Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A £65m snow dome for Swindon.

Poster: A snowHead
So thats one near Bristol and another along the M4 hmmm... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-16942252

Quote:
Martin Barber, chairman of Moirai, said Swindon was "the perfect site" for a new snow dome.

"We've built three of these before one in Milton Keynes, one in Castleford and another one in Braehead," he said.

"And I've been looking for years for one that can draw from the west side of London and the south and also from Bristol and this is the perfect site."

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 26-03-12 9:24; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Perfect for who... for people around Swindon maybe, anywhere south of Newbury would be better!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it were anyone but Morai then it would be good news.

They do not give a T@ss about skiing or the snowdome, their priority will be to get a Cinema group interested and then to rent the retail space, They probably wont even bother with a buisness plan for the snowsports
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
WTF...

When do we get one sarf of London?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stoat of the dead wrote:
WTF...

When do we get one sarf of London?

Here here its 34 miles further than HH
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
South of London, Kent/Surrey border perhaps, is just crying out for a snowdome....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Best I hurry up and get some coaching badges Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now if Guildford boxed up their existing slope a-la Hemel...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

+1. I live in hope.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
...and extend it by another hundred metres or so...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great news! Can't wait. START BUILDING IT NOW!!!! snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kevindonkleywood wrote:
They do not give a T@ss about skiing or the snowdome, their priority will be to get a Cinema group interested and then to rent the retail space.

What, you mean like Chill Factore (no cinema) and Hemel (no cinema)??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wish they'd build one in Crawley or somwhere within reach of Surrey/Sussex.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RobW wrote:
kevindonkleywood wrote:
They do not give a T@ss about skiing or the snowdome, their priority will be to get a Cinema group interested and then to rent the retail space.

What, you mean like Chill Factore (no cinema) and Hemel (no cinema)??

But Morai had nothing to do with chill or Hemel. MK, Cas and Braehead are Morai creations!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like it's becoming a reality!

Quote:
Swindon Borough Council and Moirai Capital Investment Ltd have signed leases to bring a ski slope, water park and concert arena to the town.
---The council hopes that once completed, the development will be a "major regional leisure destination" attracting an estimated four million visitors a year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-17508921
snow report
snowymum wrote:
I wish they'd build one in Crawley or somwhere within reach of Surrey/Sussex.

Absolutely Toofy Grin
snow report
no_snow_in_swindon wrote:

Means you'll have to change your name though.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
What existing slope is that?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I can only imagine this http://ccski.co.uk/new/?page_id=9 ....?

Don't recall that area as overly hilly though....suppose there is a natural slope down towards the valley....
latest report
So after all the years of having the wee wee taken about living in Swindon.....I get my revenge wink
snow report
T Bar wrote:
no_snow_in_swindon wrote:

Means you'll have to change your name though.

What should I change it too? "There_used_to_be_no_snow_in_swindon_but_there_is_now!"

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
I wonder if they'll build this one if the one in Weston Super Mare starts first? Having folks in somerset, if there's a race c'mon weston Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Latest up date
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-20279174
ski holidays
Please please please please please please please!

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Would be very cool Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I'd have to change my name though! But it'll be a small price to pay! Very Happy
latest report
So when is someone going to finish the snowdome they started to build at Beckton (near the London City Airport?) years ago. The foundations are there.
snow report
Thirded for crawley! There's monstrous amounts of vacant space crying out for development in manor royal and despite crawley being a peasant ridden ghettoed dump its got the transport links to be ideal.

The lack of a dome in the south east beggars belief when you look at the numbers of skiers/boarders and the amount of money people have to dispose of is astonishing. Coming from a currently Sussex and ex-surrey dweller, there are more than enough idiots with silly amounts of money to fritter away in a dome and slope side outlets.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Banks won't even lend money to most developers to build residential property outside London, for which there is a huge undersupply. Therefore there is no chance any will lend money to build a ski slope speculatively. And no equity investors will fund 100%, as there are so many more profitable and lower risk places to invest.

Until the banks sort themselves out these ski slopes will just be plans I think.
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
So thats one near Bristol and another along the M4 hmmm... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-16942252

Quote:
Martin Barber, chairman of Moirai, said Swindon was "the perfect site" for a new snow dome.

"We've built three of these before one in Milton Keynes, one in Castleford and another one in Braehead," he said.

"And I've been looking for years for one that can draw from the west side of London and the south and also from Bristol and this is the perfect site."

What do you mean another along the M4? Will ther ebe more than 1 on the M4?
snow conditions
I've heard on the grapevine this is deffo a go but can't find anything online to confirm, anyone else heard anything?

As for the W-S-M dome I can't see that going ahead if the Swindon project starts first, for one thing they haven't got all the investment they need for Weston and I can't see investors risking millions if there's already another dome happening in the South West. The advantage for Swindon is of course that it's that much closer to big population densities in the South East but still close enough to Bristol, the SW and Wales to pull in people from that direction too.
latest report
roga, I read that the Southampton one is definitley a non-runner now. Sad
snow conditions
^ which I guess makes Swindon more of a viable option from their perspective!

Would just like confirmation it's definitely going ahead though, I trust my sources but it'd be nice to have more information.
latest report
Cardiff's supposed to be getting a dome down the Bay.

If that's the case, then that doesn't make Swindon more viable.
snow report
I'm no Eco Warrior (I fly to Japan every winter to ski after all), but what's the environmental impact of indoor snow domes?

Genuine question, not trolling.

And linked to that, are they that popular?
ski holidays
Mike Pow, Cardiff, like Swindon, has had plans on the table for years but IMHO the winner will be whoever starts building and operating first. From what I hear the Swindon project is literally about to start and if that's confirmed I'd bet it'll be Swindon and not Cardiff that happens. If it were the opposite way round I'd be betting on Cardiff but it's not. I could be wrong of course and both might happen afterall I guess there could be enough distance between the two but ultimately I think the W-S-M project is a dead duck if either happen and definitely if both happen.

I'm no expert for sure but I believe the environmental impact varies depending on the building but it's not generally terribly positive!

They are pretty popular, often too popular if crowded and dangerous slopes are not your thing! The problem for these projects though is getting enough return on the massive investment that has to be made to build them, something dry slopes don't generally have to contend with.
snow report
Thanks for that.

Work on Cardiff has started.
snow conditions
Guildford one would be great
latest report
Whilst I understand the argument about not having two snow domes close together it doesn't seem to have stopped them so far.

Tamworth is only 73 miles away from MK and MK is only 31 miles away from Hemel.

Cardiff and Swindon is 70 miles apart and both have huge catchment areas.

Obviously these were all built before the current economic climate took hold but I'm still hopeful I'm gonna have a snowdome on my doorstep snowHead
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
Thanks for that.

Work on Cardiff has started.

Seriously has it?

It's only an hour (or less) from me so I'm happy if it has Very Happy

Any linkys? Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy