Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
just back in from the gym to watch the Lauberhorn. Cancelled in Wengen due to too much snow and high winds. Good for my trip in just over a week. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@twoodwar, ditto for me. Very selfish I know but.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
great news overall for avid readers of these posts though esaw1
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fresh snow over the last week

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The cold snap caught out this fox yesterday!

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Strange looking fox.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@davidof, @zzz, looks like that fox is straight out of Minecraft! snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Surely nobody could resist asking if Damien Hirst has been out there skiing recently?

Or, Foxes glacier mints go for extreme advertising?

Or, if Red Bull did foxes glacier mints to the extreme?

Or, if Carlsberg did glacier mints?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As a Leicester fan, I hope this isn't an omen before our game against Chelsea later!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ian66, as another Leicester fan, I agree Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zzz wrote:
Strange looking fox.

I agree, looks more like a wild boar
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
more Fox like in this link

https://twitter.com/amauryguibert/status/819856372204470272/photo/1

#foxontherocks

https://twitter.com/hashtag/foxontherocks?src=hash
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SLF on recent snowfall in Switzerland.

"Observed weather on Saturday, 14.1.2017

In central Ticino and Sotto Ceneri, it was quite sunny. In other regions of Switzerland skies were heavily overcast accompanied by snowfall down to low lying areas. On the northern flank of the Alps the snowfall was intermittently intensive.

Fresh snow

Between Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon, the following amounts of fresh fallen snow were registered:

- North of an imaginary Rhine-Rhone line, as well as in the Prättigau: 30 to 60 cm; in the Glarner and Urner Alps as much as 80 cm

- Southern Lower Valais, southern Gotthard region, remaining parts of northern and central Grisons, Engadine north of the Inn: 15 to 30 cm;

- Further to the south, only a few centimeters; or else, it remained dry.

Thus, overall since the beginning of this period of precipitation on Thursday evening, the following amounts of fresh fallen snow have been registered above approximately 1800 m:

- Lower Valais, regions north of an imaginary Rhine-Rhone line, Prättigau: 50 to 100 cm; in the Urner and Glarner Alps, more from place to place;

- Southern part of Upper Valais not including Saas Fee and not including the southern Simplon region, southern Gotthard region, remaining parts of northern Grisons: 30 to 50 cm;

- Remaining regions of Switzerland: 15 to 30 cm; in Sotto Ceneri and the southern valleys of Grisons, only a few centimeters.

Temperature

At midday at 2000 m, -10 °C.

Wind

Winds were blowing at moderate to strong velocity, intermittently blowing at storm strength, from the northwest.

Weather forecast through Sunday, 15.1.2017

In northern regions, skies are expected to remain heavily overcast. Following a tranquil interim in the ongoing precipation during the night, light snowfall will again set in during the daytime. On the southern flank of the Alps it will be sunny by and large. In the Valais, in central Grisons and in the Engadine, intermittent bright intervals will be evident.

Fresh snow

Between Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon:

- Western part of the Bernese Alps, central and eastern sectors of the northern flank of the Alps, northern Grisons: 10 to 25 cm;

- Remaining parts of the western sector of the northern flank of the Alps: 5 to 10 cm;

- Remaining regions of Switzerland, only a few centimeters; on the southern flank of the Alps it will remain dry."
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As mentioned in another thread, the central and southern tip of Italy, near Sicily, got battered the past week.

This is central Italy, not far from Rome:

http://youtube.com/v/PUrtmgrmiKY
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
YEEEEWW today was fun!

Was still dry at midnight last night, but woke up this morning to around 5-10cms of snow in Innsbruck (this is the first winter in a while where so much snow has really been sticking around in the city at 600m). Drove west, and scored pretty nicely Very Happy

Turns out Michi can work the other end of a lens too (he's normally the guy filming the Legs of Steel):

Not a fake turn either, but the real deal. Even being conservative it's safe to say there was a good 40-50cm of new snow in the trees today.
ski holidays
Looks like a nice and well needed top up in the north west, but what's the next week or two looking like doing??
snow conditions
Cool slabby vid from Whistler, Canada, a few days ago.

Saved by his airbag.

http://youtube.com/v/oW_DQNGqQKM
snow report
Some 49 of 50 US states currently have snow.

Epic season.

Only Florida is snowfree.

http://www.9news.com/weather/snow-is-on-the-ground-in-49-of-50-states/384365514
snow report
Should be some terrific weather next week as things settle down. Cold, sunny and in many places plenty of fresh snow.

Following week is obviously too far out but this evenings 18z plays with some options for snowfall before the month is out.
snow report
@clarky999, nice.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
@clarky999, nice.

+1
latest report
With that recent snowfall Radstadt (near Ski Amade) has now had above average precipitation for the last 30 days.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/global_monitoring/precipitation/sn11147_30.gif
ski holidays
It was bitter cold on the hill in Aosta yesterday. Bring your warmest clothes if you're heading out.
snow report
Possible El Niño by April according to current modelling from NASA and UKMO.
snow conditions
I have put my electric socks on to charge. snowHead
ski holidays
This from LWD Tirol (my bold).
https://lawine.tirol.gv.at/en/home/bulletin/

The avalanche situation in Tirol’s backcountry touring regions remains treacherous: the danger level is considerable widespread, in the areas of heaviest recent precipitation also high. That includes the Silvretta, Arlberg/Ausserfern and regions along the Northern Alps, where avalanches can also trigger spontaneously and sweep away the entire snowpack down to layers at ground level. Thus, avalanches are capable of reaching medium size and in isolated cases endangering exposed transportation routes. The major peril for skiers and freeriders lies in the fresh and older snowdrift accumulations. Due to low temperatures, they are brittle and can be triggered even by minimum additional loading. In isolated cases, mountaineers can also be endangered by loose-snow avalanches. Danger zones occur on steep slopes in all aspects. Both frequency and spread of the avalanche prone locations increase with ascending altitude. Skiing and freeriding tours in outlying terrain currently make experience in assessing the dangers on-site imperative. Backcountry tours are limited.
ski holidays
Quote:

@Jellybeans1000
Possible El Niño by April according to current modelling from NASA and UKMO.

What does this mean? A dry March and warmer temp's?
ski holidays
@FrediKanoute, very little.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any info on the last 2 weeks of January?
latest report
There is a more settled outlook in the coming week as high pressure asserts itself. It will be very cold at times, but increasingly sunny.

Next weekend there is a low pressure system expected in the Mediterranean. Depending on where this ends up it could bring fresh snow to the southern side of the Alps.

After that and with low confidence GFS is playing with the idea of a more Atlantic outlook.
snow report
I'd say we had 80 cms - that's outside my apartment, south facing at 1550m in the Beaufortain. snowHead seems more when you're out there with a shovel....
ski holidays
It will be, every 3m x 4m patch will be 1000kg of snow to move...
snow report
pam w wrote:
I'd say we had 80 cms - that's outside my apartment, south facing at 1550m in the Beaufortain. snowHead seems more when you're out there with a shovel....

Reminds me of the Bellevista on a certain Birthday Bash. snowHead
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

ski holidays
pam w wrote:

Oops, sticky finger. snowHead
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, Is it looking alarmingly warm and Föhnichlich in the north and east from next weekend on ZAMG/Bergfex?
snow conditions
@robboj, According to ECM a slack pressure gradient might be the saving grace there. That and the fact that it's a bit far off for reliability.
snow report
@esaw1, I'll take those threads and cling on!
ski holidays
@robboj, I'm off in ten days so I'm clinging on too!
latest report
The second half of January for the Alps will be volatile.

A few days of cold, followed by hot, followed by cold again.

Season 2016 / 17 so far:

Nov = snowyish;
Dec = very dry;
Jan = mixed.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy