Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
michaelbury17 wrote:
@intermediate, will post a review, it came recommended from another SNHD Toofy Grin

I cannot recommend it highly enough either. Plus you get Ellie, the best hotel manager in the Alps.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are out for the week, next week. We haven't been for 7 weeks and it feels like a season since we were last there.

My daughter is booked on the TDC Confidence Course, we have arranged for a top up of snow later in the week and... it's my birthday on the Wednesday snowHead

Looking forward to a great week.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glad you ordered the snow @bar shaker, can you ensure it's just overnight please Wink

Next week is looking like it's going to be fantastic.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bar shaker, If you've got a direct line to the snow gods, can you order up a dump for the w\c 9th also.

Ta muchly!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pieman666, @RichClark, Noted and requested wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
and if you can keep going for another week then that would be appreciated @bar shaker,
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Time for sunbathing

Well the warm spell continues and the sun was going great guns at breakfast time.... but the day started even earlier as Olivia decided that at 5.30 it was a good idea to get up and come into the lounge and sleep on the sofa before getting bored of that and coming into our room..... grrr need to sort this habit out as I could with some more sleep!

Anyway it was always going to be a nice warm day so I went down another layer and didnt look back!

I met my am lesson (same as a couple days back) and we hatched a plan.... they had gotten slightly out of their comfort zone by going right to the top of the Grand Motte glacier and it was the bumps on the steep run down that had really shook them up. So the plan was mainly to work on moguls so we spent the morning working on my favourite moguls pitch (Tomeuse).... it was a fun morning and if nothing else some good understanding of what they were trying to achieve was developed.

Lunch was taken in the sun at the bottom of the mountain and I treated myself to a Tartine - a yummy croque monsieur (getting really into them the last year or so as they are more than just a ham and cheese toasty I reckon).....

The afternoon I was back (again) with a lady from a couple of days back and again she asked to work on moguls so I spent the afternoon back on Tommeuse. Like the other day she got a little tired so we retired to the Trifollet to have a drink in the sun.

I picked Olivia up from creche and we had the neighbours boys around for an hour too before it was time to get Olivia ready for bed and then dinner.... and that pretty much sums up the day here really.

Tomorrow should be another sunny day like today and as I am off piste in the morning with one skier and one boarder I am going to be getting my thinking cap on now as to what and where I am planning to go!

The weekend traffic forecast is out and they reckon (only) 23000 cars will come up the Tarantaise valley and 27000 going down so slightly quieter than this week and all in all a pretty quiet week but certainly not LOW season that is for sure.

The resort have also updated the skier days figures for the season; cumulatively from the beginning of the season until last week, the number of skier days increased by + 3.6% bringing the figure to 1,067,000 compared to 1,029,000 last year. So we are now over the 1000000 mark for skier days recorded (individuals passing through a turnstyle (and therefore being recorded as having skied / snowboarded on a given day) - so for example I will count as about 100 of those as I have on the mountain for about 100 days this season!

The resort is always doing activities and last night there was a X country race in the centre of town

... and whilst that is happening there is also the upcoming Winter golf competition which is essentially a makeshift golf course / competition the resort runs and it starts in little over a weeks time

The kickers at the bottom of the Face are taking shape too - as us picnickers enjoy the sun at the bottom of the Olympique

.... or why not sit outside one of the many cafes / restaurants around town for lunch in this sun!

and finally todays periscope:

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1eaJbPmgkXdKX?autoplay&t=2

Until tomorrow.... TTFN
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the photo its just reminded me to book Chez Paolo for the night of our arrival which has been become a tradition. I really like the Veal Milanese they serve.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I find it impressive that they can predict vehicle movements. Presumably they have a model that can estimate it based on accommodation bookings, which the Mayor or whoever also has access to ?

Can't imagine that any town in the U.K. Would be able to make similar predictions Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter S wrote:
I find it impressive that they can predict vehicle movements. Presumably they have a model that can estimate it based on accommodation bookings, which the Mayor or whoever also has access to ?

Can't imagine that any town in the U.K. Would be able to make similar predictions Puzzled

They don't know I am coming, or any other owners, but must have a loading that they apply to historic data.

The numbers are about 30% of what we had at Christmas, so pretty pleased to hear that.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Smile Great news, I wonder if they use car park bookings as well as room bookings as an indication compared to past data.

Two more sleeps...

Although one of those will be for about 3 hours as we fly at 6am!

There again if everything aligns I may get an extra half a day in (assuming I can get my rental stuff early enough)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One of those GREAT DAYS... a really great one

Lovely photo taken last night as the groomers do their thing!

Well today was an exceptional day... we woke to another day of blue skies and the temperatures soon rose and it was above zero by 8am! Anyway Clare had the day off (Olivia was a monkey again this morning so the two of them dozzed whilst I got ready) and I headed to the meeting point with some off piste gear and met my clients. The clients today included a seasonnaire who has just quit from her chalet company job and her friend who is property developing a plot of land out here whilst working in London (most of the time).

Anyway we had a warm up (so I could see her ski) from the top of the Borsat and then it was apparent that their standard of skiing was high so we headed down to take in the lower half of the Face du Charvet which was sublime and I have to say I got my timing just right.... we cut back to the piste and out via the bottom half of Santons and then back up the Olympique... from the top of the Grand Pre I took a funky route way out left after a hike up and found some more nice Spring and then close to the Bec d'Aigle roc we came down the big slopes although it was getting a little rotten so we had to be careful. Anyway it was LOVELY OUT THERE.

On the way out I had one of those sights that never fails to amaze me:

On the way out the Charvet... no pack, no safety gear at all, on his own, short skis, no poles and looking like something out of the 70's - how is he still alive!

After another small route down the Marmottons we finished on a high and it was a really nice morning and totally different from the last week or so in terms of where I went and how the lesson panned out - yay!

After a REALLY quick lunch (my am lesson was 3.5 not 3 hours) it was back out with the seasonnaires for their last session... my Friday lot. The first real target was to get them down the Face for the first time - this was their goal for most of them all season long and we timed it just right... snow not too soft or lumpy but not too hard either AND crucially with fresh legs and earlier enough in the afternoon so it wasnt too busy either. It went really well with some of my little sneaky tips to get them down... they were over the moon!

Next we did some little freestyle tricks and a couple of laps through the park... before we new it time was up and that was the end of the 6 week program and I will really miss that lot - they were a lot of fun.

A WONDERFUL day!

The only down side to today was that I saw loads of what I call pack skiing where groups of people ALL ski / board off at the same time without even looking up the slope at what was coming (people where blinkers on the mountains far too much).... anyway when they set off they cause a knot in the flow of people down the mountain and it is a pain in the back bottom. What is worse is that half the people on the mountain seem to leave their brain at home when they come skiing... standing in totally the wrong place blocking the route etc.... THINK SPACIALLY AROUND YOU PEOPLE!

In other news the Student Skiing Championships start this week - joy oh joy more students so they arrive tomorrow - not THAT many of them... but enough! And also their were some pro freestylers in the park today doing their thing with a chopper flying overhead taking photos etc - it looked pretty awesome!

So tomorrow I am taking Olivia skiing and we have a friend staying for the weekend so I had better sign off now as she is due any moment now!

TTFN

PS my periscope from this evening (for a change):

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1gqxvqYqbLAJB?autoplay&t=4
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bar shaker, great to hear & I'm sure we are in for a super 5 days of fun snowHead Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe the guy with no poles and the onesie has the answer? Been doing it that way all his life and is still with us wink

Hoping the forecast snow arrives next week for a top up before our visit. 2 AVA sets arrived today at home, wife successfully discovered the transceiver buried in a wine box.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boy it's been warm today , plenty of very soft snow very early.

@Steve Angus , what's a good linked circuit for staying with the better snow ?

Don't think i have skiied it this soft .

After a warm Christmas in St Anton it's not been our year for good snow weeks.

Sticking to north and high is the plan but need some guidance to plan a decent route.
snow conditions
@harvsurrey where are you based? In val? What sort of piste are you after?

The places that spring to my mind are the two glaciers and the lift called glacier. All relatively short runs, but I guess you're going to get that if you want to stay high.
snow report
Hi , staying down in La Daille but that won't matter to much.

Know the resort well as done maybe 15 trips here in the last few years.

Just never this warm !!

I think i know where i need to go do but i was trying to plan a route staying on decent snow
snow report
Apologies

Evening folks.

Well im sort of starting a fresh again this evening as I obviously have not posted the last couple of days and need another early night tonight. Friday night I had an awful nights sleep and woke up feeling really awful (I wont go into the details) but suffice to say I didnt really leave the bedroom all day Saturday and yesterday was not much better. However by this morning (and despite millions of noisy students being up all night all around us at the moment) I felt about 80% again.... the main problem today was energy having not really eaten much (well next to nothing) the last couple of days.

Anyway back to today.

So it was another glorious day and with minimal refreeze last night (makes it trickier for off piste at this time of the year) and I started the first of 5 days off piste clinic. The group has a mixture of attititudes and experiences and goals for the week which again makes it a little tougher but I like to think today we nailed it and kept educational as well as fun and safe. We did some nice pitches in variations off the Jardins be Borsat before dropping over the back and into the Tour du Charvet... we got in some nice pitches of Spring in my secret spots but by the time we got onto the steeps it had turned somewhat and was too warm so it was cautious for the lower part. I worked the safety (along with the other guided groups) and apart from having to cross a VERY VERY fresh slide on the exit (see photos) it was an awesome morning. As I always say off piste skiing is like Russian Roulette and we kept on putting empty chambers back in the barrel but that is always the way you have to play it!

The afternoon was spent with a couple of fellow SH's and being new to Val and the EK it was a combination of showing them around a little, some technical input and mileage and fun and I think it was a successful afternoon. The only thing I found a little surprising was that the infamy (sp???) of the Folie Douce was not known to them so they were somewhat surprised when we came over the ridge and they saw it... ha ha!

So I need to have another early night then I think I will be firing on all cylinders again tomorrow.

Quickly to respond harvsurrey - there are plenty of options but I think by decent you mean not TOO firm in the am and not TOO soft and slushy later.... well remember that Mont Blanc is pretty much due north of Val / EK.... so work the east then south then west slopes (at this time of the year up until about 2/2.30pm or so then look for north and north only (and high). That is about the only real option of getting great piste conditions for every run!

Some pics to finish and my periscope that I fitted in.

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1dRKZPelmPaJB?autoplay&t=3

Interesting debris to cross leaving the Tour du C.

Look at the scale - the mountain guide cutting the path across!

Great class(s) management on the Fontaine Froide early doors! - NOT

TTFN
ski holidays
Belter of a day in EK today. Home runs were a nightmare this afternoon though, saw the Face was closed due to avalanche risk - could see a couple of slides has taken place either side above it...!
ski holidays
Skied Face on first lift today , crispy up top , soft by midway and very soft at the bottom

And that was 9.15 !!

Stayed up on solaice side then over on the glacier and today's runs were fine (if you ignore the last run back to Fornet .

Thanks @Steve
latest report
In Val for next weekend, seems might have timed it well for some fresh snow! Can you recommend any of offpist guides?
ski holidays
Try Wayne at www.alpineexperience.com Charges about 60 euro a morning. Keen on touring though so will need to hire from their office at Jean Sports for about 23 euro a day (if you do not have). Enjoyed a few days with his colleague Chris couple of weeks ago.
latest report
@hawkesbaynz, erm yes, they strongly recommended, basically insisted, that I hire touring kit from Jean Sports, the same shop they're based in. We then didn't use said touring kit over 2 consecutive mornings, powder was easily accessible. I'm not quite saying it was a cynical racket, suffice to say they were very keen that I hire the kit...
snow report
Dr John. I did three days with them after a big dump. Had a brand new pair of Rossignol Super 7s at 116mm and dead keen to use them so little reluctant to hire. Advised they were not required for our first day. Second morning they walked up a hill on skins at the end of the last morning and we skied back (were exhausted anyway). On the third day it was planned to go over to the valley otherside of le Fornet so were required and we were happy to rent them. Did a good 90 minutes of skinning for extra 10 minutes of powder but worth the experience. Got that tick now but not my thing thank you.

Problem with Espace Killy is that there are so many off-pisters it all get tracked out so quickly. Being able to tour gives the option to reach fresh powder away from the piste served crowd. Suppose it is a string to your bow. However admit not my thing and damned if I am going to buy anymore skis.

Oddly off to Chamonix for a weeks off-piste guiding and no mention of touring, as was my week in Flaine in January off-piste.

TDC and Ultimate do off piste too..... Also Val D'isere bureau de guides
snow report
Fripit - 'guides' - if you mean guiding in its namesake then yes Alpine as people have suggested or Top Ski or the Bureau du Guides based out of the Mountain Pro Shop would be your best bets! When hawkesbaynz mentions the price that is a morning yes in a group.

Yes AE (and others) focus on 'finding the best safe snow.' So that often means that as things do get tracked out quickly that you do have go walkies to fulfill such criteria.

However there ARE pockets of nice snow and (at the moment for example) I am finding 'clean' Spring snow with no walking at all... but miles upon miles and thousands of turns in untouched snow and yes you will need to go walkies!

On the flip side if you want more of a traditional off piste experience with some teaching etc thrown in then yes we (TDC) do have both private and (as I am doing this week) group off piste sessions going out and we too are charging €60 a day for a group off piste experience.

Hope that helps!
latest report
Changes

I was in a real quandary this morning... I was expecting it to be cloudy this morning and perhaps not too have had too much of a freeze overnight which would have allowed me in some ways to make easier decisions but we did have a decent freeze AND the cloud was just a thin veil initially. However I decided after much discussion (BTW I was feeling much better this am again and Olivia allowed us a 'normal' get up time) with colleagues etc to go for a 'normal' Spring hunt but delay it a little to allow the suns effect to work its way. Anyway we headed up Olympique and worked on some technique to help us with our off piste before about 10am taking on the Cairn and it was perfect timing even if I do say so myself and was amazing Spring even on some southerly facing aspects lower down.

Later on in the am we headed intentionally to the Cugnai to find some more tricky snow and indeed we did find some harder snow to ski on. Anyway all in all it took us a fair while to get down as it was tough going and I was rather late back into town... ho hum!

The afternoon I was back with a really nice lady whom I taught earlier in the Winter. A VERY natural athlete and learner and very 'get up and go' attitude. We had a really nice afternoon getting her skiing on some nice snow by taking her up high onto the Val glacier and refreshing what we worked on back in December. It was a very successful afternoon and as she is out here for 3 weeks she will be back for another update / refresher and development in a weeks time or so!

However just as I was late from the morning lesson I seemed to overrun in the afternoon too and bit by bit my afternoon and evening has gotten away from me.

But apart from that not too much else to report.... the warm weather has meant the Face has been closed the last couple of afternoons as the mountain is purging itself in a few places (easterly facing at the moment but will probably swap around to west facing before too long and southerly too). Also there was some sort of an incident whereby the fire crews had to attend at the primary school this afternoon but I have not been able to get any further info but will report back when I have some news!

And I think that is about it for tonight... need to go study the snow report and weather forecast for tomorrow so I can plan my off piste lesson!

TTFN

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1MnGnLZjZXXxO?autoplay&t=1

So the slides that have come down near the top of the first lift on the Face (Bellevarde Express) but there is another slide on the other side of the run too.... you'll note that directly above the lift there are avalanche barriers to help protect the lift station!

TTFN
latest report
The people in peau du vache might be at least a little concerned
snow report
Steve Angus wrote:
Apologies

TTFN

Where's that last picture? Looking out over Tour du Charvet to Mont Roup and Pointe de la Sana??
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
endoman - I was wondering when someone would ask... it was a photo taken by a colleague taken from the top of the Val Glacier looking eastwards towards Italy... so no ski lifts out that way but the route towards Bonneval for the day out heliskiing we offer... if you're keen sometime!

Staying on your toes

We woke to overcast (not badly) skies but more importantly with the clouds that moved in yesterday afternoon it meant that there had not really been much of a freeze overnight and certainly not on the lower slopes... the continued cover now would mean that some aspects would not soften up at all. So all in all it was going to be a case of 'try it and see' up top to get the best snow and conditions. The cloud cover was pretty thin but hovering at a bad altitude it was going to be tricky to find skiable snow AND to be able to see where we were going. Anyway we headed up Solaise and I hoped that there might have been some fresh at altitude and it looked that way.... after a tester on a couple of pitches I went straight up high to the Pays Desert (and lots of other instructors and guides had the same idea) and we found a little (VERY little) nice dust on crust and also underneath it was smooth so all in all it was rather successful I felt.

After some technique we did a practice transceiver search / avalanche burial scenario which was interesting as always and suddenly it was lunchtime! Yay!

The afternoon I was back out with the seasonnaires on their final session of the season.... all 3 groups now completed this evening for another year.

So the group were full of excitement as it was going to be a maximum turn sort of session and trying to cover as much mileage as possible! A short hike from the top of the Madelaine got us to a 'banker' of a pitch and I knew I could find some fresh wintry powder up there and it not disappoint.... a decent number of wonderful turns... next up was a traverse around from the top of the Cugnai chair to the Col de Madelaine and again some nice on the north, skiable soft crust on the westward and then some nice Spring on the southerly before getting rotten lower down... we finished with a trip down S Prime but it was only worth doing at the top half.... the plan would have been to cut out early had one of the seasonnaires not lost a ski half way down and that meant we had to take on the lower half too which was TOTALLY rotten and not recommended ... but hey ho that is the way it goes sometimes!

This evening has been the normal family duties although Clare is feeling rather shattered so I have picked up a few extra duties!

I mentioned in my broadcast yesterday and today re a fire at the school yesterday afternoon - it turns out it was a full scale training exercise! So nothing serious! Also in local news the 'Winter Golf' competition continues apace.... (I have to admit I dont know much about what it is all about but alas it involves playing golf (well short form the game) on snow!!!!)

However the juicy news is that there is lots more snow forecast...

Today's periscope too:

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1DXxyrYavaeKM?autoplay&t=57

Great views eh!

Coming back in from the Col de Madelaine!

TTFN
snow report
Deffo up for the Bonneval trip when conditions allow, no wonder I couldn't work out where it was.
latest report
I assume that Photo is essentially the road up from Bonneval. Have to admit to not having skied Val d'Isere but we do Val Cenis summer and winter and have ridden up there in the summer. Interesting to see what it looks like in the winter and I can see why there are rumours of lifts linking in to Bonneval. Can't think how that may change the Maurienne valley though.
snow conditions
frozennose - no the road is more to the right (by about 90 degrees) from where this photo points towards! This is more in the direction of Ecot! The rumoured lift linkage is a rumour older than I am.... it will never happen as Bonneval (who would benefit) will never be able to afford to build it, maintain it and pay for the associated works e.g. piste cutting and then ongoing staffing costs.... it'll never happen I very much doubt... but it would change the top end of the Maurienne Valley big time if it did though!

endoman - sure well its a route that can be done anytime and it is often really nice in the Spring due to the weather and the fact you can get really good Spring snow down there! Its just a case of planning a date and working around it (and getting a team together as the price of circa €250 per person is based on 4 in the chopper!)
latest report
A stinker of a day on the mountain

After a strange night with Olivia coming in and waking us up more than once we finally woke this morning to grey skis and building clouds and some stroppy winds in the air! There was no freeze overnight unfortunately so all in all it was not going to be the easiest of mornings! It looked much better over towards Tignes so we headed that way looking at skiing the Campanules and Familliale whilst doing some technique etc. It ended up being a mixed morning snow and weather wise but to be honest it was about the best I could get all things considered. I had to finish dead on time though as I needed to head with Clare to Albertville for a routine (nothing serious) medical appointment so a very rushed lunch then we headed off.

We got back to town, having picked up some groceries at exactly the wrong time as the school was kicking out AND the entrance to our underground parking was blocked with someone parked there. All in all it ended up taking about 2 hours to get the shopping in, car away and then the food away whilst Clare dealt with Olivia.... argh it was a rather hectic few hours... so as a result of that it got to about 8pm and dinner was still not made so the periscope today fell by the wayside which I apologise for as I have so very rarely failed in my duties - back on it tomorrow I promise!

The traffic forecast for this weekend is out and they are not expecting it to be too bad at all. Whilst Tignes and Val d'Isere will get the majority of the 20000 or so vehicles coming up the Tarentaise on Saturday other resorts will be quiet so it should not be too bad out there. But to be sure arrive early or late!

This is what all this SnowGolf stuff is all about!

TTFN
snow report
Stinker part 2!

It was another one of those days when you get up having not slept well (blooming students again not Olivia) to see little / no freeze, heavy skies and no fresh snow around..... arghhh I thought not again! However it looked more intimidating than yesterday and I was running out of options for places to go and ski with my off piste group!

However it all worked out well in the end...

Looking eastwards looked more threatening so it was once again up Bellevarde side... after a warm up on Fontaine Froid and avoiding the blusterly winds that were blowing on exposed ridges it was down into the Jardins du Borsat and I went out wide and found some nice soft wind slab in sheltered area so ski (some 10cm of it - anymore and it would a) be too dangerous and b) not very skiable anyway). Next up was a trip into the bowl under moniteurs / pisteurs and again (avoiding old av debris) it was nice... finally we finished with a few secret strips off the Verte and then it was time to get the heck out of there and head home... it was a rather long week and I was looking forward to an afternoon off.

So it was an afternoon getting through loads of jobs and most importantly some time out of ski boots.

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1djGXvOZgByxZ?autoplay&t=5

The weather is due to close in tomorrow from about lunchtime onwards and it could be quite a ride this weekend! Talking of rides this weekend I am heading back to the UK early doors on Sunday for a few days.... I will be back on my blog and Periscope from Thursday onwards. It is the anniversary of my fathers death so am going home to be with my mother and step sister for a few days.

Apart from that I think that is all for this evening... I am teaching all day tomorrow so will make a final post before heading off tomorrow evening. Clare has one of her best friends arriving tomorrow to stay for a week so she is looking forward to that.

TTFN
snow report
@Steve Angus, Hope the trip home goes OK, for you and your family.
snow report
@Steve Angus, hope your trip home goes well and you enjoy some precious time with your mum and family.
snow report
Windy but we got up and running

With the wind being reported at nearly 250km/h at 7am this morning at the top of the mountain it was going to be a tough morning I thought! However we were treated to a lie in by Olivia and it ended up being nearly 7.30 before we got her out of bed! Clares friend Toria arrived dead on 8am and I was busy trying to work out my movements as I was teaching clients who had just arrived into town but were staying down in Brevieries.... anyway we decided that the best course of action was for me to get the car out and drive down there.... since I am heading to the airport tonight I thought I might as well get the car out earlier rather than later.

Anyway it all worked out OK in the end and we jumped on the sache gondola but the cross wind was immense.... in fact it took a fair few stops and starts before we actually got to the top of the lift.... I was not surprised to see that the Aiguille Rouge lift was closed but anyway we took the other chair and when we got to the top, apart from strong cross winds I could see that a LOT was running and in fact the Tommeuse and Toviere were open (obviously the wind was slightly calmer than it had been). Anyway the snow above 2300m or so continues to be really nice wintry snow (where it has been pisted) but below that it is slushy permanently until the freezing level drops! Anyway we had a really good morning and for someone who only has 6 weeks of experience behind her she was jolly good!

A quick change around at lunchtime and I was back out and I chanced heading over to do some runs on the OK Orange as the Marmottes was open and the snow was really really good.... however after 3 laps and with the continued really punchy wind atop the mountain tops I decided to quit whilst we are ahead and get the Tommeuse back Tignes side..... some work on slushy moguls before a final run down the Sache finished the day off nicely before I jumped in the car and headed home.

By the time I got back to Val the wind was strong again but the preciptation was turning to snow and we are in for a LOT of snow overnight! Hence one of the reasons I am heading to the airport now... so next update on Thursday when I am back from the UK. Thanks geoffknight and franga for your kind words.

The town council (as I reported earlier / elsewhere) confirmed the plans for the new Datcha 4 seater chair and the remodelling of the piste there (using parts from the old Solaise Express) for this coming Summer and then next year they are planning to put the 3000 drag back into operation apparently! The finalising plans for the Tete du Solaise hotel are also now being finalised too with an opening date of December 2018 apparently!

Todays Periscope:

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1jMJgYvgRwWKL?autoplay&t=13

Tignes Les Brevs looking good in the early Spring sunshine before the storm really set in!

See you Thursday TTFN
snow conditions
A hotel at the top of Solaise? Bit of a treck back after a night on the lash! If 3000 lift re opens does that mean the tunnel comes into play again?
Safe trip back home.
snow report
@Steve Angus, hope your trip home goes well.
Surprised but pleased at news that 3000 drag lift might make a comeback. That could open the delights of the Tunnel to a new generation! Very Happy
snow report
@Steve Angus Part of the ridiculously long build up to my annual foray to the mountians involves me checking out this site on a pretty regular basis for weeks if not months before I go. I'm heading for Val d'Isère for the first time next weekend so just wanted to say thanks for your regular updates, they contribute hugely to heightening my anticipation level. At age 50+, I should have a bit more control I guess, but bollox to it. Staying in La Fornet. Have a good break yourself.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy