Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new to ski touring

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I am relatively new to ski touring and looking to buy touring skis which could also be used occasionally on piste.
I am keen to get some idea of realistic ski weight and waist width for hut to hut touring ... nothing too extreme in terms of skiing
I am comfortable on red and black runs on piste and have done several back country day trips on rented touring skis and telemark skis
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads.
I hope a proper tourer will be along soon. I'm more the type who does some skinning to get to good snow and exciting lines others don't ski (though I did a 3 day tour once), so I have Fritschi Freeride or Marker Baron bindings which are heavy for uphill but ski like normal Alpine bindings. The big difference in weight is, I would have thought, more in the binding than the ski, and you will certainly want much lighter Dynafit bindings (and boots) if you want to do proper tours. Others will be along to advise about which ones and which skis, but I would go for a semi-fat all mountain ski with a waist not more than 10cm.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 22-12-12 23:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulh5000, Scott Crusair might suit.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bit subjective but I have Atomic Theory (95mm underfoot), pretty light and shod with Marker Tour F10.

The Theory's are not an out and out touring ski, but they should certainly fit your requirement of occasional piste and whilst the Tour F10's never seem to get 'good' revue's (I'm a bit at a loss why not) they are light and plenty sturdy enough for touring Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
K2 Sideshow? Bit beefier than your average touring skis, but light enough that its still fine for lots of uphill. Got a nice geometry and design, and the k2 skin fastening sustem is quite handy, too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ditto snowball
For Hut to hut touring you want Dynafit bindings and compatable touring or freeride boots.
Skis is a matter of personal choice, but don't go over 100mm under-foot, watch the weight, and not too soft torsionaly.
(ie. they need to be reasonably stiff side to side, so they hold an edge predicatably)
FYI I have Volkl Kendos with Dynafits & Garmont Radium boots, which I use for everything.
However, would probably get lighter, more touring orientated boots if I was going to do a lot of touring.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skied the K2 Sideshow + Dynafit combo for three winters as my light set up! Love them and they've probably done about 100days.

The K2 Coomback + Dynafit combo this year is working well too, a little more weight but more girth just makes them easier to handle in
challenging conditions or terrain.

The Marker 'F12/F10 Tour' is a good option too and I've used that heaps with a Hardside or Coomback, probably not my choice for Hut to hut
because I have Dynafit?! Fine for all the classic day tour's around chamonix however.

The Dalbello 'Sherpa' was 'Virus' has been my boot of choice, as the down hill performance is just great. I'd go with a boot that fits your foot!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulh5000, Crusairs and Dynafits are a pretty good combination and are the only ski I've used since March 2011. They have done about 50 days now, over 1/2 lift served piste skiing and are quite reliable.

Crusairs yesterday in Austria Smile ..

Edit ... and where they took me today Cool ...

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just come across this thread... I'm interested too. I've done lots of off piste and need to get touring as I'm getting bored with piste. Are all the suggestions above suitable for a woman of 10 stone?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cipria, going off piste doesn't necessarily mean touring. I ski almost entirely off-piste (I only ski pistes to get to or from off piste areas) and regularly use skins to get far away from everything human (except my companions and most of the time a guide) but I decided many years ago that proper hut to hut touring wasn't for me.

Start with short climbs (an hour perhaps) and then day tours where you are spending more time skinning than skiing. If you find you enjoy the climbing almost as much as (or as much as) the downhill skiing then you are a natural tourer and need the proper Dynafit lightweight equipment. Personally skinning is more a means to an end so I prioritise the downhill and put up with heavier bindings. Sex has little to do with it.

If you don't have a group of friends to tour with there are clubs such as Eagles, or guiding companies who put together groups or the Ski Club of GB does several touring holidays each year. The optimum number to hire a guide privately is 6 since this is usually the most that guides like to take. I do this with my friends and for 6 days guiding (during an 8 day holiday) it normally comes out at somewhere around €400 each (it can vary depending where you are).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Budge is very important. If you are buying new and can afford it you will be looking at Crusairs. If you are looking at a non-carbon ski then my advice would by to obsess about ski weight in order to make a short list. You will be surprised how much they vary. The good old Scott Mission for example is a great ski at a great weight. Any ski less than 1.8kg at about 90mm underfoot is going to make a good touring ski. Avoid twin tips owing to the difficulty of fitting skins.

How heavy/light are you? The Marker Tour bindings are excellent and better than Fritschis if you are on the lighter side, say 12-13 stone or less. They ski like a piste binding and can be adjusted easily with a pole on the go.

My third suggestion would not to let your gear get ahead of your use as it can get expensive.

Have fun out there.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, I have old(ish) Scott Missions - but they have rockers now. I wish they wouldn't change skis and call them the same thing. Probably still a good ski, though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy