Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I is for Ibuprofen

Poster: A snowHead
"Vitamin I, the skier's vitamin" as it is sometimes referred to, is an anti-inflamatory. It can do nasty things to your stomach lining - known possible side effects include stomach discomfort, nausea and diarrhoea, and occasionally bleeding. And in OD, tinnitis as well.
Asthmatics should be particularly cautious, as they may be allergic to it.

On the upside, it can help with the aches and pains of skiing snowHead

Take it with care.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
... after a nice evening meal.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Other known side effects include possible perforated ulcer, and occasionally death. I would choose paracetamol instead every time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, works just as well too. If you have an injury, ibuprofen would perhaps be a better choice, but for the general aches and pains , paracetamol every time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The scary thing about paracetamol though is the small gap between recommended dose and lethal dose. What is it? recommended = 8/24hrs Lethal = 20-30/24hrs ?
What with all the commercial remedies that contain it, it's all too easy to take more than u realise.
Also, for someone with a dodgy liver, isn't Ibuprofen is less problematic?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
H is for hypochondriac (Hat!) (only kidding!)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin, correct on the liver bit, and thanks for editing my post!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
admin, Ibuprofen ( and other similar drugs) should be avoided in liver disease. Paracetamol is a safe drug at recommended doses.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
admin, I believe what you are describing is known as the therapeutic index (going back to my drug design lecture at uni) which roughly speaking is a comparison between the effictive dose and the lethal dose. (actually ED50/LD50).

At the time of that lecture 10 years ago, Paracetamol (aceamidophenol) was famous for being the drug with a therapeutic index closest to 1 which was freely available to buy.

That said, all the above still applies. Paracetamol is the safest taken at the right dosage. Just don't take too many!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I thought it started with N, as in Neurofen?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chrisb, Nurofen is a brand name of some painkillers, http://www.nurofen.com/ , whereas ibuprofen is the generic name.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Must admit I swear by ibuprofen gel 10%

Many hard to get rid of strains and muscle aches linger longer until the magic gel is applied snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Slowplough, surely you are joking? I was given Ibuprofen by my doctor to get me through the first night after having a fully dislocated shoulder. He told me to take it for the first couple of nights and then only, and really only, if the pain got too much to handle. You're telling me you take the stuff for sore muscles Shocked
Get yourself down to a Sauna. Get the kecks off. Get yourself baked. Get yourself frozen. Relax for thirty minutes. Then get to the bar and get the Weissbier down. Forget Ibuprofen!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

occasionally bleeding
Quote:

perforated ulcer, and occasionally death.

Quote:

paracetamol lethal dose

See these all too regularly at work Shocked
Slowplough I too have started using the gel when skiing and found it very effective snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is the gel hard to swallow?
snow report
Mike Lawrie,
Not for the pain, but somehow ibuprofen gel will get rid of a muscle/tendon strain in a couple of days instead of a couple of weeks/months.

Linds, Where do you rub it?????? Shocked Shocked

WTFH You should take it out of the tube first................
ski holidays
Quote:

Where do you rub it??????

Everywhere cos it will all hurt the next day anyway Shocked Laughing
Being sensible (for a change),
I have found using the gel very effective although having done some stretching awarness whilst at EPIC recently I think that in the past some of my aches and pains may have been from lack of or in-effective stretching pre and post skiing Shocked
snow conditions
snowplough, i used the gel when i got a strain injury last year and it works a treat!!!
i take it everywhere with me just isncase!
ski holidays
A proper warm up before skiing and cool down after skiing would prevent alot of the aches and pains. After do a good 10-15 sec stretch on each of your leg muscles. I play alot of football and after training/games, i know the next day/2 days whether i did a proper cool down.

Going to the extreme's an ice bath is also great for recovery of muscles, so sure get into the shorts and take a run outside and sit in the snow for a while then back into the sauna, repeat a couple of times. It's some shock to the system.
ski holidays
Whatever, I swear by Ibuprofen. There is nothing that cures my headache better than Ibuprofen. In fact, there is nothing else that helps me at all. Whether drug or not, I use it. And so far it did not destroy either of my bowels or harm me another way. You are only allowed 1200 mg per day anyway. That's not too much - not even if you take it couple of days in a row.
snow report
lol i love this section
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
... after a nice evening meal.

Stops hangovers as well.
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
Other known side effects include possible perforated ulcer, and occasionally death. I would choose paracetamol instead every time.

Take your point - difficult to ski when suffering from Death.
snow conditions
cjh5, Laughing
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
admin, Ibuprofen ( and other similar drugs) should be avoided in liver disease. Paracetamol is a safe drug at recommended doses.

Whoa, no, Paracetomol is the commonest cause of liver failure in the UK and America, that's acute as opposed to the sclerotic chronic effects of alcohol.

Ibuprofen a synthesis of the original aspirin compound is just a bit vicious on the stomach lining but it's effecst can be offset by Proton Pump Inhibitors like Omeprazole and Lansoprazole.

Addicts like me go for Co-Codamol everytime Cool
ski holidays
Lilacdream wrote:
Whatever, I swear by Ibuprofen. There is nothing that cures my headache better than Ibuprofen. In fact, there is nothing else that helps me at all. Whether drug or not, I use it. And so far it did not destroy either of my bowels or harm me another way. You are only allowed 1200 mg per day anyway. That's not too much - not even if you take it couple of days in a row.

Ibuprofen is a great and effective drug, and if taken on a full stomach or with a PPI and unless you have a history of peptic or duodenal ulcers is fine over 3-4 day period.

There is a slow release version, often marketed as a backpain version, and is often used by sports people with nagging injuries to assist with easing inflammation
latest report
Ratae Corieltauvorum, just don't do that if you are working for an American company that insists on drug tests. You will fail and have some serious explaining to do. My sister lost her commercial flying license for a year as a result of popping a couple of co-codamol from my mothers medicine chest... And no she does not normally do opiates, or even alcohol!
snow conditions
Steilhang wrote:
Ratae Corieltauvorum, just don't do that if you are working for an American company that insists on drug tests. You will fail and have some serious explaining to do. My sister lost her commercial flying license for a year as a result of popping a couple of co-codamol from my mothers medicine chest... And no she does not normally do opiates, or even alcohol!

Co-codamol is an over the counter med in the UK, and quite a few EU companies
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ratae Corieltauvorum, indeed, and it contain codeine, which will cause you to fail a drugs test in the USA!
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
Ratae Corieltauvorum, indeed, and it contain codeine, which will cause you to fail a drugs test in the USA!
latest report
I love those three words in the same sentence snowHead "test, drugs, USA"
snow report
Ratae Corieltauvorum, she was not working for US Postal.
snow conditions
Ratae Corieltauvorum, as I said, paracetamol is safe if taken at the recommended dose.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
Ratae Corieltauvorum, as I said, paracetamol is safe if taken at the recommended dose.

The safe dose for paracetomol would not be the 4mg/24hrs for someone with liver disease or cirrhosis or even a non cirrhotic alcoholic. For an alcohlic at any particular stage a relatively small dose can be fatal.
snow report
Ratae Corieltauvorum, I never said it was.
snow report
Sorry HB, but you implied that Ibuprofen was not safe for those with hepatic issues while paracetomol was, unless I read your post very wrong
snow conditions
Ratae Corieltauvorum, reading back i see that you could probably read it that way. However, this may put you right on the use of paracetamol v NSAIDS in liver disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15767831
latest report
Ratae Corieltauvorum, and I think you mean 4g/24 hours, not 4mg.
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
Ratae Corieltauvorum, reading back i see that you could probably read it that way. However, this may put you right on the use of paracetamol v NSAIDS in liver disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15767831

Interesting article, albeit 6 years old, but nearly all alcohol abuse practitioners go out of their way to discourage the use of paracetamol in patients with alcohol related problems, and in some treatment centres, will not administer paracetamol without a LFT.

They will however administer Ibuprofen with no LFT.
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
Ratae Corieltauvorum, and I think you mean 4g/24 hours, not 4mg.

Indeed I did, mea maxima culpa
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy