Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A £65m snow dome for Swindon.

Poster: A snowHead
Have you got a link to news that work has started on the Cardiff Dome?

I believe the site earmarked for the snowdome is the wasteland which is next door to the pool and temporary ice rink. I visit there for a swim regularly and haven't seen any work being done. Would love to know if its going ahead.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like it's stalled

http://www.goneboarding.co.uk/mobile/forum/cardiffs-finally-getting-its-snow-centre-fingers-crossed/threadid/38631/showthread.aspx
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
james75 wrote:

I believe the site earmarked for the snowdome is the wasteland which is next door to the pool and temporary ice rink. I visit there for a swim regularly and haven't seen any work being done. .

I was there last weekend and there is no sign of anything going on.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Finally Swindon gets a whole thread of it's own, and all people are talking about is Cardiff rolling eyes wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^ lol, there will be more talk about Swindon if they get on site first I reckon. Looks like the Cardiff one isn't actually happening yet so despite what was said above so I'll go back to my original point which was I have it on good authority it's literally about to go!

Would just like to actually have that confirmed, preferably by the sight of diggers etc on site!

Anyway, anyone know how long/what size it's supposed to be in the latest proposals/plans?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll try and keep you updated
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Im sure we could of designed & built at a fraction of the price.

http://www.snowbusinessholland.nl/wa.asp?idWebPage=12445&idDetails=624
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ I agree, the big Dutch domes are what I think we should be aspiring to over here, rather than the short, crowded 100m odd things those behind the UK projects seem to think are good enough. Beats me why one of the companies behind the Dutch domes doesn't grab a piece of the action in the UK, with a 200m or longer slope they'd beat what we have hands down!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
Im sure we could of designed & built at a fraction of the price.

http://www.snowbusinessholland.nl/wa.asp?idWebPage=12445&idDetails=624

Yeah but the land costs for the caravan park would be prohibitive....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bump
Planning submitted
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-33107479
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cat wait, my girls have just become "fridge kids" after a half term course at hemel Hempstead, we live in bath so Swindon will be ideal to visit once or twice a month to keep the ski legs in shape!!!! Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Boredsurfing, Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
300M+ for Paris & Barcelona

http://www.snowworld.com/en/International/International
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So what happened to the Stratford Project??
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What kind of length will it be?
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip,
The rumours are "over 200 metres".
latest report
Really? Cheers @musher, that might actually be worth making the trip!
snow report
http://www.moiraicapital.co.uk/Plans_and_Concept_Images_8.html has "up to 200m" (80m wide, 50m high)
snow report
Wow 80m x 200m with 50m elevation is comparable with Ski Dubai - which I think is No 3 in the world in terms of size. Good luck Swindon - if it actually happens. Many a slip between planning application and first slide. snowHead wink wink snowHead
snow conditions
Hmmm.. yes, the term "up to 200m" could be a bit misleading. However, the 80m width is a just as impressive - I believe the main slope at Hemel is only 30m wide.

Not sure how the 50m elevation compares with other slopes?
snow report
Hmm. Who knew you could have so much fun on the Swindon Council Website's Planning Portal (search for "North Star")?

From the Planning Statement:

Quote:

4.20 The development agreement between MCI and Swindon Borough Council (SBC) requires the provision of a ski slope of a minimum of 175 metres in length.

So we have a minimum length. Another paragraph in the same document claims the model for the design are the Xscapes in MK / Braehead / Castleford.

My (all measurements approximate, heavily caveated) playing with the ruler tool in Photoshop on the plans suggests a maximum of 190m floorpan length in the building footprint labelled as ski slope, which would be 196m of surface if that comes with a 50m drop. That's a maximum though.

(Same playing seems to give between 80 and 81m for the width at the bottom, which is good. My reading of the plans is that the slope is full width for the bottom 110m or so and then narrows gradually down to 45m at the top.)
latest report
mtsuit could it be built with a bend in it? That's what Ski Dubai did to increase slope length within a fixed plot size. That also gave a mid-station at the bend (which is more or less 90 degrees) for the 4 man chair.
Handy Turnip, Ski Dubai's vertical is 60m and it's almost 400m long.
ski holidays
@mtsuit, did you find the planning number?
snow report
@henzerani, number seems to be S/OUT/15/0943. Documents are at http://pa.swindon.gov.uk/publicaccess/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NPOIVZPT0FL00

@Dubaian, the building looks long and thin, so no scope I can see for a bend. No doubt they could claim a longer skiable length if they add extra distance for your turns...
snow report
mtsuit wrote:
Hmm. Who knew you could have so much fun on the Swindon Council Website's Planning Portal (search for "North Star")?

From the Planning Statement:

Quote:

4.20 The development agreement between MCI and Swindon Borough Council (SBC) requires the provision of a ski slope of a minimum of 175 metres in length.

So we have a minimum length. Another paragraph in the same document claims the model for the design are the Xscapes in MK / Braehead / Castleford.

My (all measurements approximate, heavily caveated) playing with the ruler tool in Photoshop on the plans suggests a maximum of 190m floorpan length in the building footprint labelled as ski slope, which would be 196m of surface if that comes with a 50m drop. That's a maximum though.

(Same playing seems to give between 80 and 81m for the width at the bottom, which is good. My reading of the plans is that the slope is full width for the bottom 110m or so and then narrows gradually down to 45m at the top.)

Could it have 2 slopes like Braehead? If you imagine a slightly flattened 'tick mark'; the long part of the tick is the main slope with the shorter part accommodating a 'nursery slope', snowtube slope and a snowtube 'bobsleigh'.
latest report
Looking at the shape of the building it appears to be narrower at the top of the slope, widening out to roughly midway down. My guess is the main slope would be the narrower width running full length from top of building to the bottom and the nursery slope would be accommodated in the extra width from halfway down to the bottom.
snow conditions
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/15632986.North_Star_ski_complex_closer_than_ever_as_developers_reach_major_milestone/

Quote:
The planning application will now be presented to the planning committee on November 14 where it is highly likely to meet with enthusiastic approval.

Which is today!
Will be interesting to see how this pans out...
snow conditions
I do hope this goes ahead glad it isn’t off the cards completely.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What about Snoasis?
snow report
Ironically the area once mooted for a snowdome in Southampton has just started to be developed into a complex of riverside appartments. (The old town depot site near the stadium and American wharf for those that know the area.)
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
Ironically the area once mooted for a snowdome in Southampton has just started to be developed into a complex of riverside appartments. (The old town depot site near the stadium and American wharf for those that know the area.)

As sad as I am to not have a snowdome within a decent distance of Southampton, that really wouldn't have been the best choice of location IMO. Traffic into the city on a Saints match day is extremely busy before the game, and utter chaos out of it afterwards, all roads out of the city completely clogged up for around 2 hours after the game has finished. I know that's only when a game is on, but having such travel chaos every other Saturday or Sunday afternoon isn't going to do the business model much good, I'd have thought.

I still think close to Portsmouth would be a great location, just on/off Portsea Island close to Port Solent. There was talk of doing it not so long ago as there is (or was) land available, an old landfill site. Not sure whatever happened to those plans but seems to have gone very quiet unfortunately.
snow report
For £400k you can buy a technoalpin snowfactory which will make snow in temps up to 25c.

If you had a cheap source of power (say several big wind turbines), a 400m slope, a supply of water, a second hand piste machine with bucket lift, a second hand conveyor belt, some lighting, and some hire skis..?.....why wait to construct a building Laughing

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 14-11-17 21:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Dav, You forgot to mention four cruise ships and a Southampton University open day, not forgetting an Ikea promotion event wink
Yes folks all on one Saturday with Saints playing at home, oh how we laughed...
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
@Dav, You forgot to mention four cruise ships and a Southampton University open day, not forgetting an Ikea promotion event wink
Yes folks all on one Saturday with Saints playing at home, oh how we laughed...

Of course!

There's a very good reason I only live a couple of miles from the city centre but very, very rarely drive to it or through it!
snow conditions
The Swindon Snowdome has had permission passed this evening by Swindon Borough Council!

"Outline planning for ski dome (170m & 70m slopes), largest IMAX in the country, top restaurants and leisure"

Im gonna have to change my name! snowHead snowHead snowHead

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 14-11-17 23:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
https://swindonlink.com/270m-snowasis-leisure-hub-is-given-the-go-ahead/
snow conditions
Do they have the finance in place?
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:

Its been finalised and agreed with developers Seven Capital.

The firm, responsible for successful multi-million pound projects in the UK, the Middle East and Australia, have bought out Moirai and taken their place as the sole partner.

They have announced that they have an operator lined up to run the ski centre part
snow conditions
@no_snow_in_swindon, really hope this happens now, my family will be regular visitors!!!
snow conditions
no_snow_in_swindon wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Its been finalised and agreed with developers Seven Capital.

The firm, responsible for successful multi-million pound projects in the UK, the Middle East and Australia, have bought out Moirai and taken their place as the sole partner.

They have announced that they have an operator lined up to run the ski centre part
OK, good. It's always the finance that holds these projects back. I think I know who the operators might be. Hopefully we can run some Inside Out Skiing clinics there when the slope opens.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy