Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Probably the best way to get in shape / rehab for the Mountains - trust me!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As some of you may know I do a fair amount of "stuff" that involves a little more than just skiing / boarding on the piste (skinning up Mountains etc etc) - so I do prepare myself. I usually enter a marathon in April / May so that keeps me focused in training in the Winter months so by the time I hit the Mountains I'm pretty fit and then spending 4-5 weeks out there doing a ski tour once a week helps the overall fitness, as long as you don't fall off a cliff rolling eyes

Obviously I'm not advocating here to go out and train for a marathon just for your one week holiday, though if you do a lot of running and or cycling it's great for the skiing and boarding.

Back in August I did something to my shoulder windsurfing (which I do a lot of) and being the wrong side of 50 it was one of those frustrating injuries that just seems to not want to heal. I've been to Osteo's / Physios and no real joy. It's actually not that serious as in a tear / dislocation.

Over the years of windsurfing, cycling, running and other physical stuff my body looks wise is not in too bad a shape - however I have so many "mechanical" problems from previous injuries if I was a horse I'd probably be put down!

As the shoulder was not healing that well I happened to mention it to a mate and he suggested Bikram Yoga - as his wife had a frozen shoulder and this really helped. I had no idea what he was on about, he did tell me, knowing that I was "fit" that even I would find it damn hard - so being the sort of competitive git I am I took that as a challenge, especially after a bit of "Googling" what actually Bikram is.

Bikram basically is extreme Yoga, extreme because it is done in 40-42 degrees, I sweat like a pig so I always knew it was going to be hard, plus I'm so inflexible after years of not stretching; and running / cycling tightens your quads / hamstrings, I knew I was always going to be one of the "worse ones" in a class, not something from an ego perspective I'm used to!

The first class you are told that your main aim is just to stay in the room for 90 mins, don't worry if you feel faint, if you feel ill then just lie down and relax and breath deeply. And was it hot!!!!!!!!!

I was all over the place - after the initial breathing you go into various standing exercises, some balancing on one foot, one posture akin to sitting / squatting against a wall - all these really good for your inner core - you then go on to various exercises on the floor - many for the back etc

I've now been doing it for around three months, I'm a little better at most of the poses now but still can't claim to be proficient in any of them, the only negative is that I think I over stretched a knee ligament and knackered it running so that's stopped me running so I've sort of gone backward - prior to that I was only running once or twice a week and was amazed / stunned at the times I was doing with hardly any training (sub 7min mile pace 10km / 1:37:00 half marathon) sort of times I'd expect to do after three / four months of intensive running training!

I've taken quite a few mates there now, one of them, a top cyclists in Sussex said afterwards that it was one of the hardest 90 min sessions he's ever done!

It seems that the "athletes" that go there for rehab etc find it really hard as we're so inflexible, whilst people that have not done a great deal of sport have no problems at all, hardly sweat and can go all the poses - so I quite often end up with someone next to me who is not exactly "sporting" and they're superstars at it.

That's what's so good, people of all shapes and sizes do it - it's all about practice and not performance.

I'm sure that if you give it a go YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED

The good thing is that most studios do a taster - the one that we go to (The Mrs does it as well and swears 100% that it's sorted all her knee probs out) near Brighton offers 30 days for £30 - you can go as often as you want in the 30 days - for those doing rehab that's less that one physio session!

Anyway, it must be said that those that do it end up becoming Bikram Bores almost evangelical about it.

So go and Google it and see for yourself
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
so good you knackered your knee Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
red 27, re read it s l o w l y

"I think I over stretched it" and "knackered it running" - not doing the Yoga - maybe as I was feeling so strong I pushed it too much running - who knows - like I said Goggle"Bikram" and see what others say.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did you fix your shoulder tho? I knew you'd be hard. Toofy Grin I like your idea of having something to aim for in spring. I'm building up to some sportive event in June, so hopefully won't go to mad this christmas. Embarassed
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Even the devotees say that - unsurprisingly - most Bikram studios smell disgusting. No thanks.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle, well you're totally wrong there - that is based on the one studio I attend - and it will very much depend on the matting etc per studio so your comment is rather unfounded as is the way of Internet Forums and those who comment without actually any knowledge based on personal experience.

However you'd be a bit of a plonker if you thought that where people sweated profusely that there was not going to be a slight odour!

As for the shoulder, getting better...........is that time or the Bikram Puzzled

I actually should have got the other half to do this thread to avoid the sniping, but I like to be honest............she has only had positive results.

Plus like I said, for someone who is just looking to get in shape for a ski holiday it's a different and economic alternative to the usual stuff.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam,
Quote:

well you're totally wrong there - that is based on the one studio I attend - and it will very much depend on the matting etc per studio so your comment is rather unfounded as is the way of Internet Forums and those who comment without actually any knowledge based on personal experience.

However you'd be a bit of a plonker if you thought that where people sweated profusely that there was not going to be a slight odour!
Erm, can you spot the 'slight' inconsistency in these two sentences?

I'm afraid that I really detest BO, to the extent that it affects my breathing - obviously not a good thing when exercising. I once had a singing teacher that I had to stop going to, because her studio stank and I couldn't breathe properly, also somewhat disadvantageous for singing. Sorry, a personal foible, but enough to put me off nevertheless. And I have read numerous articles about Bikram, as well as known several people who do it, and the smell is almost invariably mentioned: there was one such article in the business section of The Times only a couple of days ago.

I'm glad you enjoy it and find it beneficial, it's just not for me.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you want some other simple guides that cater for all levels and help you get fit for the slopes then have a look at some simple to follow guides I have written! No equipment needed and anyone can do them.

Enjoy and I hope they are helpful Very Happy

Jim
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can anyone suggest any reorts with decent gyms? All I have found so far is this http://www.gymvisit.com/findagym.htm?loc=zskidestinations

I need to continue my sportstrainign whiel away skiing....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok guys n'gals me and the Mrs just back from a week's bombing around the pistes of Serre Chevalier - we skied hard n'fast with the Mrs having to playcatch up when we were skiing with some fairly quick dudses and we were both very surprised and pleased as to how ski fit we were as this year we both have done very little running but Bikram at least three times a week - so as I suspected it does the job!

Have to say I did not do (saving the knee) steeps and bumps and cruddy off piste till the last day and I was ok fitness wise doing that, but knee was complaining.

Quite a few that we skied with commented that they too would be investigating Bikram as they could see how both of us (52 & 57) were ok and we were nigh on 20yrs older!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh totally hijacking thread but was Serre Chevalier lovely I have fond memories of a one day trip there after a big dump of snow aah memories

I'm gong to look up Bikram for when get back !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy