Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
compostcorner - good thinking and yes some of the points Kenzie makes are certainly food for thought but in reality if they put a lift up from the bottom of the manchet where would it go... 1) towards the Rocher Du Charvet - problems as Kenzie says.... 2) if 'around the corner' of it towards the Grand Pre area then that is a LONG and 'complicated' lift to put in (€€€)... 3) towards the top of Olympique (if your gonna put a lift in it needs to finish at the top of somewhere in reality so finishing bottom of Fontaine Froid for example not really worth it!!) then that will deposit EVEN MORE skiers into a VERY BUSY area already! BUT I suspect the main reason for not putting something in is that there is not enough demand for it - there are not that many people who ski down to the bottom of the Manchet (Arcelle / Marmottes) runs even at busy times to warrant the investment... Sometimes the logistics of controlling an area is tricky too.... putting lift pylons on the face of the Charvet (which you would have to do) would be subject to avalanche danger too.

Todays update coming up...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here we go again

It was a very leisurely start to the day... Olivia and Ben did not wake up to until nearly 7.45 - yeah! However as Mum and Dad we were awake in anticipation earlier than that!!!

Anyway it was bright and almost clear skies first thing and not too cold either.... it was a nice trip out to get some fresh pastries for breakfast and then as a family we had a few lazy hours at home before going for a family swim altogether... it was a lovely morning. By lunchtime however the weather was moving in once again and that trend has continued all afternoon and into the evening. In fact there has already been about 15/20cm of snow in town already this afternoon and the snow is falling thick and fast again! The wind however has really gotten up too - boo! The roads in and out of town and around town are getting snarled up with traffic and snow and chains are required for all vehicles now. The road to Fornet is closing later this evening and the road to Bourg has been hit by a couple of little slides onto the roads which they are clearing up now... it is likely to be bad all night long and into tomorrow - just GREAT (mega sarcastic voice there!).

Anyway we had a nice family lunch and watched the ski racing from Austria and what a result for team Germany where they had their first male World Cup winner there in nearly 40 years - bravo! A couple of lazy hours - dozing on the sofa and watching some Disney films before a friend came around with her young daughter for a cuppa.

I popped into town to look for a) a refill for my Snowpulse - no luck so far b) getting my new skis bindings fully screwed down and c) run a few other errands... and boy was it snowy out there.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1eaJbqgdpvVGX

Anyway I made it home and after getting the kids into bed and enjoying a nice curry well here I am once again!

Not the most interesting of updates but stay tuned for more 'action' tomorrow as we see what happens with yet more snow and wind (when will it finish!).... and I get back on the mountain teaching.

Some photos to finish off with tonight:

Thanks to Radio Val for this - Chainage chaos on the road up from Bourg!

This is NOT normally a path but a road under this archway to a private car park - there are around 30 stranded cars in the car park behind here and no signs of being able to get out anytime soon!

There is apartments below the snow line here!!!!

It was looking nice first thing!

TTFN
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NEWS FLASH

A large slide across the road to Bourg means the road is currently blocked under 4m of snow - this could take a while to clear before the road can reopen - no-one was hurt or anything [b]BUT] crucially movement of snow like this will mean that almost certainly the road to and from Bourg will have to close (as will the road to Fornet etc) overnight and we could have some serious issues with flow of traffic (let alone movement of skiers etc) tomorrow morning - arghhhhhhhhhhhhh
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That should be ok with winter tyres surely?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@red 27, Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A good fwd car with snow socks should be enough.....

Seriously though, very pleased nobody was hurt - that looks a bit close for comfort.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey Steve, I’m sure this is a simple question but why is dry snow “great”? (quote from your periscope)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@red 27, or for a Parisian in an X5 with summer tyres Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CallumDA wrote:
Hey Steve, I’m sure this is a simple question but why is dry snow “great”? (quote from your periscope)
It’s much nicer to ski off-piste in dry snow than it is to ski in wet snow. The skis move through the snow much more easily, are much less likely to be unintentionally diverted, sink, grab, etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steve Angus wrote:
I suspect the main reason for not putting something in is that there is not enough demand for it - there are not that many people who ski down to the bottom of the Manchet (Arcelle / Marmottes) runs even at busy times to warrant the investment...

That's a bit chicken and egg though. We're not really talking about a lift to take people out from the bottom of Arcelle, it would be about adding a faster route from the Solaise area to the Olympique area (the lift could possibly feed into Fontaine Froide, similar to Fresse/Bollin). It would also be nice to have a piste going the other way - bottom of Fontaine Froide to bottom of Manchet. To really make sense as a link however you'd want the option of taking blue pistes both ways, but I don't think that would be possible.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
at the moment to get from solaise to belevarde you have go down to the town and then go back up again, its not that big a deal but something like the vanoise express in la plagne/les arcs would be handy to connect the two at a higher level
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CallumDA - yes as rob@rar has said but also it is more volumous so the snow is 'deeper' for a given amount of snowfall... there are downsides though like more likely to be blown about by the wind etc! But generally when you hear people talk about champagne powder and you get the snow flying over the head as a skier passes through it off piste it is light 'dry' powder they are skiing in.

thelem - yes it would be faster but I dont think it would be cost effective for the resort... also as I said that slope on the charvet is avalanche prone therefore placing the pylons would be costly and tricky ... the piste idea would suffer from the same problems towards the Manchet... but certainly if you were going to do it both ways then it would need to be a blue piste at most! But yes it is always a chicken and egg situation these sorts of things.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A bit of a scare this morning at Hotel Kandahar in Val d'Isere apparently. Some friends over for the Doctors Conference are staying in the apartments behind it and came upon the scene as it was ending. There is an absolutely massive mound of snow in front of the apartments and some kids climbed up and were playing when one of them disappeared under the snow! Screaming could be heard for a few minutes then deafening silence. Adults in absolute panic unable to climb up. I don't think anyone thought of calling for help. The kid was pulled out ok, but OMG! what a fright.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No more, please no more!

We awoke to yet more snow and it was falling thick and fast but unfortunately the winds were pretty strong... certainly at altitude!

My morning lesson was running late but bless him as they didnt get in until well after midnight and still had to sort out rental gear before the 9am lesson... however it was a good thing that they were late as nothing was turning until a little after 9am... in fact it was strange as the savonnette lift seems to have derailed which meant that there was no chance that was going to run.... anyway whilst I was waiting for them to arrive I was hearing on the instructor / guide / pisteur grapevine that one of the reasons that the Olympique and the Funival were going to be very late opening was that there was so much snow you could not get in / out the top end of said lifts and piste bashers and snow clearers were going to be take several hours to do necessary clearing and that was exlcluding any avalanche control work that also needed doing.

Anyway we had a jolly good morning despite the queues for the Village lift and bearing in mind Kevin had only skied for a couple of hours on an artificial slope there was amazing progress and by the end coming down the steep side of the Village - awesome!

I spent the afternoon shared between watching the skiing on TV - nice result Dace - just get 2 runs linked together and another podium is within reach! We also had a friend around for a cuppa and it was a generally relaxing afternoon.

At 5pm we headed down (a few colleagues and I) to Les Boisses for our annual SAF heli training (so we can run heli ski trips)... cutting a frustrating story short they never turned up so it was a wasted trip - arghhh!

So that brings you more or less up to date - the weather has been more or less shocking all day - the 125km/h winds have slowly but surely calmed down but the snow has been persistent. The security measures in place mean the road to Bourg is shut this evening... the Fornet has been cut off (the pre-cursor slides that come down to the Fornet outdoor car park usually means a 'biggie' is ready to come down across the road so until either that happens or they can heli blast the Fornet is likely to remain cut off!) and they are pretty sure it could be a 5/5 black flag day again tomorrow. School etc has been cancelled tomorrow etc.

However all in all the problems are much greater - the resort can't keep up with the clearing that needs to be done, car parks are snowbound so they can't clear them and we are running out of parking spaces etc.... the roads are getting narrower, the tipping of snow into the Isere river is getting to the point that snow bridges are starting to form and the temps going up and down with winds all over the place is making the 'picture' of avalanche prediction really hard to work out... the resort are chasing their tale and hopefully we will get a few days of calm to sort things out a little... it seems as if we are having a council meeting for the security of the resort every 5 minutes at the moment and I have lost count of how many 'closed' days / black flag days we had!

Anyway lets see what chaos we have to deal with tomorrow!

In other news..... check out this video - same person who posted the video the other day when they opened their front door - it is getting SILLY there now.... dangerous...

https://www.facebook.com/ben.cashford/videos/10155608945720141/

And whilst we are talking videos I had a staring (thats not the correct word I dont think) role in this weeks TDC snow report:

https://www.facebook.com/tdcski/videos/10156026048248607/

My periscope from today!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1djGXMNXRWLJZ

TTFN
ski holidays
Better than expected

With numerous slides etc coming down across the roads, some high winds at altitude and continuous snow overnight we were not really expecting anything / much to get open at all.... With the school shut (yes even in a place like this it happens when we really are set up for it here) Clare was left with Olivia and Ben and a day of cabin fever ahead... Anyway being a 0930 start it was a leisurely start but I was down to teach a group of complete beginners which was good given the conditions.

Once again it was a black flag day but this season keeps on delivering... we were able to ski (a little).

So as it was a corporate group they came in fits and starts until they were all ready to start skiing and by the time we got over to the Savonnnettes area it was gone 10am. Both my colleague Kieran and I were down to teach the groups so we team taught for an hour whilst getting updates on our phone and on a morning like this you have the general instructor network 'chatting' as well as our school and then on top of that you are checking the official updates on the lift statuses as well as the Radio Val Twitter / website etc to constantly get an idea of what is happening.... anyway around about 11am as predicted the Village got open and we were able to get both our groups up there and lapping around and it turned into a good morning. The snow was falling all morning but it was jolly wet snow!

Lunch was a rushed affair at the area under the Sun Bar and then it was good as more and more was opening up... so I met my guys and we bussed it to La Daille and ended up doing a couple of runs down from the top of the Funi (where it was pretty window and poor vis but GREAT snow) all the way down to La Daille where there was no wind but slushy heavy lumpy snow... quite a variation!

A good positive afternoon was had by all.. and congrats on the pregnancy - you know who you are!

I got in pretty tired but more so cold and wet.... arghh.

Most of the evening has been spent catching up on emails etc...... and tomorrow well it is our community service time of the year again... so with the Europa Cup cancelled it looks like they might have us digging out lifts etc - we shall see what tomorrow brings!

There is still plenty of security measures in place.... the road to Fornet will hopefully finally get opened tomorrow afternoon after they have blasted it from the air (which starts at 0830 tomorrow) and there are plenty of security measures in place within town and on the road to Bourg... they are closing the road to bourg tomorrow afternoon so they can blast it from the air too.

The amount of snow we have had this season is staggering... ALREADY we have had more snow (and it is still not even the end of January) this season than we have often had in the whole of previous seasons... crazy. This is the Tignes graphic but Val is VERY similar to this...

So we have had 69cm in November, 223cm in December and 317cm so far in January (and there is another week or so to go)! So 6.09m of snow this season so far!

Im also looking forward to finally getting up to the Val glacier sometime soon - STILL have not been up there yet this season - will be very interesting to see what it is like up there when we are finally able to get up there - will you be able to see the Cascades restaurant at all?

A few interesting photos to finish with now and of course my periscope link too.

TTFN

Thanks to Hip Hideouts for this wonderful comparison photo...

The black flag flies again

They need taller lamp-posts over in Tignes!!!

Another snowy morning in Val!!!!

I love this photo... so this car was parked up at the START of the season and never moved.... consider this a) the photo is taken looking DOWNWARDS into the hole b) even now the car has been dug out it is still a hole in the ground and you are not going to be able to get the car out c) this photo was taken BEFORE the latest metre or snow fell on top of the car and d) the weight of the snow has buckled the windscreen wipers! AMAZING

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BRJjLPXnapKw

TTFN
ski holidays
The volume of snow is INCREDIBLE !!, we were out for the short 5 day week from 2nd to 9th January, 4 days skiing of which we had two black flag days. The same week last year we had clear blue skies all week !! Back out at half term and the long range forecast, for what it's worth !! looks a lot better - the snow has to stop at some point ! One of our party is booked with Lena for the week, and we are hoping to come out again end of March, please apologise to Claire, we still haven't confirmed Tilly's lessons - job for tomorrow ! Take care and keep up the good work Steve !!
ski holidays
How's your thumb @Steve Angus, ?
snow conditions
Love the picture of the lamp post Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
Seeing news that there was a slide on the last Piste into Brev.
snow conditions
Just seen a picture from Susan @ Snowberry of a rugby pitch somewhere in Val where they are sitting on the crossbar of the goalposts Shocked
snow report
Awesome updates Steve, thanks for keeping us in the picture so to speak, the car parked up is a classic... Toofy Grin Very Happy
snow conditions
scorchio - yes the snow does have to stop you're right... but perhaps not until the Summer!!!! I have passed the message on to Clare.
adithorp - thanks.... its pretty much healed now... just a little bruising now thats all!
tangowaggon - its incredible isnt it... that and the car photo are my favourite so far although have another good one to post in a moment too!
Sowler - ? possibly - not heard anything about it though!
orange - ill post that photo in a moment
michaelbury17 - thank you... agreed re the car photo!
ski holidays
Ah we can see - yay!

It was so pleasant to have the sun shining today but I wasnt teaching today... having to do my annual community service - argh!

After getting Olivia on the school bus I jumped on the bus into town... not in uniform though.... there were queues of people all over the place waiting to get up the hill and enjoy the conditions... Anyway it was a handful of us from TDC as well as a few others so not too many of us... we met the pisteurs and to find out what the heck we were to be doing.

I should explain... in order to get our lift passes for the season we all have to do 2.5 days of free service to the community and there are all sorts of things to chose from.... giving out hot chocolate in town on pedestrian night, the torchlite descents as well as working on the World Cup or in this case the Europe Cup.... thing is the Europa Cup was cancelled last week therefore we were not really sure what we would need to do... it turns out DIGGING - lots of it.... as well as some prep for the FIS races down the Raye piste in La Daille.

Anyway the queues as I said were huge and by the second more and more people arriving to get on the lifts... but in summary and certainly for the first hour of the day or so it was just the Solaise Express, Funi and Etroits chair in La Daille open - in fact not many high lifts opened at all all day - they need digging out still!

First thing was to jump back on the bus I just came up on down to La Daille and get on the funi - when you are with the pisteurs you really just go straight to the front of the queue which caused a little irritation between the lifties, people queuing (naturally) and the pisteurs.... the pisteurs always win.... so when we got to the top we got special radio clearance to duck the ropes to head down Le Face carrying spades - lots of them... it was weird as there was a lot of debris from the blasting all over the place but we got proper fresh tracks right down the front.... it was somewhat strange being on a piste as they were clearing up the blasting from earlier... we got to the Peau de Vache and dug out a storage hut which had 20 VERY VERY VERY heavy duty and heavy in general pipes for injection the pistes... so with two of those over our heads we skied the rest of the Face and boy it was tough work - it was liking skiing giving someone a piggy back!!!! With thousands of people looking up it would not have been the time to stack it!

We got to the bottom and had to bus it back down to La Daille again and the buses were SOOOOOOOOO busy (in fact Clare took Ben to see the doctor and ended up getting the bus the 'wrong way' just in order to get back home again!!!!

The queue was EVEN BIGGER for the funi and Etroits chair - never seen them bigger.... even more frustration coming to the pisteurs / us from the crowd but again the pisteurs told the lifties we were coming through...

We seemed to do a pointless descent down to the bottom before it was lunchtime and that good thing about community service is you get a free lunch and today it was a 3 course lunch at Brasserie Louis and it was jolly nice - steak and chips amongst other things.

Then the real hard work started - back to the top of the funi once again and I tried to do my periscope but I am not 100% sure the sound worked... anyway this is the link anyway!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1OwxWMYYNpqGQ

We then spent the whole afternoon digging out the red 'B' nets down the side of Raye piste - 12 people in total all afternoon... the nets had collected so much snow either side of them from the snowstorms that when the racing happens and a racer crashes the nets need to have slack in them otherwise they won't do their job... this netting is now doing its job... but BOY it was hard work and hot work at that for a few hours... although as we did it we saw lots of slides coming down the mountain sides in the heat of the afternoon sun!

I had a meeting in town after skiing and then home to give the kids a bath before bedtime and then here I am!

The piece of local news is the finally the road to Fornet has reopened after much PIDA heli blasting amongst other things ... the blasting on the road this afternoon out of town turned up negative for the 3rd time this season. Tomorrow more things should get open!

There was news that filtered through yesterday that I forget to tell people about was the drunk brit guy in his 20's who decided to walk out of the Fornet a couple of nights ago and ended up on the wrong side of the river... he ended up needing rescuing by the pisteurs in a piste basher - that is both costly and rather silly eh!

I dont think there is anything else to report this evening apart from to finish with a few photos...

Check out that depth of snow!

Digging.... oh and some more!

That is some queue

Just waiting at the top of the wall this morning from 'our' pisteur that it was safe to descend lower and no more charges going off above our heads!

So another day of community service tomorrow....

TTFN
snow report
Love the rugby pitch photo. Another 50cm due Friday!

I'm out Saturday for 4 days. Can't wait.
ski holidays
bar shaker - yea more coming in - you'll have a great trip!

Digging

Gonna keep it mega short this evening as have my lunch to make for tomorrow... I'm knackered after a whole day of digging for my community service and have a couple other emails to reply too... eeek and its 11.30pm local time already!

Traffic jam at Datcha lift yesterday - see told you it was mega busy with not much open!!

So firstly congrats to Noel Clement and Victor Muffat-Jeandet both from the Val d'Isere Club des Sports for brilliant finishing positions in the Schladming night slalom last night ... Dave Ryding did pretty well too. But Marchel Hirsher was once again on fire. So things are looking good for the Olympics for the locals!!!!

Today was all about digging.... we met the pisteurs at 0830 at the Olympique and off we went... back down on the Raye piste in La Daille working on the safety netting for the most part... however today the highlight was the lunch at Tuffs - awesome club sandwich in there today! It was well after 1700 though before we got off the mountain but that was because we lost some man power when half the pisteurs had to dash off at 1600 when a big slide came down onto the road out of town - more on that in a moment!

The temps have been bouncing around so much and after a good freeze overnight last night it was a unseasonably warm day - about +7 I believe at times! This meant that at about 1600 this afternoon a large slide came down near the bus depot here in La Daille.... we noticed it on the hill as a huge sound bounced around the valley... it ended up spilling onto the main road and the snow 'dust' cloud came right over the road towards to the Rosee Blanche too... made a huge noice. Being south facing this was not totally unexpected! Anyway ironically a snow clearer working in his digger got buried as the slide came down... his windows were up at the time so he had to call a colleague and ultimately another JCB dug him and his JCB out under about a metre of snow - eek. However when it happened the pisteurs radios went crazy and they all had to dash down there and a probe line ended up taking place - so all in all quite a crazy half hour or so. As it turned out Clare was in the bus that was engulfed by the snow dust cloud that was near the roundabout at the time! Alls well that ends well as they say!

So talking about avalanches the danger is now down to 3/5 but with the temps bouncing around and the snow coming in again (Friday perhaps) this could all keep changing!

Late yesterday evening a 25 year old man got 'lost' on the cliffline above the Chemin des Coves... so the band of cliffs you can see as you look towards the Belvarde Mountain after you leave La Daille on the bus! He ended up getting down to the 'couloir to nowhere' and realised there was no way down so had to hike back up - he got half way before having to call the pisteurs (and a chopper ultimately) to rescue him!

Carnage looking for buried people down in La Daille after this afternoon slide!

You can just about see the top of the cab with the bloke buried inside it in the middle of the photo!

Woops the bloke in the 'Couloir to nowhere' last night before needing a heli rescue!

It is difficult to see but the crown wall to this huge slide is near the top of the picture on the left!

You can certainly see the 'snow dust cloud' fanning out towards the Rosee Blanche can't you!

Working on a closed piste all day - you have to be careful as the winch cat pulls itself up and down the slope - dont want to get that cable anywhere near you!!!

Just so much digging to get done!!! Argh!

Lovely up there this morning!

Finally my periscope from today - once again someone commented that there were sound issues but I had a really solid 4G connection therefore hope it was a one off for that person and everyone else can hear it OK!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BRJjLwOAOVKw

TTFN
snow report
Thanks Steve. I had thought you must have gone to bed already. Great pics.
snow conditions
No problems with sound watching it here. Enjoying your updates. Won't be out there until April (got La Thuile and PDS first) but will be watching this thread with interest until then.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good god that’s a half term queue. Just as well they replaced the Datcha. 😄
Thanks for the updates. 7 weeks and counting.
latest report
It was me commenting about the sound - strange as I was on wifi so shouldn't have been an issue my end but maybe it was somehow. Puzzled
snow conditions
Just booked a last minute trip so also heading out on Saturday.
That lift queue at Datcha also surprised me. Is that normal during this time of year? Was hoping next week would be quiet.
snow conditions
axci wrote:
That lift queue at Datcha also surprised me. Is that normal during this time of year? Was hoping next week would be quiet.

Not normal for January, but then nor are the snow conditions. As they open up more of the Espace the queues will (hopefully for you) get back to normal.
ski holidays
axci wrote:
no its not normal, its off peak season, so should be no queues, many pistes are closed due to avalanche risk, as a result people are being crammed into a few pistes. Other lifts will open as they clear the avalanche risk, and it will spread the crowds out across the resort.
snow conditions
Jehu - ha ha - not quite... and am writing a little earlier this evening!
swiftoid - all good!
Timg60 - more than HT queues... yes indeed thank goodness its the new Datcha!
nemesys - hope it was better today!
axci - should be a good trip! NO that is totally 'un' normal... as Kenzie and Sack the Juggler have said it is because there has not been much open but little by little they are getting stuff running and the queues were non existent again today - fear not... remember that photo was 3 days ago now!
ski holidays
Thanks for the reassurance. Can't wait! Very Happy
ski holidays
What a great day

It was great to be back teaching today and it was a really good day on the hill. First up was S and J and they requested a challenge today... that was perfect as that was what I had in mind... after teaching them both for a few lessons a year for the last few years I knew that the time was approaching when things like the Face would start becoming an option for them... anyway after a warm up we headed for the Arcelle and it was in GREAT condition... top to bottom and perfectly groomed. Anyway they handled it well.... so the next challenge was the Plan M and onto Rhone Alpes (so they had a black run 'under their belt') and they once again excelled... even though Rhone Alpes had been appallingly pisted... anyway it was good.... bravo..... was there enough fuel in the tank to tackle the Mattis when I knew the conditions would be deteriorating on that run already with lots of people skiing that way making it a little bumpy and scratchy in places... anyway apart from a single fall they did well but their legs were shot by the ended. Bravo and bring on next year - Le Face next year... I just [/b]LOVE[/b] making peoples aspirations come true so next year it will be the big one!

Lunchtime was a special one as I had it with an old girlfriend of mine whom I haven't seen for years... she is on holiday taking a mid life crisis gap year... so that was a nice lunch.

So onto the afternoon and I was with a fellow SH (I try not to mention names unless they tag themselves or give permission or anything!), her son and a friend and his couple of kids.... Off piste was the order of the afternoon. It was a blend of 'off piste safety awareness training' coupled with fun mileage in the off piste 'goods' and 'going places they probably never would themselves' - so off we went. A tester in crappy snow near the verte (knew it would be awful in there) was followed by some nice snow in the Jardin de Borsat 'north' where we got some lovely strips of snow. To be honest there is a mix of all sorts of snow out there at the moment and you have to work on a micro scale to get the best lines but generally highly altitudes, protected from the winds and out of the sun gives the best snow.... they all skied well in that that I felt confident to take them into the Tour du Charvet.... have not been in there yet this season so it was nice in there and with some younger skiers it was a lovely introduction to them I felt.

Again some awesome snow and on the steeps rotten snow but all good. Pointing out some 'whale mouths' / creepers that looked impressive and passing over some avalanche debris it was an adventure...

I got home earlier and have had a pretty relaxed evening and now am catching up on a few emails before an early bed for once.

Lots of good photos and videos to finish with this evening.

Firstly my periscope from today:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1vAxRMObRpZJl

Secondly the second instalment of the SkiBro video series whereby I am teaching Sean the beginner to ski... just released today (we need to get out there and film the next lesson sometime soon too!)

https://www.facebook.com/SkiBroOfficial/videos/vl.436459966769150/392504167828835/?type=1

Think it looks OK!

A couple of my pics from today:

Nice snow - but one of the few splats of the day caught on camera

A big release on the exit from the charvet (not while we were there)

Some 'whale mouths' look worse than they really are!

Stunning scenery out there

And some pics and videos the Val pisteurs have posted:

Firstly (hope the link works) an amateur video (CAUTION THERE IS STRONG SWEARING ON THE VIDEO) taken from the deck of the rosee blanche by a Brit (on holiday I'm guessing) as the big slide took place down into La Daille yesterday afternoon:

https://www.facebook.com/james.stanworth/videos/10156035339473249/

Thats a positive reaction then!!!

And again!!!

Think that is all for now...

TTFN
snow report
I was looking at the mountain in the La Daille video a couple of weeks ago when it was snowing quite hard (16th Jan). It was in a state of permanent avalanche, with rivers of snow running down it.

Fascinating to watch.
snow conditions
A tricky day

One thing is for sure in this job is that half the 'battle' is managing people, expectations and pretty much everything else apart from the actual job of delivering information to make people better. You come across all sorts of people, situations and so on and so forth on this job. People 'arrive' in front of you in different 'ways'.

So this morning was one of those situations... turns out the two guys (should have been a third but ill talk about that in a second) were here on a stag do and their friend had booked them lessons. One guy had told his friend that he must be a beginner as he had not skied since he was teenager... but a weeks experience then was a weeks experience. So this meant that he wasnt a beginner..... in comparison to his friend who had done a couple of hours in total in a snow dome... so this was going to be an interesting lesson. Without blowing my own trumpet too much I am a pretty experienced instructor to managing the situation and keeping both developing took some skill but trying to juggle the situation was tricky. However I think I pulled it off as they both kept moving working on things and by the end of the session I had the lower level guy coming down the Madelaine which in itself is an awesome achievement for anyone on essentially you 1st day of skiing and the other guy we did a couple of short blues off the Madelaine. It was a case of give one of them an exercise and send them off for a run whilst I worked with the other one... then swap over! It turned out alright in the end!

The afternoon was once again a tricky people management situation with my seasonnaires... seasonnaires are generally quite happy to ski in a certain way with a certain attitude but trying to make them better requires you the instructor to change their approach to what good skiing is and educate them into approaching things in different ways... for example (and just as an example) you can't talk too much when you are teaching them - for no other reason other than they are used to boming around no stop and in doing so keeping warm... but they never seem to be wearing enough clothes so if you talk for too long they are too cold... most other adults because they are lesser mountain fit more often than not are sweating away and too hot when you teach them AND being not used to the altitude are often out of breath so slowing things down is good. So anyway this afternoon it was a man management exercise more than anything... some people want more skiing and less technical input where as others need encouragement as they have had a fall or two... then as you work on that another person seems to getting confused about what they should be doing to get better... its all a constant juggling act.

So as a case study here it goes to show that this job is easy (the teaching and demonstrating bit) but it is the wrapping around the teaching bit that requires practice and dare I say it skill!

So that was my teaching day...

We had a nice family meal this evening and now I am back in front of the laptop catching up with a few things before having a good sleep. Tomorrow is a funny one as I have the morning off but am teaching in the afternoon (the people from this morning have asked to ski with me again in the afternoon - eek!)

Anyway not much else to report from today. Overcast and a hint of a retour blowing in but for the most part just not great light. Perhaps some snow overnight but I'm not convinced it will snow.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1YqKDLkBEXLKV

YES that is grass... the wind has move all the snow that has fallen on this ridge away to other places!

TTFN
latest report
Steve are you able to say why the "up and over lift" is closed? Damaged by the conditions? Any idea when it might open?
Am really enjoying your posts - thanks!
snow report
@carfla7, it was turning this afternoon so they are clearly getting nearer to full fitness!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy