Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
Half a metre and still falling in Les Saisies. snowHead

Looking good in Les Saisies.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GFS now forecasting heavy snow for round here on Mon and Tue.

I like.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But ECMWF is less optimistic I think?
I have the option of a week in Obertauern or a surf trip in sunnier climes for 11-18 March. Keen for the former but only if there'll be a significant covering of fresh, so I'd be grateful for the thoughts of the gurus on what weather is likely in the next 10 days or so for the Eastern Alps, before I decide which flights to book. Looks even more uncertain than normal at the moment beyond a couple of days out.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 1-03-17 16:32; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowheads68 wrote:
GFS now forecasting heavy snow for round here on Mon and Tue.

I like.
Friday and Saturday ie a bit sooner, would suit me better. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
30 - 45cm of yesterday's fresh in abundance in courmayeur today, pole sank all the way in on some steep tree runs. Moderately heavy, better in the trees. Spitting snow from 2pm but not sure if much will accumulate. Mountain open to 2200 again, wind for last 100m of lifts otherwise fine. Tracked out very quickly, a lot of fat skis and chamionards around. But still fun to be had in forests and with a guide. Top lifts haven't opened and will be great when they do.

Not sure where freezing level was but resort run a slush fest so maybe 1600.

Will this run of snow over next period be a game changer in the alps or is freezing level too high for the lower resorts? A lot of happy reports coming in online. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@8611, freezing level too high I fear for lower resorts without existing solid pistes.

That said as far as the French ar concerned, the season is over at the weekend anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, what do you mean the season is over? Just interested.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bennyboy1, I think he means that the French don't ski so much after the Feb/Mar hols finish. They leave the best part of the season to us Brits.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GFS gives a very snowy period from Saturday to next Thursday.
60-70cm across much of the Alps
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snoozeboy, precisement.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GFS is also going crazy around in FI (read 300+ hour) - March 16th in the latest 12Z run... and assemblies seems to back up the control run... We shall see...

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 1-03-17 21:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lower resorts doing fine adjacent to me anyway. Going to skive off tomorrow morning to catch some local freshies. Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Been snowing all through the night early hours here in Serre, though temps are +1.5 about 10cm and should me more higher up.

Zero viz as well

Just spoke to guide mate in La Grave who is going up to do the commission to determine if the lift should open.

If not plan is to go touring, which is a bit of a scruple as I'd rather stay here then and ski the trees.

And going to be fun (not) driving over the Lautaret.

Have two cams running - this is the static cam that shows the viz factor
http://www.stylealtitude.com/staticwebcam.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In Valloire (just over the Col de Galibier from La Grave) I can see the adjacent peaks at 2500m from the valley floor. Only a hint of snow.

Last day of the season for me.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowforecast.com (via SCGB website) showing 291cm over the next 9 days for Tignes. This must be a new record for them. Yes I can see 60-70 over the weekend and into Monday, beyond that not a lot - any ideas?????????

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 2-03-17 9:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Les Contamines seems to have had 1 metre in 3 days at mid mountain with more in the forecast. I arrive tomorrow. Very Happy
Slight downer is warm front fcast tomorrow but still...
ski holidays
@jedster, It is raining hard at 1300m in the Val d'Arly, looks to be rain up to 1500m but I'm not going up to check.
ski holidays
Forecast snow amounts for the weekend now greatly reduced for Eastern Austria and the Dolomites according to latest GFS run. France still looking good for more heavy snow
snow report
jimmybog wrote:
Forecast snow amounts for the weekend now greatly reduced for Eastern Austria and the Dolomites according to latest GFS run. France still looking good for more heavy snow

Yeah - Bergfex (ECM-based) downgraded their forecast a couple of days ago. Still showing a useful top-up for Alta Badia on Saturday though, plus the snowline has come down quite a bit.

TBH - I'd prefer this to a "snowmageddon" event on our Sunday transfer day!
latest report
Quote:

@jedster, It is raining hard at 1300m in the Val d'Arly, looks to be rain up to 1500m but I'm not going up to check.

webcams in Les C suggest similar I think - v soggy in valley
ski holidays
Snowfall very wet, heavy and soggy below ~2000m in the western Alps.

Plenty of snow has fallen, but not great quality.
ski holidays
@Whitegold, how do you know?
latest report
Seems allright to me above 1500m. And there's loads of it!
snow report
@under a new name, he's clairvoyant. Remember "it will snow somewhere in the Alps in the next 4 weeks"? Remarkable, 100% accuracy.
ski holidays
Basically a lot of snow on the way.
snow report
Noza does that apply to austria too?
latest report
Quote:

Basically a lot of snow on the way.

Brilliant. All the details we need really. Very Happy

It seems we only need charts, long range forecasts, ensembles, Nina - Nino discussions and other such crystal ball gazing when there's not enough of the white stuff around.
snow conditions
Maersk wrote:
Noza does that apply to austria too?

Looks like it.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As soon as the snow arrives, the avalanches follow. Three killed and 5 injured near Courmayeur today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4275350/Three-skiers-killed-five-injured-Italian-Alps.html
snow report

Further good snowfall for the Alps and Pyrenees over the next week and then out in FI the spell round 11/12 March looks like it could bring further fresh snow to the northern Alps and colder temperatures. Certainly one to watch.

The Arlberg

Chamonix

Cairngorm

Sestriere

Eastern Pyrenees

Cold start this morning in Ski Amade though warming up in the sunshine. Very pleasant.
snow conditions
Jeez some of the comments at the bottom of that daily mail piece are grossly ignorant & insensitive. Assuming that the skiers were not wearing avalanche gear (unlikely imho), saying that it was the leader's or guide's fault (not necessarily at all), 'time to close these resorts down'?, etc,etc,etc

My thoughts are with the relatives of those killed or seriously injured, and those who were caught by & survived the slide.
That could have happened to any of us.

There's a very dodgy depth hoar layer in the snowpack this year, (ref: weathercams '....9 lives' post in off piste)
Ski safely folks!! Sad
latest report
Had to drive down to Albertville today. South facing slopes below about 1400m, where I was walking earlier in the week are shedding the soggy snow which fell on warm grass over the last few days - several minor slips across the road. Everything was slushy round my place at 1550m but it's a clear night and temps are dropping.
snow conditions
A pretty warm day or two coming up before a return to cooler weather (which may be with us for a while bar a warm up next weekend). Snowfall will be heavy particularly in parts of the west where it will arrive tomorrow, with the snow line dropping into the evening.
ski holidays
This is such good news. I was getting very worried with our holiday being booked in mid April. Thanks so much for all the updates, all.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen, thank you. The perfect post to cheer us all up.
Concise, minimum of specifics, optimistic. Excellent.
(though chap complaining on Radio 4 this morning that the weather forecast was too short and too general for his bit of Buckinghamshire wouldn't be happy rolling eyes )
ski holidays
How do you read these GFS charts? Is the green line the one to watch?
snow conditions
Looks as though mid March is going to see the best conditions of the season in the northern French alps - where today is the last day of the French school holidays. Low season starts tomorrow!
ski holidays
ZAMG have issued storm warnings for Austria tomorrow. Winds of 70-120kmh gusting up to 160kmh in the mountains!! Das wird heftig indeed. Could be disruptive (let's face it, will be disruptive). Similar problems elsewhere in Alps too.

http://www.zamg.ac.at/cms/de/wetter/news/am-samstag-heftiger-foehnsturm-auf-den-bergen-orkan
latest report
Going to La tania on the 12th of March for two weeks, looking good!

Anyone around that fancies a ski or 10? Out with the family but i'll get a pass to get out and do some skiing with Adults!!

Very Happy
latest report
GFS forecasting a cold and snowy 11th-18th for round here. Been like that for a few runs now.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy