Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Chris Brookes wrote:
@mike, looking at the webcam tonight it looks like the window is cracked?

Office hour in the club room - we get a lot of reflections when the internal lights are on.

Snowing hard now, and blowing a hoolie.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fancy going outside and taking a picture for me....lol
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Jungfrau regulars, I'm going to be staying in Grindelwald with my 12 year old a week on Friday and hope to head up and see the races in Wengen. I was wondering whether any of the regulars have any tips on where to watch the downhill from on the Saturday? would you take skis, just train/walk it, buy a Grandstand ticket, stay up top, go to the finish, somewhere else? Any tips more than welcome, although a Wengen regular I can't seem to get my head around what the logistics of the race weekend will be like given the crowds and restrictions. Would hate to go all that way and end up watching it on tv! cheers in advance.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bodeswell, go on skis and watch from Wengernalp. You'll have to buy tickets obviously.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Already posted on Facebook, but here's the snow:

Still snowing now, looking good for tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Clearing the snow off the tracks at Kleine Scheidegg this morning. Quite an impressive piece of kit!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
telford_mike wrote:
@Bodeswell, go on skis and watch from Wengernalp. You'll have to buy tickets obviously.

@Mike, Sounds good, thanks. Does that mean you need a race ticket on top of the ski pass to reach Wengernalp or can you just ski down from Kl Scheidegg? Cheers.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bodeswell, You can ski to Wengernalp with just your pass, but to get anywhere with a view of the course you'll need a ticket or you'll be politely moved on. Another good place to watch is alongside the course just down from the top of the Lauberhorn. We'll be at the bottom of the course at Innerwengen drinking gluwein and munching burgers from the BBQ Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
telford_mike wrote:
@Bodeswell, You can ski to Wengernalp with just your pass, but to get anywhere with a view of the course you'll need a ticket or you'll be politely moved on. Another good place to watch is alongside the course just down from the top of the Lauberhorn. We'll be at the bottom of the course at Innerwengen drinking gluwein and munching burgers from the BBQ Very Happy

In the past there has been a restriction for skipass holders on the Wixi and Lauberhorn lifts, thankfully sense has prevailed and only the Innerwengen lift is now restricted. You can get to most of the course by Ski, except the section from the RussiSprung (where the Red 44 Engi splits from the black and goes under the Wixi chair) to the top of the bumps after the railway bridge. (You can ski along the piste but your way out via the Hundshcopf is blocked so you'll have to carry your skis and walk round or go off-piste).The Start hut end gets quite busy, but further down the Lauberhorn slope it's a bit quieter and you should get a good view - only skiiers get this far. Most visitors are on foot and will walk from the nearest station so the further from the nearest station or lift the better.
The trains will be busier than you have ever seen them - even at half term! so get to Grindlewald station early (before 8?) so that you don't miss the start. If the trains are so busy you can get the Maenlicchen chair up and ski across via the Gummi lift. Life is much easier on the Friday or Sunday or even the training runs on Wednesday and Thursday if you are there earlier - also better for spotting your favourite ski stars, you can normally get autographs etc on the quieter days - if your 12 year old is interested. Friday lunchtime at the top of the Innerwengen lift in between the DH and Slalom is a good option, as it's a bit more relaxed than on Saturday and they have a bit more time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mike
@sherlockis

That's great advice folks, much appreciated. Sounds like getting the skis on is the way to go. The official Lauberhorn website and the Jungfrau site are clear as mud about ticketing but the gist of it seems to be that kids go free whatever, so I'll probably pre-load the cards from here to save faffing around at the station. If I read it right I think the ski-pass has an option to include access to the race for Sat-Sun but not the Grandstands. I would have loved to do Wed-Sun but the school weren't too keen on that idea(!) so we're a bit tied with arriving late Friday. At least we got leave approved for the Monday, for educational purposes obviously. Maenlichen lift and zig-zag round via Gummi sounds good as well, avoiding the trains.

Snow looks great today, amazing what a couple of days can do. Looking forward to it!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bodeswell, with current snow cover you may not be able to go from Mannlichen across so have to train it up
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This time yesterday there was no snow here:

Bitterly cold and very windy up at Scheidegg. Currently minus 5 in the village and falling fast. Bloke with a noisy machine is clearing snow outside our house.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking good, if that carries on as forecast I would be amazed if Gummi isn't open by the 14th, unless due to high winds that is!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bodeswell wrote:
@Mike
@sherlockis

That's great advice folks, much appreciated. Sounds like getting the skis on is the way to go. The official Lauberhorn website and the Jungfrau site are clear as mud about ticketing but the gist of it seems to be that kids go free whatever, so I'll probably pre-load the cards from here to save faffing around at the station. If I read it right I think the ski-pass has an option to include access to the race for Sat-Sun but not the Grandstands. I would have loved to do Wed-Sun but the school weren't too keen on that idea(!) so we're a bit tied with arriving late Friday. At least we got leave approved for the Monday, for educational purposes obviously. Maenlichen lift and zig-zag round via Gummi sounds good as well, avoiding the trains.

Snow looks great today, amazing what a couple of days can do. Looking forward to it!

@Bodeswell - watch out, after reading the Lauberhorn website re ticketing, it really isn't too clear if the standard 'Kids go free on Saturdays' offer is still available for Friday & Sunday if you DON'T buy entrance tickets. rolling eyes Just done a quick test and the Jungfrau ticketing site only discounts the child ticket for the Saturday, so you might want to pop into the station on the Friday and argue (good luck) with the jobs-worth there Sad or pre-load with Saturday and sort Sunday out locally?

One more thing I forgot, Wengen after the races have finished on Saturday is very busy with non-skiers coming up to Party the night away, getting very loud and very drunk, so don't bother hanging around for the prize-giving esp with a 12yo. Also the last train up from Wengen to Grindlewald via KS leaves at 17:55 and is much less busy than the trip via Lauterbrunnen and Zweilutschinen.
Have fun, it really is a great experience!. I would be there again this year but we are out in Wengen for the last week of Jan.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Would love to be there for the races, but at least will be there end Jan/beginning Feb..
🎶Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow🎶
snow conditions
I used to stay in small hotel in Wengen many years ago that was run by a lovely lady called Mrs Butcher (can't remember the name of it). Does anyone know if this place is still open? or another small hotel/ guest house that has family rooms, or linked twin rooms that won't cost the earth?
snow conditions
@christine28, I don't know the name of the hotel you stayed at previously in Wengen. However I can recommend the good value Edelweiss Hotel, which to quote their website "For families we have double rooms with connecting doors, or spacious rooms with three or four beds."
snow report
@sherlockis, cheers, I couldn't make heads or tails of it either so I gave them a call at the station earlier. Apparently preloading cards is no good. The official advice is that you need to buy your weekend ski pass in person with kid in tow who will get a pass to ski free Saturday and Sunday. There is an additional fee of 30chf Saturday and 20chf Sunday for the adult to get close to the race, but children don't need to pay this. She said they are getting quite strict with skiers who don't purchase the additional race ticket and you will be moved along without it, as noted by Telford Mike. Apparently they've also blocked some rat run from Wengerenalp to a good viewing spot of the Hanneggschuss as well.

Even when you know how it's still bloody complicated! Thanks for the tip on getting back, will probably soak up some of the atmosphere in Wengen and head back to Grindelwald for the evening.
snow conditions
Thanks Alistair, but sadly they don't seem to have any rooms on the weekend I want 27 to 29th Jan Sad any other ideas? also is the long sledge run still open (when there's snow) x
ski holidays
@christine28, Another generally cheaper Wengen hotel is the Bernerhof on the main street, with their very closely situated Hotel Residence.
In terms of long sledge/toboggan runs there's one goes from Kleine Scheidegg down to Wengen, and another one which goes from Kleine Scheidegg down to Brandegg (by the way the restaurant at Brandegg is renowned for its apple fritters Very Happy ). From Brandegg you (and the sledges) can then go by train back up to Kleine Scheidegg.
ski holidays
Much improved conditions in Mürren today with 22cm in the village at 65cm at 2360m (taken this morning at Sonnenberg) -

ski holidays
Bonkers cold this morning, minus 13 on our balcony and heaven knows how much lower up top. But the sun is out, and the snow is good. TV towers along the downhill course ready for next weekend.
ski holidays
Is the Swiss transfer ticket still the cheapest way to get from Geneva airport to Interlaken?
ski holidays
Deedee wrote:
Is the Swiss transfer ticket still the cheapest way to get from Geneva airport to Interlaken?

Transfer ticket £110 http://www.swisspasses.com/railpass/transfer/

Train ticket Chf150 http://www.sbb.ch

So yes, transfer ticket is cheaper.
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
Deedee wrote:

Transfer ticket £110 http://www.swisspasses.com/railpass/transfer/

Train ticket Chf150 http://www.sbb.ch

So yes, transfer ticket is cheaper.

Thanks Mike
latest report
Gloomy today but thankfully less cold. Every chairlift in the Mannlichen / Scheidegg sector was open today, so for the first time this season we skied across to Scheidegg from Mannlichen. Tschuggen drag is still closed so you can't do it in the opposite direction. The snow off the top of Gummi is really nice, as it hasn't been skied on until today.

It should be a lot quieter next week as the last of the kids go back to school on Monday.
snow report
View from the Schilthorn today -

ski holidays
From the FIS Alpine twitter account ‏@fisalpine

Due to an important change in the weather forecast, the first men's downhill training in Wengen will be on Tuesday 10th January.
So the snow expected at the end of the week is already affecting the schedules. Could be a rush to prep the course after a heavy dump on Thursday/Friday
snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bluebird day today. Pistes really good - hard, fast and grippy. Bumps lift is now open, and you can ski all the way down to Grund from Männlichen.

Amazing views of the nebelmeer.

The mountain is really quiet - just a few dozen skiers on Männlichen this afternoon.
ski holidays
@sherlockis, snowHead +1
And here's hoping for lots more before the end of the month
latest report
Looks like snow is on its way, potentially (according to one forecast) 2 ft of fresh stuff by this time next week at resort level (that is likely to be more higher up) pretty cold though, with wind chill -20C on Saturday for the downhill
snow report
I hope this is the right thread to ask questions regarding Wengen. I have friends staying in Alpenhof Stechelberg. We are looking at staying nearby in Wengen to be near the lifts. Am I on the right track? I do not know the ski area very well.
snow report
Mike-H wrote:
I hope this is the right thread to ask questions regarding Wengen. I have friends staying in Alpenhof Stechelberg. We are looking at staying nearby in Wengen to be near the lifts. Am I on the right track? I do not know the ski area very well.

Hi Mike, yes you want to stay in Wengen for easy access to the skiing. You can get to Stechelberg by going down to Lauterbrunnen on the train then catching the bus to Stechelberg. The train and bus connect nicely so it's an easy trip.
latest report
Mike-H wrote:

Crumbs, you are only 3 minutes away from stechelberg Schilthorn cable car station taking you up to Mürren via Gimmelwald within 10 minutes. Then 2 minute walk onto the fast schilgtrat chairlift!!
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
Mike-H wrote:

Crumbs, you are only 3 minutes away from stechelberg Schilthorn cable car station taking you up to Mürren via Gimmelwald within 10 minutes. Then 2 minute walk onto the fast schilgtrat chairlift!!

This is true. I should have prefixed my reply with "with current snow conditions" as there's obviously limited skiing in Mürren at the moment. However we don't know when the OP is planning to travel, and hopefully things will improve before long.
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:
Mike-H wrote:

This is true. I should have prefixed my reply with "with current snow conditions" as there's obviously limited skiing in Mürren at the moment. However we don't know when the OP is planning to travel, and hopefully things will improve before long.

Very true Mike,specially when we don't know the actual dates but if it's from this weekend onwards the Schilgrat chair is planned to be open or maybe sooner depending on the amount of snow that falls
ski holidays
Thank you for the replies.

Looking at weds 22 Feb to Sun 26 Feb. Yes I know it's half term. Wife is a teacher and I am fitting this into a busy schedule!

Not sure whether to book Wengen though. If Murren lift is open, I assume my newbie friends will be tempted to ski there as it is nearer to their accommodation. Like I said, I do not really know anything about the area and it's all guess work so far.

Tried a couple of the hotels in Wengen recommended in this thread, but they do not take part week bookings.
ski holidays
We are family of 4. I'm thinking car hire would be cheaper than a transfer. Fly into Geneva. Thoughts?
snow report
Hi Mike, get onto booking.com and try some searches - there is availability in Wengen for sure that week, and probably Mürren too. Caprice in Wengen definitely has rooms.

Edit: also checked Bellevue, Silberhorn and Victoria Lauberhorn. All have availability for your dates. If you hire a car you'll need to park it somewhere, as neither Wengen nor Mürren have roads leading to them. There's a multi-story carpark in Lauterbrunnen that you can pre-book. If you'd rather come by train it will cost £220 return for the family.
ski holidays
Great Pics Telford... can't believe it's been a year since we were there. Would love to return and stay in Wengen next time as the train ride from Lauterbruunen got on our nerves a bit each day. Loved the skiing on both sides of Murren and Wengen tho... Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy