Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
tarrantd wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:

Of course the price of items go up, that's normal. With it salaries increase.

My salary has more than doubled since then (not taking into account investments, bonuses, rental property etc)

My ski holidays certainly haven't doubled...... Toofy Grin

But your situation is NOT the norm. For most people salaries have been rising at 2%pa or less since 2009 so salaries have risen by more like 20% and probably none of the extra's you list. Prices have been rising at more like 3%pa or around 30% more since 2009 so most people have less to spend in real terms on their ski holiday which is probably costing a lot more regardless of Brexit and currency fluctuations!

Granted, but as you state holidays MAY be costing more due to inflation etc, but on in commodities. Actually holiday costs where you can negotiate / choose to self build rather than go package can be a lot cheaper. I've not paid a penny more for holidays for years, not because I go without on holiday, but because I set a budget and haggle on accom costs, to leave me with the same disposable.

As for salaries, whilst not really being on topic, it's an open market out there and if you are the type of person that can sell themselves or have worked hard to elevate themselves there is no need to hang around for the tiny annual pay rises.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@PaulC1984, Wrong topic and wrong forum but remember that not everyone works in a sector where moving jobs is easy, try working in the public sector for instance or find yourself at the age where your application is rejected despite your experience and qualifications!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tarrantd wrote:
@PaulC1984, Wrong topic and wrong forum but remember that not everyone works in a sector where moving jobs is easy, try working in the public sector for instance or find yourself at the age where your application is rejected despite your experience and qualifications!

It's is indeed the wrong topic etc, but it was in response to previous comments about cost and wage growth.

I don't wish to sound like I'm on an ivory tower, but life is about choices. Actions have consequences. Educations choices followed by job choices are indeed just that. People choose (on the whole part) a path in life and should their choice lead to a job that doesn't provide the salary they desire they have 2 choices.

Anyways, back on topic Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@PaulC1984, Sorry, it is a very simple view on a society you have. I think is a bit more complex than that, and that is why you still live in a upstairs downstairs society over there and many poor people. Puzzled

Now you may get back on topic. Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@tarrantd, Happy Birthday Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It is indeed rather more complex than that I agree. I don't however come from a well off background, I've worked extremely hard for what I have, but the fact remain life is all about choices whether that be holidays, work, lifestyle etc.

Some like to drink or smoke until their early 30s, I worked my bum off and went without so many luxuries people have. I made sacrifices then to enjoy my life now, other do it the other way around, again choices.

Look at many of the people in positions now who are an absolute inspiration to other who despite all their hardships, disabilities, abuse, financial disifucties, social impacts - one thing they all have in common is they chose to change and chose to work hard for what they want. Others choose not to.

Society is indeed complex, but the ability to work hard despite anything that's thrown at you is ultimately a choice and one which is rewarded (with holidays to get back on topic Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hyst, thank you Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone from the UK who says ski vacations (all in trip) are not increasing on a like for like vacation are fooling themselves....

I mean really fooling themselves..........

Of course you can adjust your budget ; however taking a ski vacation in Bulgaria, Turkey or Czech Republic is no comparison to taking a ski vacation in Austria or France.

It is like saying I could once afford to drive a Mercedes but now drive a Skoda.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stanton, I've been to Italy for 4 years running, same hotel, same food, etc and not a penny difference. That's not fooling myself that's fact.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stanton, You should test drive a new Skoda.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mercedes is the German word for taxi
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:
Anyone from the UK who says ski vacations (all in trip) are not increasing on a like for like vacation are fooling themselves....

Of course you can adjust your budget ; however taking a ski vacation in Bulgaria, Turkey or Czech Republic is no comparison to taking a ski vacation in Austria or France.

It is like saying I could once afford to drive a Mercedes but now drive a Skoda.

Bulgaria ski prices are rising (its doubled in the last 4 years according to people I know who own property in the resorts) - nothing to do with exchange rates, but the increases in minimum wages.
The minimum wage is now triple to what average wages was when they joined the EU in 2007.

Went to Bulgaria last year Cost was £700
Off to France this year & cost is £750
£50 more we getting a resort 4 times the size & better accommodation.
Oh & we have no breakfast included!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton wrote:

Once again you post nothing but OPINION!

My ski holidays in the season 2017/2018 cost no more than previous seasons, and certainly cheaper than my last trip to Val d'Isere a few years back.

I'm currently looking at 3 trips this season, Italy at Xmas, St Anton at Easter, Lech in February. Flights and car hire are cheaper than last season, hotels are still holding out for high season prices at the moment so I'll wait till nearer the time and still have choice by being flexible on dates, resort, 4*/5* hotels.

On top of these I may just sneak in a couple of mid-week/weekend breaks. The BIG point is that my BUDGET rarely changes despite exchange rates. By factoring in ALL the aspects of skiing I still maintain that fluctuations in the value of GBP only stop me having that extra beer/vodka/Aperol/Shampoo each day.

QED, The hotel Die Krone von Lech misses out on my extra couple of drinks...……………….. their loss. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whatever happens the exchange rate will floor at some point and Brexit, in whatever form, will be complete.

Will stanton start a thread "Next Season is going to be lot cheaper!"? I think not.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Q2: this thread was started summer 2016 and was about the 16/17 ski season. Why is it still being discussed? Is each season getting progressively more expensive?

Q3: On what measure is it getting expensive? If it it's purely on exchange rates, then it's easy surely. You just have to look at the average exchange rate over the period of the ski season for each season. As anyone done that? If another measure should be used, what is it and how is it calculated?
latest report
Layne wrote:
Q2: this thread was started summer 2016 and was about the 16/17 ski season. Why is it still being discussed? Is each season getting progressively more expensive?

Q3: On what measure is it getting expensive? If it it's purely on exchange rates, then it's easy surely. You just have to look at the average exchange rate over the period of the ski season for each season. As anyone done that? If another measure should be used, what is it and how is it calculated?

I posted them yesterdayon the previous page
ski holidays
tarrantd wrote:

But your situation is NOT the norm. For most people salaries have been rising at 2%pa or less since 2009 so salaries have risen by more like 20% and probably none of the extra's you list. Prices have been rising at more like 3%pa or around 30% more since 2009 so most people have less to spend in real terms on their ski holiday which is probably costing a lot more regardless of Brexit and currency fluctuations!

If you earned £25k in 2009, then you now earn £30k
If you spent £1500 on your ski holiday, then you now spend £1950
Your still over £4k better off.

I bet a lot of people do earn a lot more than they did 9 or 10 years ago. Guess it depends on age, development, career progression/changing jobs, etc.
Im sure if you look back, you can find a gap of 10 years where you salary doubled. I was earning 5 times at the end of my twenties compared to what I was earning at the beginning of my twenties & about 50% more during my 30s.
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
Layne wrote:

I posted them yesterdayon the previous page

Yeah, I saw that - it was a fixed point mid-season rather than an average over the season. However, by that simplistic but very measureable definition:

From 2009 through 2012 it got a bit cheaper.
More expensive in 2013
Cheaper in 2014, really cheap in 2015
Then more expensive again 2016 and 2017

Average over the period was 1.19

Thread closed?
snow conditions
Am I the only one surprised, that given her sources in high up places, our Mystic Meg failed to predict the bounce in Sterling yesterday.
snow report
Bounce? 0.7% increase after about double that in falls over the previous 3 weeks Laughing
snow conditions
err, on Thursday 9th Aug £1 = €1.0923, exchange rate is now £1 = €1.11415. (source "live" exchange rate and graphs on XE.com) NehNeh

I know it has fallen generally over the last few months but we are talking only a few cents here or there. A good while back I bought a last minute package deal holiday in Euros and paid less Euros than the price in sterling. It's not that bad now, and I don't really see parity happening unless there's a really major screw up.
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
If you earned £25k in 2009, then you now earn £30k
If you spent £1500 on your ski holiday, then you now spend £1950
Your still over £4k better off.

Sorry but that's rubbish.
If I earned £25K and spent £20k on general living then I had £5k to spend on luxuries like holidays. Now I'd earn £30k but my living costs would now be £26k and my luxuries budget is only £4k. The problem is that those same luxuries would now cost me £6.5k so something has to give. No way am I £4k better off!

It's reasonable to assume that most people who ski are in the top 20% of earners in the UK i.e. they earn over £30k pa (after tax). (NB the top 7%, about 4.3m individuals only take home just over £38k after tax according to the IFS). If you are lucky enough to be in the group that can consider those income levels paltry then good for you but don't assume that everyone is in your group.
ski holidays
The pound was at €1.125 only 3 weeks ago. It had a short term loss by about 3 pence then the other day went up a smaller amount and the papers called it "Pound Soars".

Look at the graphs here....

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=1M
ski holidays
@tarrantd,

Precisely...You forget

@Mr.Egg,

Only has Cisco Qualifications which they teach in High Schools now....it is like a basic diploma ..makeaxypu feel good Very Happy
snow report
stanton wrote:
@tarrantd,

Precisely...You forget

@Mr.Egg,

Only has Cisco Qualifications which they teach in High Schools now....it is like a basic diploma ..makeaxypu feel good Very Happy

I didn't think you rated qualifications Stantit - or have you changed your mind again Very Happy
snow report
@tarrantd,

Not everything is more expensive.
My mortgage is 1/2 of what it was 10yrs ago thanks to the base rate.
latest report
@stanton,

Actually, Got more than my couple of cisco certs (plus i never done the update exams, so prob now obselete).

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 30-08-18 20:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@martinm,

He’s a roma gypsy
Explains his travelling between germany, netherlands & germany.
Probably lays dodgy tarmac driveways, jetwash wheeliebins & steals the electric wires that keep the trains running
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Average wage rises have been below inflation for about ten years now (BoE). So all other things being equal the average employee has less disposable income now than they did then. When I attended a BoE Regional Briefing at the end of last year, they were saying that wage rises should be about 4%-4½% given inflation and other metrics, but were way down at 1.2%. An HR Director next to me said "Don't tell my staff that!" which seemed to me to say a lot about Directors salaries vs those of the Minions.
ski holidays
@LaForet,

I think the majority of people dont get pay rises inline with inflation anyway.
Especially those who work for small businesses, etc.

Also, Personal Allowance in 2009 was around £6500, today its £11850
Thats an extra £1000 in the workers pocket in tax savings.
snow conditions
martinm wrote:
stanton wrote:
@tarrantd,

Precisely...You forget

@Mr.Egg,

I didn't think you rated qualifications Stantit - or have you changed your mind again Very Happy

They are a waste of time if you know what you are doing. They are for insecure people who cannot find work...
snow report
On the subject of rates.
in the building game, majority of trades are working for prices stuck in the 80s.
Yes almost 40 years ago!!
one of the biggest employers in the UK is construction so something can't be right.
added we are all now self employed so those rates cover sick pay, holiday pay, stamps etc.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
martinm wrote:
stanton wrote:
@tarrantd,

Precisely...You forget

@Mr.Egg,

They are a waste of time if you know what you are doing. They are for insecure people who cannot find work...

I trust you'll take your advice next time you need any medical attention and go to someone without any qualifications.... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@stanton,

Me me me

Ive no medical qualification but would happily fund my own travel should you ever require a tooth extraction or liver transplant Toofy Grin
snow conditions
The results of his recent brain surgery are clear to see.
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:
@stanton,

Me me me

Ive no medical qualification but would happily fund my own travel should you ever require a tooth extraction or liver transplant Toofy Grin

Regulated Trades/Professions/Businesses is something else....
latest report
PaulC1984 wrote:
@stanton,

Me me me

Regulated Trades/Professions/Businesses is something else....and in the EU a lot more trades are regulated !!!
snow report
Breaking...

Sterling set for fifth straight monthly drop on Brexit nerves
snow report
Having our own little trollboy @stanton around is rather like keeping a pet - visitors think it is cute; it amuses you with its antics; you get upset but forgive it when it $hits on the carpet: "Bless, it knows no better".

And when it eventually dies you are sad, but then go and get another.
ski holidays
Arctic Roll wrote:
Having our own little trollboy @stanton around is rather like keeping a pet -

And when it eventually dies you are sad, but then go and get another.

You rang m'lud?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy