Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tranceivers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
feef, because if they can get this wrong, what else have they missed that may show up later? This should have shown up in QC at various points. If, as reported, the switch kicked in after 2 minutes, how long did they take checking each unit - 10 secs? Nope - Arva Evolution 3 for me. I appreciate that it may not be as sophisticated but I'm a real believer in KISS where it can be applied and it's been confirmed the Arva has the range. In emergency situations I want simple and reliable over multiple options.

TBH, this is one area where I would love to see a heads-up display set of googles coming into their own. All the other gubbins we talked about + a 3D search/rescue overlay function?!? Winner.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RattytheSnowRat wrote:

TBH, this is one area where I would love to see a heads-up display set of googles coming into their own. All the other gubbins we talked about + a 3D search/rescue overlay function?!? Winner.

Think you've just blown your chance of a patent! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RattytheSnowRat wrote:

I'm already working on it. Having studied the requirements for the transceiver signal, it is possible to overlay data, just a question of what data and if there's anyway of increasing the initial range.

a
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
feef, Prior claim! Prior claim! wink

You should look at the idea of having a linked transceiver and seperate receiver. The receiver would clip on to or into your boot and transmit via Blutooth or by wire that doubles as a switchable ariel to the transceiver at chest level (as normal) or in your helmet (my design is going to incorprate the transceiver PCB and structural battery into a helmet connected to the googles). The angluar difference between the two would then give you a much more refined view of depth/distance which could be shown in 3D on the googles.

Building the transceiver into your helmet also gives you the option of a solar boost if you stuff the exterior shell with PV cells. My design is going to have 4G 'phone and MP3 optional pods that you can use to upgrade. I was also thinking of building in an auto distress call if the helmet was impacted by inversion/G's above a certain level using an accelerometer. I get this all linked to a Pebble (still to arrive Sad ) and I would be a happy little skier.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another thought I had was building receivers into the handles of poles. In a search you would switch them on, they would link to the transceiver wirelessly, you would hold the poles at arms length by the basket end and the transceiver resolution would shoot up factors of accuracy and possibly increased range as well.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
How about ground penetrating radar built into skis, could also be handy for locating crevasses. Seriously I think the issue is making transceivers simple to use and cheap, at fifty euros maybe all skiers would have them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RattytheSnowRat, I think you're overdoing it. too much room for error and device failure. Bear in mind your device would also have to conform to EN 300 otherwise it can't be marketed as an avalanche safety beacon/transceiver. Better to piggyback something basic onto the existing system such as Mammut does with heart-rate on the Pulse
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RattytheSnowRat, If you want to do that, make a 2-part transiever you can throw one part a few meters away and the two units triangulate back the position of the lost beacon.

Develop a multi node one which can be distributed quickly over a wide area and you've got the ability to locate multiple victims to accurate locations in seconds.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jbob wrote:
How about ground penetrating radar built into skis, could also be handy for locating crevasses. Seriously I think the issue is making transceivers simple to use and cheap, at fifty euros maybe all skiers would have them.

nail. head. hit. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard_Sideways, what I really need is a detachable, silvered, avi inflate sack filled with helium. If you go down, it triggers and floats you then you can detach it on a tehter with a seperate receiver (doesn't have to be a transceiver as I am never going to use it to transmit), float it 15 m into the air and get it to transmit down the wire to the transceiver in your hand, then you would get really great angular data. The advantage of the 15m tehter is you also increase line of sight, it moves with you AND as it follows you around it shows others where you are - v useful for the incoming heli/search party. It could have a little flashing light as well.

In fact, there are so many advantages with this that I shall declare it one of my Good Ideas. Anyone want to start an offshoot to our ski manufacturing company? We could call it 'SavYeR's'.

Feast, the price is all down to the volume - you could get a EUR50 transceiver now if you could guarantee sufficient sales volume.

feef, you may have a point but the key parts are just re-shaped and/or re-sited existing transceiver parts. Combining them into a helmet can only increase durability/shock resistance/insulation of a transceiver since the existing helmet characteristics will enhance rather than detract - if done right. You will be doing away with various structural parts so overall it should be better and lighter. There's also a plus from the fact that your head is often higher than any other part of your body in an avalance so having the transmitter in your helmet would help to prevent your body attenuating the signal.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
Richard_Sideways, what I really need is a detachable, silvered, avi inflate sack filled with helium. If you go down, it triggers and floats you then you can detach it on a tehter with a seperate receiver (doesn't have to be a transceiver as I am never going to use it to transmit), float it 15 m into the air and get it to transmit down the wire to the transceiver in your hand, then you would get really great angular data. The advantage of the 15m tehter is you also increase line of sight, it moves with you AND as it follows you around it shows others where you are - v useful for the incoming heli/search party. It could have a little flashing light as well.

Yeah, it would be great, you could use it if you're the one in the slide too, inflate the baloon, hold the string, searchers look for baloon and follow string. Simples. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy