Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

off-piste in zermatt ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am an advanced skier. I am visiting zermatt for the first time (next week) and have heard some stories about how the heat wave from last summer has increased the number of crevasses'(sp?). i am not planning to hire a guide.

my question is:

should i stick to groomed/pisted runs. can I go off the pisted track (maybe by 100m) without endangering myself. I have no experience in getting out of a crevasse.

Does zermatt mark which areas it considers as "out of bounds" (not patrolled)? Does zermatt make a distinction between what it considers as "off-piste" Vs "out of bounds"?

thanks for any help.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi mrpow,

I will ask my hubby, he is an advanced skier too and we have been in Zermatt the past 2 years now, approx 3 weeks all in. He knows it fairly well.

From my own knowledge I would say that you can safely do the Stockhorn/Hohtalli/Triftji/Gant sector which used to be all blacks and moguls is now categorised as 'downhill ski runs' yellow on the map. This is Zermatt's 'classic' challenging terrain according to the Where to Ski etc book.

I would say that there are probably many areas where you can stray from the piste by 100m or so yet still be safe, and they will be obvious to you i.e. you can see across to another piste or you have checked it out from the lift on the way up. For example on the Patrullarve chair it is common to see skiers off piste in the trees.

I don't think that Zermatt makes a distinction as you say...basically I think you are either on or off piste.

Re. crevasses, they are definitely an issue and my hubby's group were briefed on them by the guide who obviously knew exactly where they were (this guy was probably born on the mountain and skied before he could walk!!)

Whilst you are not planning to hire a guide if you fancied you could ski with the Ski Club GB rep as they do regular off-piste days and could show you around. My husband skied with them and additionally did an off piste day with them where they did hire a local guide and did a major off piste over the glaciers/walk on ridges day (not my thing at all Sad ) and he had a great time. Really challenging stuff!

The Alpin Center(sic) also do daily off piste tours where you can join a group for one or more days and they do various routes each day app 160 swiss francs/day. They also do a heli skiing day!

I also have the number somewhere of a very experienced British guide working out there who does tours/introductory days etc. He is called Brian I think, came highly recommended. If you want it let me know I will fish it out for you.

Whatever you do I am sure you will have a fantastic time snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy