Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Mürren accommodation list-
https://mymuerren.ch

I think imo that Mürren is fantastic for families as it's car-free,snow sure,superb facilities for the children.Staying in Mürren village means you can ski back and the lifts are easily accessible with the nursery slope right in the village. My two aged 6 and 10 love it!

Last years ski holiday -
Mürren Family Ski Holiday 2016 from Chris Brookes
https://vimeo.com/158395585

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 10-01-17 18:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@telford_mike, huge thanks. I like the idea of the train over driving.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mike-H, If your friends are skiing in Mürren (and you don't want to stay in Mürren yourself) another option would be to stay in Lauterbrunnen in the valley between Mürren and Wengen. From there it's straightforward to get to either Mürren or Wengen, so you can spend your day in one or the other as the fancy takes you. From Lauterbrunnen station you've got the choice of either going to Wengen (the train takes 15 mins to reach Wengen, where you can get out and use the Mannlichen cable car from Wengen or stay on the train up to Kleine Scheidegg which is a further 25 mins from Wengen), or if you go to Mürren on the other side of the valley then the BLM cable car and linked BLM train from Lauterbrunnen gets you to Mürren in 23 mins, but most skiers get out at the Winteregg stop before you reach Mürren as that's only 14 mins from Lauterbrunnen and you can get a chairlift straight from Winteregg.You'll need the full Jungfrau region skipass to do both ski areas, but note if you order the skipass online at least 21 days in advance you'll get a 20% discount on the normal price!

Another benefit of staying in Lauterbrunnen is that often the accommodation is a bit cheaper than in either Wengen or Mürren themselves. I've stayed twice in the Hotel Schützen in Lauterbrunnen and they are often flexible as regards part week bookings. There are several other hotels in Lauterbrunnen, you can see reviews on Tripadvisor
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another question...

Wengen is car free. Some of the hotels are nearly 1km away from the train station. Are there transport options in resort to get kids and luggage to the hotel?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also in terms of rail transfer from your airport as telford_mike said you can travel (using the Swiss Transfer Ticket Family card) as 2 adults with 2 children aged 6-15 inclusive for £220 return from any Swiss airport to any Swiss resort. Note that this ticket must be bought in advance before you arrive in Switzerland - it can't be bought once you get there. You can get the ticket from a number of online suppliers, I generally use swisspasses.com
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike-H wrote:
Another question...

Wengen is car free. Some of the hotels are nearly 1km away from the train station. Are there transport options in resort to get kids and luggage to the hotel?

Yep, once you are on the train to Wengen if you call the hotel you are staying at they will send a (usually electric) taxi to meet you and your luggage at Wengen station. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Alastair.

My friends are staying in Stechelberg so I am not sure where they will chose to ski yet. I personally prefer to be near ski lifts etc. but I'm putting this together 'last minute' and I do not think there is any vacancies at the same accommodation.

Hotels on Booking re about £1100-1300 for the 4 days. (gulp)

Thanks for tip regarding lift pass.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mike-H, Well given their location in Stechelberg, and the fact I think you said they were newbies (are they taking lessons?), I would have thought that they will almost certainly be skiing in Mürren (which is an excellent resort by the way, I'm sure Chris Brookes will agree wink ). So I would have thought that if you want to spend some time with them, but also get a chance to ski in Wengen then my suggestion of staying in Lauterbrunnen has much to commend it. Have you tried the Hotel Schützen website link in my previous post? Alternatively the Hotel Oberland is well regarded.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bodeswell. Keep an eye on the Lauberhorn website later this week. Depending on the conditions they may swap over the Slalom and Downhill- decision will be made on Thursday Evening. This is what happened in 2015, DH was on Sunday.
Still there will be lots of fresh snow to play in! snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:
Mike-H wrote:
Another question...

Yep, once you are on the train to Wengen if you call the hotel you are staying at they will send a (usually electric) taxi to meet you and your luggage at Wengen station. Madeye-Smiley

Yeah, those bl#*dy electric vehicles - you take your life in your hands walking through Wengen on change-over days - Silent but Deadly rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I could find you cheaper accommodation than the above but as you don't think Mürren is on the radar.... Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you for your replies.

I have received confirmation that we can stay in Alpenhof Stechelberg. Looks clean and tidy, but not near either resort. My friends have booked ski lessons in Wengen (not Murren). How easy is it to get to Wengen from this accommodation? It looks like a bit of faffing!

The train looks to be around 4 hours with 3 changes. Not exactly peaceful with two young children and luggage. Car hire may be more attractive, at least the kids will relax while I work out where the heck I am heading to.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike-H wrote:
Thank you for your replies.

I have received confirmation that we can stay in Alpenhof Stechelberg. Looks clean and tidy, but not near either resort. My friends have booked ski lessons in Wengen (not Murren). How easy is it to get to Wengen from this accommodation? It looks like a bit of faffing!

Yes that will involve a fair bit of faffing - they'd need to get the skibus from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen station, then get the train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen (which as I said previously takes 15 mins to reach Wengen). If your friends can cancel the Wengen ski lessons and get a refund it would be much easier for them to have lessons in Mürren to be honest.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Alastair. I may dip out of this trip as it is starting to seem like a lot of graft with small kids.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bit of a clear out at the top -

latest report
Lovely conditions today with the new snow.

Weirdly, there were hardly any takers for the sport on offer. Looking up Honegg:

'Queue' at Lauberhorn chair, the most popular lift in the area:

Racers doing their training runs ready for the weekend:

That was certainly the best day of the season so far. It clouded over after lunch and we'll get a little more snow tonight. Forecast for the weekend looks great if you're a holidaymaker, but bleak if you're a racer. Fingers crossed the races can go ahead.
ski holidays
@Sherlockis, @Mike, cheers, can't wait to get out there now! Been keeping an eye out this week, the forecast keeps shifting a bit on timings/intensity but a big dump looks on the cards at some point. If they do move the downhill to Sunday would be perfect for us!

By the way, given the forecast what would you advise on hire/car-driving vs train transfer from Zurich? On the face of it driving would be quicker but what's the road down going to be like if the predicted weather comes through??
snow conditions
@Bodeswell, train every time if the weather's dodgy. £110 per adult return, 1 child free per adult. http://www.swisspasses.com/transfer

Edit: might be a bit late to order those now... you can buy / print normal tickets online at www.rail.ch
latest report
Thanks Mike, will go for the SBB Transfer ticket then, it's CHF146, a touch more expensive but is available online print@home.
ski holidays
Potentially an extra 25cms of snow on both Thursday and Friday nights, this may well mean swapping DH race to Sunday in order to clear course
snow conditions
Murky day, poor visibility but very good pistes. Quite mild in the village +2C, but at Männlichen it was snowing a little and getting increasingly windy when we came down. Swiss Meteo have issued a storm warning for tonight.

The format of the supercombination has been reversed for tomorrow - slalom will now be in the morning and downhill in the afternoon by which time the weather might have improved.

Funny to see blokes in cat suits doing their shopping at the Co-op just now. Off to see the draw for bib numbers in a bit, then there'll be a massive party. The main stage is only about 30 metres from our house so it's going to be a noisy evening!
ski holidays
Have seen a couple of twitter stories this morning about the Palace Hotel in Murren... does anyone have any info ? as I'm your typical Anglophile and can't translate Embarassed

Development news ?
snow report
Do you mean three 3 new apartment blocks planned to be built next to the post office. It was called Myrrhen consisting of 76 apartments and 262 hotel beds. It has been rejected by the canton: the Bau- und Verkehrsdirektion (BVE) after 13 neighbours conplained..and rightful so! .... this has been going on for a while

Or do you mean about the Anfi Palace Hotel that has been closed for a number of years next to the Sports Centre?
snow conditions
Blizzard here at the moment, lifts closing at the top. Little chance of a downhill this afternoon if this continues.
ski holidays
Yes the Anfi Palace. I know there has been ownership issues about the Palace but the twitter feed of Schiltorn/murren (official) has links to a story today - but alas I don't speak german. The 1st Slalom in that blizzard was interesting - purely selfishly I'm glad to see a dump finally. Very Happy short downhill starts at 12:45 I believe (uk).
snow conditions
Supercombination today, and the organisers made a good call on the weather by switching the slalom to this morning and having the downhill this afternoon when the snow eased off a bit. Great atmosphere in the stadium.

Masses of new snow everywhere.
ski holidays
Conditions look good, finally!
snow report
Is the race cancelled?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, 45cm new snow on the course overnight, and still snowing heavily now. Great shame.
snow conditions
Just arrived in Lauterbrunnen a little while ago... was just about to get a train ticket when we heard the race was cancelled. Oh well! Have found a nice cafe instead. Skiing tomorrow, here for two weeks.
latest report
Loads of snow in Mürren now with just 30cm over night and more all today

Mürren: 51cm
Schilthorn: 132cm (taken at 2360m)
snow report
Would you think it's enough yet to open the ski runs incl the toboggan run? from Winteregg down to the valley floor ? Snow tubes at Winteregg this year too ?
latest report
They have opened The Schilgrat area this morning and next will be Winteregg. The run to Lauterbrunnen to Winteregg is not yet open but enough snow now for it to open.
ski holidays
Maireadoconnor wrote:
Just arrived in Lauterbrunnen a little while ago... was just about to get a train ticket when we heard the race was cancelled. Oh well! Have found a nice cafe instead. .

Is that the Airtime cafe? Nice cafe with free wi-fi and yummy cakes. Smile
latest report
Thanks for update CB. Shiltgrat side hopefully means Apollo will be open. Never done that one having last been 3 years ago- can't quite believe time has gone that quickly. Shocked Shake for the men's downhill - assume its scheduled to run tomorrow now. SkiSunday will have to be quick on their editing Very Happy
ski holidays
Slalom tomorrow, British interest - Dave Ryding. There were 2 piste machines on Winteregg last night so it'll open before long. It's still snowing heavily so expect some temporary closures due to avalanche risk.
snow report
@Alastair Pink, indeed it was! And now we are off to inspect the Horner pub.
snow report
Maireadoconnor wrote:
Just arrived in Lauterbrunnen a little while ago... was just about to get a train ticket when we heard the race was cancelled. Oh well! Have found a nice cafe instead. Skiing tomorrow, here for two weeks.

ERM powder day today? You BASI types are weirdos.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, it's a long story... I'm not here alone.

Tomorrow Laughing Twisted Evil Razz
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, that's what I said Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy