Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freezing Level?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What is the significance of "freezing level"?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's the height at which the air temperature is 0C. Above this, precipitation tends to be snow, below it tends to be rain.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does that mean above FL, the melt factor is any less?

What does it mean in practical terms for someone who is watching it creep higher and higher and getting more and more anxious? (I mean for the snow not me!)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes the snow will (tend) to melt below the freezing level and (generally) not above it. The temperature needs to be quite high to get (in)decent rates snow melt as it requires a lot of energy to melt snow (the same as is needed to boil the equivalent amount of water). rain does far more damage...and if you get precip. below the FL then it will normally be rain and therefore more damaging. However, the precipitation can cool the air as it drops and so it is possible for rain falling through air with a low dewpoint (wet bulb temperature, taupunkt in German) to cool it sufficiently for the rain to turn to snow. The air needs to be quite cool and you generally need dewpoints of 0 or below. The forecast dewpoints for the Alps by GFS are 0C at 2m, so there is a chance that the FL will drop as the rain moves in (though in the mountains there are other effects to take into account).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy