Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transceiver/mobile phone interference

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Assuming that your transceiver is in a case just below your left ribs, where do you carry your phone so that it doesn’t interfere with the transceiver? None of my suitable jacket pockets are more than 20cm from the tranceiver. Should it be in Airplane mode? Ideas please.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I usually carry mine in my thigh pocket, or you could put it in your backpack. There was some research a few months ago, and iirc, smartwatches were just as if not more problematic than phones. I'll try and find it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.alpine-guides.com/ski/insider-knowledge-ski/transceiver-interference-advice/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_EU/stories/qc-lab-beacon-interference/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

There was some research a few months ago

This, I think: https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_EU/stories/qc-lab-beacon-interference/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Every guide I've used has advised to switch off, or at least put phones into flight safe mode while skiing off piste - but they don't enforce it (it's your choice and your rescue you're potentially compromising) and it's about 50/50 those who do it themselves vs. those who leave their phones on. I have though seem those who leave them on switch them off, usually right before telling us where we're about to go has an elevated avalanche risk so leave gaps/go one at a time/etc - so even they switch off when the risk is high.

In principle phones shouldn't interfere with transceivers...but do you want "My phone shouldn't have stopped them finding me alive" to be the last thing you think while burried under a meter of snow?

And it doesn't matter too much where you put your phone relative to your transceiver, it's where the 2 end up after you've been tumble dried by the avalanche that does.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 26-03-24 16:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@geoffers, excellent article, thank you
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@CathyAuLait, There isn't really a debate about this anymore. Just switch it off and put it in your backpack. There are now multiple scientific studies that show that they do interfere with transceivers, as do large metallic objects and anything with a battery.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy