Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BEST BACKPACK?

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking to replace a 'Well Travelled', Rossi backpack (battered actually!) for next season and with some sale bargains available at the moment I am tempted......

I have looked at the details of the ORTOVOX EMOTION 32. Has anyone had any experience of this back?

Or any suggestions for a really, top quality, well designed pack about this size? (One day's touring needs)

I need to store a shovel, (preferably inside the pack), probe, first aid kit, an extra layer of clothing, a bit of grub, a bladder perhaps, plus the inevitable additional bits & bobs. (Hair gel, mirror, brush etc!! Toofy Grin ) It must be able to carry skis, be comfy and not have hundreds of straps to confuse me, strangle me, or hook me on a chair, T-bar, or other dangerous moving objects such as a bar stool.[/b] Madeye-Smiley Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not exactly sure but mine looks very similar (got as an Ortovox all in one discount deal with ava/probe/shovel and sac doesn't have model no.) fine pack sits well when skiing and like the specialst/quick access shovel & probe pockets. Could maybe do with a tad more space and doesn't have compression straps so everything flops to the bottom. Also personal taste, don't like the side rather than front, belly strap fastening, strap always seems to get caught up if undone on the chairs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bernard Condon wrote:

Or any suggestions for a really, top quality, well designed pack about this size? (One day's touring needs)

Yes, the Decathlon Bionnassay 32 is in my opinion one of the best small touring sacks on the market.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For an off-piste rucksack you should consider these: http://www.abssystem.com/

I do not have one but I am tempted and I know several people who have got them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got an Osprey Helios 20 which might be a little small for your needs but otherwise ticks all the boxes - phenomenally comfortable, carries skis on the semi-rigid sides, compresses to pretty much flat when you're not carrying a lot and has a bladder pocket and clip for hose. Even comes in two back sizes to cater for differences in stature.

Even more conveniently, it's on sale in Slush & Rubble at £42, I paid £60 for mine two years ago and it still looks like new.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for Osprey. The quality and comfort are very good.
I had bought a DaKine before that but the handle came off after 1 week, so I took it back for a refund.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bernard Condon,

For that lot you will probably need about 25L.

I have a Dakine at about 20L and I can carry shovel, probe, water bottle, first aid kit, spare kit and a small rope/crampons or camera. Ideally I would like a bit more space but 90% of the time it is fine and very comfortable. Never ever had a problem with it and I would call it bomb-proof.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a Da Kine helipak and it works well for me. May be a little small for your needs, but they do a slightly bigger "pro" model.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the information so far! I am examining all of the various suggestions. Some problems arise when searching - it's like all other ski products now, instead of one or two models, there are many!

Osprey have about 4 backpacks in each range, Atmos, Switch, etc, but I am getting there.

DEUTER seem to have a few good packs as well. I wonder if any snowHeads have tried them? I came across the manufacturer from Adrian's, post on ABSSYSTEM, the backpack with the air bag! (A Deuter pack with the air bag fitted by others) It is quite an interesting concept and appears to be backed up with pretty high survival rates - 98% for those unfortunate enough to be caught in an avalanche. Has anyone had any independent information on the system?

For any other snowHeads interested, I found the site www.hikingandbackpacking.com a good reference point for listing most of backpack manufacturers and their products. This brings it's own problems! From looking at 2 -3 backpacks, I am now confronted with hundreds! Help! My backpack & I shall be companions for many years (hopefully) and no doubt, we shall encounter pilot error wipe-outs, so I must choose wisely! Please keep posting the feedback as it's only from actual daily use that an item proves itself one way or the other.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a Dakine Helipack Pro which carries all that stuff you mentioned. I like it and find it quite comfy and practical. I'm quite small (5ft 3ins) and although it's a fairly big pack I don't find it restrictive.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bernard Condon wrote:
{snip} I came across the manufacturer from Adrian's, post on ABSSYSTEM, the backpack with the air bag! {snip} Has anyone had any independent information on the system? {snip}

I have seen ABS bags inflate three times, but only in demos and tests in shops. They look the part. The importer in Val d'Isere gave a demo of the strength of the actual pack and its straps, he wanted to emphasise that a bag that breaks or pulls off of you in an avalanche is useless. The ABS bags are designed to be very strong and to always stay on you - provided you do the straps up properly.

Some people who ski with them say they are just like other bags, the extra weight of the ABS system in the bag is negligible. On the other hand there are stories of pisteurs in Val d'Isere who have bad necks and blame it on the weight of the ABS bags. But they have a lot of kit in their bags.

I do not know anyone who has used an ABS bag in anger so I cannot say whether they work. The ABS site has some info on their successes and the Val d'Isere importer has told of others in conversations in the shops. The people I ski with and who have ABS bags say they feel more confident.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a deuter back pack that you can buy, if you want Smile

I bought it for cycle commuting when I lived in London, but since I live up north now it only gets used for skiing trips and I've just bought a Dakine Heli off ebay so it will be going.

Mine has metal ribbing to hold the pack away from my back. Great for cycle commuting as it allows the air to circulate and keeps me noticeably cooler. For skiing though it's about as useful as a chocolate teapot as there's no need to hold the bag away from you. The fact that the back of the pack is curved by the ribs also means it can be awkward to pack, although it is very comfortable to wear. If you need a pack for cycling as well, then it's worth looking at a deuter, but I haven;t tried their skiing packs so can't comment on those.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've had a Da Kine Heli pro for several years and would not change it (except for a new one!), and my wife has an Osprey Switch which she loves. Both the new heli pro and Osprey have hydration tubes built into the straps to stop them freezing. As a bonus, the Osprey one even seems to work wink (at least down to about -10C anyway).

Both the above will take shovel, probes etc and both have long zips which give easy acces to the main pocket. A friend has an Arc t'eryx backpack that he swears by. So many choices............. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I skied with a few guides wearing the airbag pack. it is quite heavy and the airbag takes up space (perhaps newer models are more compact). you need to take off the airbag's inlfation handle every time you are going up in a cablecar or other constricted spaces as there have been cases when curious people have pulled on it ...with very unpleasant consequences. When I was skiing in Val d'Isere in February I heard that a guide got caught in an avalanche in St Foy, he got dragged in and out the avalanche several times but ended up outside the snow, he had his airbag inflated. they seem to work.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bernard, There's no substitute for actually getting your hands on these packs and seeing how they feel, and it's particularly important to load them up while doing so. (Open Air in Cambridge used to have bundles of old rope taped up for this specific purpose). By all means pick a shortlist from the web, but get yourself to a decent store and have a proper play with them before you buy.

Looking at the Osprey website, they seem to have discontinued the Helios which I recommended, but the Switch has all those features and more. I can't praise their build quality and robustness highly enough, the damn thing feels like it will outlast me! The other key differentiator for me is the fact that they make the packs in different back lengths, I don't know of anyone else that does that for day packs.

That said, I know a lot of people have had equal success with the Dakine Heli(pro). YMMV.

On a different note, and without wishing to start a debate on the effectiveness of the ABS system backpacks, pressurised air cartridges and aircraft don't mix... I'm sure the big European resorts will have somewhere you can pick up the necessary bits, but if you're off the beaten track and can't get a cartridge, what's the point?
ski holidays
starnberg, Purely as a matter of interest, I came across the following statement from ABS Systems,

"Since 2003 it is officially permitted by the IATA organisation to take your ABS pack with you when you travel by air worldwide. Please print out the enclosed .pdf file and present it to the check in personell at the airport. These forms are also available at (most) airports.

As far as we know, all European airlines transport the ABS without a problem. Due to recent developments American airlines tend to refuse the transportation of ABS. Please check with your airline before you book your flight."

I wonder how many pisteurs use them?

The search continues for the dream backpack and I agree with you regarding getting my hands on the packs. However, I don't have access to shops here with levels of stock, or choice and I am a bit restricted to on-line ordering, hence my post here for some honest testimonials. If it's good enough for snowHeads.....

Rignt now, it's off to the Osprey website!
snow report
Interesting - their FAQs on the ABS website suggest you'd have to register the canister with the airlines at least two weeks in in advance of your flight in order for it to get there on time. Looks like they need to do a little updating...

Plenty of the Schischule Arlberg instructors seemed to be carrying them last week, can't say I noticed whether or not the Pisteurs were.
ski holidays
Quote:

I am looking to replace a 'Well Travelled', Rossi backpack (battered actually!) for next season and with some sale bargains available at the moment I am tempted

Don't go for the Scott Freedom 35. It has a ski carrying system, and also a strap for a snowboard, but it was obviously designed by a boarder as all the original ski straps have fallen off.
ski holidays
I have an Osprey Helios 20 which is great for running home from work but a little small for touring. So I have a Da Kine Pro II (update of heli pro and a little larger) for skiing.

I think the Da Kine's a little more comfortable (broader straps) but they're both good and it's better desigend for shovel, probe, etc.

A mate also rates the Arc'teryx Miura (?) 35 - which is a fine bit of kit.
snow conditions
I thinks Da kine's are great for a day pack and range from 18 to 22 lites I think. If you are going to carry the obvious kit like
shovel, probe etc and maybe a small rope the pack will be pretty full. It will be comfortable with waist and shoulder straps and will be able to carry skis and an axe. If you need a longish rope you will be running out of room and therefore need 25l plus, I think. But for a day pack they are great
ski holidays
David Murdoch, Couldn't find the 'MIURA'. They have 'Khamski' and 'Bora' which are quite big bags, on www.arcteryx.com. Would you be able to check the name please?
ski holidays
I bought a Deuter pack for ice climbing, but have skiied with it - fantastic kit.
snow report
Scarpa, Thanks for your post - Which pack do you have? What size is it and does it store safety gear - shovel, probe etc, internally?
latest report
Bernard Condon, It's the Aircontact 35-45 (extendable lid to 45l). Has an air pumping effect in the back padding - very good for hot weather climbing. I bought a litle triangular strap gadget that holds a shovel to the back - and their are plenty of storage straps on the sides for probes, and ice axe loops on the back (velcro closure). As it is used mainly for climbing I wanted clean lines with little to get caught in confined spaces. The compression straps are useful to keep weight close to your back when the sack is half empty. All in all - a lovely tough yet lightweight multifunction rucksack.
snow conditions
Bernard, I've had great luck with the BCA (BackCountry Access) "Stash" pack. I use the regular-sized stash pack, which is just large enough for shovel, probe, 2 liter bladder and a small amount of gear. This pack is very nice for lift-served off-piste skiing, it is designed to fit close to your body, and is very clean outside (no straps to catch on lifts, etc.). They also make a "Stash BC" model for full backcountry touring. All of the stash line feature a bladder tube which routes thru the shoulder strap, avoiding freezing.
ski holidays
I have recently heard two stories of ABS purchasing reasons.

At the top of a big snowface. The professional guide and all but one of the clients put their handles in. The other client felt vunerable.

One man was wondering whether the cost was too much. His wife reminded him that he had just paid £30000 for a new car so was £500 significant?

A tranceiver is both a selfish and a benevolent purchase as they both transmit and receive. Shovels and probes are purely benevolent as they cannot save yourself in an avalanche, but they do have other minor uses. Peer pressure to buy shovels and probe is reasonable. Is peer pressure a good reason to buy an ABS bag?
ski holidays
Bernard Condon, sorry haven't been auditing this trail of late.

His is the M30. A very mice pack indeed. (I think Miura was a pre-production name)...
latest report
Holy thread resurrection Batman!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Best troll ever!
snow report
And on the third day the stone was rolled away.

1st post and only 13 years too late.
ski holidays
Sorry, for those wondernig what's going on I killed the spam post that bumped this thread
snow report
@nbt, I was tempted to as well but left it in for context!
snow report
davidof wrote:
Bernard Condon wrote:

Yes, the Decathlon Bionnassay 32 is in my opinion one of the best small touring sacks on the market.

Agreed. This is my one day touring pack or work/guiding pack. Just big enough when skiing on the big hill and need to carry rappel ropes etc.
ski holidays
@nbt, such a shame I wanted to possibly use that as an example of shittey SEO work Laughing
snow report
I tried some very cheap outdoor ones never fully satifisfied including from decatlhon, they feel cheap and weak (mine broke apart) although good value for money in general... got the dakine heli pro 20L, not too big, not too smal and very robust and well finished.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy