Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is "Off The Piste" different to Off-Piste and should I have a guide for both?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
f948lan wrote:
Roughly speaking, I suspect the chances of being caught in an avi 'off-the-piste' are comparable to the chances of winning the lottery (cue people posting stats to prove how very wrong I am).

You're right that, at the end of the day, off-piste is a lottery regardless of knowledge, experience, etc.

The thing that makes it different to a straight "lottery" is that you can make choices that have an huge influence over your individual probably of having problems - regardless of what those stats are(!).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stoat of the dead wrote:
meh, Indeed. But do read the rest of the thread... it is quite an interesting debate.

I know sadly I posted in it. Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Edumacation seems to be the answer here. If you don't know buy a book, lots of online resources, cheap 1 day awareness courses are available (+ benefit that you might get to ski some nice pow/terrain on the day).

One reminder I'd offer is do a beep test after lunch - amazing how many times peole (myself included) have turned them off then forgotten to turn them on again.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never turn off a beep when you are wearing it, there is no point. The batteries will easily last a week - normally at least two. Just put it on in the morning and switch it on, and take it off in the evening and switch it off - every day, regardless of where you think you are going to ski.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do think it is strange. We have grades for pistes but nothing for off-piste. This leads to all sorts of confusion over someone's ability. You only have to look at this forum and the number of threads about the vallee blanche to see the confusion over what off-piste means. It would be good for the ski industry and probably save lives as well if there was categorisation that would mean people were better informed over their own ability and could judge terrain accordingly.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
22 dropout, interesting... but...

the thing about off-piste is that a given slope or area will vary hugely from day-to-day according to snow, weather and visibility conditions as well as avvy risk. You don't have the luxury of piste-bashers flattening difficult bits or evening conditions out. And any organisation which graded slopes might have a vicarious liability for perceived inaccuracies in the grading. So basically - if you are not with a guide or someone who knows your abilities and the terrain - and you don't know if you should be there, you shouldn't be there. Off piste is never going to be 100% safe or predictable, and any attempt to make it so is doomed to failure.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are 'grades' for off-piste ski descents. It's just none of them have really caught on outside of specific locales and even guidebooks. Plus most offpiste skiing people do would be at the lowest grade being easy and without much if any objective hazard. For more:

http://cairnpublishing.com/author/ratings/ski_ratings.htm

stoat of the dead, none of that stops people grading climbing routes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meh, does the rock itself really change from day to day as much as snow on an off-piste run according to weather/snow conditions? I can see it might for Ice climbing. I suspect the difference is bigger for OP skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Heh... only just realised this is a new forum section now!

I am obviously not qualified to be in it. Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoat of the dead, alpine routes change just as much and are graded, ski descents often being down easy alpine routes. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Easy Gully in Scotland (Nevis) being a case in point. Graded an easy climb but harder to descend on skis (or anyway, to get into - not hard after the first bit). Does it have a ski grade?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball, nice pic.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball, not in any guidebook. The closest thing I've seen to such a thing for Scotland is Scott Muir's efforts here:

http://www.steepscotland.info
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
meh, interesting site.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've had a look at the Aanoch Mor map again, and I really need to get back up there for a weekend Smile

time to get my finger out and get the camper van finished Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy