Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier snow

Poster: A snowHead
Carled, it was -21c on the valley floor last night!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
-21c!!!?? Jeepers... that's chilly...

Quick question for you snow boffins... when the sleety/wet snow falls and it's all a bit sludgy and/or windcrusted, can low temps (particularly low temps like -21c!) do anything to improve the state of the snow, or does it just freeze it solid? I'm sure I've seen or heard people wishing for low temps to improve the quality of the (already fallen) snow - or am I imagining it?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carled, I'm no expert on this, but I think the temperatures will change the crystal structure. You can see this happening when it warms up and melts, so I assume something will happen as the temperatures fall.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Next Sunday for me. The current forecast is for freezing level just above the village for this week, some snow on Thursday and Sunday/Monday.

Looks perfect.

Staying at Villeneuve. Any cheap/happy hour drinking to be had immediately after slope time. Any mountain restaurants recommeded for a final vino before descending to the village?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cymru am Byth, Grotte du Yeti in the village, and the Frog. if you're coming down to Villeneuve, Bivouac de Casse before you come down. You can finish your skiing anywhere along the valley though as the skibus runs regularly until around 6pm.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cymru, the Grott Yeti have a happy hour apres ski bottom of the Martaeu. Can't help you with wine as I can't stand the stuff!
Cloudless sky this morning and the wind has dropped temp now +3c.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
First slush of the season encountered today. Only a very small amount at the bottom of Frejus. The rest of the valley is covered in excellant quality snow. Rumour has it that the skiing is going to be extended 2 extra weeks untill the end of April.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We'll be there until 20th i think
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The small top-up last night (5-10cm) was welcombe. All the pistes are in tip top condition this morning.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiing in porridge yesterday afternoon in Monetier with temperature +12c. This morning heavy snow at village level with more forcast all day.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Blimey - topsy-turvy weather or what!?

More than happy to see the snow come down again and keep the levels topped up - noticed it had started to drop a bit (although still 4 to 5 times more than last year!

Temps are due to rocket again by the weekend, aren't they?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Heavy snowfalls during the night and this morning at 1400 and above. Sharp contrast to yesterday's hot sun (+16c). I've never known avalanche control explosions set off in the evening but we had four after 6pm.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen - better get doing the snowdance! I'm relying on your connections with the local weather deities, you know!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled, I won't need the snowdance. There 'll be plenty of snow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carled, Helen Beaumont,
I'm off tomorrow but without internet access probably cannot post a report, according to the website all the x country is open so I'm hoping the rain has not washed too much away and the snow base is stable, enjoy your trips snowHead
snow conditions
Have a good one T Bar. If the x-country is till all open that is good news indeed. t-9 and counting... Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead
snow report
Helen Beaumont, I don't want all this worn-out crud, you know - you promised fresh snow! wink
snow conditions
T Bar, I can see the x country run from my place and it looks good. 1st thing in the morning is best. If you want to meet up to discuss how sad it is that I've supported Man U for 45 years I will be more than happy.
Carled, Helen is right you've got nothing to worry about as there was a heavy fall last night and the conditions are great although temperatures have risen this week and the lower slopes get slushy after midday.
ski holidays
chris, as a man of NE descent, you should be ashamed of yourself. Still you could be a Sunderland supporter I suppose.
Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Sorry Helen, I'm just not a "decent" man!
snow conditions
chris,
Tried the email facility and it didn't work I think so have PM'd you.
snow report
Chris - any idea why they seem to be shutting down so may lifts? Down to 48 of 68 now (still 110 of 115 runs open though...)

Looking at the list they appear to be in the main drag lifts (a good thing!) but I'm surprised at where the lifts are that they're shutting, for example the twin drags combes 1 & 2 at Grand Alpe, along with the Grand Alpe drag itself... is this because the same area is well served by the new Grand Serre 6-seater?

More worryingly (unless it's a short-term tech problem) they've shut down the telecabines Grande alpe 1&2 out of Chantemerle that go up to the Grand Alpe area! Weird... can't be snow conditions as that was open last year with 40cm top and 10cm bottom.

They also seem to have shut down the Clot Gauthier lifts - shame that as there are some nice runs down from that peak... again, can't see that this can be snow conditions given the depths... dammit - just seen they've shut down the bois red run down to Frejus as well! That's not on, I like that run! Get it open for next week pisteurs!

Weather forecast looks good for snow in a couple of days... should be cold enough to fall in resort too. Helen - looks like your magic may work again... snowHead
snow report
carled, it could be simply because the resort in now much quieter, and they do not need the lift capacity. I suspect they may open more over Easter again.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, good point... didn't really think about that!
snow report
Perhaps the bubble to Grand-Alpe is closed for technical reasons. It usually runs to the eend of the season.
#
snow conditions
Don't panic, I went up this and yesterday mornings and the conditions were the best of the season. Most lifts were open (sunday) as it was quite busy but today it was a ghost resort, so there was no need for the telecabons as that area is served by the new (last year) 6 man and a quiet Pylons 4 man chair. Carled, you are right about the drag lifts at the Grand Alpe. No need for them when its quiet.
The pistes were not worth using after 3.30 pm, due to slush.
snow conditions
chris, "quiet Pylons"?? Puzzled
latest report
chris, this line "pistes were not worth using after 3.30 pm, due to slush" is pretty much what we faced all day last year! Trust me - if it's like it looks on the webcams, we're going to be happy, happy bunnies next week!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen,

I see the Prorel part of the ski domain will no longer have a lift operator in two weeks and is threatened with closure.

David
ski holidays
Permanently? Some of the best snow is found there late season.
latest report
if it isn't permanently , this is probably due to the recent decision to extend the season, as the Briancon sector always closes just after Easter.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Permanently? Some of the best snow is found there late season.

apparently so, my guess is the CdA is hoping to take over but on very favourable terms... but that is nothing more than a wild guess based on no facts.
ski holidays
carled, when do you arrive?
latest report
chris, all being well, around 5:30 to 6pm tomorrow! I intend to finish the day in Monetier one day to meet up with Mel and Helen (if she's about) in the bar L'Alpen one happy hour... Possibly Tuesday or Wednesday... depends on how things are going with the group. Will have (hopefully) internet access to will be able to coordinate through that!
ski holidays
carled, still fantastic snow. We go from the bubble lift over the Grott yeti most mornings at 9.30am. Hope to see you while you're here.
snow report
carled, chris, we'll be about from Monday evening, so will definitely try to meet up while we're there. Carled, I don't have my phone line set up yet, but if you email me through SnowHeads I can pick it up from the Alpen.
ski holidays
Just call me the Snow Goddess!!! It is dumoing snow in Serre Chevalier this evening!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Last weeks snow was superb, so with this latest dump it looks like you are all in for a great time this week.

Chris it was great meeting Lyn and yourself last week, hope we make it to Serre Che again next year, certainly planing it at the moment.
snow report
T Bar, likewise with yourself and family and I hope your girls have some success taming the birds in your garden.
More snow last night and this morning but no chance to test it as I had to try out my new chainsaw. Its very cold tonight so the pistes should be in good condition for the mornong. Maybe I'll bump into Carled and Helen B.
latest report
Hello all... very quick message as it's all a bit hectic getting the kids to ski school at the moment. Snow glorious on Monday high up - had a foot or so of fresh powder to play in. Visibility awful on Monday but good on Tuesday. Very windy yesterday but looks nice today. May attempt to get over to Monetier in pm to meet up with Mel and Helen at l'alpen if they're around. See how things go as the day progresses. Will also try and organise meeting up with Chris if possible... all very busy, but the resort is in fantastic condition high up.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy