Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ABS Recall

Poster: A snowHead
By using your carbon cylinder now you could still use your steel one for a real emergency as it's not the first discharge of a potentially faulty steel canister that causes problems. That way chances are that you would only have to deal with this issue at the end of the season. Probably better then risking not having a working bag for the start of the season or at all
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I guess we just need to start seeing the info on turnaround times.
One of my steel cylinders went yesterday - 23 Dec, will try to remember to post when it gets replaced
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PP wrote:
Spoke with ABS hotline this morning: The tech at ABS advised that I test fire it using one of my carbon cylinders and if there are no issues I have no problem.

Thanks PP. That's what I did in October and was kinda hoping it covers things. Saves me a lot of hassle.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@PP, did they mention anything about replacing your carbon cylinder if it tests ok, because that would be by far the easiest way out ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's what I'm worried about, if I can find an outlet that will swap my trigger and cylinder after a test firing then no worries. There should be a few places out in the Amade area, someone already mentioned Schladming.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've just sent this email - though forgot to mention a new trigger !

Rather than send my bag back could I test fire my carbon cylinder I now have (I originally test fired with my steel one) and video it so you know that it is current, and then if all goes well you simply send me a replacement carbon cylinder ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Seeing as internet weirdos love their conspiracy theories, perhaps someone contaminated the steel cylinders after purchasing loads of cheap shares in the firm that produces the carbon ones Shocked wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, no they did not mention anything about replacing the carbon cylinder, but then I didn't ask.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Emailed ABS to ask if I can get just the bag back without a replacement steel canister if none are available by the 9th Jan so I can purchase a carbon canister for my trip. Advised if not already shipped to put a note in the package and this would be fine. Still waiting for a reply if this can still be done as already shipped on 21st Dec.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Out of interest has anyone else been told they need to discharge their steel canister before shipping? I got an email from ABS advising this for shipping. Problem is I want to avoid doing that as I have managed to purchase a carbon cylinder and want to keep my bag from problems with a trip in January I purchased the bag especially for.
I know it hasn't been fired so in my view it's my steel cylinder only that needs to go back.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SnowMac,

If the bag has never been activated then you just need to return the canister. I don't know how you would go about this as the canisters need to be discharged so they are not considered a hazardous package when being shipped. Best to send back after your trip with a discharged steel canister.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How the hell do they send out new cylinders then? Just use a courier.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Test fired both of our ABS bags a week ago.

One went off without a hitch.

My bag deployed internally with one of the airbags ripping all the restraining interior material.

Googled the problem and found that ABS had posted on their website that there is a known problem with both of our bags and website suggests i contact them for a DIY kit to sort out the problem with the velcro not releasing.

A week ago I emailed ABS to complain about the fault and lack of communication but haven't had a reply.

Contacted Snow safe who have offered to replace the damaged bag but have had to revert to ABS about the one that didn't rip itself apart. They have so far been helpful.

I now learn that there is a second recall just been released due to faulty cannisters.

Im unimpressed with ABS.

- they have my email and i registered my bags/serial numbers with them. They have failed to notify me there was are two recalls on my bags

- they suggest a DIY fix on a piece of safety equipment designed to save my life. No doubt transferring all responsibility to myself if my repair failed to be effective

- they cant be bothered to reply to my email registering my concerns

If you haven't tested you ABS bag i would as when the airbag went off internally the bag with strap became so tight i had difficulty in breathing irrespective of whether one correctly deployed airbag is enough to keep you one top.

ABS need to raise their game.

Jonathan Bell
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Jonathan, I too emailed them about a week ago re the current recall and have had no email reply. However their hotline service is very efficient and all three techs I spoke with very helpful.
Ps Agree with you about poor communication re recalls. In fact had it not been for Snowheads and other forums I would not have known
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@PP, I had an email about both ours, so long as you registered it with ABS I'm pretty sure you'd have been sent an email recall.

Don't know if anyone is going to St Anton but Jennwein have ABS approval to do the recalls on their behalf without having to send back to ABS. They will do it overnight.
ski holidays
@Markymark29, got mine some years ago so can't remember if I had but probably not; lesson learned. Did you register yours @Jonathan Bell
I did wonder if they had agents in major centres who could carry out the inspections/ services. Possible places ? Chamonix snell sport ? Sallanche au Vieux Campeur.
latest report
i registered mine with ABS and Snowsafe had all my details.

Struggling to maintain faith in the company but will try the tech line after holiday.
snow conditions
Registered mine with ABS. No email notification, only knew about it because of showerheads.
Disappointed, surely that is the bare minimum we would expect from having registered ( putting the endless marketing to one side)

latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
@PP, I had an email about both ours, so long as you registered it with ABS I'm pretty sure you'd have been sent an email recall.

Don't know if anyone is going to St Anton but Jennwein have ABS approval to do the recalls on their behalf without having to send back to ABS. They will do it overnight.

Im registered but not in receipt of email about either of the two recalls.
ski holidays
Hi, anyone already received airbags after inspection? Or any info on how long it may take to have it returned? I asked via email, but no reply so far. I am a bit reluctant to send it off now as the season has just started Very Happy
latest report
@Chevagi, when I emailed them, they told me they aim to have it with them no longer than 10days, postage either way could take a while with the new year etc. This was last week so I guess it depends how many they now have in!
ski holidays
Thanks to @Markymark29, took my ABS bag into Jennwein in St Anton this afternoon, and they did the check there and then. It took about 10 mins.

I have a metal canister, which they offered to upgrade to carbon for €80. They didn't have any replacement metal canisters. I decided not to bother, and just keep the original. Which I will need arrange to be replaced by ABS at some point in the future. I was told the bag is safe to use. However, if I deploy the bag using the existing canister then the bag will need to be checked again.
snow conditions
@mortonia,
What did they do to check it?
snow report
@mortonia, nice one, did they charge you, I didn't buy mine from them did you?

Did you manage to get out without spending a load of money, it's practically impossible?! Great shop and excellent service!
ski holidays
No charge even though I hadn't bought the bag there.
It certainly is a shop you could spend a great deal of money in.

Not sure exactly what they tested, just said the integrity of the system had been checked.
ski holidays
I just called ABS. Daniel Buss speaks good English and was very helpful.

ABS recognizes that the info on its website is not terribly user-friendly and is working to come up with better options for customers, but had to get something up there very quickly in order to comply with German law.

My next ski holiday is likely to be early March, so they advised me to call back in a couple of weeks. They plan to have more service centres open in major resorts soon, particularly in Austria and Switzerland, and suggested that my best option would likely be to take my pack to one of those at the beginning of my holiday. I suggested that they might also consider opening a service centre or two in the UK for those who are planning to travel to resorts that don't have service centres. If others phone them and make the same request that might encourage them Smile

Hope this is useful.
snow conditions
so.... bought an ABS vario in December delivered to UK.
Didn't read this thread.
Decided to buy an activation unit in France rather than risk bother at airport
Bought a steel one in St Gervais on 30th Dec planning to do a test fire but haven't yet
Now wondering what the fill date is on the cylinder... It's out in France so can't check.
Suppose the logical thing would be to buy a carbon cylinder
latest report
I sent my ABS bag back around about 20th Dec, along with a friend's bag. Bags sent from Austria. Friend's bag returned today with new canister. My bag hasn't come back yet though I completed the online application a day or two later, but both bags posted same day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Update.. my bag arrived today though it's not my bag, different serial number and colour? No enclosed note explaining if they deliberately replaced the bag or it was sent by mistake. anyone else received a bag back yet?
snow report
@waynos, Bloody hell, that is not on. For one thing you don't know the history of the bag. I'd be after some compensation right off, probably push for a new bag if this turns out to be someone else's.
snow conditions
This is text from their website but contains info that should really have been included in the email and at least repeated in the website instructions for each country:

"For customers from Norway: For our customers in Norway: Our Service Partner 7 Blåner (phone+47 72 40 31 00) is taking care of the returned products from the recall action. After your registration you will receive a dispatch label via E-Mail as soon as possible. With this label you can drop off the package at every Norwegian post office free of charge. We will make every effort to check and exchange everything as quickly as possible.
Please make sure to mark your backpack with all necessary contact information. (((( request not made in email but stuck a label inside anyway ))))
"At the moment we estimate that the process time will take up to four weeks. (((( info not given in email )))

"Customers from Finland, UK and Sweden: Please activate your backpack with your steel cartridge (((( info not given in email - I didn't spot this and sent mine full, assuming they had a special deal with Parcelforce; nevertheless they got it this morning, but no acknowledgement yet )))) and return your backpack with ABS System together with the empty steel cartridge via the mentioned DHL label. The empty cartridge is not considered as a dangerous good and can therefore be forwarded by DHL. The refilling charges are to our expenses."

"If only your steel cartridge needs to be exchanged please contact our customer service under info@abs-airbag.com."
snow report
Ok just come off the phone from the "hotline"as I never had a response to my email

And we're going to test and video three bags deploying.

If there are no issues we send the carbon cylinders back and they replace the cyclinders.

Obviously if we have a failure then the bag goes back and what's the betting that's the cue for a huge dump!
snow conditions
@waynos, Good to hear that you got your/a bag back already. I sent mine off around the same time (22nd Dec) so hopefully it should be arriving back soon. However now a little worried as I did not mark my bag with "all necessary contact info" as I was rushing to get it off before I was away for Christmas.
snow report
I emailed ABS to ask that they sort directly with Jennwein in St Anton, so when we go end January they can do it on ABS behalf, no way i'm sending ours off if they cant even send you your own back!!
snow report
Yup, I'm just looking to take mine into a shop with a stock of carbon cylinders, do a test fire with mine and swap.
snow report
@Scarpa, we were saying surely that's the best way to go on this. Go to authorised ABS dealer, do a test fire in the shop, if it works they give you a new cylinder (ABS issue shop a credit note), if not the bag gets sent back.

I've been to the local shop here and they're going to oblige in me using them as a mailing address for the cylinders, in fact I'm going to suggest after firing we buy the cylinders, and then when we eventually get the new ones, shop refunds us etc
snow conditions
Sent mine on 22nd December. I've ended up renting one in Val Thorens at a cost of 148 Euros for the week. Sent 2 emails without reply and had no joy calling the helpline. Tel no was unavailable every time. Does anyone think I'll have any chance of getting the rental fee back from ABS? (Not holding my breath)
snow report
Ok three of us doing a test fire in front of the cam at 16:00 today 15:00 UK time http://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
ski holidays
Here you go, two out of two successful.

Though OH's trigger was fecked, almost that it was the one from the original test fire, we just can't work that out ??

http://youtube.com/v/tZhiKXThUE8
latest report
@Weathercam, if the trigger had already been used the red disk woukd have gone and the pin woukd have been longer.

We test ours every season, I understand that swarf may be present inside the airbags and this is the reason for the recall. I fail to see how testing the airbag will show this up, the problem could manifest itself anytime in future surely?!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy