Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Brillinat - hadnt seen that link before - exciting!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As a 'heads up' the discounted season passes are now for sale.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bar shaker, Thanks for the reminder. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Double post.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 6-10-18 14:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quick Q:

Thinking of staying in a chalet in Laisinant area of Val. Never done that before.

How reliable is that lift with opening on time in general? My memory seems to tell me it's delayed quite frequently. Not a huge issue as the bus is so close anyway to take you to the solaise / Olympic, but in theory the local lift is a good option to get up the mountain quite fast on a good day.

Appreciate the low down !

Cheers

Alex
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alex A, I’m not aware of that chair from Laisinant being closed or late opening much.
The run down to Laisinant is closed more often due to avalanche risk.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Laisinant is great acces up to the solaise area. Now the datcha has been upgraded its a good route out of Val. I’ve used it with the bus before to avoid the que at the solaise gondola in the morning
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Timg60, ^^^^^ +1. Not a bad way to get up to Le Fornet either after fresh snow has fallen.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bar shaker wrote:
As a 'heads up' the discounted season passes are now for sale.

do you have a link as i cant find at all
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all !!!

Only trouble now, the Chalet was never available, even though it said it was Sad the search continues !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Excuse my ignorance, but if I use the Lassiant chair, how do I get to the Solaise area?

As can I down load on it, or do I have to get the bus back to the car park from La Fornet/Val D?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Philip1972, from the top of Laisinant Express chairlift, there’s a choice of 2 red graded pistes down to the Datcha fast chairlift.
The Datcha takes you up to the Madeleine/Solaise sector. This is a very good area for relative beginners and early intermediates.

I’m unsure whether downloading on the Laisinant chairlift is allowed. I have a feeling you can but no doubt someone will confirm.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PeakyB, Great, thanks.

i have been going for a few years now, but never started at Lassiant. I have driven past it to La Fornet, but parking is easier at Lassiant.

I was confused as on the piste map it looks uphill to Datcha!

Will give it a whirl on my next trip.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Philip1972 wrote:
@PeakyB, Great, thanks.

i have been going for a few years now, but never started at Lassiant. I have driven past it to La Fornet, but parking is easier at Lassiant.

I was confused as on the piste map it looks uphill to Datcha!

Will give it a whirl on my next trip.

The piste to Datcha is called La Route de Cel, it's the summer road and barely downhill at all (the road side cycling signs show it as between 7 and 10%), so not to be attempted on a board, but fine on skis.

After fresh snow, there can be some great off piste from the top of Lassiant.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I seem to remember there is quite a pit of poling on the Route de Cel - have not used it for a few years
snow report
I seem to remember there is quite a pit of poling on the Route de Cel - have not used it for a few years
snow report
What a month it has been

Thanks for those who have been commenting correctly on the above and also thank you for for those who flagged up the website issue - all has been sorted now (I think - thanks!).

Anyway as the nights draw in and the first snows start appearing at the top of the mountains you know the Winter is very close... in fact it is a little over a month until the lifts open! Wow.

So what has the last month had for me... well to be honest I have been away driving for much of the last month... several tours from the UK to France and Belgium (mainly Northern France as well as Normandy and the WW1 battlefields around Ypres etc). I also had a chinese tour group and took them pretty much the full length and breadth of the UK! So that is pretty much what I have been up to the last month or so.

Back here in Val the kids have been at school / creche and it was also my little boys 1st birthday last month too!!!! Wow where does a whole year go!

Within Val itself there has been manic work on all the building sites and things are getting closer to completion - well in some cases more than others.

The new La Daille gondola is getting close to completion - the first cabins are being assembled and delivered and hour by hour another one is lifted by crane onto the cable - so by my calculations above another 50 hours and they will all be on the cable - ha ha!

Elsewhere as the Radio Val photo above shows the new hotel development next to the old Solaise / Bellevarde base station and current home of the STVI, work is ongoing at a pace. For the most part most things are progressing quite well although projects like the the two year Brussels hotel redevelopment is still just a big hold in the ground therefore who knows how far that will have progressed before the Winter season starts!

Anyway elsewhere the town is now in that 'inter-season' lull at the moment where everything is slowly wrapping up and getting ready for the Winter. It will be a few more weeks before the seasonal staff all start arriving and about a month before it is all steam ahead for opening weekend but for now we enjoy the lull.

As family we are heading back to the UK this Friday for a couple of weeks holiday which will be nice before we really ramp up into the Winter. I will have a fair few things to do both at home and elsewhere before the season starts but also try and get some downtime before it all kicks off.

So there we are a short update this time but really not too much to report.

TTFN
ski holidays
Im back

Well folks. Its that time of the year once again... The nights have drawn in and the snow is starting to arrive. I am back once again for my daily written blog on all that is going on based around Val d'Isere and Tignes... starting now for the entire season.

So as I type it looks like this thread has had 907794 page views so hopefully this will be the year that I finally top 1000000 page views which was one of my original aims when I started all those years back!

Anyway either way I will be talking about whats happening on the ground so to speak! Now with two young kids and of course a wife who is back at work time is even more precious than it has been before therefore I am going to be attempt not to ramble on and keep it relevant etc as much as possible. As you will also know I have been doing a daily live video broadcast using the app Periscope for the last few years.... essentially doing a live video broadcast each day giving updates where people can interact. However this year I am going to switch over to using a platform that is much more tuned to not only the audience that I think is better matched to my targets but will also allow me to be more efficient with my time... so I am going to switch to using Instagram and course I will continue with Twitter too. I will be able to answer questions and interact non the less as people ask questions although they are not likely to be live. So anyway that is a change as I think Periscope is perhaps a little limited. It will take a little while to adjust but hopefully I will get better and better at using Instagram and making the stories etc quite interactive. You can find me on steveangussnow in the same way I can be found with that username on Twitter.

Watch this space on that one.

Anyway back to the here and now and ill jump straight into what is happening here in the resort as we are T-48 or so away from opening weekend this Saturday.

The snow up high is looking really good and as you might have heard the predicted openings for this weekend effectively revolve around the higher areas to the Val glacier, the top of the Solaise and on the Bellevarde side what you might as well think of as just being the green triangle... and nothing as low as the Folie Douce. So about 50% open they reckon and NO link to Tignes, yet! However despite of this the exciting thing to note is that the new La Daille gondola is basically ready to open and the final thing they needed to do today was do the testing in terms of how it would be evacuated if it broke down. So this is part of the testing process that all new lifts have to go through and the pisteurs and lifties have to show they can do this for each and every lift so today was the day when they went testing.

The loading entrance and exit area by the looks of things is still on the 'snow' side but with the road diverted around the back (still not clear from which direction you will approach this new road whether via the Funi side of things (unlikely) but the road towards the Rosee Blanche has not been built yet and shows no sign of being built either. Anyway without the road running past the lift you can ski right up to the door. I am reckoning the lone turnstile on the right will be the entrance for loading groups of kids, the turnstiles on the left will be the normal entrance for the light and just about in shot on the far right hand side will be the exit off the lift if you download.... that is my reckoning! I wait to be proven wrong!

Static line evacuation testing goes on - the final hurdle to clear before the lift gets its license to operate with members of the public!

The road to nowhere ... this is the new road that comes down but now on the 'other' side of where the lift station is. But it doesn't lead anywhere 'yet'...

... see what I mean!

https://www.facebook.com/steve.angus/videos/10161173090730416/

Anyway folks a little rusty with these updates but happy to be back reporting once again! Back tomorrow (hopefully I will remember as after 6 months off it always takes a while to get back in the swing of things!).

TTFN
snow report
@Steve Angus, looking forward to your updates again.

New gondola at La Daille looks a massive improvement on the old cramped one. Wondering if it ends a few metres higher up the mountain.

Hope they never have to evacuate like that at the end of a day, when the Folie Douce has been in full swing for a couple of hours.
snowHead
ski holidays
Good to have you back Steve.
ski holidays
Welcome back Steve!

I'm thinking of doing some BASI modules (L3 teach, maybe have a go at the tech too) in January and there are some courses running in Val d'Isere, and wondering if you have any suggestions for accommodation? Most of my other courses have been in Courchevel where I can get a room in a catered chalet for under £500 a week, so hoping there is something comparable, but not finding anything even close. Happy to consider a hotel, but ideally under 100 euro a night. I'm a single traveller so most self-catering flats don't make sense as I've no one to share with to split the cost. The BASI website has no suggestions. If you hear of anything locally that would suit I'd be interested.

Hope you have a great season.
ski holidays
@kieranm, Have you look at Chalet Chardons in Brev?

Can be very cheap there and I know they do great deals for long stays.
snow conditions
I've got a classic simple but impossible to answer question: Will the links be open for the start of the PSB on 2nd Dec?

What is likely to be stopping them from opening Tommeuses? Not enough snow at the bottom, or not enough snow on Henri? Bollin is looking pretty good, but I understand Tignes won't be opening that this weekend.
snow conditions
Steve you have a new follower on Instagram. Looking forward to your updates!
snow report
@Philip1972, I think getting from Les Brevieres into Val d'Isere each morning before the lifts open would be tricky.
snow conditions
Hi Steve, welcome back.

@PeakyB, the new gondola ends in pretty much the same place as before, at the back of the Folie. Making Marmottes accessible from this lift would have been a major undertaking and I suspect the owners of LFD contributed to the new lift, but would not have done so otherwise.
ski holidays
@bar shaker, thanks, understandable, as the new gondola must have cost big time.
snow conditions
PeakyB wrote:
@bar shaker, thanks, understandable, as the new gondola must have cost big time.

€10,000,000 Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bar shaker, about a week’s takings at the Folie Douce then snowHead
snow report
@PeakyB, Laughing Laughing

Welcome back Steve! Great to see you posting again and can't wait for the daily updates. I will find you on Instagram, which I personally prefer to Twitter anyway. Now that you and our regular Tignes correspondent @chocksaway are back in resort to stay, we can get excited about the new season getting underway.

Surely there can't be a repeat of last year's epic snowfall? Even Santons was nice to ski!!

I soooo hope I can get out there this season, there is so much new stuff.
ski holidays
Peaky B - thanks. Yes its a big improvement of a lift. Yes we all hope that they never have to do an evacuation from a cabin like this but I suppose there is always the risk when all the back up systems and main systems all fail!!!! EEEK
adithorp - thank you too!
kieranm - yes as Philip1972 suggests down in Chalet Chardons in Brev is the best VFM I should think but you will need some wheels though (and to get some parking sorted!).Single rooms in Val are hard (and expensive) to come by. If I can think of anything I will let you know!
thelem - I see no reason why the link won't be open... very early season sometimes it comes down to the finances of opening ALL the links and runs and whether it makes sense financially but by the second and third week usually most things get open and certainly the Tommeuse (over the Borsat route thats for sure) but getting all the way down into La Daille / Le Lac could be more of an issue but linking should be fine!
Bennisboy - thanks.... yes in fact I have had about 20 new followers today since I mentioned yesterday. I actually meant to try Instagramming today but totally forgot... see I told you it took a couple of days to get back in the swing of things!
bar shaker - cheers. AFA as finish place for the new gondola... it now finished just behind the Folie but I think that is a slightly strange place as I would have thought taking it up (even as a 2 stage lift where you can get off half way up) towards the top of the Mont Blanc lift would have been better, BUT and it is a big BUT I have heard that in due course the STVI might wish to make the gondola extend towards the top of the Tommeuse area (one day!). €10million - WOW I had not heard that figure but sounds about right!
Honeybunny - thanks. Yes good to be back and there is much new stuff to see here that is for sure!

Getting back into the mindset

Well at this time of the year it is a cross between finishing off bits and bobs at home and all the preseason jobs but also really getting back into the swing of the season and one of those things is doing this blog and also remembering my broadcasts etc - well I failed miserably on the second one there on Instagram so must try harder tomorrow.

Having said that I had a constructive day with some jobs at home - putting up some pin boards for my daughter in her bedroom a few DIY jobs and then this afternoon into the evening I was up at a Skiworld chalet delivering a mountain safety talk - everything from telling them not to drink too much and take short cuts home through to avalanche avoidance and everything in-between. The actually time it takes to go get set up, delivery and then get home again etc means it was a 3 hour 'event'. Non the less I think they enjoyed it and learnt plenty!

Olivia came home from school feeling a little under the weather meanwhile my little buy was not a creche today (he steps up from 3 days at creche to 5 full days from Monday onwards) which meant that Clare and I were taking it in turns looking after him and playing with him... he is a real little character and at 13 months old he is at 'that' age... he is into everything - clambering on everything etc... tiring work!

The temps have dropped today and it was about -10 at breakfast time today and they have been making snow pretty much all day. It will be a tall order to get enough made lower down to really get pistes open but they are trying. Conversely the snow up high should be excellent for opening weekend - I will have seen way worse that is for sure and for this stage of the season nothing to worry about!

Some of the developments around town this Winter... I am going to attempt to outline some of the building works that are nearing completion... there is the lift here in La Daille which is talked about but in terms of buildings there have been so many. Perhaps the most impressive will have been the new hotel at the Tete du Solaise so I am really looking forward to seeing that that is for sure. A boutique hotel (highest in Europe) with restaurant and all sorts (and a swimming pool) - pretty cool!

Anyway like everything I am going to try and get pics and the rest of it sooner rather than later!

TTFN

PS tomorrow afternoon into the evening I need to head to La Plagne to deliver another safety chat for a tour op so I might be posting very late - we shall see!

PPS todays photo from the top of the Solaise with one of the snow making reservoirs. Thanks Radio Val for this photo!
snow conditions
Great to have you back Steve and looking forward to your updates and getting out for a few trips this season.
We will be nearby in Feb for my 50th as we have taken the Neilson chalet in La Daille (even though @honeybunny has blown me out
ski holidays
kieranm wrote:
@Philip1972, I think getting from Les Brevieres into Val d'Isere each morning before the lifts open would be tricky.

The Bourg St Maurice to Val D'Isere bus service would get you there:-

https://www.altibus.com/documents/gares/9/navettes.pdf
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, Excellent update as always - I know that reservoir, is the level a bit down on normal?
snow conditions
Quote:

kieranm wrote:

The Bourg St Maurice to Val D'Isere bus service would get you there:-

https://www.altibus.com/documents/gares/9/navettes.pdf

@Kenzie, Only on Saturdays
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, Instagram is a winner !
snow conditions
Not the day I was expecting

Well Olivia was up half the night complaining of feeling unwell and on top of the that Ben had a real unsettled night... all in all I not only got very little sleep last night but it also meant that as Clare had a lot of admin jobs to get done out and about around town today and with Olivia off school and Ben not scheduled to be at creche I was on my own with the two of them... it was a pretty crazy day really and I got very little done for the most part.

Thats not strictly true I got a few things done but much less than I had planned!

What I did manage to do was have my first few attempts at Instagram ticked off. On that point I WILL do a weekly (or so) Periscope broadcast and I will also broadcast live on Instagram via Instagram Live sometimes too.... so those that like interacting live will still get the chance. However at the moment I am still experimenting with the 'story' side of the Instagram app as well as looking to post some photos. I will also be still doing stuff on Twitter!

Anyway on all platforms I can still be found via SteveAngusSnow. However my iPhone is doing some strange things and the screen is really unresponsive AND the battery seems quite dodgy so at the rate I am going I will be upgrading my phone sooner rather than later - lets see how things go!

harvsurrey Thanks.... well we are down in La Daille so nearby as you say!
Kenzie Good linkage... but as rambotion good point there!
nelly0168 Thank you.... yes I thought the reservoir looked really low ESPECIALLY for this time of the year but I looked again and thought I was imagining things but you are right it is low - weird!
scorchio - great lets see how it goes. Along with my other social media stuff I am trying to branch out

...anyway getting back on track once again! What have I done today.

Well the main event was heading over to La Plagne as I was asked to do a chat (I have done a fair few this Autumn as I always do at this time of the year!) to Skiworld chalet staff as part of their training. The chat / presentation was all about mountain safety as well as a focus on avalanche safety. So a talk yesterday to the their team in Val was followed by a trip to La Plagne for their lot over there. So it is a quite a trek but it was nice to visit a 'new' resort that I have never been to before! Afterwards I enjoyed the delights of a demo dinner as one of the team was trying out Christmas dinner!

Anyway it has been a long day. Olivia is still not well so I am sleeping on the sofa tonight as she is in with Clare so I had better get some sleep and tomorrow is a the first day of the season... the inauguration of the new La Daille gondola as well as a family ski (hopefully). In the last hour there also seems to have been the second mini little blizzard that has swept through the resort today and given a touch of snow... it happpened for about an hour this morning bringing a few cm's and now again this evening so for opening day we should have a dusting of new snow - yay.

Yay the starting again of the train rouge and other free bus services around town is always a welcome moment!

TTFN
latest report
Steve re your iPhone, have you just installed the latest update? When I did that recently the battery life was terrible for a day or so but then recovered. I have read on the web that this is "normal"
ski holidays
We're off

andy1234 Thanks - the software is up to date according to my phone so that is good! Also the battery seemed to be so much better today so all in all good news

So yes the season has started and we had a little surprise as there was about 10cm of fresh snow that had fallen overnight which really freshened things up nicely - and that was down here in town! The sun was shining and with everyone having good sleeps it was time to get out and enjoy the first day of the season.

I always forget how hard it is for people on the first day of their holiday getting everything in position for the day ahead from suncream to lift passes and everything in-between.. anyway that coupled with 2 small kids and it brought it home!

Anyway we headed out and into town. The top of the Solaise was buzzing with music and of course the ski tests and to be honest even though I didnt ski the terrain there is a good amount open up there. Olivia is on longer 1m skis this year but we had a good few laps of the carpet and Ben loved playing in the snow. It was a great morning. Lunch was at the Sun Bar.

Clare took Olivia off for a ski whilst I headed to La Daille to explore the new lift and it is pretty nifty! Free mobile charging station safe things inside the main building etc. Its pretty cool actually!

We did a family trip up on the new lift of course to check it out and it is rather fancy! Similar to the Solaise gondola that went in a couple of years ago but the big difference really is in the lift stations top and bottom and at the top the lift comes in on the Tommesue side of the Folie building and it is sort of built into the side of the Folie. Some work that needs to be done to finish it is off but it is nearly there. Not sure if they will get the escalator (for example) finished anytime soon or next year - who knows!

I took plenty of photos of the day so they nicely show the day as it happened... Oh and there is a photo of the (nearing completion) Tete du Solaise hotel complex development. Again that needs some more work doing to it.

Ready to go...

A little thin on the ground lower down!

It will be the highest hotel in Europe when it opens!

The excitement was too much for Ben as he drifted off en-route back home!

The lower slopes are not open especially down to La Daille

Also today I did a Periscope broadcast.... as I mentioned in the broadcast I am planning on doing the Periscope broadcasts about once a week this year but for day in day out broadcasts I will be utilising Instagram and their 'story' features and then sometimes I will use the broadcast live feature too!

https://t.co/O8wYTO7hEB

So there we have it for today folks. Think that about covers it... ill be back tomorrow for another updates.

TTFN
ski holidays
New TDC outfits Steve? I liked the purple ones. Razz
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy