Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
@honeybunny Ali you have given me a new bit to find Happy you would think I should know that

And always wondered what was across the stream I know the answer to that now too

Thanks @chocksaway

I am not out there till march , foolishly I have decided to go to St Anton for Chrimbo

Snowfall at Anton since Nov 28th little to none

Snowfall where I normally ski Christmas since the same date 100"

That will teach me to worry about the $$$

Apologies for going off topic rolling eyes Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Russeh - thanks.... but yes as chocksaway says in return for a pass for the season we have to do a number of days community service... things we can do include (but are not limited to) working on the World Cup... so thats why invariably we all end doing at least one day a season.

jacknottm - thanks - good idea - ill see what I can do!

Sneachta2013 - yea I think we will get something but its not a traditional depressional front that is for sure... it is more what we call locally a 'retour d'est' whereby it is localised weather along the Italian border and the snow that falls could be quite deep up on the Fornet glacier but as 'locally' as possible even in Val d'Isere town itself there could be little to nothing. I hope I am wrong but I dont think it is going to 'change' the current situation too much. However get up high and stay high and there should be enough for everyone OR if you are feeling energetic go for a LONG skin off piste and you'll get some tracks somewhere!

chocksaway - yea you have some great analysis going on... I am pretty stretched with work commitments and a young family too but like to try my best.... interestingly enough I am a qualified secondary school Geography teacher and certainly spent plenty of time learning how to interpret synopic weather charts AND my late father was a commerical pilot for 40 odd years so guess looking at the weather is in my bones a little too!!!! (chocksaway - he worked on 'autoland' and CATIII testing back in the 70's!!!! - you'll know what I mean by that)

HoneyBunny and chocksaway - thanks - think your directions and advise pretty much covers it all there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That was a pleasant day

Its not often that you get 2 nice surprised in one day and surprised I was...

Clare took Olivia to watch the ski racing whilst I headed out for work for the day... I was meeting up with a friend of a son of a relation of one of my wives father... one of those long connections. Anyway all I new was that he was in his early 20's, a complete beginner and a Royal Marine Commando. Now very often (and probably not surprisingly you will understand) when you hear such 'details' for a booking on our booking system you start imagining how you are going to manage the situation to stop the person killing themself or another person through brute strength in place of skill, bravado and testosterone in place of caution and pacing oneself!!!!

Anyway I need not have worried as he was great and made such quick progress but listening attentively. He took to it very naturally and by the end of the morning he was coming down the Madelaine - bravo... I just hope he took my advice to not over do it this afternoon and 'play it safe'. Clare has him tomorrow morning so she will see!

The afternoon I had a fellow Snowhead (I actually dont know her username) but it sounded like a string of injuries last year might make for a 'nervous' student that might need quite a lot of coaxing... as it turned out she was a really natural skier that just needed 'retuning' and confidence building.... so it turned into a really fun afternoon in the end. Bravo - more of the same tomorrow.

After fitting in my periscope...

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1OyKAAXDMkDKb?autoplay&t=6

... I headed home for some family time and to hear all about the families day... before we settled down for a family roast... and have just been catching up on some emails and now watching the end of SPOTY2016!

So in other local news there was a middle aged British man that took a huge tumble on the Face last night on pretty much the last run of the day... his facial injuries apparently were so bad that he was helicopterd to Albertville hospital... in fact I saw the chopper coming in after dark last night and wondered what that was a you dont see the chopper flying at night normally! I hope he is OK!

The last day of world cup was today with the Womens Super G and by all accounts it went off well... so after nearly 3 weeks back to back racing that is that over for another year - phew!

Everyone seems to be talking about either a) lack of snow in the alps or b) the (hopefully) huge snowstorms that are coming this way.... well (read what I have put above too) firstly the snow is pretty good in the EK at the moment although to get fresh tracks you have to hike OR know the secret stashes and there is not a disaster looming for the Xmas and NY period in these parts but the upcoming storm might be a freshen up of the pistes but not a game changer... however having said all that this photo was taken of a colleague out there in the EK TODAY...

...and as people hopefully know the EK has AMAZING artifical snow making facilities... check out this photo taken first thing this morning on the nursery slopes in town - the snow cannons are going crazy still to keep things topped up nicely where it is vitally needed!

TTFN
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We're out here again in Val d'Isere for the 5th time (1st trip was a terrific stay in Steve's old letting apartment and the week of the exciting filming for his TV show debut!).

Lovely sunny day today and the conditions are pretty decent. We skied the same time last year and there is definitely more snow high up this time. Pistes are pretty quiet although I imagine it will all change with the slightly odd Tuesday to Tuesday changeover this year. Wednesday could be a busy day.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Steve Angus, Thanks Steve, living through the pioneering days like your Dad must have been quite something, that's when pilots really earned their crust, today's may be just a little pampered wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I saw this in the UK National Press:

"If you’re heading for Val d’Isere, you’re in for a treat. It’s currently enjoying the best start to a season in at least 25 years, with piste conditions nothing short of superb — some of the best in Europe right now.
Five metres of snow fell here in just 36 hours. Other resorts with good cover are Tignes, Val Thorens, Serre Chevalier, Val Cenis and Montgenevre"

Did 5 metres of snow really fall in 36 hours recently?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

"If you’re heading for Val d’Isere, you’re in for a treat. It’s currently enjoying the best start to a season in at least 25 years, with piste conditions nothing short of superb — some of the best in Europe right now.
Five metres of snow fell here in just 36 hours. Other resorts with good cover are Tignes, Val Thorens, Serre Chevalier, Val Cenis and Montgenevre"

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Red Leon wrote:

UK National Press? Not The Daily Mail was it? Also no, 5 metres of snow have not recently fallen.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Minion1980 wrote:
Red Leon wrote:

UK National Press? Not The Daily Mail was it? Also no, 5 metres of snow have not recently fallen.

Thanks - I assumed I would have heard about the ensuing chaos on SnowHeads had it been true.
BTW, does it matter which paper it was in?? Is a journalist's error / fabrication less worthy of mention if it's published in the Observer or Grauniad than in the Sun or the Mail?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, it was the Daily Mail:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=%22Five+metres+of+snow+fell+here+in+just+36+hours%22

And yes, it does matter which paper it was in, not because the error/fabrication is less or more worthy as a result, but because it helps us build up a picture of how reliable that publication might be at fact checking so we can use appropriately sized pinches of salt with its future articles.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I took a wild stab at The Mail, I would advise against believing anything you read in that rag.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chocksaway wrote:

@HoneyBunny, For Triffolet ski down the line of the 'semolina 'poma as you describe above but turn left over the bridge. Triffolet is the other side of the stream (or Vallée Pardue). However, it is often mogulled and there is no snow making so spends most of the time closed (but it is the exit for most of the lower part of the Familial Off piste area).

Ohhh so you go the same way! I think I've gone past where you turn onto it many times but it's always been closed.

harvsurrey wrote:
@honeybunny Ali you have given me a new bit to find Happy you would think I should know that

Good luck, it's a nice quiet little way down.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Minion1980

Brilliant. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HoneyBunny wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

@HoneyBunny, For Triffolet ski down the line of the 'semolina 'poma as you describe above but turn left over the bridge. Triffolet is the other side of the stream (or Vallée Pardue). However, it is often mogulled and there is no snow making so spends most of the time closed (but it is the exit for most of the lower part of the Familial Off piste area).

Ohhh so you go the same way! I think I've gone past where you turn onto it many times but it's always been closed.

harvsurrey wrote:

Good luck, it's a nice quiet little way down.
Another route to Triffolet is via the 'Hidden Valley'.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bedrock barney - trip down memory lane!!!!!! Yes the pistes are in good shape eh! The changeover day situation is very interchangeable from tour op to tour op... they are all over the place and doing different things therefore I dont think there is a going to be clear start days for peoples weeks etc until about the first week in January!!!!

chocksaway - yup sure was I guess - he started flying in WWII so saw a huge development in aviation that was for sure!

As for the...

Quote:
If you’re heading for Val d’Isere, you’re in for a treat. It’s currently enjoying the best start to a season in at least 25 years, with piste conditions nothing short of superb — some of the best in Europe right now.
Five metres of snow fell here in just 36 hours. Other resorts with good cover are Tignes, Val Thorens, Serre Chevalier, Val Cenis and Montgenevre

... I dont really care about where it was but I just dont know where they get it from...

The 'best start to a season in at least 25 years'..... ummmmmm NO definately NO but certainly not the worst either!

Piste conditions are generally pretty good (up high) but I think 'superb' is big word to use!

'Some of the best in Europe right now' - yes probably (although that could all change in the next 24 hours - who knows!)

'Five metres in 36 hours' - I can assure you that that is almost impossible anywhere anytime and if it were true there would not be amazing conditions as it would be too dangerous to even go outside let alone up the hill and experience it.... a couple metres in 36 hours is good going anywhere anytime!

All I can say is that it is rather 'sensationalist' in this case! BUT AT LEAST THEY ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT IT BEING 100% GREEN OR ANYTHING
snow conditions
Well that WAS SHOCKINGLY COLD

The air temperature was slightly 'warmer' on the thermo at breakfast time BUT it looked gloomy out there AND we have all of 1cm of fresh down in town... could there be more up high?

Well after getting Olivia to creche, taking the bins out and putting the washing on (oh the domestic life eh) I was to the meeting point to meet a nice couple from the Lake District... they had skied a lot in Val d'Isere and especially with the Ski Club of GB... they were solid off piste skiers but wanted to improve piste technique so we headed up the Solaise to see whether there was any nice snow to make it really enjoyable. However instead of 'nice' up there is was far from it... it was blowing a hoolie from the south east (which is normally a fairly warm wind but not today) and there was basically nothing extra bar a cm or two (where it had not been blown away)... however it was certainly more 'socked in' at the Fornet end of town so perhaps they are getting a good dump up there and along the Italian border. We tried to stay out the wind and also be able to see what we are doing so heading up and down the Arcelle was the plan. A really successful morning was had all round I think but it was COLD.

It was actually so cold that the battery on my phone died and all through lunch time I was trying to get juice back into it - only for it to die again this afternoon - I think I need to find a more 'buried' pocket on my person to put it in tomorrow. So that is the reason for no Periscope today - apologies!

Anyway the afternoon I was back with the same lady and fellow SH as yesterday (and tomorrow in actual fact) and we decided that trying to get away from the worst of it and heading up Bellevarde might be the best option... well the plan worked a little but it was a BITTERLY cold afternoon and it was one of those days in the season when keeping smiles on everyones face is tough. However a little hot choc break never did anyone any harm!

The wind has gotten up and I dont thing there will be much snow excitement in the morning but we can but hope. On the other hand at the Fornet end of town there could be a jolly good addition to things... we shall see!

A couple of pics to finish off with and then I must get to bed as I am really tired this evening.

Colleagues about to head off for a team ski this afternoon - I think our uniform this year is rather nice looking!

I promise you it was a lot nastier than it looks out there and as I type this I can hear the wind howling around outside - oh joy what tomorrow could bring - we shall see

TTFN
snow report
Howling gale out there this morning. Much windier than the official figures on the Val d'Isere website. Not sure we'll be skiing much today Sad
ski holidays
Kenzie wrote:

Another route to Triffolet is via the 'Hidden Valley'.

Vallee Perdu needs quite a lot more snow!! It would be a long walk at the moment.
latest report
It's fairly rare I think for the Piste Perdue to open before Christmas.
latest report
bar shaker and Peter S

yes and yes it does need a lot of snow and there would not be too much fun to be had down there at the moment. I cant think of a Winter when pre Xmas opening has happened no!
ski holidays
Oh yes that turned out better than forecast

It had blown a hoolie all night long and at breakfast time looking out the window it was a sorry state and my weather station was giving all sort of crazy wind measurements. However temperature wise it was warmer than yesterday.

Clare was off teaching and I caught up with some things at home. I dropped Olivia off at creche and we had been worried that she might not be OK to go to crech today as her stomach had been a little upset last night but all seemed to be OK today... thank goodness!

There was not too much open with the winds which were gusting at over 120kmph up top and coming from the direction they were it creates havoc. Sometimes you can get away with stronger winds if they come from a 'better' angle to the lifts. The only things really open initially were the lower lifts and the funival.

Little by little more and more opened up and when I started the afternoon lesson for the third and final session with the lady I have been teaching it was actually quite pleasant dare I say it!

One of the many new builds in town over the Summer - the Residence Canadienne, now all finished - but buying a place in here will not be cheap!

Is that a glimmer of hope in the sky?

And for those who braved the conditions from the morning it was simply glorious up high this afternoon!

I was a good boy too today and fitted in my periscope as yesterday with the camera dying on me I missed out. woops!

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1BdxYgmyXBYGX?autoplay&t=5

What news of the snow though

Well yes everyone wants to know as this storm was supposed to bring lots of snow... well I think when we do get up to Fornet we will be able to see that there has been some nice snow up there but i think it will be patchy and in some sheltered places it could be about 20cms - big of a stab that but I dont think it will be huge... other places nothing at all and seeing the results up Bellevarde this pm it will hopefully and if nothing else given the pistes a real freshen up - we can but hope!

TTFN
snow conditions
Warmer - much warmer

Well if 2 days ago it was baltic and blowing a gale today was almost the complete opposite - it was still cloudy and the odd snowflake around but it was around or just over zero degrees and no wind around - magic!

Anyway I was down at La Daille in good time this morning to meet my lesson and fitted in my periscope first up:

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1PlJQEgjrNZJE?autoplay&t=1

So within about a second of finishing this broadcast my client came around the corner so the timing worked out perfectly! A nice retired lady but who had not been to Val before and I dont think she was really prepared for either the terrain that we have here or the physicality of it. Anyway she had skied a little before but not for a few years... so we headed up the funival (about the only option you have really meeting there) and proceeded to walk down the stairs next to the Olympique lift.... no sooner had we got down there than she discovered that her bindings had not been set up for her (at all!). This one of the problems of trying to cut corners financially too much... as she had hired from a mobile service who are based in Tignes... one of her party who had organised it all decided that it would be the best way of doing things. But what this meant was that the skis (yes they were nice and new) could not be skied on with adjustments. The problem then is that she does not know how to adjust her skis, I do though, but very often the small print in insurance (travel and ski insurance with the renting company) so we are left with a dilema - do I adjust them or do we cancel the lesson.... so with the understanding that she is basically no longer covered by her own insurance she agreed to let me adjust them for her. It is crazy really as people that work in rental shops often do not have any special training as such!

Anyway I adjusted the length of the bindings and the DIN release settings as both were way too long / easy release and had obviously not been touched at all when the mobile service arrived at their chalet from Tignes last night!

So we finally got going and headed off down the Verte and little by little we got there despite a couple of falls... However by the time we got to the Marmottes lift she was shattered so we took the lift back to the top then downloaded to the Sun Bar so she could grab a coffee and then called it a day! It also meant that she could see where we would be meeting for the lesson on Friday and also where she could jump on the Solaise Express to get up to the magic carpet as I think that would be a better place for her to practice!

So that was my morning.

This afternoon I am catching up with a few things and then have a meeting with the bank manager in about an hours time and that will be followed with the arrival of Clares father and step mother so we are heading out for dinner together. Inbetween all that Clare has a French lesson and I need to collect Olivia from creche and take her to Rize Cafe as Father Xmas is making an appearance later - phew it is going to be busy!

TTFN

High overcast conditions but not much else to it weatherwise.... the previous dump only gave about 20cms along the Italian border - in the rest of the resort / Alps - nothing that I know of!
ski holidays
Hey Steve - it was me that said a quick hello at the bottom of the Marmottes lift yesterday/day before? (addled brain).

Nice day out there today - some interesting piste conditions with the odd deeper patch of wind blown snow on the pistes catching a few people out.

Last day for me tomorrow unfortunately but due to be clear so looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Dave.
snow report
nemesys - ah ha that links up in my mind.... not always aware of who is saying hi to me as it does happen relatively often. Anyway glad you had a nice holiday!
snow report
Warmer

Well it was a slow start this morning as Olivia seemed to take an age to get out of bed - not that I am complaining but it meant that Clare and I were tiptoeing around a little.

Anyway I did the creche drop off and Clare was meeting clients elsewhere other than the meeting point so needed to be out the door slightly earlier than the norm.

I decided (I am glad I did) to go down a layer as I thought it was going to be a warm day out there and went to meet my morning lesson. It was a rather strange am lesson in many ways as it was 2 couples and although all 4 skied at approx the same speed with similar levels of skills there was a marked difference in attitude to the lesson in that in some quarters there was a 'cant do' attitude and definite negativity! So what we call ' climate setting' was tricky and I found myself trying to encourage on one hand but this takes 'time' whereas others just wanted a 'do' approach. So it was not the content that was tricky but more so individuals management!

There is also only so much you can do in 3 hours with 4 different people who really all have differing 'needs' and the 'brush up our bad habits' approach doesnt really cut the mustard and it was almost a lost cause at points. However I stuck with it (im giving myself a pat on the back here) and for the most part held it together and there was some good perforamnces and changes by the end and the level of understanding and technique certainly improved for the most part!

Phew the morning was over!

The afternoon was a completely different story as I just had one lady... she had just retired as a model and for various reasons was aiming to spend a whole season here next year but on this trip (just her second ever) was having a handful of lessons and today, the way the planner worked out, she was with me. Well what a natural... we lapped around and around on the Fontaine Froid and she really took to it so naturally - I was gobsmacked. She also understood what good and bad skiing was pretty quickly and even got to the point when she could watch from the lift and spot people that were using their equipment and those that were not.... I think she made the eureka moment that there are not really that many good skiers on the mountain at all.... plenty that think they are pretty nifty but the level of skill on display is usually nowhere near the apparent level.

Anyway straight after skiing it was home and Clare collected Olivia but I soon found out that she was feeling really under the weather... in fact she ended up going to be about 7pm in the end! So I gave Olivia dinner etc and Clares dad popped around as they had picked the turkey up earlier on. Then I was off to the Tsanteleina to await the arrival of my mum (her flight was delayed a little then the driver had to drive really slowly as she doesnt really like either speed, windy roads of driving at night). So I have just gotten back from having dinner with her.

Tomorrow I am working in the morning and depending on how Clare is she will go for a slide with her father and Olivia... Father Xmas is on the magic carpet runs at the top of the Solaise too so it could be quite festive up there! The afternoon we shall see what happens!

Glorious

About 40cm of fresh snow is to be found if you go looking at the Fornet (where the wind has not whipped it away!)

And finally todays periscope
https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1mrxmNjpDAkKy?autoplay&t=4

TTFN!
latest report
Quote:

High overcast conditions but not much else to it weatherwise.... the previous dump only gave about 20cms along the Italian border - in the rest of the resort / Alps - nothing that I know of!

Just back from 6 days off piste skiing in EK, and plenty of fresh tracks if you have the right guide and are happy to climb Smile
Highlights: skin up to the tunnel for fantastic first day untracked descent. Good skiing to be had at Col Pers, Grand Vallon, Vallonet.
Untracked descent of a variation of Couloir des Ves. 2 laps of couloir Petite Balme on Tuesday, and Wednesday was a full on powder day at Le Fornet, snowing most of the morning, with great runs in the forest and then Signal bowl and working our way up to the glacier as the lifts opened through the morning. We skied to exhaustion until 3pm then mad dash to Geneva to make the 8.45 flight!

It's hard to think of anywhere that regularly has such good conditions pre-Xmas. I book this same week every year and the EK always delivers!
ski holidays
inspark - well I am so glad you had a wonderful trip... I keep telling people that conditions are pretty good all things considered and yes there is fresh out there - you just have walk and know where to go. Mountain guides that especially breathe the off piste and nothing but can usually contruct a group to venture a long way from the pistes but I like to think we are not too bad (as instructors) too. But either way as long as you stay safe and enjoy yourself then who cares!
ski holidays
Have the STVI made a mistake with the design of new Solaise bubble? Was using for the first time yesterday, it wasn't busy but it was chaotic. Trying to get 10 sets of kit into external racks with a moving bubble was apparently a big ask, especially when they put the single slot (on each side) for boards on the bubble side meaning the ski slots are rendered inoperable. Designing for putting skis/boards inside as per the Olympic, Toviere, Boisse bubbles would seem far more sensible. Perhaps the poor loves in the Bogner suits are incapable of holding onto skis for 10 mins.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Let the festivities commence

We didnt set an alarm clock this am but still Olivia had us up very early.... oh well not to worry. A chilled start as Olivia was not heading to creche and in no particular rush and I just had myself to think about. Alas I met the client on schedule at 9.30 and we headed up the Solaise. The weather was really nice and once again it was a little busier than yesterday... day by day at the moment (as it consitstent for this time of the year) things get busier on the slopes!

Anyway we did countless laps on the magic carpets at the top of Solaise as the client felt that this was the terrain that allowed her the most enjoyment but also to feel safe.... pushing it onto steeper terrain was not going to be a good idea yet a while!

It was a very enjoyable and successful morning and it is just a pity that I am now fully booked (and have been for a fair few months now) right through now for about 10 days straight (apart from this Xmas weekend when I am intentionally taking some family time). Anyhows at lunchtime it was time for my daily periscope:

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1BRJjVMyVkwJw?autoplay&t=2

I then headed to the hotel to collect my mum, take her to chevallot to get a nice lunch before heading home.... it was a couple of hours of playtime with Olivia then she headed off to a creche Xmas party (and to collect her Xmas present from them) whilst mum and I caught up.

Clare was busy preparing Xmas dinner, I was busy washing up and doing other domestics.... at this time of the year and with family here and working non stop it would seem there is little relaxation time!

Anyway we managed to pop to the pub for a ski school drink altogether before Clares father came around to babysit for us as we headed to the Tsanteleina for dinner with my mum. I have to say the food is INCREDIBLE there... it is totally apparent that the chef is after a michelin star at some point.... amongst other things there was ice-cream foie gras on the offering - bonkers!

So Clare continues to not be 100% but is battling through - I hope she feels better for tomorrow as she will need all her energy to cook for the next couple of days... I have offered (and so has the mother in law to be ic the cooking but Clare is not only proud of her cooking and wanting to do it but I would not be anywhere near competant enough to even have a stab in the dark at making something edible) but I dont think it can fall on anyone else shoulders!

So that is about all really. Tomorrow Olivia and I are spending the day with her grandma so it should be a special day - we shall see!

The window display in the new 'Lodge' building atop the Solaise

Compared to a year ago what is wrong with this photo - nothing to do with the snow by the way!

Merry Chrimbo everyone!

TTFN
snow conditions
Ski lots - perhaps you could think that way but the lift has been designed to allow plenty of space inside to people to carry their gear inside. Lift manufacturers were finding that twin tip skis etc meant that putting skies on the outside safely and easily was tricky so rather than faff trying to get them outside all the time they would make the cabins more spacious to encourage people to bring skis inside should they wish. By making the loading speed of the cabins quicker (you noticed that the time is short to get the gear in the slots) it forces people to either wait for the next one or carry their gear inside apart from a few people who can get the stuff in the racks quickly. So they will have someone ushering people inside the cabins like they do on the Olympic which will get people on more efficiently so all in all it is actually intentional the design and speed of loading etc. As far as boards - I have loaded my board with the bindings facing both inside and outwards so it didnt affect the skis that could do in the rack?!?!?!!
snow report
Interesting - no indication when we used it that folk should take their kit inside, and nobody was in our bubble or the ones fore and aft. As switch-hitter myself, I was discussing with Mrs SL the possibility of sticking the board in with bindings facing away, but it would seem that is both awkward and counterintuitive. From that brief experience the design made for pushing and shoving and unnecessary unpleasantness. I recall that it took some years of experimenting for the folk staffing the Olympic to get the flow of humanity right, and even now some folk insist on creating a bouchon despite the cajoling of staff and their fellow travellers.
snow conditions
@Ski lots, yes i agree. Convention says you put skis in the rack so it wouldn't occur to me to take kit inside
snow conditions
Interesting.... the Toviere gondola in Tignes for eg isn't fitted with external racks and most cars fill up okay when it's busy without any intervention from the lift operators.
ski holidays
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

Compared to a year ago what is wrong with this photo - nothing to do with the snow by the way!

Do you mean the old cable car to Solaise is no longer there??

Happy Christmas to you and all the family! Very Happy
snow report
Ski lots and holidayloverxx - I agree they need to work on the efficiency of the lifties to get people loading properly and perhaps some signage would be a good idea (do people ever read signs when in holiday mode!!!!!) but yes it will get there hopefully!

intermediate - thanks - you too... and you are correct but also look closely further to the left of the picture and you will see the car sitting on the ground in the shade too! Not sure what will happen to that in due course but we shall see!
snow conditions
Making it a short one tonight

Well folks what a knackering day it has been. Clare was teaching all day so we tried to let O sleep in but she was still awake quite late. Anyway as soon as she (Clare) headed to teach I got Olivia dressed and we went into town to see my mum... we took a lovely window shopping couple of hours and then rode the Train Rouge ALL the way around town, up to Fornet and down to La Daille and back... all to give mum an overview of town from a sitting position!

Then it was time to head to Sur La Montagne for lunch and we were joined by my mother in law and we had a nice lunch and Olivia loved playing the play area there.

We had a couple of hours quiet time at home (well Olivia had fallen asleep on the bus already) and watched some cartoons and 'The Snowman'. Then we took Olivia ice skating and despite falling asleep AGAIN on the way there in her pushchair she had fun ice skating with me. Ice skating was a big deal for my mum when she was little so it was lovely for her to see her grand-daughter on ice skates!

As soon as that was over Clare finished teaching and we headed into town to see the arrival of Father Xmas, Olivia got her face painted and Clare did some shopping with her father.

We all rendezvoused back at home and had a huge xmas eve meal and have just spent a couple of hours setting up the final pieces for xmas tomorrow and I was also building Olivias main present a mini toy wooden kitchen thing!!!!

So it has been a very busy day. Weather and snow wise there is still no change at all to things but perhaps things will change soon!

And that is about that... never found time today to do my Periscope so apologies on that front (and doubt I will find time tomorrow but we shall see).

So all that is left is for me to wish you all a Merry Chrimbo and ill be back tomorrow.

TTFN

Great views of the high street

A lonely snow sculpture on the roundabout!

Olivia studying the window display in Radio TV Val d'Isere of the gondola mini lift toy thing going around and around!

TTFN
snow report
Happy Christmas!
snow report
Merry Christmas from a hot sunny Melbourne Australia 36.3 degrees Celsius !!
Love reading this blog
snow report
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

look closely further to the left of the picture and you will see the car sitting on the ground in the shade too! Not sure what will happen to that in due course but we shall see!

Oh yes, I can see it now! I hope that old Solaise cable car finds a new use. I think it put in about 40 years service. Maybe Jean Claude Killy himself was a regular?
I was fortunate to ride up in it on the last day it operated, 1 May.
ski holidays
Phew its over!

Well firstly one and all 'Merry Xmas'.... what a day it has been.... in fact what a few days it has been!

So the day started early, really early as Olivia had us up feeling a little under the weather at about 3.30 but then went back to sleep thankfully!

By 8am Clare and I were wide awake but Olivia was still asleep which was a real treat!

As soon as she was awake it was chaos and her little face lit up when she saw what Father Christmas had brought her! She opened her stocking and played hapilly for an hour or so but it was clear that she was not feeling 100%. I prepared scrambled eggs for the family and that was a nice start to the day. However I came to empty the dishwasher and found that there was obviously a problem as nothing had been cleaned.... queue a mega cleaning of the filters etc but worse still Clare was frantically in need of things from the dishwasher so she could plough on with Xmas dinner preparations so yours truly ended up washing by hand the whole of the dishwasher.... we then found out that Olivia had a temperature and was not happy at all so we put her down for a rest.

I finally went to mums hotel to collect her then it was back to our flat.... some nibbles and thankfully Olivia woke up feeling a little refreshed! However there was still a LOT of work to be done on Xmas dinner and plenty of 'hosting' to do as Clares father, step mother and half brother all arrived!

Needless to say the last 6 hours has composed of much present opening, eating far too much and Olivia being somewhat under the weather!

However finally the day is at an end and the small fact of 14 days or thereabouts of a full work diary commences! eek!

So no Periscope again today sorry and I must head to bed now as I need to see mum away at about 0430 tomorrow!

So Merry Christmas one and all!

TTFN

Even though I wasnt up there myself I am sure that there were plenty of family scenes such as this up there!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy