Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
@Steve Angus, we are going it Easter week and I was planning on booking a 2hr private lesson with TDC. How much notice am I likely to need to book it in? Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

YAY ITS SNOWING

Well we woke this morning to overcast skies but with glimpses of sunshine against more high clouds. Clare took Olivia to creche whilst I took my snowboarding stuff to the office in preparation for a lunchtime swap over.

So by kick off time I met the boys and girls for a morning of fun and games and the plan was for a session on carving. We headed up Solaise and targeted the various blues on Solaise to get some good drills going. It was a pretty successful morning and a few laugh too. I was surprised how busy it was up there... I think the new Solaise gondola has made that side of the mountain a lot busier than in the past!

Lunchtime was rather crazy muddled in with a sense of bewilderment! After changing into snowboarding stuff, catching up with Clares father whom was meeting Clare in Snowberry in order to head off piste, eating lunch and making a few phone calls to seasonnaires I decided to head to the meeting area to try and fit in my periscope but on the way there I was intercepted. I had received a rather scrambled sms from the office in the morning to say that the afternoon session might want to dabble in some off piste but on the walk to do my periscope I was intercepted by the guy who booked the session (a regular TDC client (I dont know personally) to say that he was getting a pack for me if I needed it (as he knew I had been informed about the off piste part of the session late in the day (so to speak)) and would get off piste gear for the person taking the lesson too.... but after a brief chat (he caught me off guard you see) I ended up going back to our office to collect a TDC pack for myself and then that meant that I could not do the periscope until after skiing.

I finally met Johnathan and I figured the connection out. He had been booked the session by the client as a present as Johnathan was here on hols with the doctors conference that started today and he had been the anesthetist (sp?) for the client last year so this was a present for him as a thank you. So we headed up Solaise to get some technical work going and after a good warmup / test out run we dived down the Arcelle which was in great condition. The snow had not really arrived at this point but it was growing (the clouds) and becoming more and more threatening by the minute and you know that when you lose direct line of sight of Mt Pourri and the Grande Motte that it is only a matter of time before the same thing happens with you.

Anyway half way down the Arcelle the weather meant that it had gone quite flat the light and Johnathan was saying that he felt a little queasy and we continued down to the bottom slowly. We got on the Manchet Express and had only just left the lift station when he was violently sick off the side!!!!! The rest of the way up he had his head in his arms. We rode slowly down towards Ouillette for a break but again he had to stop at the side of the Madelaine to be sick! A water stop at Ouillette was needed and then after 20 mins he felt a bit better and the weather had also picked up slightly so we tried again... the Madelaine mk2 went out so again he headed down the Arcelle and again the same issue raised its head... this time when we got to the turnstyle at the bottom he was violently sick..... so it was time to call it quits and head home. Goodness knows what caused it - perhaps something he ate but perhaps just the light.... I dont think it was alcohol related though!

So I got home at a decent time, got changed, collected Olivia, fitted in my Periscope and have settled down for the evening. The snow has really come on quite intensely the last couple of hours but whether it lasts the night - who knows. The temperature has not been that low so lets hope it settles as snow all the way down into town overnight - we shall see!

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1RDxlYlrMQRKL?autoplay&t=12

TTFN
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NickyJ - thanks for the question. A few points.... Which Easter week are you talking about - different people mean different things byt 'Easter Weeks'? Also we only do a minimum of 3 hours sessions (2 hours is not really worth it; by the time you get up there, warm up, analyse the skier / snowboarder, give some feedback and develop it then 3 hours has flown by so 3 hours is the minimum lesson time). How much notice to give... well most slots for most school holiday periods (especially mornings) book up up to a year in advance and sometimes more. If you want the pick of slots then you need to book a LONG way in advance. However to give you an indication around about that time then the week starting 20th March is OK for availablity, the week starting 27th March just has a couple of sessions left (mainly afternoons), week starting 3rd April no mornings left at all - one afternoon later in the week that is all and finally the week starting Monday 10th April has the odd afternoon and the odd morning. If you let me know when you were thinking off then I can give you more precise details. Kind regards. Steve
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi anyone know the website address that you can retrieve photos taken at Toviere on the webcam (using your skipass number)? Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CosmoJo wrote:
Hi anyone know the website address that you can retrieve photos taken at Toviere on the webcam (using your skipass number)? Very Happy

Queue expletives as I cant for the lift of me remember the blooming website - sorry no.... it'll come to me im sure but cant remember it...... sorry im stumped for once!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was unfortunate enough to have a go down the BMW GS thing. Sadly I managed to retrieve my video....... Oh dear!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
endoman - LOL Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steve Angus wrote:
NickyJ - thanks for the question. A few points.... Which Easter week are you talking about - different people mean different things byt 'Easter Weeks'? Also we only do a minimum of 3 hours sessions (2 hours is not really worth it; by the time you get up there, warm up, analyse the skier / snowboarder, give some feedback and develop it then 3 hours has flown by so 3 hours is the minimum lesson time). How much notice to give... well most slots for most school holiday periods (especially mornings) book up up to a year in advance and sometimes more. If you want the pick of slots then you need to book a LONG way in advance. However to give you an indication around about that time then the week starting 20th March is OK for availablity, the week starting 27th March just has a couple of sessions left (mainly afternoons), week starting 3rd April no mornings left at all - one afternoon later in the week that is all and finally the week starting Monday 10th April has the odd afternoon and the odd morning. If you let me know when you were thinking off then I can give you more precise details. Kind regards. Steve

Thanks for the response - I actually meant going on Easter Sunday. So thinking 17th April or 18th. I also hadn't spotted 3hr min. When I was waking last year or recommendation you guys cane out top but it was pointed out I couldn't just do 2 hrs. Need to check with hubby. Really good to know.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CosmoJo, www.skiline.cc Click on France then Tignes and enter skipass number. You can also access it through the Tignes App for those new fangled phone thingies.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chocksaway wrote:
@CosmoJo, www.skiline.cc Click on France then Tignes and enter skipass number. You can also access it through the Tignes App for those new fangled phone thingies.

Perfect thanks!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Steve Angus, its getting closer to half term for most Brits so no doubt loads of questions will be fired at you in coming days , this time mine is specifically about return runs , we've got a couple of 2-3 week beginners with us and piste M always seems to be absolute carnage with people taking ski's off and walking down , so is Piste L any better as a return run from Solaise side ? also over on Bellevarde side i vaguely remember coming down Santons ( does that go past clochetons restaurant ? ) many years ago and that also seemed to narrow down quite significantly into a gully meaning that is got very mogully and again lots of skiers taking ski's off . Is Santons any better nowadays or would we best to direct them down past la Folie , would that be diebold ? all the way to la daille and then bus it back .
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Steve Angus, quick question if you have time ... we'll be heading on a family ski holiday to Tignes (Le Lac) next week with my daughter (7yrs). I don't know the Tignes ski area ...
My daughter skied a week last year in kids beginner lessons in St Anton and a few lessons on the dry-slope in UK this last year. She'll be taking ski lessons in the mornings, but wondering if you have any recommendations on areas that we could take her ('friendly' blues) on Tignes side (don't seem to be much in way of greens). Or, are we better to come over to the Val d'Isere side - Borsat/Grand Pre (not sure if that would be ok for her to ski over from Le Lac)..
Any advice appreciated!
Thanks, Neil.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@gwatts - I would recommend downloading on either the Olympique or Solaise Gondola depending on which side of the valley you are. I always forget how awful Santons can be - did it again last year and vowed never again! It is horrendous if it's busy, which it will be at the end of the day, especially as it is billed as a blue run and gets covered with folks struggling to get down. There is no shame in downloading, especially at the end of the day when you are tired. It is the safest and most expedient way to get down. Piste L is easier than Santons and is a nice way down but still has a bit of a "gully" which can be icy and full of strugglers. It also requires a long traverse at the end to get back to the village center which usually entails a fair amount of poling unless you can carry a lot of speed into the traverse. Heading down to La Daille is also a good way to come off the mountain but can entail a wait or a "bun-fight" to get the bus back to town. Best to have a glass of Vin Chaud in Rosie's and wait for the crowds to thin out! Hope this helps. I'm sure Steve will chime in as well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ - OK that week is slightly better availability wise. It is always good to know that we come recommended. The best thing to do is check with the other half then drop me a PM and we can go from there.

chocksaway - knew you would know the answer to that one - thanks!

gwatts10 - yes it is getting into 'crazy busy' season once again! Firstly Plan M down the front of Solaise is indeed carnage yes most of the time. Piste L is better yes but does get narrow half way down and the top bit under the Datcha chair is VERY steep for a blue! Yes Santons does indeed go past Clochetons restaurant on the Bellevarde side of things. Yes it is bit of a nightmare of a run too! The route down to La Daille - is Diebold but there is also Verte and other options too. As Vasta says DOWNLOAD - there is no shame and everyone seems to forget that you can download on ALL the main lifts from ALL parts of the resort e.g. to Fornet / down Solaise / Bellevarde or down to La Daille - do it. A typical 2/3 week skier would struggle on any of the options skiing wise down to the valley floor! Its safer / faster and easier way of doing it.... my rule of thumb is that ALL the runs down to the valley floor ski one colour above how they are graded at the best of times and at the worst of times and when the skier / boarder etc is tired then two colours above how they are graded! Piste L is much of a muchness to Santons I would say! At the end of Piste L you could take the free bus back into town! Yes there can be big queues at La Daille to get the bus back into town therefore coming down on the Olympique is a better option... or the Rosee Blanche for a beer whilst you wait!

neil_mc Welcome to SH's... thanks for getting in contact and im pleased to offer some advice. Sounds like you are well set up and have done some good research before the holiday. Assuming the instructor thinks it suitable for her to 'go up the mountain' and she is not on the nursery slopes in Le Lac then you have a couple of things to consider. There arent too many green runs in Tignes no BUT the blue down from the top of Palafour is the usual route we take students as a step up when they leave the nursery slopes... large parts are very nice and there are a couple of tricky pitches but nothing too bad. You could speak to the instructor on that front. As far as coming over to Val etc are concerned to ski the Borsat area is concerned then yes that is more likely to be a good option... however the route you take could be crucial... take the Toviere gondola up from Le Lac, then the first tricky bit from there down to the Edelwiess piste - busy etc but not too steep. The Edelweiss is a blue but nothing major (again all these things are no harder than doing Palafour as previously mentioned I dont think so consider that first). Then when you get to the end jump on the Carpe Diem covered magic carpet and from top of that onto Borsat and then when you get to the top TAKE THE PATH ON THE FAR SIDE DOWN - you'll see what I mean when you get there as that green at the top is VERY steep.... then you are into the nice area.... borsat , genepy, grand pre (piste and lift) are all great but then coming back from there you have to go up the Fontaine Froid and negotiate the top of the Verte LONG before you even get to Tommeuse etc.... for a 7 year old it all might be too tiring so consider it carefully. Good luck and hope that helps!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What a day

We awoke to overcast skies and a smattering of fresh snow overnight BUT the skies were threatening and it was trying to snow from the start!

Clare was not starting until 9.30 so did the Olivia drop off. I met my lesson (a lady I did teach a few seasons back but always spends about 3 weeks a season out here with her husband). Anyway she is a doctor (originally British but now lives in Australia) and has skied (including doing a season donkeys years ago) here a lot. So we decided to do a session working on moguls and headed up Bellevarde and aimed to lap around on Tommeuse. With the weather as it was the, clouds / snow / lack of visibility / fog were all at the wrong altitude so it was constantly changing and one minute you would have a little vis and possibility the sun trying to sneak through and the next you would be thrust into deep fog. However we did our best lapping around working on various aspects of moguls skiing.

All was going well until we were skiing the ridge line near the bottom of Tommeuse when a young girl ahead of me just dabbling off the side of the piste took a nasty fall... I knew straight away that she had twisted her knee. Some questioning and her friend getting a message to the pisteurs via another friend who was so far ahead he was already at the bottom of the Mont Blanc lift and I knew it was at least a ligament issue but the pain was pretty bad therefore it could be more than soft tissue damage - who knows. I made her as comfy as possible and advised her and her friend (she was out for a few days visiting a friend doing a season out here) what would happen next. It was obvious that they had no idea what to do in such an instance as the friend keep saying to me ' thank goodness you are here as I would not know what to do'. Then it turned out that this girl didnt have any insurance - I did say that it was going to cost here a lot to get rescued even before the medical side of things and the fact that she was technically off piste could stuff her up even more costs wise - we shall see. But this made me think that clarifying what should happen in case of accident was something I should remind people about.

1) check for further danger etc
2) call for help if needed (the piste markers down the side of the slopes carry the piste name, resort name you are currently skiing in, and a number (approx number of hundreds of yards to the bottom of the piste). This info will aid the pisteurs find you on the mountain!
3) cross skis to mark out the danger to others / keep you safer
4) keep the patient comfortable and warm and wait

So anyway the pisteurs turned up and took her in a sled off down to La Daille so Holly (or your friends) if you are reading this then I hope all is as well as it can be for you.

So after this happened it took a further run to get rewarmed up and then we got stuck back into the skiing side of things!

Lunch was taken at the Sun Bar with the father in law as I was taking him and his friends out for a lesson this afternoon.... normally I would not teach family but as I know he loves getting input into his skiing I thought that rule could go out the window for the time being! Especially as I was also teaching some of his friends.

So the afternoon was spent looping around on the runs down to La Daille working on piste performance and I definately think there were some good breakthroughs made! Congrats.

So the snow has continued to fall all day and lets hope it continues.... luckily there was not too much in the way of wind. The temps have been a little higher than we would like but I dont think it will be too problematic and at altitude it should be jolly good snow falling all night long!

This evening we have had the boys from upstairs down again to improve their English and for Olivia to play with them and then I have been catching up on some emails.

Until tomorrow when lets hope we have lots of new fresh snow as the fronts look like they are going to keep on sweeping through for the next week or so....

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1gqGvZNAgpnGB

PS The resort is reporting that this 'Winter' we have so far had 1.45m of snow of which much of that came back in November - this shows how little snow we have had this season so far BUT how amazingly well they are moving / shaping and making the snow to get coverage as good as it is - maybe that figure will change radically with this latest snowfall!
snow report
Steve Angus wrote:
neil_mc Welcome to SH's... thanks for getting in contact and im pleased to offer some advice. Sounds like you are well set up and have done some good research before the holiday. Assuming the instructor thinks it suitable for her to 'go up the mountain' and she is not on the nursery slopes in Le Lac then you have a couple of things to consider. There arent too many green runs in Tignes no BUT the blue down from the top of Palafour is the usual route we take students as a step up when they leave the nursery slopes... large parts are very nice and there are a couple of tricky pitches but nothing too bad. You could speak to the instructor on that front. As far as coming over to Val etc are concerned to ski the Borsat area is concerned then yes that is more likely to be a good option... however the route you take could be crucial... take the Toviere gondola up from Le Lac, then the first tricky bit from there down to the Edelwiess piste - busy etc but not too steep. The Edelweiss is a blue but nothing major (again all these things are no harder than doing Palafour as previously mentioned I dont think so consider that first). Then when you get to the end jump on the Carpe Diem covered magic carpet and from top of that onto Borsat and then when you get to the top TAKE THE PATH ON THE FAR SIDE DOWN - you'll see what I mean when you get there as that green at the top is VERY steep.... then you are into the nice area.... borsat , genepy, grand pre (piste and lift) are all great but then coming back from there you have to go up the Fontaine Froid and negotiate the top of the Verte LONG before you even get to Tommeuse etc.... for a 7 year old it all might be too tiring so consider it carefully. Good luck and hope that helps!

Steve Angus thanks for the advice! We'll check in with the instructor after she's had a lesson or two and hopefully we'll be able to try out some of the routes you suggest. Only 3 days to go, can't wait Smile
Also, thanks for the video updates through Periscope - nice to get a glimpse of what things are like in resort before we arrive and to get a few tips. Keep up the good work!!
snow conditions
Bluebird

I shall mainly be letting some photos do the talking today (not all mine I hasten to add)...

But to kick us off firstly (and ignore Andy in the foreground)... Where is this (piste)? Think you might get a clue when I write up in a moment below though!

A beautiful day

What you get on a powder day - people aimlessly following each other into the unknown - no safety gear etc. Only the person at the front (the guide) and the 2 people immediately behind them actually had the gear... so very often the followers put themselves and others in immense danger and show no manners (if nothing else) by jumping right on in there without any respect for other users! So much rush and not enough caution!

My colleague Terry snapped this (well at least one of the seasonnaires in his group did)... this is the walk in to Moniteurs couloir which is the obvious short couloir you can see as you are about half way up the Grand Pre chair to the left. It is most definately a NFZ (No Fall Zone). Once in it is actually not too bad at all and a jolly nice ski!

The same group got some nice freshies in on the East Face of the Charvet

So the morning started with nice blue skies and a lot of anticipation in town. By 9am the queues for both Olympic and Solaise were pretty long but I was pretty happy to not have to deal with the chaos of the powder frenzy and stay on piste. I met the team and we headed up Solaise and worked on the quiet Cugnai piste for most of the morning (before heading down Arcelle later on) and made the most of some nice powder ON this quiet piste. There was some lumps and bumps developing as the morning progressed but for the most part it was a jolly enjoyable morning.

The afternoon was a very different affair to the morning as I headed up Bellevarde and it was the usual hustle and bustle up that side. I met the lesson up there and we did a few laps down to La Daille developing a couple of subtle things in his skiing that needed attention and ironing out some things that needed some attention / resolving. I think it was a jolly successful afternoon all in all.

The Folie certainly seemed to be going crazy this afternoon and it is only at kicking out time that the slopes down to La Daille become the most crazy place in the world so I was glad to be home before that all happened!

It really was a beautiful day in the mountains with wall to wall sunshine and fresh snow - about 30cm's of it up high and in sheltered places so a real boost to the resort.... a true bluebird day!

A couple of weeks ago I posted some info about the new town plans that have been released but Edge Mag have put this comprehensive article together which I thought you might like to read:

http://valdiseretignes.edgemag.net/2017-01-31-new-development-plans-for-val-disere-town-centre/

...and of course with this fresh snow the avalanche risk is going to go up so this is an interesting article to get everyone up to speed! Be careful out there!

http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/off-piste-snow-report-weather-2-february/

And finally my periscope from today!

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1DXGyVdeoqZJM?autoplay&t=1

TTFN

P.S. Some advanced warning - I have to head back to the UK on Friday for a few days so there will be no update on here or on the Periscope videos either I am afraid! Should be back on Monday so reports starting again then OR Tuesday depending on a couple of things. Just hoping this forecast storm does not disrupt my plans too much on Friday!
ski holidays
Posted this in the Tignes thread already not realising there was a separate one for Val so here goes

Has anyone used Top Ski for guiding? I'm going to Val d'Isere on Monday for three days and looks like a small amount of snow is due so thought I might join a guided group
ski holidays
Steve, any idea where on Rocher de Charvet the Brit boarder fell/jumped 40m over a cliff yesterday resulting in a helo trip? Le Dauphiné is a bit vague (hope it wasn't someone following tracks into Moniteurs!)
latest report
I am pleased to report the pistes are in as good condition as I've ever known them in Val, in many years of visits. However, I have noticed an unfortunate side effect of the relatively poor off piste which has resulted in me being getting catapulted into the air & deposited on my face: the pistes are unusually packed with speed demons showing zero care & attention to other skiers. Even before I got hit I'd had several near misses with skiers who clearly fancy themselves as a bit tasty literally flying down pistes & paying no heed to piste users down slope from them. I've never know it to be like this in Espace Killy. Chamonix suffers from these type of issues IME but I've always found Val & Tignes to be a pretty polite & safe place to ski. Not so this week!

Now I'm left with a smashed shoulder & mashed up face after being hit from behind by a teenage lad who was with a crowd of mates while I was skiing from Glacier chair over to Leisseur lift. He skied off fine after smacking me into the piste and rolling over the top of me. I was left bleeding from the face on the piste. So that's over half a week's skiing lost because people have no idea how to be safe. Cheers, kid! I sincerely hope this isn't becoming a thing here. Anyway, moan over. Hope everyone else is enjoying themselves.
snow report
Over in Tignes when I was there a week ago there was some Super G racing / training in the Stade Du Lognan. Some of the racers were absolutely flying down the piste in skinsuits etc on the Grattalu piste presumably warming up. Didn't see any collisions but I thought it was the wrong place to be flying at 50 mph plus when lessons were taking place etc. Otherwise we were lucky and saw no poor behaviour / skiing.
snow report
Hello all, we arrive in Val DI on Saturday - subject to flights/weather/transfers etc we may arrive in time to ski for a couple of hours in the afternoon. Does anyone know if there are any 'free' lifts (from memory, some of the nursery slopes?) or are we better off getting a half day pass.

We have ordered a 6 day pass from the TO but assume it won't start until the Sunday? In some Austrian resorts they start 'working' from 3pm the day before but not sure this is the case in VDI)

Any advice would be much appreciated Very Happy
latest report
Steve, thanks for the lessons again this week. Great to catch up and have my skiing technique knocked back into shape (or at least attempted).

If anyone is in any doubt, it is certainly worth getting in touch with TDC and getting Steve or one of his colleagues help with a few pointers.

Only one more day to go Crying or Very sad

But hey, I'll be back again in March Little Angel
snow conditions
moseyp - Top Ski are a good outfit and have been around for a long time. Alternatives would be us (no surprise there) TDC (The Development Centre) - we run off piste clinic for various levels but if it is pure guiding you're after then Top Ski are good so are Alpine Experience too!
chocksaway - yes i've been looking for info on this. I will post some photos in a moment that might show the aftermath of it. However I thought there was something near the bottom of the Face yesterday too so im a bit confused! When (im sure all resorts do this) the resort can get away with not publicising things they do. The PGHM were down the Arcelle today too so all a bit messy! Remember a couple (3 maybe) of seasons ago someone did fall off the cliffs on the traverse into moniteurs and ended up in a wheelchair! P.S. I pm'ed Tigski the other day re a possible space I have on a Bonneval trip im planning for mid March - he contacted me a couple of years ago to ask me to you / him when I might have a space coming up.... not heard back from him yet but pm me if your interested!
luckyV Glad you give the pistes the thumbs up for quality! YES I know what you mean - I think the attititudes really are changing in skiing - I could give a 30000 word thesis why I think things are going this way (and it is complicated) but it is unfortunate and annoying. Where your collision took place is most definately a collision hot spot - 'motorway boy wannabe racer central'... and the words 'crowd of mates' does not surprise me.... 'pack' skiing which happens all over the place is the most dangerous situation.
endoman - agreed it is not the place thats for sure.
FrenchFriesPizza - yes your pass will start on the Sunday am.... as far as free lifts is concerned.... things have a changed a little this season in Val so you now (only) have (in the centre of town - there are free lifts down at La Daille too) the Village chair and the Savonnettes poma which are all free. 1/2 day passes will cost about €40 a person but for a couple of hours perhaps not worth it - your call!
sno trax - the cheque is in the post - ha ha. Catch you in March perhaps and keep on practicing those things!
snow report
thanks @Steve Angus, I see you have morning sessions like Top Ski but I can't seem to find the price list on the website - is it online? Will check out Alpine Experience too, cheers
snow conditions
Brewing

There was a stiff wind blowing at altitude this morning from the south and west but it was not too prove strong enough to close things down which was a relief but not weak enough to not effect the fresh snow we have had of late / make us a little chilly!

I met my am session and we decided to work on carving and decided for a change of scenary and to get away from the crowds to head up the Solaise side of things and ultimately over towards the Fornet. As usual it was work on posture, then 'tilt' and finally 'influencing' was the order of the morning.

The clouds were brewing all morning but for the most part the visibility stayed OK and the snow held back but you could tell something was brewing and it was strange to see things building from the south and west as that never happens!

I took lunch at Tartine in town (they do GREAT snack Calzone mini pizzas there) and made a few phone calls before fitting in my Periscope video broadcast...

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1YqKDAZOqwzGV?autoplay&t=6"

The afternoon I was back with one of my seasonnaires team and for various reasons only 4 turned up (and one of them left early as she was feeling ill). We braved the elements and essentially I repeated my afternoon lesson along the lines of what I did in the morning but at a lower level! They particularly loved 'trick of the day' which was twirly birds.

I mentioned in my broadcast earlier that I am heading back to the UK again tomorrow as I have a few things I need to sort out back at home with my mother so will not be posting for a few days but (all being well) I should be back here and posting from Tuesday and possibly Monday. Lets hope the weather tomorrow allows leg one of the travel to go according to plan.

On that matter I think with the winds and snow expected over the next few days (and a fair amount of both is forecast) that travel could be distrupted so take extra time to get here!

Finally there was some sort of an instance (im still not sure exactly what happened) yesterday (and there were others today too) up on the Charvet side of the mountain and a British boarder took a large plunge down some cliffs but further details are sketchy. Anyway the Val Pisteurs have posed a couple of photos of the heli evac (nothing too exciting) but always good to see the boys in action!

So for a few days.... TTFN
snow report
moseyp wrote:
thanks @Steve Angus, I see you have morning sessions like Top Ski but I can't seem to find the price list on the website - is it online? Will check out Alpine Experience too, cheers

no probs.... €230 pp for 3 sessions x 3 hours - drop the office (email address on wwebsite) an email and they will tell you what is available next week)
snow conditions
thanks @Steve Angus,
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you Steve. Perhaps we'll just pootle up and down the Village lift to get our ski legs back if we arrive at a decent time Very Happy
snow report
Hi! Any recommendations where best bar to watch the rugby (england/france) in Val d'isere tomorrow, Saturday 4th Feb?
Thanks!
Tony
ski holidays
or the World Championships next week? anywhere on the hill or in resort?
snow conditions
@Tomahawk Tone,

Fresh snow and watching the 6 Nations (and France in France in particular) on the hill ... if Carlsberg made holidays ...
snow report
@Tomahawk Tone, XV bar
latest report
@Steve Angus, most of us avid readers of your blog perceive you to be a more reliable source of information than even the Val tourist office , i've said it before and ill say it again you should be on their pay roll for the services you provide for Val .
So having said all that , can you lobby your colleagues at the Val TI office to install some Live cams in and around Val similar to those they have for Les Arcs rather than the static ones , this forum is an all time consuming habit bit those Live Cams are even worse , you just cant stop watching . The ones in Les Arcs are currently showing heavy heavy heavy snow and it would be great to see that in Val .
Please have a word with the TI Very Happy
ski holidays
@gwatts10, I was going to point you in the direction of www.valdinet.com and their "pan-cams". Unfortunately I just checked and only half of the cameras have updated today.
latest report
@Tomahawk Tone, bit late now, but if you ever want to watch sport in Val go to the Pacific bar, it's full of screens showing the footy etc

XV is probably best for rugby though.

A couple of years ago we watched England v France in the rugby in Coin des Amis in the town centre, the atmosphere was just brilliant because all the locals were in there. England won as well Cool
snow conditions
Rugby update: cheers for the suggestions! Watched it in Bar XV - great fun. 70/30 French and English in the crowd and lots of banter and singing. TBH, I think we were lucky to win the match. Also just discovered the Coins des Amis bar yesterday and we watched the Scotland/Ireland game there first. And all that after some lovely "braille skiing" in the flat light and snow, followed by enjoying the fluffy new snow on the Foret black run thru the trees in Fornet. A great day to finish the week's holiday.
I went to bed early, like a total wuss. Very Happy
snow conditions
Im back

.... but before I get into my daily blog ill reply to the above.

Tomahawk Tone - yes as others have said XV bar is good for the 6 nations but you'll never miss a sport if its broadcast if you head to the Pacific! As far as watching the skiing world championships... moseyp - anywhere that has a TV will have it on - mountain restaurants might be a little tricky but I know they will have it on in Tuffs near the bottom of La Daille as they always show skiing in there!

gwatts10 - well thank you... ill ask the tourist office for a pay rise - anything above £0.00 a season ill take! But webcams - check out the Val d'Isere app as I believe (there used to be and guess there still is) they have links on there to live web cams!

Todays update follows...
snow report
Snow - nothing else to add really.

Well thanks for bearing with me folks... and what a few days I have missed. I headed back to the UK very early Friday morning and it was dumping it down then... interesting being the first down the hill in a while as the road was SLICK and very white but I got to the airport OK. The journey back was fairly effortless but the landing in Bournemouth was hairy as there was a huge crosswind but we made it OK!

A few busy days back in the UK and then I got ahead of myself so was able to head back to Val yesterday instead of today. Whilst I thought the journey going back was eventful it was even more eventful coming back again! Miss placing car keys at security in Bournemouth, having peanut butter (present for Clare) confiscated at the airport in my carry on luggage as it is a 'liquid', almost leaving my phone on the plane, then driving snow all the way back to Val and got to the steepest part of the road and someone had stopped as could not make the bend.... this meant that all the cars behind had to attempt a hill start and virtually all of us could not make it as the road was especially slick there.... so I ended up having to put chains on my (very good) snow tyres to make the last few miles up and whilst being about the only person in the area that seemed to know how to put chains on I got accosted by a Brit wanting some help but then a damsel in distress French girl who had NO idea at all about how to put chains on... so over an hour later and covered in grime and FREEZING cold I finally was able to pull away and made it back up here ready for a warm bath and early night.... phew what a journey back that was!

Anyway whilst I was away I 'missed' lots of snow - a metre in places, some wind, not much visibility but some great powder skiing!

As I was very '11th' hour coming back it was always going to be a long shot whether I would get any lessons today and given the weather no one was really that keen to book me up so I ended up getting today off... but that was just what the doctor ordered as I needed some down time and especially since I have above 15 days straight lessons in a row coming up!

So I did get some photos and fitted in the periscope today...

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1vAGRgayQoVJl?autoplay&t=5

So there is lots of nice snow up there and conditions have rapidly improved since I left and I am looking forward to getting 'back on the horse' tomorrow and back in the swing of lessons...

I did however manage to get lots done at home today which was good news.

There has been lots of local news too over the last few days... so in no particular order:

There was the story of a French lady and her son, programming the sat nav with the wrong hotel and instead of ending up in Alpe d'Huez they have ended up in Val... HOW can you go THAT far wrong - but they did!

People chaining up incorrectly and the story of the motorist who ended up (apparently) walking most of the way back down the hill looking for his lost chain... finally finding it and hiking a KM back up again - that is a serious commitment to a piece of metal!

There has also been the usual 'scam' bookings that has been doing the rounds for a few seasons now... people book a 'chalet' or 'apartment' at a knock down price and... you guessed it... the deal is too good to be true. So the advice is book sensibly!

There has been a strange story and I dont think this is all the details of a British man getting stranded with his kids at the Leisseries lifties hut over the weekend... anyway something along the lines of taking shelter from the wind as the weather and snowstorm was too intense and ending up needing rescuing by the pisteurs in the awful weather as he did not know where he was headed! Something like that!

One of the problems with the new Solaise lift set up is that now there is only 1 lift up and down and when the weather 'c r a p s' out you are stuck... if you are a green run skier you could get down the Bellevarde to La Daille but you need to be a decent skier to do the same thing on the Solaise by coming down Piste L (if it would be open in such high avalanche danger conditions) or down the Plan M red down the front... so basically at the weekend the Solaise gondola did indeed have to shut in such conditions (they normally give quite a lot of warning when the wind speed is getting worryingly high to give people the chance to download) and about 40 people had to be downloaded by skidoo etc!

There was a serious accident on the snowy roads yesterday too... a relatively innocent skid on the snow going down and around a corner meant that the car ended up skiding all the way across the road and hitting someone on the other side of the road putting their chains on ... they were dragged about 50 yards and ended up being taken to hospital with non life threatening injuries but WHAT a scary experience for all concerned that must have been!

And there have also been the usual 'avalanche' incidents too and I dont think anything too serious BUT a Brit was taken whilst skiing the 'Avalanche couloir' - I dont know quite why you would ski that when the risk is high at a 4/5 WHEN it is still chucking it down and the wind high... but anyway nothing more serious than a lost ski and pride and a twisted knee thank goodness!

So I think that brings everyone back up to date... back to the slopes tomorrow!

TTFN
snow report
Thanks @Steve Angus, I'll check it out on Wednesday - men's super G at noon! Didn't see any screens in the places I was in today and don't want to have to come off the mountain for it so Tuffs sounds good
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy