Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early season California

Poster: A snowHead
Is there any chance of being able to ski for a couple of days in California first week of December.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which part of California? Mammoth may have potential.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My wife’s out in La for a week at her Companies annual conference and asked if I want to have a few days in La .Dont much like LA so fancy a few days skiing as we are going try and have 5/6 days in Hawaii as well.If there’s no snow I could go down to San Diego and visit my brother in law so could leave it late to decide.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes - Mammoth is probably a solid bet but quite isolated but other places will at least try to be open for US thanksgiving. Better question is where in California wil you be and what are your expectations e.g. just taking a couple of Tahoe examples Northstar highly likely to have stuff open via snowmaking, Kirkwood likely not worth it if snowmaking alone but if its natural snow its likely to have copped more because of higher base.

If you are in LA though Big Bear or Mammoth are easier to get to than Tahoe.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’ve driven to mammoth before from LA a few years ago and it’s a long drive and I will be on my own ,but there are scheduled flights into mammoth lakes in the winter from La ,San Diego and San Fran .Dont know how early they start and Its a scary looking runway to land on in bad weather .Just never skied in that neck of the woods so early and don’t really know where is likely to be open.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Angus og, not better to contemplate e.g. UT or Jackson? I had a wonderful week in those places in early November on ‘04...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are contemplating getting another flight then SLC would seem to be the obvious candidate for both price and snow proximity, It might well be though that flights LAX to RNO are cheap and plentiful.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If I go to Utah I will need a car and I have Spent a lot of time in park city as my brother in law lived there for 16 years and it is not cheap( think lift pass last year was knocking on for 180bucks a day).If I flew into mammoth I could get a cab to a hotel near the lift base.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you want to get a sense of the area, early December isn't the best. Because you're most likely be skiing man-made runs that looks just like any other, nothing "local" characteristic.

LA really isn't close to ANY decent ski mountains. Go down to San Diego, hire a mountain bike, or a sit-on-top kayak to check out the coastal sea caves, or take a boat trip to the Channel islands...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No thanks to the kayak.Loads of sea lions about there, and in general that means big sharks( and I have seen some)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In fact there’s a tv channel down there which just shows beach and surf conditions and warns you where big sharks have been reported by surfers ,sometimes with video. ( great white ,makos and white tip reef sharks)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You’re a big chance of having decent snow to ski at Mammoth. Sierra snowfall is erratic so there could be very little aside from man made but you have just as big of a chance to be skiing a 70 inch base.
Lodging will be cheap and abundant then - just book last minute.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Where there's water, there will be sharks.

I've seen them in Florida, California. All the good places to surf and swim. At least with kayak, they will only be biting off your paddle blades, not your legs or arms. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Digressing a wee bit here but Wife and i were in Maui a couple of years ago staying in a nice hotel in wailea and there was a full scale evacuation of the sea as two very large sharks started partroliing along the beach no more than 15 feet from the shore . Lifeguard said there was nothing to worry about . We left for Honolulu next day and the day after a young German girl had her arm bitten off by a tiger shark and bled to death on same small beach we had been swimming off.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LA? I stay at Huntington beach and surf right there, no need to go south particularly. Sharks? Never seen any up and down the California coast. Sure, they're there, but hardly a significant risk.
latest report
^ Florida's actually the shark attack capital of the world (I think New Smyrna Beach has something like 15% of global shark bites); just they're all tidlers so it's rare the bites do much damage. Cali's a different matter, with plenty of big 'uns cruising the coast, but attacks are rare. Friend of mine has some spooky stories from the Jalama Bay lineup...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy