Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Ooh, David you have been a bad boy...

Quote:

It's been pointed out to you on previous occasions that this is factually incorrect. The figure mentioned/suggested to admin was £12 per news item (this was in 2004/5).

That other thread is littered with denials that any money had ever been asked for:

Quote:
I have never demanded money from snowHeads. admin made the allegation ...

"you are also the only person to have asked to be paid for posting on snowHeads"

... and it is false.

Quote:
I have never asked for, or demanded, money from snowHeads. Everything provided to the site has been free and can continue to be free.

This last one seems to me to be rather unequivocal:

Quote:
I have never asked for payment for any postings to snowHeads. I have never demanded payment for any postings to snowHeads.

Gimme a break!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I see that the latest allegations about tax have been removed by the moderators/forum Nazis.

'Can't have things like that being aired, vhat vhat!' 'Ve must protect the ze Oberführer at all costs!'

Where's the next Bash, Berchtesgaden or the mountains of North Korea?

ss-nowHeads.com
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gerry wrote:
I see that the latest allegations about tax have been removed by the moderators..

And rightly too. Admin's tax payments are a matter for him and HMRC. If you or DG have evidence that he is evading tax then I suggest you submit the evidence to HMRC, otherwise it's none of your (or our) business. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Gerry wrote:
I see that the latest allegations about tax have been removed by the moderators..

And rightly too. Admin's tax payments are a matter for him and HMRC. If you or DG have evidence that he is evading tax then I suggest you submit the evidence to HMRC, otherwise it's none of your (or our) business. Madeye-Smiley

True, but other equally false allegations about other parties have been left up over the years despite complaints. It's hypocrisy. Obviously there's no truth to the allegations, apparently 'everyone knows' Goldsmith is a liar, so why the need to remove?

BTW, you clip off the nazi bit in my post but do you do that with SKGB when that's thrown in as an insult?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

BTW, you clip off the nazi bit in my post

To me that's just showing a bit of sensitivity and sticking to the point that was being raised.

Are you really having a go at the moderation on snowheads? I have to admit I find it incredibly open with very little interference in what's being said.

The nazi insult does seem a bit uncalled for.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
olderscot wrote:
Quote:

BTW, you clip off the nazi bit in my post

To me that's just showing a bit of sensitivity and sticking to the point that was being raised.

Are you really having a go at the moderation on snowheads? I have to admit I find it incredibly open with very little interference in what's being said.

The nazi insult does seem a bit uncalled for.

Is SKGB uncalled for? It's the stock insults for ss-nowHeads.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gerry wrote:

BTW, you clip off the nazi bit in my post but do you do that with SKGB when that's thrown in as an insult?

Gerry wrote:

Is SKGB uncalled for? It's the stock insults for ss-nowHeads.

I left off your nazi reference as I found it gratuitously offensive to the moderators who do an excellent job imv.

As someone who was a member of the SCGB for more than 20 years and who benefited from it during my membership I have never referred to to it as SKGB on snowheads.

However, your aggressive boorish attitude sadly makes it very unlikely that I would consider rejoining. Another Gerry PR success for SCGB (not)!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alastair Pink wrote:

As someone who was a member of the SCGB for more than 20 years and who benefited from it during my membership I have never referred to to it as SKGB on snowheads.
!

Others do all the time, it's the stock insult around here. Would you edit that out if quoting a post that contained it? Not that the constant KGB reference bother me, but if people want to dish it out then they needs to be able to take it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Who knew Gerry was so sensitive for all his big boy talk? Not that it bothers him of course he's simply had to shoehorn a very laboured attempt at relevancy into his desire to invoke Godwin.

As we're talking poor wartime analogies anyone ever though Gerry is a bit like one of those Japanese soldiers found abandoned on a tiny Pacific island? Still fighting a war of them v us that had never really existed and certainly not in the past decade.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Who knew Gerry was so sensitive for all his big boy talk? Not that it bothers him of course he's simply had to shoehorn a very laboured attempt at relevancy into his desire to invoke Godwin.

As we're talking poor wartime analogies anyone ever though Gerry is a bit like one of those Japanese soldiers found abandoned on a tiny Pacific island? Still fighting a war of them v us that had never really existed and certainly not in the past decade.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/search.php?mode=results

One of your favourite insults. Some of the moderators have also used it many times.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll happily admit I've used it primarily because it's too good a pun to pass up and also because it is a bit facetious and has a very very tiny grain of truth about it.

The starkest difference to me is that while dadmin wants sHs to be about inclusiveness and fun with a fair amount of freespiritedness/dicking about, the SCGB seems to be by its nature about regimenting and sorting and status with a touch of groupthink. No problem if that's how you get your kicks/validation as a skier but I suspect it's a decreasing pool of people who are really interested in that now the attraction of "free guiding" is being severely clipped back.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll happily admit I've used it primarily because it's too good a pun to pass up and also because it is a bit facetious and has a very very tiny grain of truth about it.

The starkest difference to me is that while dadmin wants sHs to be about inclusiveness and fun with a fair amount of freespiritedness/dicking about, the SCGB seems to be by its nature about regimenting and sorting and status with a touch of groupthink. No problem if that's how you get your kicks/validation as a skier but I suspect it's a decreasing pool of people who are really interested in that now the attraction of "free guiding" is being severely clipped back.

Utter rubbish and you probably know it. If organising groups of equal ability is 'regimenting' then ss-nowheads is guilty too, along with snoworks and others. As for groupthink, well, a quick flick through this grotty little forum and it's here in abundance. 'Nazi references! Can't have that, what what![rattle of tea cups]' 'KGB? That's fine, everyone thinks so, what what?'
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gerry,
Quote:

a quick flick through this grotty little forum

Why on earth do you stay here? You've got a ski club which you like, why don't you stick to it and leave everyone else alone?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
@Gerry,
Quote:

Why on earth do you stay here? You've got a ski club which you like, why don't you stick to it and leave everyone else alone?

Just having my say on the subjects of, DG, the Ski Club and ss-nowHeads. If you don't want to read it then use the greatest and most popular technical advancement this site has made in the last 13yrs, the ignore function.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Someone has to ensure that the anti-SCGB vibe is never lost. Just when it really has dropped to complete irrelevance, someone needs to make sure that the "sH being anti-SCGB" ammunition is replenished.

Bugger. Now I've bumped this too.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@Gerry,
Quote:

Defending the honour of the SCGB from Goldsmith and the assorted lowlifes on here is one of his missions in life. That he does it so artlessly is purely down to his own genius.
ski holidays
My mind must be very confused. I've a distinct memory of posting 4 quality news items on this page yesterday ... but (scrolling back) I seem to have last posted on the previous page (121) on Tuesday. The discount offer of all 4 news nuggets for £5 was a joke, by the way.

Anyway, working backwards ... selectively ...

I've made the point on numerous occasions that the proportion of British skiers belonging to the Ski Club of Great Britain appears to have fallen from approximately 30%, when I first became a member in 1962, to under 3% in 2017. Whatever the causes, the SCGB needs to understand them if it has any serious survival objective. I believe that open objective communication is the first call for any organisation of any sort. Your word "groupthink" is a very good one to discuss ... perhaps even more so in relation to snowHeads (clearly now some form of cult, with its own language, on top of all its weirdnesses) than the SCGB!

What is it with clubs?

Gerry wrote:
I see that the latest allegations about tax have been removed by the moderators/forum Nazis.

An outrageously stupid and damaging use of that word. The people my father and grandparents escaped from in Berlin in 1939 were not social media moderators - they were people who eventually murdered over 6 million people. What is the point of misrepresenting/diminishing the word "Nazi" in this way, and therefore diminishing the massive sacrifices made by this country's population and armed services (not to mention the peoples devastated by Nazism in mainland Europe) to achieve the freedom of communication you enjoy? You claim to be some sort of patriot, but bouncing the word Nazi in this way achieves the direct opposite of patriotism.

You should relieve the Ski Club of Great Britain of the damage you cause it, by throwing in the towel right now.

[quote="olderscot"]Ooh, David you have been a bad boy...

Quote:

It's been pointed out to you on previous occasions that this is factually incorrect. The figure mentioned/suggested to admin was £12 per news item (this was in 2004/5).

That other thread is littered with denials that any money had ever been asked for:

Quote:
I have never demanded money from snowHeads. admin made the allegation ...

"you are also the only person to have asked to be paid for posting on snowHeads"

... and it is false.

Quote:
I have never asked for, or demanded, money from snowHeads. Everything provided to the site has been free and can continue to be free.

Not sure if that was tongue in cheek. I simply drew the distinction between 'demanding' money for writing news and 'requesting' it. Obviously a demand (invoice) can only be issued by mutual consent, and that never happened. In actual fact - as the record proves - the hundreds of news stories posted to snowHeads after the negotiation with admin failed never cost the site a single penny anyway. I'd like to re-emphasise, however, that I never suggested payment of £20 per news report - the amount was £12. It's all pretty academic, because as far as we're aware sH has never had a paid news writer.

I did make the point about admin writing weekly snow reviews, because these were paid for by sponsors ... so the concept of journalism having a value does seem to be accepted. We've made some progress, at least!

davidof wrote:
I was more interested in what your alleged "delusional" ideas were to be honest.

So was I. It wasn't a word I ever used!
snow conditions
Davina Goldballs wrote:

Gerry wrote:

An outrageously stupid and damaging use of that word. The people my father and grandparents escaped from in Berlin in 1939 were not social media moderators - they were people who eventually murdered over 6 million people. What is the point of misrepresenting/diminishing the word "Nazi" in this way, and therefore diminishing the massive sacrifices made by this country's population and armed services (not to mention the peoples devastated by Nazism in mainland Europe) to achieve the freedom of communication you enjoy? You claim to be some sort of patriot, but bouncing the word Nazi in this way achieves the direct opposite of patriotism.

You should relieve the Ski Club of Great Britain of the damage you cause it, by throwing in the towel right now.

Yet you have no objection to the Ski Club being likened to the KGB. The KGB was up to its neck in mass murder yet its use in connection with the Ski Club doesn't bother you? Well it wouldn't, would it, because you are a massive hypocrite.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Forum%20Nazi

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2148713&highlight=forum+nazi#2148713

And of course there are all the times ‘grammar nazi’ has been used on here.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2270958&highlight=grammer+grammar+nazi#2270958
snow report
Gerry wrote:
... you are a massive hypocrite.

No I'm not. You write utter hipposhit.
The reason a wag - many many years ago - dubbed the SCGB the "SKGB" was that at least two of its most famous members (now long dead) were significant members of the British intelligence services during WW2 and the 'Cold War. One of these SCGB members cocked it up completely though, and it transpired that he was the boss of one of the most notorious MI6-KGB double agents in the history of spy-v-spy cock-ups.
I have never referred to the SCGB as the "SKGB" and - unlike you - do not draw a moral equivalence between its activities and those of the Nazis ... who committed genocide against 6+ million innocent people.
To refer to moderators on this forum as "Nazis" is outrageous. Whatever function they perform is not comparable in any way or form.
ski holidays
@Davina Goldballs,
Quote:

I simply drew the distinction between 'demanding' money for writing news and 'requesting' it.
If that's not scraping the barrel of lame excuses I don't know what is!
Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Davina Goldballs wrote:

I have never referred to the SCGB as the "SKGB" and - unlike you - do not draw a moral equivalence between its activities and those of the Nazis ... who committed genocide against 6+ million innocent people.
To refer to moderators on this forum as "Nazis" is outrageous. Whatever function they perform is not comparable in any way or form.

Dictators are, as even you might imagine, not all that keen on recording how many people they are killing, so it's a bit tricky to establish exactly how many people died as a result of Stalin. Estimates of the death toll vary widely, from 3.5-8 million (G Ponton) at the low end to 60 million (A Solzhenitsyn). Today, most historians seem to have settled on a total of about 20 million and you can bet your life that the KGB killed their fair share. I think that communist mass murders are just as bad as Nazi mass murders in the moral sense, even without taking into account the sheer weight of numbers on the communist side.
Anyway, moderators get the same deal traffic wardens and elf & safety inspectors get. So the term 'forum nazi' has entered the modern lexicon whether you like it or not.
latest report
Has the irony that the person using the term 'Nazi' is called Gerry been spotted by anyone else?
ski holidays
martinb wrote:
Has the irony that the person using the term 'Nazi' is called Gerry been spotted by anyone else?

What's your surname then, Bormann?
snow report
@martinm, @Gerry, Nice bit of humour, well done ✅
snow conditions
geoffknight wrote:
@martinm, @Gerry, Nice bit of humour, well done ✅

If anyone can inject humour, Gerry can. Wink
snow conditions
I had to Google....
snow conditions
On a more practical note and having been put in my place by @On the rocks, and Rosie is there a problem happening at the Ski Club with regards the allocation of Leaders? Originally the info was to be given by the end of September "as always", then by late last week and then by early this week. And before On the Rocks asks, I'm asking this here as I suspect I'm more likely to get an unbiased answer.
ski holidays
IN OTHER NEWS

NOT REPORTED BY THE SKI CLUB OF GB
(or 'snowNews' ... the news dept. of snowHeads, which hasn't carried a news story since 1 August)

"DAVID 'THE HOFF' HASSELHOFF ... HEADLINES LONDON SKI SHOW"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1121487421287477/
- or - https://www.inthesnow.com/first-eagle-now-hoff-lands-london-ski-show/

"LES 2 ALPES CANCELS OCTOBER SKIING ...
... due to glacial snow melt."
https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1121059111330308/
- or - https://www.inthesnow.com/les-2-alpes-cancels-autumn-ski-opening-festival/

"CAIRNGORM PLANS 'SNOW FACTORY'
SO DOES GLENCOE"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1120877971348422/
Further BBC report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-41579304

"PRESIDENT TRUMP IS BAD FOR SKIING"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1120779438024942/
- or - https://www.outsideonline.com/2246886/president-trump-bad-skiing

"GOOGLE DOODLE HONOURS FAMED SKI EXPLORER"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1120442021392017/
- or - https://www.cnet.com/news/google-doodle-honors-traveler-and-humanitarian-fridtjof-nansen/

------------------------------------------------------

REPORTED BY THE SKI CLUB OF GB

A candidate for election to the Council of the Ski Club of Great Britain (annual general meeting on 16 November) has expressed concern about the outcome of the sale of the Club's Wimbledon HQ. Joanna Milner-Percy, a long-standing member and previous Council member, writes (in her election address) ...

Quote:

Elected to Council in 1997, many discussions pertinent to the move from Eaton Square were well under way but I heard and contributed to arguments for investing and safeguarding the Club's future: with a freehold property providing lateral office space, generating some income from letting and a splendid reception room for displaying the historic memorabilia, rightly called The Arnold Lunn Library. Wimbledon, in outer London, was not my choice and the social aspect of the Club has since suffered.

The SCGB did make that freehold (i.e. permanent) investment in 1997. 20 years later, and 'back to the future'. Her prognosis:

Quote:

Like many loyal, long term Leaders and members I am concerned for the Club's future - its reputation as the standard bearer of British skiing, custodian of skiing history and the social aspect of the Club both in the UK, and in resort. I have ideas for a London location, displaying the ski history doubling as a Club meeting place, investing in property, not in a leaky bank account and how to attract young loyal skiers to the Club - just as we were in our twenties.

For background on the sale of the 'White House' in Wimbledon ...

November 2015: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/search/?query=Wimbledon
May 2016: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/search/?query=White%20House
June 2016: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/permalink/1811499599136804/
May 2017: https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1008203645949189/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Davina Goldballs wrote:

"LES 2 ALPES CANCELS OCTOBER SKIING ...
... due to glacial snow melt."
https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1121059111330308/
- or - https://www.inthesnow.com/les-2-alpes-cancels-autumn-ski-opening-festival/

"CAIRNGORM PLANS 'SNOW FACTORY'
SO DOES GLENCOE"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1120877971348422/
Further BBC report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-41579304

We've already covered both of those on snowheads previously, yesterday digital fish and chip paper now.
latest report
davidof wrote:
We've already covered both of those on snowheads previously, yesterday digital fish and chip paper now.

Thank you, and best regards to your digital fish.

Digital Goldfish

BREAKING NEWS FROM BRITAIN'S NATIONAL SKI CLUB

Nothing fishy about any of this ...

[these reports are exclusive to WTF Ski Club, I'm afraid, so if you hate Fishbook ... tough!]

"SKI CLUB OF GB ANNOUNCES NEW STRATEGY"

Big changes in objectives announced yesterday: a new HQ, a new pub, and the SCGB's collection of ski heritage on the move.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1122014207901465/

"MORE FROM THE SCGB:
ANNUAL REPORT CLAIMS 109% INCREASE IN STUDENT MEMBERSHIP"

It's all there - in black and white, but what does it mean?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1122406437862242/
ski holidays
Somehow, the world's greatest ski journalist has omitted this from his list of announcements:

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news/ski-club-news/2017/10/chemmy-alcott-announced-as-ski-club-of-great-britain-honorary-president
latest report
Bypassing the facebook clickbait component https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news/ski-club-news/2017/10/update-on-ski-club-premises-investment-social-venue-and-memorabilia

https://issuu.com/skiclub/docs/ski_club_of_great_britain_annual_re

If I understand correctly, it will be 23 1/2 hours until he can post again so we stand the possibility to have a reasonable discussion about this unless Gerry/Pjski turns up before then.
ski holidays
Quote:

Somehow, the world's greatest ski journalist has omitted this from his list of announcements:

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news/ski-club-news/2017/10/chemmy-alcott-announced-as-ski-club-of-great-britain-honorary-president

Good for Chemmy. Weirdly my estimation of the SCGB has gone up in one fell swoop.
snow conditions
botw wrote:
Bypassing the facebook clickbait component https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news/ski-club-news/2017/10/update-on-ski-club-premises-investment-social-venue-and-memorabilia

If I understand correctly, it will be 23 1/2 hours until he can post again so we stand the possibility to have a reasonable discussion about this unless Gerry/Pjski turns up before then.

An official Ski Club venue in central London then. Is it a good idea? Well, yes it probably is. Will the decision be seized upon by the Club’s detractors as evidence of a London centric attitude? Yes of course. It will be a tangible benefit that a large number of members and potential members won’t have easy access to. It will be interesting to see what the hinted at regional arrangements turn out to be.

I hope that’s sensible enough.
snow report
Even some of the rednecks from t'north and way out west do occasionally come up (or as we say, down ) to Lunnon and it can be another stop on the "must see" list. If t'food and price is right they might even go twice. But I think it is being a bit hopeful that they will automatically meet a kindred spirit there ....how will they be recognised ?? Praps wear a badge and await the challenge " You are a Ski Club Member and I will drink with thee".
But not to knock it right now. All initiatives need a try.Good luck to it.
latest report
The real question is will the Ski Club Pub have sHs spacehoppers or do they just mean some Sloaney haven like Bodo's
latest report
SCGB UPDATES

On top of all the other extraordinary news this past week from The White House, the Ski Club of GB revealed (late on Friday afternoon 13 October) that a key executive (for many the consistently friendly and very diplomatic face of the SCGB in recent times) was leaving the organisation. Simon Henwood, the Club's former head of resort operations who then headed up its commercial partnerships is - according to PlanetSki - joining Switzerland Tourism in London as Sales Manager (UK & Ireland).

Reports: WTF Ski Club [with link to SCGB news report on this:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1122564057846480/
PlanetSki:
http://www.planetski.eu/news/9640

MEMBERSHIP DOWN 0.1%, STUDENT MEMBERSHIP UP 109%, BUT MEMBERSHIP REVENUE DOWN 4.9%[b]

See SCGB 2017 annual report:
The data is on pages 6 (membership revenue), 11 (membership figures) and 12 (student membership)
Could someone with great mathematical skills than I possess please explain how this is possible?

The past decade of SCGB membership data ... [from each annual report] ... shows falls in each of the past 9 years.

2017: 27,789
2016: 27,822
2015: 28,597
2014: 28,990
2013: 30,110
2012: 30,457
2011: 31,448 (17,114 paying units)
2010: 32,963 (17,893 paying units)
2009: 33,108 (18,084 paying units)
2008: 33,761 (19,114 paying units)
2007: 33,566 (19,139 paying units)

Paying units have not been declared since 2011.

[b]NON-COMPETITIVE 'ELECTIONS' OF CHAIRMAN AND TREASURER

Despite their participation - as SCGB board members - in most of 9 successive years of membership decline (from a base of the SCGB accounting for fewer than 3% of British skiers), the 'chairman elect' and 'treasurer elect' will NOT be submitted to the membership for competitive election. Subject to the membership nodding them through on 16 November (AGM), the new chairman of the SCGB will be Malcolm Bentley and the treasurer will be Ian Holt.

See page 7, and the voting form (with details of 'Survey Monkey' electronic voting) on page 29.
Note that independent scrutiny of SCGB elections by Electoral Reform Ballot Services - the Club's long-serving scrutineers - has been discontinued.

It is not known how 'Survey Monkey' verifies SCGB memberships, and eligibility to vote. The voting link, extracted to here directly from the annual report, is public and accessible to anyone: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SCGB2017

GERRY GETS THE GIG

Those of you who care for the continued expenses-paid skiing of Gerry Aitken will be pleased to know that he will ski - at members' expense - in Chamonix from 23 December to 30 December 2017, and from 30 December 2017 to 6 January 2018.
Gerry's more than welcome to detail his prospective duties while following the professional instructors/guides who will be leading the two groups:
'All Mountain Development' and 'Off Piste Adventure'

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/leaders/gerry-aitken-1

[end of SCGB Updates]
snow conditions
I always think Skiing is a good thing so if Gerry gets a couple of weeks skiing with / for the SCGB then good for him. I wish him luck and good snow, just as I'd do for anyone.
latest report
Latest SCGB job opportunity ...

The Ski Club is looking for a Community Executive for the coming season
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news/ski-club-news/2017/10/the-ski-club-is-looking-for-a-community-executive-for-the-coming-season

Quote:
The Ski Club of Great Britain is the UK’s largest snow sports membership organisation. We are seeking a Community Executive to support our in-resort programmes, including the Ski Club Leader Service, Instructor Led Guiding and Ski Club Freshtracks.
latest report
It is now 28 days and counting - 4 Thursdays time - to the 2017 annual general meeting of the Ski Club of Great Britain, to be held at the City of London Club, 19 Old Broad Street, London, EC2N 1DS ... on Thursday 16 November at 6pm.

Looks like a decent pad, which was founded - impressively - in 1832 (this was relatively early in the era of London 'gentlemen's clubs' which - at their height - numbered over 400 in London, during the Victorian/Dickensian era). Unlike the SCGB, which was founded 71 years after that, this 'body of bankers' retains freehold (one assumes) ownership of a piece of real estate. If lessons can be learned (unless it's too late for that), perhaps they can be learned between these four walls ... and the brainwalls of the people who run the joint.

Photo: Hire Space. https://hirespace.com/Venues/London/1379/City-of-London-Club
Looking at the various spaces on offer within the building, one assumes that the AGM will be held either in the 'City Suite' (capacity 100 people), 'Main Dining Room' (300), 'Garden Room' (100) or 'Drawing Room' (200).

The only previous occasion on which I can recall the SCGB switching the venue of its AGM from its own clubhouse was the decision - well over 25 years ago - to use the premises of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (not far from the SCGB's former building at 118 Eaton Square). That decision was taken because of an anticipated increase in attendance at the meeting.

Any sensible member of the Ski Club of GB - and I certainly put myself in that category - would be well-advised to attend this meeting if they have any concern over the future national organisation of our recreational sport. The right people must be chosen to serve the interests of British skiers - and the Club. A reasonable level of scrutiny and questioning must be applied by members of the Club's annual report. Membership decline must be reversed! [see posting above]

The forthcoming rented premises of the SCGB, by the end of November ...

Connect House, 133-137 Alexandra Road, London, SW19 7JY
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy