Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting from Meribel to Val d'isere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been doing alot of research but am finding it hard to get a clear answer.

I will be going to Meribel and Val d'isere for a week each and would like to plan how I'm going get from one to the other.

I'm guessing I'll have to go to either moutiers or Bourg st Maurice to transfer but your insights would be greatly appreciated.

Are there public buses? Ive had a look at the altibus website but it's not working for me. Is it necessary to book in advance? I'll be transferring on April 3rd.

Thank you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Transfer companies may be a worthwhile scouting-out. The problem with using the Moutiers-Bourg St Maurice train route is that it still leaves you with a good half-hour journey either side and might end up being more of a faf than it's worth. Check out the Meribel-based transfer companies or Mountain Playground Transfers to see what can be done. In a car, it should only take about 1 hour, just over.

There is always the possibility of hitch-hiking from Moutiers as well given that it is one road out to VDI.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks! Do you you know how many euro an hour shuttle/taxi would cost? That seems like the easiest option
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brookebowrey, Like Astraeus said, if it's just you, consider hitchhiking. There is always traffic on those roads, and people tend to stop for hitcher's in the mountains more than they might elsewhere ..... I might even stop for you myself wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some years ago I had a week in Val Thorens (next door to Meribel, in the 3 valleys) with one holiday company and the next week in val d'Isere with another company. The first company detoured the transfer bus via Moutier railway station, just for me. Then I got a train from Moutier to Bourg st Maurice. The second company was meeting the ski train and so I travelled with them to Val d'Isere. Simples! If you are using package holidays then ask them. My transfer was organised by the holiday company reps while I was in the resort.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,

Have a go at looking at the coach companies - Trans-isere or Autocars Martin. They are the main the bus companies within the Tarrentaise valley. the journey should only take about 1h30, depending how many stops they do, you may have to change at the gare routiere de Moutier. I think when i did the trip a few years ago it costed 50euros one way. I booked the ticket at the gare routiere de meribel the week i was there. If you book it on the monday, you should be ok for getting space, there are quite a few buses that do that route on change over days.

I have to say though, that taking the bus down to Moutiere, then the train to Bourge, then the bus back up to Val D, is a pain, especially if you have kit with you! So i suggest you try to avoid it, although the french will try to sell you that first.

Good luck.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When in Meribel go to the tourist info office & ask about local buses. At the very least you should be able to get Meribel to Moutier, Moutier to Bourg St Maurice, BsM to Val D'Isere. Chances are there will be more 'direct' buses.
Also ask around the seasonnires in Meribel (try in the main bars eg Rond Point, Jacks, Doron) - chances are someone will be up for earning a bit of cash to drive you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Brookebowrey, you don't absolutely need a transfer from Bourg St Maurice up, you can take the funicular up to Arc 1600 (free if you have a lift pass) and then there are frequent ski buses that will take you to the various bits of les Arcs for free.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
Brookebowrey, you don't absolutely need a transfer from Bourg St Maurice up, you can take the funicular up to Arc 1600 (free if you have a lift pass) and then there are frequent ski buses that will take you to the various bits of les Arcs for free.

Not much use for Val D'Isere, though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone for your replies I guess we'll just take it as it comes!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you Kenzie, I am an @rse Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey,

I'm about to do the exact same trip in a weeks time: Meribel to Val d'Isere.

Any further advice? I know this was a long time ago but hoping someone might have done it and be able to describe the best way.

Thanks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
djj19,

You can take the gondola from Meribel to Brides Les Bains (25 minutes and free of charge for downhill, I think. I don't recall seeing any ticket reading machine for the descent) then take the bus from Brides to Moutiers (10/15 mins approx €5 one way) From Moutiers take the train (35 mins & approx €13 each way) to Bourg St Maurice, then the bus from there to Val D (1 hour, €21.50 return).

Alternatively you could do the whole route by bus.

Info from/bus tickets are bookable at www.Altibus.com

I think it should be a relatively straightforward trip - but best to travel relatively light, although you won't have to carry luggage very far for each leg of the journey.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, the gondola down from Meribel to Brides Les Bains is free.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is so helpful thank you.

Do you know if these transport services will be running on a Sunday? When I looked the bus from Bourg St Maurice didn't seem to be but I may be mistaken
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy