Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
@dye, We're told that Pre La Joux & Linga will open on Saturday 17th. But they said that about the 3rd & 10th as well. Where I am just down the valley it's 10c and my washing is drying nicely outside.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Matt1959 , not ideal...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blowing in Les Gets at 7 this morning and probably most of the morning, nearly all cannons blowing in Avoriaz this morning. Very few cars at Ardent, Escapade there opening on Friday. I am on my older skis. Sun out again. It was down to minus 5 overnight in Les Gets. We are currently sitting out on out terrace having lunch, when the sun disappears behind a cloud it's a bit chilly otherwise just in a top and trousers.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks... i took a look at the bus timetables on morzinenet but it only had the summer - didn't know if it was differant in the winter.. it's going to snow on the 19th anyhow!! snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dye, I don't know, it was quite a big wash.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://medias.morzine-avoriaz.com/documents/documentation/documentation-29NAVETTE-FR.pdf

Winter timetable..
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pamski - is the ardent bubble open? Am in Morzine at the weekend and just wondering whether to do Ardent or Prodains as we are staying down by the Mairie so pretty easy for both.

Many thanks..
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ardent running as far as I'm aware. As is navette
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ardent is running

http://www.avoriaz.com/en/all-about-skiing/operating-lifts[url][/url]
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snow makers running in La Chapelle D'Abondance for the nursery slopes at Cret Beni. They are down at 1,000m.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@p20pjd, yes we have been using the Ardent bubble since Saturday. So far there is nothing open in the goat village although there was an umbrella up at La Terrace when we came down at 12! Café owners are able to drive up the road to the goat village and a distinct lack of snow on the road running through it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks.. sounds like they've done a good job even opening some of the pistes up there..! Surprised that abrocotine isn't open though as it tops out at the highest point, perhaps they can't risk people dropping down into crosets and getting stuck or what other reason could there be.?

At least the lift pass will be cheaper by only getting a local one (more spend for tartiflette and vin chaud) every cloud.!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@p20pjd, quite a lot of work going on on the Abricotine. They were working on the Mossettes lift on the French side today. And that incredibly slow lift out of Lindarets was being tested. I think I saw that a daily pass at Ardent was 22 euros today. A six day one was 129 euros at the weekend.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @pamski. Ah yes the long slow lift, know exactly the one you mean, takes forever ! 'lecheres' or something like that.!

Would be good to get abrocotine running as that's a nice long run to get the legs going.

Got my fingers crossed Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mont Chery open for bikes this weekend. They did this last year too...
ski holidays
p20pjd wrote:
@pamski - is the ardent bubble open? Am in Morzine at the weekend and just wondering whether to do Ardent or Prodains as we are staying down by the Mairie so pretty easy for both.

Many thanks..

As others have said the Ardent Bubble is running.

This interactive map is a good link to see which runs are lifts are open on a daily basis....
http://live.skiplan.com/moduleweb/pds.php?module=webcams?module=webcams
latest report
Thanks for all these updates, if all else fails we'll do some walking and ice skating...
snow conditions
Sorry to jump in on this string...
We are heading to Les Gets on 24th Dec and have been following the weather thread with interest! We are a a family of 5 boarders with (3 newish and 2 slightly more experienced). Any suggestions of where we should head if Les Gets doesn't have many runs open? We have heard Avoriaz is good - will it be mega busy? Any thoughts on Flaine? We have a car so can drive but would prefer not too far.
Thanks all!
snow report
@Sarahmac0,

As you have a car you're probably in a pretty good position (relatively). Looking at the Flaine thread their conditions are not great at the moment and would likely change (for better or worse) the same as Les Gets and Avoriaz. Therefore in the worst case scenario a drive to either Prodains or Ardent would be sensible but as you say it's likely to be busy on piste and maybe in the car parks?!

Still possible for things to change for the better before the 24th Dec though. If it does then it would be worth trying Les Gets, Avoriaz and the main connected ski area, as well as St. Jean d'Aulps. Praz de Lys also nice and close but not on the Portes du Soleil ski pass.

Unfortunately buses from Les Gets to Avoriaz areas would not be great and charge for part of the route (2 buses required - 1 payable). Not ideal if you're a family with kids having to make this journey for ski school every day like some others on here.
ski holidays
Just drive to Prodains each day and ride up in Avoriaz. The snow is nice and it wont be that busy at the beginning of the week. Parking is fine as long as you don't get there too late.
As you approach New Year it will be super busy, so hopefully it will snow at some point to spread out the crowds into all the lower resorts.
Try Les Gets as well if they have some runs open, although it's likely to be quite limited. All depends on how much snow they are able to make before xmas.
snow conditions
Based on the last two years in the PdS at Christmas and New Year, as @doddsie says, drive to Prodains and ski in Avoriaz and across to Switzerland, if the links are open.

Book your PdS pass via the Avoriaz website so you are guaranteed for it to be valid because in the past the Les Gets lift company have cancelled all PdS passes which they have sold if they aren't opening in Les Gets. This will mean you will have to activate the pass at Prodains or Ardent.

It is very busy on the pistes as there isn't anywhere else to ski so everyone piles up there (including Swiss resorts), so go early in the day, lunch early or late, so that you can ski when everyone else is lunching, and watch out for the ice! Oh and other people being bonkers on crowded pistes.

Be reconciled to canning it early, if conditions are really not great. If you have your own boards, consider leaving them at home and renting to avoid damage by poor piste condition. DH's Fire Arrows nearly ended up in the bin after having an edge ripped out last year.

This may sound a bit bleak, but remember you will be on holiday in the beautiful mountains and you will be skiing/boarding! Can't really be unhappy with that.
ski holidays
@Wrekingirl, I'll echo these comments.

We went last year between xmas and new year in Morzine. Got the bus to Prodaine every day and then came down by Ardent as it was less crowded for the return bus - the bus queue from Prodaine was really long.

We would ski until around 2pm, lunch until after 3pm and then dropped down to the bus.
snow report
If it doesn't snow (very likely not to) there will be little or no skiing in Les Gets or Switzerland. No links to open between the two. I'd be surprised if there is enough snow to open anywhere except Avoriaz. Expect huge crowds. Sorry, but that is how it will be. Two years ago they limited the number of lift passes sold. Might be worth you booking on line early?
snow report
Is it too early to start worrying about conditions in mid January? Looking at the Weather Outlook thread isn't filling me with much confidence Sad
ski holidays
SkiTsar wrote:
Is it too early to start worrying about conditions in mid January?Sad

Yes, ridiculously early to be worrying about it rolling eyes
snow report
Indications are it will be sub zero 19th-22nd and ESF LG have been telling clients that enough runs will be open for lessons. For those needing more Avoriaz is the only option within 20mins. One glimmer of hope is the latest GFS run (12z) is showing snow down to 1600m for 22-23 Dec but it's just one model run, and much too far away to get excited about.
snow report
Yesterday afternoon, Chatel Tourism updated its website and says Pre la Joux is partially opening on Saturday:
"
Due to the snow conditions, the resort will be partially open from 17th December 2016, as follows:
Châtel ski area:
Pré-la-Joux/Combes section:
Pré-la-Joux, Pierre-Longue, Chaux des Rosées, Rochassons, Cornebois and Combes chairlifts.
Keysets skilift.
The carpet.
Link with Avoriaz.
Linga section:
The Pitchoune"
latest report
If its anything like last year its going to be unpleasant.

The only hope is that a lot of people did not book after the last two years, but the big dump in November probably got a lot of people excited and then they booked so............

Oh well there is always alcohol Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@langball, Les Gets will always open something, even if it's just the nursery slope by the conveyor belt at Chavannes, just to say they were open at Xmas 😩
1600m? Not much above that in Les Gets or Morzine. Fingers crossed.
As for Jan. Too early to say.
latest report
@gordonrussell76, exactly what I did..! Booked this weekend in Morzine but even if we get a bit of skiing in combined with plenty of beer it will be a successful short trip.

Actually looks like more will be open from Saturday than I expected looking at Greg webcams.
snow report
*the webcams.. not sure who Greg is.
snow report
Never ever look at the Gregcam Smile
latest report
I'd look at the Gregcam - I'm reckless I am
snow report
Eww, just googled Greg cam.. not pretty.!
snow report
@zzz, yeah not worth mentioning really, but those cm's are the first figures to show up in a long time. It would make a big difference though if it happened.
snow report
The Mossettes link is open this weekend, with down loading and uploading from Les Crosets. We have the blues run into Les Crosets open from the cable car and the mountain bike tracks open u der the cable car back to Champéry. It means we can get into France at last and venture a little further afield. One run has become a little tedious. The lift company have worked really hard to get the piste in Shape and so far it's been very good, although scrubby at the sides.

This weekend will see a lot of People arriving and guessing the piste will then deteriorate rapidly. There will be an inevitable exodus over to Avoriaz which will result in flooded pistes there too.
snow report
Does anyone know the difference between Heavy snow (but with no depth given) and the '1cm new snow' later in the week on the J2ski forecast? I'd have thought that heavy snow is a better thing than snow showers? (she says desperately hoping for some snow given that we get a taxi to the airport at 5am tomorrow...)

https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Les_Gets_snow.html
snow conditions
My OH was up around Lindarets for a bit this morning. It was very quiet, work still going on on the Abricotine run. But once the Mossettes lift opens at the weekend there will be the bods coming over from Switzerland. I am off games at the moment as I had a bit of a tumble yesterday on the corner just before the straight run back into Lindarets . Bang on the head, apparently a very nice ESF instructor stopped and checked my legs, back etc as OH had put up his crossed skis as we were on the bend. I only remember getting back to the gondola. He said the snow on that corner had been a bit improved and flattened out today.

We went round to Chery Nord at lunchtime, all very green there except really shady bits.
ski holidays
Oh dear @pamski, hope the head gets better soon..!

@cambskier, good news that the massettes link will be open, an assuming at least 1 run down to crosets will be open from the French side.? That will open up the kms available a fair bit as will the chaux fleurie link which is also opening I understand.

As an aside, I really can't lose as they are opening the Mont Chery for VTT so am taking my biking stuff too so can ski and mountain bike on the same holiday which will be brilliant for me, just need to convince the Mrs to get on a bike now..!
ski holidays
Hmm I think the one run into crosets will be offset by all the swiss side coming over to ski Linderets and Avoriaz, oh well share and share alike, but I think its probably a net loss.

Glad that Plaine Dranse will be open if Avoriaz, Linderets and Plaine Dranse are all open that will improve things no end. Although if it anything like last year it might all turn icy pretty quick I took a 20 metre ar*e slide last year on Coombes piste. I am normally okay on ice, but I hit this one and went down and just went like the clappers. Partly as I was deliberately not self arresting at that point as I was going so fast a caught edge would have probably resulted in a done knee.

Be careful out there people.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy