to give it a whirl.

If you need one more to make the group, I'll be up for it. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy