Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI L3 MOUNTAIN SAFETY : SCOTLAND ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Would anyone be interested in trying to organise a BASI mountain safety course in Scotland next winter ?
This is the off-piste course for L3, but can also be used as stand alone module with L2 (details below).

3 or 4 people today expressed interest on post made by Aaron Huges on a BASI facebook group.
Sensible option seemed to be cross-posting here as well to fish for interest.

I spoke to the BASI office about this previously and they said it *might* be possible if a group of 6 or 12 could be found (with obvious caveat that Scottish courses can only run if the snow / weather gods allow).
If you are interested then post up here and also send me a PM with your details (name, email, BASI number, location).
I will compile a list of interested members and see if BASI can be persuaded to make it happen.

NOTE : Having BASI L2 is a pre-requisite for the mountain safety module.

http://whttp://www.basi.org.uk/content/alpine-level-3-mountain-safety-course.aspx
https://www.facebook.com/groups/basiprivate/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's great course, one of the most enjoyable and interesting that I've done with BASI. The focus is very much on group leadership, and introduction to snowpack understanding, intro to touring, navigation, weather, avalanche search and rescue. Obviously you need to be able to ski off-piste, but not to an extremely high standard so you shouldn't be too worried your skiing might hold you back. On my L3 MS we didn't ski anything steeper than high 30 degree slopes, nothing too steep and narrow, and a few slightly exposed traverses. If you've done your L2 and are thinking about what next, this is a great course to do even if you have no plans to complete all of the L3 modules.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Rob - I am looking forward to doing it! (wherever it may be)
IMHO it is one of the L3 modules that is perfectly suited to running in Scotland (the touring here is often better than the piste skiing!)
It seems from the facebook chat <etc> that there is demand / potential interest.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If the MS course I did was anything to go by, I can't see what it couldn't be run at somewhere like Glencoe and it would be a tempting proposition.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yes well up for this !!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If it's run in Glen Coe you could use the @Haggis_Trap, for crevasse rescue training. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Would be great to see this course run up North.

I know of a few who'd also like to attend L3 Tech/Teach courses in Scotland if they ran. According to the BASI product manager's presentation in Tux this spring the Tech/Teach courses need sufficient numbers for 2 groups for an additional venue to be considered.

I wonder when the last L3 or L4 snow based course ran at home? SSS still run alpine race coach 2 on Cairngorm.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ Couldn't agree more.
IMHO the L3/L4 teaching courses could certainly be run in Scotland.
I think BASI are keen to run more course in Scotland - though it is obviously something of a business risk for them.

Since I did my L2 (way back in 2002) there haven't been any courses at L3/L4 level in Scotland, apart from the coaching modules.
Up until the mid 1990s I think virtually all BASI courses run on Cairngorm ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Haggis_Trap, aren't the common theory courses run at Glenmore Lodge. Joking apart notwithstanding the snow conditions which could be judged closer to the day, with the facilities and staff at GL it should work OK.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
^ fair point - I did that last summer Embarassed

Scottish course are obviously more prone to weather cancellation / poor snow.
Though for a number of BASI members Aviemore is going to be cheaper than Zermatt.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jeess can you imagine if you just happen to be the only Sasanach on a course up there and the conversation turns to politics rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^ you started it Wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Haggis_Trap, nice bump from me but given that this got bounced by BASI I'm looking at booking the Mountain Safety this winter in Europe
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^ yip - it was a good idea, and lots of people were keen.
however for various reasons the idea got "bounced".
drop me a pm if you want to talk about the reasons - to be fair BASI did spend time considering the suggestion.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy