Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reds in Montgenevre - OK for a wimp?

Poster: A snowHead
Just looking at the piste map and plotting routes in Montgenevre for half term in February. I fancy crossing the border into Italy for no other reason really than to think that I had crossed a border and maybe get slightly cheaper food in Italy. BUT, I consider myself to be a nervous intermediate: capable but held back by fear. By the look of it I would have to do either of the 2 reds (chamois or soureau). I've done some Reds in the past (through force of necessity and by mistake) and stayed managed it - though it wasn't pretty lol. Would I struggle/be mentally scarred if I attempted these? Should I just get a bus?!!! A realistic response (ie not from a gnarly off-pister Very Happy ) would be great. Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bambionskiis,
Don't remember anything too testing about any of them, though it's been a while.
Generally speaking though the difficulty of any run is highly dependant on snow conditions, I don't think there has been a lot of snow this year in the area, if you are anxious and it still has not snowed I would treat any run with respect and maybe think about lessons and discussing planned runs with an instructor.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Really good point tbar. Thanks for your response.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
you can ski into claviere along the valley floor, instead of over the top, but to get back to monty you gave to make it down a short section of red, but a beginner pal of mine made it a few weeks ago, despite the fairly icy conditions, which will now be better given snow arriving
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bambionskiis, The reds you mention are not the route back from Italy. To get to Italy you can either take a low route that starts at the bottom of the tremplin and is green or the high red route from Roche D'aigle. I would not take the red from Roche D'aigle as there is a short steep section on it. The lower route is very easy but you might need to do a bit of poling.

To get back you need to take the Col de Boeuf chair and ski down a red to the bottom of the Tremplin. That red is ok.

Over in Claviere the reds are wide and cruisy and I would recommend any of the runs served by the gimont and serre granet lifts. You can get off serre granet half way as well.

Back in Montgenevre the soureou is a wide rolling red and I'd recommend it. Les Chamois might be steeper (have a look at it from the soureou before attempting)The reds in the Gondrons are fine. Some of those off the Prarial have short steeper sections. On the chalvet side the runs off the chalvet chair have steeper sections.

I would start off in the Gondrons sector and get your confidence up there. The Vallon is a long gentle run too. It is definitely worth going over to Italy as there are some beautiful tree lined runs and it tends to be less busy there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So glad I posted; some really helpful comments.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I skied my first red in Montgenevre. Querelay over in Les Godrans area. To be honest, it was easier than many blues I have skied elsewhere. My instructor at the time reckoned I could do the red over to Claviere, but I chickened out. If I remember rightly he said the steepest bit was at the top, but the steep could be avoided with some other track. Might be worth asking around in resort for the local knowledge to find out if that's still possible (this was some years ago).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great thanks Rcav. I know what you mean as one of the reds I skied (by accident) was definitely easier than the blues I had been tackling. Will probably visit tourist information and picks some brains there too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@bambionskiis, From memory, there are quite a few reds in Montgenevre that would be great to help you to overcome your fears, because while they have short red pitches, you can see where they flatten out to blue, and are mostly nice and wide. So you are never stood at the top of what feels like an endless steep. If the snow is good, it will be a great place to have a few lessons to overcome your fears. I can't remember what all the runs into Claviere were like, I know one of them got quite gnarly later in the day, but can't remember it's name.

Good luck. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Many thanks thecramps that’s really encouraging. Also the part about endless steeps as that’s what does for me. It’s when I stand at the top and look down that I doubt myself. I am however looking forward to stretching myself this time Very Happy . Cheers
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bambionskiis, And make sure you treat yourself to a hot chocolate in Italy. They do it so much better. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bambionskiis wrote:
It’s when I stand at the top and look down that I doubt myself.

Don’t do this, it’s too easy to psyche yourself out. If you want to stop, do so in the middle of a pitch (vertically, not half-way across the slope...) rather than just before a steep bit. Then keep going, past all the lemmings nervously looking over, just ski round them. Slow down if you need to, but don’t stop. Try and keep the momentum. Good luck Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet wrote:
bambionskiis wrote:
It’s when I stand at the top and look down that I doubt myself.

Don’t do this, it’s too easy to psyche yourself out. If you want to stop, do so in the middle of a pitch (vertically, not half-way across the slope...) rather than just before a steep bit. Then keep going, past all the lemmings nervously looking over, just ski round them. Slow down if you need to, but don’t stop. Try and keep the momentum. Good luck Very Happy

Thanks Scarlett. I started to do that on the last holiday, towards the end, and it really helped so that’s definately something I’m going to focus on this time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thecramps wrote:
@bambionskiis, And make sure you treat yourself to a hot chocolate in Italy. They do it so much better. Madeye-Smiley

Now if ever there’s an incentive for me to man-up that’s it Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm a nervous intermediate and the reds in Montgenevre, especially in the bowl are great for building confidence. The reds in Italy are a bit steeper but steep bits are short and not too daunting. You can always go down the valley floor if you don't want to go via Eagle rock but quite a bit of poking is involved. The mountain restaurants in Italy are much better than in France. If you want a lesson or two to build confidence A Peak are a great ski school
snow report
That’s great DrGeorge. There’s nothing like the threat of poleing to motivate me Very Happy .
snow report
@bambionskiis, We will expect a report, great things are expected of you Madeye-Smiley

@Dr George, confirms what I remembered. You will have a blast.
ski holidays
Will do - no pressure there then Very Happy
snow report
@bambionskiis, Very Happy
snow conditions
The ski over the Top of Eagle Rock into Italy is now also a blue, with a new path round the side of the 'red section'. Montgenevre and Claviere are really good confidence building resorts. The reds are more purple (mix of red and blue) than red. You will love it.
latest report
That sounds really positive volfy; good to know there’s a choice in that section.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy