Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2016 - 2017

Poster: A snowHead
I see a little bit of the white stuff is appearing on the forecasts. Lets hope happens!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Better than that b*****d sun icon all the time!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sitting in grey overcast Milton Keynes and all I can see is the friggin sun on webcams - snow gad damm you Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowcrazy

You mentioned getting a list together of English speaking instructors. I'll be looking for private lessons end Jan/feb. Do you have any names?
Thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can anyone recommend a ski shop in Arc 2000 or Arc 1950 for ski servicing/waxing?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dsmart wrote:
@snowcrazy

You mentioned getting a list together of English speaking instructors. I'll be looking for private lessons end Jan/feb. Do you have any names?
Thanks

JP at AIM Ski School is a nice guy and a great instructor. Tell him Rob from Inside Out Skiing recommended him and you might get a small discount. If JP isn't available try John Thomas at New Generation Ski School in Vallandry.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar

Thanks
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[@snowymum, Equilibres is the place the owners go. There a couple of post about it somewhere.
Sorry I can the more specific, am on a dodgy wifi down in Bourg and a tablet so not easy to search for you!

So skied the 2000 bowl this afternoon sun was out, blues skies temp was chilly, so snow conditions really very nice. Downside is there's not a lot of choice. Tuffes is closed, but you've got the other three off Arcabulle, plus Arandlieres and all the joining bits, oh and A Rouge but it's not a lot.Fortunately not a lot of people either.

Trying La Ros or Tignes tomorrow - the advantage of being based in the valley for this long weekend!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Arctic Roll, Thanks so much for the info. I will look that shop up. Will look forward to reading your Tignes and La Rosiere snow reports.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Snowymum , see below for details*

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=128204&highlight=

Meanwhile, here's what I meant by 'empty piste ' from top of Arcabulle towards Grand Col
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowymum wrote:
Can anyone recommend a ski shop in Arc 2000 or Arc 1950 for ski servicing/waxing?

Julian at the Intersport by the ice rink in Arc 2000 is good, I only normally put mine in if I need a full base grind though, edges wax and minor repairs I do myself.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Arctic Roll, looks a bit steep Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Boris, hoho. I'll see if I can get the photos rotated before posting next time. ..

Similar Weather today sunny but cold. Went to la Ros: our first time in 13 years of visiting Les Arcs. Windy -locals say this is normal. 60% open, Inc. Tuille which was brilliant fun, with good snow. Covered about 50km, saw about 50 people. This my friends, is the time to visit! I admit, once, there was someone else on the same lift as us... that's not same chair, that's entire length of every lift. wink

And Italian hot chocolate. OMG. Liquid gold. Never want a french one again. (Bar du Lac, next to Piccolo San Bernardo Express, just after the connecting poma ).

Some of La Ros had been through freeze thaw, and was icy even in afternoon , but even that wasn't too bad. Runs reminded me of La Plagne , was just a great day out. Chapeau to the pisteurs who have done a magnificent job getting the resorts open.

Tomorrow we battle the traffic to Tignes with all the Xmas arrivals...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arctic Roll, We went over to La Rosiere a couple easters ago and like you enjoyed it. With the exception of the beginners pistes the pistes were almost all deserted. All the pistes, including some marked as black were relatively gentle and bashed smooth. It felt very much like Italian skiing. The run down to La Thuile was fun - do you follow the piste markers or the road signs? The only busy parts were the resaurants, which were packed

I really enjoyed it and vowed to go over every year. Yet somehow never managed it. Sadly it looks as if we will not even make it to Les Arcs this season.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The big day is almost upon us. The Christmas week begins tomorrow. UPDATE! Photos now posted in the December 2016 Album of my Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!

Am back in Les Arcs now so managed a tour around the whole area, even a little off piste before heading home. I am pleased to report that Les Arcs have made a big effort to open as many pistes and fun areas as possible for the coming holiday period. Well done to Les Arcs for all the work in getting the ski area ready.

Here is a review of the whole area.

In Arc 1600 area, the Cachette Race piste is being well used, today they had a FIS ranking event. The lower Cachette red is also open and OK to ski to the bottom. The Blue Arpette piste is open and in good condition to return from Arc 1800 to the Funi for those wanting an easier ski down. The Cachette Chair has been repaired and they hope to have it running this weekend.

The Snow Park is open and the small jumps and rails are open. (see photos.) The jump at the Altiport is also open.

In Arc 1800 all the pistes with snow canons are now open plus the Mille8 beginner area and the Race area down to the bottom of the Vagere chair. The main race course in Arc 1800 is closed, but with most other pistes opening this weekend, the Arc 1800 area has plenty to offer on piste.

In Arc 2000/1950 area all higher runs should be opening during the weekend and the Skicross and Sledge course are also now open. The piste down from the Glacier should also be opening until the bottom of the Droset chair. Perhaps lower if possible. The lower Vallee d'arc piste will remain closed. Also the Bois de l'ours piste.

Villaroger will remain closed for the moment.

In Peisey Vallandry the main snow canon supported pistes should hopefully all be opening during the weekend. The higher beginner area is open and the Grizzly Chair will also be opening. You can ski down both the red and blue pistes to the Vanoise Express which is also hopefully opening this weekend.

Across the whole ski area you are advised to only ski on the open pistes. I would agree with this if you do not want to end up on the grass and rocks. All the pistes across the whole ski area are firm and by the afternoons become very polished with some very icy patches around the snow canons so take care and always ski or board under control as stopping quickly can be very difficult.

The Off piste high on the Aiguille Rouge is ok and even fun in places with hard chalky snow in some couloirs now. Just take care with the rocks in some places. Lower down the snow is very mixed and re-frozen so not much fun unless you like your whole body to bounce around on the crude! Yuk!

My conclusion! For those coming out during the next week you will have plenty of places 'On Piste' to ski as long as they can keep making snow on the lower pistes. For 'Off Piste' riders it is more limited.

Hope you all have a fun Christmas Week. I will post the photos later tonight. Time to go out!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 17-12-16 0:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
So basically fine for most competent on piste skiers who will not mind skiing on busy slopes! Pretty 'c**p' for those amongst us that like peace and quiet and wonderful fluffy snow, or anyone who likes to venture further afield! rolling eyes Laughing Remind me where the good swimming pool centres/spas are please! Laughing

That being said Xmas/New Year has always been iffy! I remember plenty of times Xmas/New Years past when snow was not good. Indeed my first experience of skiing ever was over the New Year in 197? something in Austria, much was closed. At least these days there are snow cannons, but then again I don`t enjoy skiing on that kind of snow!

I think it must be the scenery and the ambience that keeps me returning to the Alps

Shocked Laughing
latest report
UPDATE. Photos now posted. See link below!

Saturday 17 December. This morning we went for a fast ski across Les Arcs to the Vanoise Express and onto the La Plagne side. After some delays with broken lifts we made it to Bellecote La Plagne. Then onto Plagne Centre and finally Montalbert.

On the way back we went to the top of the Funiplagne from Plagne Centre and then down to Champagny before heading back to the Vanoise Express and home via the Border Cross course in Arc 2000.

Many pistes are now open. Most lifts are also now running. Take a look at the photos in the Dec 2016 Album to see what conditions are like right now on the La Plagne side of the Paradiski area,

Photos will follow later tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1199376913472106

@CaravanSkier, It is not that bad, but you do need to be under control as I saw quite a few crashes today because people were going to fast.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 18-12-16 0:11; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@CaravanSkier, et al

Chose the 1600/1800/peisey face over Tignes today, figuring there's always tomorrow. Saw more people on the funi platform than we'd seen previous 2 days combined.

Compared to the 2000valley it is poor fare. OK, not so bad as to wish to be back in the UK. .. but almost all artficial, all on strips 20ft wide, and inhabited by muppets. They've closed the Mont Blanc run ( but not the lift). They've opened the black Bosses run: it's simply a marketing exercise, with a vertical strip of bashed snow top to bottom. If you're not here, don't wish you were.

Would post photos of the meadows if I knew how to rotate them! ( see above...)

Saying that the runs off Clocheret are probably the best I've known them. Good quality snow, and being as it's a slow lift, quiet.

Blanche Muree has gone downhill shame used to love that stop. Ah well, things move on.
And to top it all I've been used as a crash mat by some inconsiderate french teenager going too fast on too little snow with too many people and am nursing bruised /twisted knee and ankle, hoping I can a) ski and b) drive tmrw.

Not the best day then...
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, Sorry to hear you were taken out. You should have come with us over to La Plagne. We are going over that way again tomorrow if you fancy joining us. Will be on 9.20 Funi. Over that side away from the main areas there were still only a few people around on most pistes we used.

I have been in Espace Killy and Three Valleys in past few weeks and do not think conditions on lower slopes in the Paradiski are any worse than in either of these places. Higher up the other two areas have more runs, but the higher runs in Les Arcs are also OK.

Overall considering the snow around conditions are better than last year and there are plenty of places to ski even if it is on artificial snow. If you are coming out for the holidays it should be OK. Even the Border Cross in Arc 2000 is open now and they are building more jumps and rail things in the snow park. The Air bag at the Altiport is also open so the youngsters should have fun! Very Happy

Photos from today now posted. Use this link. https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1199376913472106
ski holidays
@snowcrazy, won't be able to ski today. Only got through the night after a couple of hours of pain, then getting a large helping of Ibuprofen. So while it hides the pain I don't want to mask any undelying problems that I might make worse, especially When there's a whole winter still ahead!

But you guys have fun.
snow report
@Arctic Roll, sorry to hear that. At least it's not waist deep powder everywhere! Playing the long game with injuries is sensible, plenty of more time this winter to ski.
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, @rob@rar, sorry to hear about both of you! Have been hit more than once myself in past few years - is it an increasing problem??
snow report
@kapt, not sure if it's an increasing problem, although I do think that when snow conditions are like they will be this holiday season (increasingly polished snow, fewer open pistes than normal, narrower pistes than normal, blue sky) contribute to conditions that make collisions more likely. I see too many skiers who are barely in control in these kinds of conditions, with not enough people changing their behaviour to take account of hard-packed and polished snow. You either need to ski better or slower, but too many ski in high-speed zig-zags, throwing their skis sideways and then hoping they'll find a patch of softer snow to control their speed on or change direction.
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, Sorry to hear of your accident - hope you feel better soon.Remember to ice the knee regularly wink
ski holidays
Quite a surprise when I opened the curtains this morning: snow! Just a dusting, but at least it's turning the place white. Very light snow continues to fall at 8am, and it's currently -5 degrees at 1800m. I doubt it will make any difference to the skiing, but it's nice to see the ground below 2000m turn white.
snow report
@rob@rar, This is good news
ski holidays
@genepi, thanks.Looks like it may be recoverable - feels now just like severe brusing.

Spent the day catching up with friends in 1950 and we are now at Geneva airport waiting on the last flight of the day. Snow wind and very cold in Les arcs today, so not too many regrets about 'rest'decision! Snow line was below 1600 on the road home, but not too much evidence of winter in the valley. Albeit freeing fog towards Chambery made for pretty trees.

Anyone going to 1950, the new TV channels are up and working, with better info about lifts, pistes and conditions, available before you go out.
snow conditions
So all the indications of snow this weekend have gone and sunshine forecast all week Confused Ok there's skiing but can't say I'm not disappointed that our one week is not going to be as good as hoped
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Boris, We all want snow for Xmas week BUT i would rather clear skies that closed lifts and whiteouts. Careful what you wish for.
snow conditions
Well it would appear that the Snow Gods have turned into Snow Grinch this year. Hey ho, at least looking at the current forecast we shall get a sun tan Cool
snow report
chrisrawles wrote:
@Boris, We all want snow for Xmas week BUT i would rather clear skies that closed lifts and whiteouts. Careful what you wish for.

I think the Aggy Rouge and Glacier have been shut all week because of high winds, lots of pistes are closed because of lack of snow and there is absolutely no off piste so a whiteout would be preferable! At least you know afterwards it will be a much better situation.
snow report
Hi all,
I am ready to take the plunge and buy a pair of ski boots. Having done a bit of research I'm facing the dilemma of whether to buy in the UK or in resort as there appear to be significant advantages/disadvantages to both. Just wondering what the options for getting boots fitted are like in Les Arcs? Alternatively I can buy here in the North West.
Thanks.
ski holidays
@chrisrawles, I'd much rather be skiing knee seep powder in trees above Vallandry on balance
snow report
@biff and bash, I have done both and sadly cannot say which was best. I spent much longer in the shop in the UK and the boots fit well. In Les Arcs the shop (one of many in Arc 1800) was much busier and I was only in the shop an hour. I was told to ski the next day in them to compress the foam a bit and then the next evening they heat moulded them to my feet. The boots I bought in Les Arcs are slightly too short so my toe nails are sore after a few days in them. I find that most ski boots these days are made on a very wide last and trying to get them to fit often leeds me to get a pair that are on the small side. Apart from this I couldn't tell you which pair I am wearing.

The pair I bought in Les Arcs were cheeper. If I was buying another pair in Les Arcs I would actually go to the Intersport in Bourg st Maurice
snow conditions
thanks @johnE, decided to head to Rivington Alpine having heard good things.
snow report
Still mostly blue sky and pistes that are becoming hard and polished in places. Hope it snows soon although nothing much in the latest forecasts.
ski holidays
I see a lot of grass on the Les Arcs 1800 webcam!
I'm coming over to Les Arcs on 21st January....at what point do I hit the panic button?!?

Have they started shutting sectors off yet?

Fingers crossed for some positive updates soon!
latest report
HTL wrote:
I see a lot of grass on the Les Arcs 1800 webcam!
I'm coming over to Les Arcs on 21st January....at what point do I hit the panic button?!?

Have they started shutting sectors off yet?

Fingers crossed for some positive updates soon!

If the panic button allows you to cancel everything and get your money back then you have a decision to make, otherwise relax, naff all you can do about it. 21st is a long, long way away yet.
snow conditions
I've just booked. Roll on tomorrow Laughing
snow report
Just arrived at the chalet in Bourg. Beautiful day, cold and crisp. The snow line looking up is 2000m, but there are ribbons of white running lower than that. Won't be skiing today just getting my gear later then out on the slopes tomorrow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy