Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season ending injury (but could've been so much worse!)

Poster: A snowHead
Whilst on a long weekend in the Grand Massif with some friends just over 3 weeks ago an 11 year old boy crashed into my back sending me flying into the air before landing on my back, dazed, winded and in considerable pain. Several lovely people stopped to help me, but despite suggestions of calling for the blood wagon I eventually skied down to the medical centre in Flaine where they diagnosed 5 broken ribs and a pneumothorax!

I was transferred to the hospital in Sallanches where I had a chest drain inserted which remained in for 4 days. I stayed in hospital for 6 days and had to remain in France for a further 6 days before being allowed to fly home with an accompanying doctor! All in all not how I imagined my weekend would end up and of course it's put paid to the rest of the season!

The boy that hit me came, with his parents, to see me in hospital which I thought was very brave as they had no idea what sort of reception they'd get! It turns out they live in the same village our chalet's in!

I had brilliant care both at the clinic and during my 6 day stay in hospital and can honestly say my french improved hugely Laughing

If your name is Mat and you were skiing in Flaine on the 5th feb and you stopped to help me I want to say a huge thank you for having the presence of mind to get all the necessary names and phone numbers for me and for all your concern and help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimum, wow, that's a salutary tale! Hope you're on the mend, although I recommend French lessons next time you're looking to improve your language skills...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, Laughing I'll bear that in mind next time! Yes slowly but surely on the mend thanks but it's an unbelievably painful injury. I've been told that although the ribs will be mended in about 6 weeks it'll be a lot longer until I'm pain free due to muscle and soft tissue damage! Thank god this was a small 11 year old and not an adult, I think it would've killed me!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimum, I did ribs last season, but nowhere near as bad as you. Try not to laugh. Or cough. Or sneeze.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimum, hope the pain goes quickly. I have seen a pneumothorax in action - an excellent party trick Madeye-Smiley
Get well soon.
Well done to the lads parents for coming to see you in hospital.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimum, ouch!! Shocked Shocked Get well soon!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimum, oooh, painful. And like you say, could have been so much worse. Look after yourself.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimum, sounds very painful Sad Best wishes for a speedy recovery snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimum, oh dear. Well done to the lad's parents for getting him to front up. Well done Mat.

Best wishes for a swift recovery (and ouch, ouch, ouch)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Well done to the lad's parents for getting him to front up

Definite +1 on that
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How long before the 'H' word is mentioned I wonder...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
red 27, can't see what that would have to do with an abdominal injury...unless, of course, the boy was wearing one and hit skimum with his head... wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, you've answered your own question there
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, well spotted. But we shouldn't joke about skimum's accident, even if it makes her laugh (especially if it makes her laugh - that will hurt.)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, true! sorry skimum, I promise no more silly helmet jokes - get well soon, it sounds like you were very brave, very calm and all in all a Credit To The Empire! snowHead
snow report
red 27, the 'funny' thing is that I think it must have been his helmet protected head that made impact with my back! He was airborne at the time of impact (so I'm told) having been skiing very fast over a roller, fortunately he was unhurt (although I have to admit to not feeling this charitable initially). I reckon that impact broke my ribs and then the landing caused them to pierce my lung!

I was very very impressed that the boy and his parents turned up at the hospital, they also phoned our french friends every 2 days to check on my progress!

May I say that I was wearing a helmet at the time, which probably saved me from a nasty concussion Very Happy

Thanks very much for all your kind messages, much appreciated.
ski holidays
skimum, oh dear, I'm sorry my facetiousness was more accurate than I intended. Embarassed
ski holidays
Hurtle, don't worry it made me laugh Laughing and you're right about it hurting!
ski holidays
skimum, Sad
snow report
skimum, Ouch! I had 2 broken ribs after a fall a good few years ago. Hurts like hell, laughing, laying down, coughing all added to the pain. 6 sleepless weeks until it didn't hurt to lay down.

There that cheered you up didn't it.
snow report
Youch skimum, sounds awful Sad Hope you make a good recovery and aren't in too much pain
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy