Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dec skiing in Avoriaz / Morzine. Should I be worried?

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Morzine on Dec 15th. Should I be worried about snow or lack of it?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads, stokieboy, snowHead . Yes, if you get to Morzine in 4 weeks time and there's no snow, it would be worrying indeed. No point worrying right now, though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stokieboy, I'm not quite sure what you're looking for here.

I'd be more worried that I don't think the lifts are open all week from that date? Could be wrong...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Worried - what good will that be. You should be excited and trust to luck. Avoriaz up the hill is looking white.
http://livecam.avoriaz.com/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
stokieboyI'd be more worried that I don't think the lifts are open all week from that date? Could be wrong...

Lifts start running 18th Dec !
For snow alert http://www.morznet.com/dump_alert.php
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just heard a rumour that Avoriaz hope to open up a lift or two this weekend (probably the Arare).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lechbob, you sure, Avoriaz are pimping the pre Xmas week starting 17th...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stokieboy, Worry indeed, low French resorts (at 1100 m) are a big risk for snow in the middle of Dec and there may well still be cows grazing on the 'at resort' pistes, therefore they are best booked at a few days notice at this time of year (rather than a month in advance) when you can assess snow levels etc.

Imho you would have been better advised booking some where higher in France or at a comparable altitude in Austria Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.morznet.com/lift-system/morzine-lift-system-and-passes.htm

Their website states
"Opening & Closing Dates for Morzine Lifts - Winter
Snow cover permitting, the lifts in the Portes du Soleil ski area will be open from 18th December until 25th April. The links from Morzine/Les Gets to the whole of the Portes du Soleil will be open from 18th December to 10th April (snow depending) and then the lifts in Avoriaz will remain open until 25th April."

I wouldn't take it for definite.
Morzine is a bit low but the lift up to Avoriaz at 1800 m.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So snow permitting and worrying aside I should be able to ski Avoriaz on 16 & 17 then possibly Morzine les Gets on 18, 19 Dec?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stokieboy, Yes, looks like it. We shall be in LG from weekend of 11th and hoping to ski Avoriaz to start with and then Morzine LG when it opens.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pamski, We are there from the 11th also! In Avoriaz it will be open at that time. stokieboy, not sure about all the links but Avoriaz will be open!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stokieboy, yep, snow permitting.

Fingers mightily crossed as I am intending to try new boots on the 10th...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stokieboy, I am going in January but from past experience the lower slopes webcams will stay green for a couple of weeks yet. It is due to get colder soon and the snow cannons will be started. Avoriaz is looking pretty white now, and it does not take much snow to get the lower slopes covered. I arrived in Les Gets a couple of years ago when the snow had been really bad (Les Gets had been closed at one point) and saw grass in resort. It started snowing that afternoon and there was plenty of snow all week after that. Unlike higher resorts with rocky slopes Morzine can change literally overnight, so hopefully things will improve on the webcam for you over the next couple of weeks
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just happened to notice, as you do, that the cannons are in place in LG Very Happy
ski holidays
Thank you all for the input. I shall sleep soundly tonight!.......and dream of hammering down the last run of the day into Morzine town for a vin chaud or two. (am I pushing my luck now?!)
snow report
stokieboy,

They generally open on a partial basis the same as Flaine does on the 11 Dec with full operation from the 18th.

Passes between 11-18 th are normally cheap at around €15 or so per day as it's party week.

I spent a few days trying to ski in the ice and fog there at exactly the same time last year and plan to do odd days in Chamonix/Flaine/Avoriaz and Morzine this year too 12-17/18 Dec. I will be Samoens based Cool
ski holidays
I was up at the Haut Fort yesterday and there was a considerable size base with about 20cm soft snow on top. They been pisting (sp?) the pistes up there for a few weeks now, and it's snowed on and on for the last week with more forecast next week. So snow wise you shouldn't have a problem.

A lot of the resorts in the pds open partially on the 4th dec, then gradually open over the next 2 weeks until everything opens on the 18th. before the 18th you may find a couple of links closed or the odd lift but there'll be plenty to keep you occupied. They do the staggered opening every year.

All in all, you'll be fine!
snow report
fijit, what if temperatures rise above zero at 1500 meters for the next 2 weeks ?
snow report
My OH was in Les Gets the weekend around 15 November 3 years ago - he went out for a bit of maintenance around the chalet while I was in States with new grandchild (hence I remember how many years ago) - the snow arrived, he went out skiing as they opened a couple of lifts, and took the most wonderful photos that weekend. I think another Snowhead has the Red Eggs covered in snow as wall paper now!
snow report
Pamski, Blush
snow report
I've not skied that area at that time of year, but we were there about 10 years ago when snow conditions were dire all across the alps & the area fared a lot better than most. Les Gets & particularly Morzine itself snow cover was limited & somewhat icy, but Avoriaz & all the surrounding area was fine. That obviously doesn't help much if lifts aren't open Confused
ski holidays
stokieboy, don't worry be happy. Not much you can do about it and Avoriaz will be fine. We ski at the beginning (albeit not quite as early as you) and end of most seasons and have done lots of worrying in the past. I'm not one for superstition but find that if we bring our walking boots, we won't need them.
snow report
so should stokieboy be worried ?
ski holidays
rayscoops, Doesn't look like it! Very Happy
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, excellent Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

should stokieboy be worried ?

you should never be worried. Just furs up the arteries. snowHead
ski holidays
is that Daisey the Cow munching grass on the piste on the Morzine website cam ? Little Angel
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, Daisey will soon be covered by snow from the cannons Little Angel
snow conditions
chrisb wrote:
rayscoops, Daisey will soon be covered by snow from the cannons Little Angel

So that's how moo-guls are made. Very Happy
snow conditions
Stokieboy here. I am now officially NOT worried!! Bags packed, Avoriaz thurs fri and then Morzine Lets Get Sat and Sun Bring it on. All i can say is poor Daisy.
latest report
stokieboy, sweet Very Happy expect snow as ordered for your trip on 16th/17th Dec wink enjoy !!
ski holidays
There is good skiing in avoriaz and chatlel was excellent yesterday.
It's been snowing most of the day and more is forecast for the weekend!
latest report
dixon66 wrote:
There is good skiing in avoriaz and chatlel was excellent yesterday.
It's been snowing most of the day and more is forecast for the weekend!

hi ive been told the snow is very poor at the moment, we have a party of 3 going out on Friday 18th dec 2015 .. Do you think I should cancel or just go and bite the bullet.
thanks in advance .
latest report
@rhinogoo,

1. What do you save by cancelling? If there's a material economic or time gain and you can rebook for later in the season, maybe. You have to offset any cash loss and of course the moral issue that (unless you are with a tour operator) your accommodation provider will lose out (and the snow or not isn't their issue - for example, we had a busy October and had to turn people away in November. Not being disingenuous, but we rent beds, not snow). Tour operators are different animals in that they sell you a specific type of holiday...

2. Last Christmas was arguably, and based on current information, and for us in Chamonix a little worse. We had one group who wanted to cancel , didn't and ended up just having a really good, unstressed, no worries about skiing (who worries about skiing?) holiday.

And although the snow cover is not as good as us powder hounds would like it, I would hope that there'd easily be enough piste skiing to keep you very happy.

Seriously.
ski holidays
FreeRider
Yea you are right, its just we have been spoilt ,I have been to morzine 16 times with all different types of snow and just love the place, I suppose we could ave more of a chill holiday and just make do with what we are given..
Snow comes first ,then beer.... So perhaps we could do beer first and snow second .
thanks for opinion .. just been on the phone to the rest of the party and we are going..lol...
latest report
@rhinogoo, cancel and give me the tickets please! Day on alpine snow vs work, tough choice!!
latest report
Kitenski

lol.... yep your both definitely right... work or snow and beer.. plus the sun is shinning big time..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy