Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow-making in summer?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I recall an article from last year sometime on some new US technology, a machine that could produce artificial snow when outside temperatures were as high as 30°C! Anyone seen a more recent reference to this? (There were photos mid-summer at a US resort of people skiing in t-shirts while the cannon was belching out snow - haven't been able to find it again via a Google search.)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I remember seeing something like this, power consumption must be pretty steep! Anyway, it's just wrong - snow belongs on mountains in alpine regions! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This would probably be a cryogenic system, based on a snowgun which mixes liquid nitrogen, compressed air and water. It's used at movie locations and for other special effects. Obviously it can be used for a bit of sliding, but it's highly wasteful because everything melts rapidly.

The technology was used at Ayers Rock in Australia about 15 years ago for a TV science show and was known as Permasnow. It's been used in the UK too, mainly for temporary indoor snow slopes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Still, resorts are investing heavily in snow-making machinery to compensate for the projected lack of snow in years to come.... not much use though if temperatures are on the rise! I was wondering if any feasibility studies had been done on the application of this technology (consumption/cost/environmental etc)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mmmmm...sounds like a problem to set for my "Problem Solving" class!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, cultivated snow has higher resistance to melting, and when it does melt, it does so at a slower rate than the 'real thing'. Anyone know why this is? If it's to do with the ingredients, perhaps one day we'll see artificial snow that doesn't melt at all within a few degrees of freezing point. No doubt someone somewhere is working on this.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ian Hopkinson, you really are a 24 hour a day snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This idea of fighting climate change with wasteful technologies which generate heat (after all, you can't pump water, air or make liquid nitrogen without huge energy consumption) is not the future.

The future is a radical reduction in our wasteful ways.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
An ideal world. If only..... I'd put money on humanity's chance of survival long-term not resulting from a sudden flash of common sense, but from science keeping its nose in front, a kind of controlled, continuous damage limitation exercise. After all, that pretty much sums up how we've got this far Confused
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When the next big lump of matter hits the planet, it won't make much difference whether its destroying a paradise or a toxic wasteland - it's back to square one for us all.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 13-05-20 10:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Glad to see you've signed on with the 'snowHeads'! Hope you don't mind my referring readers to some of your PisteHors articles in posts I made this morning.....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Now David's reminded me of the resort and technology involved, here are the links:
THE ARTICLE

and another detailing the actual power/water consumption specs. Wonder how this compares to the standard machines?
SNOWMAGIC
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There have been recent attempts to produce an outdoor snow slope in Kent at a place called Diggerland (a kind of theme park involving mechanical diggers - don't ask). I don't know what snowmaking system they've been using.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marc - i f a smaller lump of matter hit the earth, the dust it'd throw up would curtail global warming and improve the snowfall all at the same time !

When Mt. St. Helens went up, the dustcloud lowered global temps by around a degree for several months. As always, it's simply a matter of size Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy