Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
cambskier wrote:
Does anyone know the difference between Heavy snow (but with no depth given) and the '1cm new snow' later in the week on the J2ski forecast? I'd have thought that heavy snow is a better thing than snow showers? (she says desperately hoping for some snow given that we get a taxi to the airport at 5am tomorrow...)

https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Les_Gets_snow.html

Forecasting services like J2ski and snowforecast take the GFS or ECM forecast models, disregard the level of certainty and then add arbitrary pictures or depths of snow. The good thing is that they're easy to understand. The problem is that weather forecasting is more complicated than that.

From what I understand, weather forecasting works on computer simulations based on previous data to work out the probable outcomes in the future. The simulations are run 4x daily and will have different runs with slight variations in the inputted data. If the variations converge and the same forecast is made successively over several runs, one could say that the forecast would have a high degree of certainty. Forecasts like J2ski et al will snapshot the main run without any consideration of the variations or whether that forecast was repeated so you don't know the degree of certainty. They're pretty useless, in my view, but especially when we have a blocking high pressure, like we have now. Everyone knows it must leave, nobody can tell when and this is reflected in the lack of certainty in the forecasts outside of that it won't move quickly.

In answer to your question, I'm afraid I don't think heavy snow will arrive in Les Gets before the end of next week. I hope I'm wrong, but I can see on the charts the "error" that J2ski has picked up on and chances are that if you look at J2ski tomorrow, it will have changed its mind. I think we might get a cm, which won't make enough of a difference. What will make a difference will be that it's likely to get a little colder between 18th and 20th, which will allow the snowmaking to work, albeit possibly only for a short period.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nothing new open today but most runs skiing reasonably (though the red in the Fornet bowls just isn't worth doing).

Advice to our chalet host for next week's guests was "If (your guests) have pre-booked passes cancel them and buy when they get here (because they won't get a refund even if the day rate is cheaper)".

Not much consolation but not just the PdS that's short on snow. We had junior racers from Chamonix up in Avoriaz to practice today.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mjit, which TO are you with?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gordonrussell76 wrote:
Mjit,... severe base abuse from start of season 2 seasons ago is exactly why I bought a pair of old bangers off ebay last season to keep my nice ski's in good nick.

Thankfully the guys in Hubert Sport were able to make a passable repair though"Eet will be more, ow you say fragile?". Which I see as a reason to buy some new skis in the end of the season sales as my new best skis.

Well it's the logical solution in my head...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mikeycharlton wrote:

Not sure they class as a TO but HOFNAR.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mjit wrote:
mikeycharlton wrote:

Cheers. Just wondered which company it was that wasn't offering the refund.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mikeycharlton wrote:
Mjit wrote:
mikeycharlton wrote:

Cheers. Just wondered which company it was that wasn't offering the refund.

No, that was the lift company saying that if a guest had bought/topped up their own lift pass online then the guest wouldn't (or at least easily) get a refund from the lift company, so the guest would be better off cancelling their pre-booked pass and just buying the "whatever's open" pass at the bottom gondola.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mjit, oh right I see. Sorry I completely misunderstood.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@p20pjd, thank you so much! mind you at my age rattling the brain about a bit might get rid of some of the unnecessary claptrap therein and free up space for new stuff!

On the Mt Chery side of Les Gets the Pointe chairlift will be open for walkers along with the gondola. Now to find out when La Grande Ourse will open. The red egg and the Croix chairlift will be open on the Chavannes side.

We have just been to opening night of La Grande Laniere the restaurant and bar at the bottom of the Vorosses piste in La Turche. All been redone inside since last year and a new terrace outside. A useful place for coffee, lunch or a drink in addition to La Paika.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Video below from Les Gets and info of whats opening from this weekend. (I think!?)

http://youtube.com/v/tjpefeHMctk
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice little video, says there will be 2 pistes open, mixture of old and artificial snow, no doubt just the runs down from the top of Chavannes express. Will be up there this weekend for a look. On the north side, Mont Chery will only be open for mountain biking. Great to see them using more initiative and making the most of it.

Still a few cm's on the charts for the 25th down to low levels this time for those feeling optimistic
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone around Champery who can advise what on piste conditions are like? Was thinking of heading over for a cheeky slide tomorrow am given that they describe the link to avoriaz as open....but i imagine its combat skiing all the way back?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We walked up around the Chavannes area in Les Gets this afternoon. I did take a photo but it looks very sad. The piste 64 is going to be open so there is a bit of a track at the bottom back to the Croix lift, and then there were a couple of lorries shifting snow from somewhere in the Indian village area to form the bit around the magic carpet just by the Yeti café. Otherwise a bit icy in places and quite muddy. But the Croix Blanche will be open, and by the looks of it also the Yeti and Grand Cry cafes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avoriaz have been working really hard on snow making over the last couple of days and trucking it around to open more up.

From the looks of it the track through town from the Linderts side to the top of the Rodains lift will open tomorrow.

A day pass for tomorrow should be €30 so guessing a 5 day pass about €150 (was €22.50/day €120/5 day).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Run down from top to bottom of Prodains now fully bashed apparently so will hopefully open.

Chatel may open up too (though less evidence for that rumor).
snow report
Quote:

Chatel may open up too (though less evidence for that rumor).

http://info.chatel.com/opening-dates-and-hours.html

Due to the snow conditions, the resort will be partially open from 17th December 2016, as follows:
Châtel ski area:
Pré-la-Joux/Combes section:
Pré-la-Joux, Pierre-Longue, Chaux des Rosées, Rochassons, Cornebois and Combes chairlifts.
Keysets skilift.
The carpet.
Link with Avoriaz.
Linga section:
The Pitchoune
Super-Châtel / Barbossine section:
Super-Châtel gondola for pedestrians and mountainbikers.

From Monday 19th December the Petit-Châtel and Morclan chairlifts will be open only for pedestrians.
latest report
We have been up and running for a week now, here is a realistic report from one of our instructors Scott.

http://pds-academy.co.uk/blog/when-life-gives-you-snow-canons-make-em-snow/
ski holidays
coddlesangers wrote:
Anyone around Champery who can advise what on piste conditions are like? Was thinking of heading over for a cheeky slide tomorrow am given that they describe the link to avoriaz as open....but i imagine its combat skiing all the way back?

The blue run is open to Les Crosets and that's about it. Snow is a mix of artificial and natural, it's generally ok. Link via Mossetes is open from today to France too.
snow report
The Mossettes is for upload and download as now snow on the run back to Les Crosets.
snow conditions
Tks!
snow report
Hi Guys, looking at the Les Gets webcams it is really difficult to see what the run down from Chavannes looks like, anyone local got a pic (is that allowed?) also, it looks like there is a reasonable amount of work has been done on the run down to the village (not sure what it is called) but that isn't open yet. Do you think they will be prepping more runs and aim to open them next weekend? I have a vested interest as we arrive next Saturday!
snow report
@Sarahmac0, my photo I took of the Chavannes yesterday afternoon is much like the webcam. They were working hard to there to get the learners bit covered in snow. No chance of skiing down to the village at the moment. We are here till Friday morning do will update. PM me if you like with an e mail address, don't out on here, and I can send you photos if I take more
ski holidays
@Pamski, Thanks! bit of a dullard - how do I PM you on here?! I would love an update. We are thinking that Avoriaz is going to be our back up plan - along with everyone else!! Any insider tips for where to park (we have car) and what runs are good for boarders would be fantastic. Really want don't want to arrive without a plan. Thanks everso!
latest report
@Sarahmac0,
click on the + sign to the right of @Pamski's, name and it gives you the option to PM
snow conditions
Go to the top of the page and click on Send/Read Messages.
Oh I didn't know about the plus sign bit!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 17-12-16 11:51; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Doh! Thanks guys Very Happy
ski holidays
"piste 64" as named after the winter when they built it.....the one with no snow Shocked
latest report
A good read here on the current situation.....

http://www.morzinesourcemagazine.com/the-snow-situation/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well we arrived in Morzine yesterday and spent a couple of hours up in Avoriaz from 2pm.

What they have managed to do up there is pretty incredible given the lack of snow and there are quite a few runs open (more than I expected). Inevitably there were some icy patches in the shade and I managed to do an impressive slide, what seemed like half of the way down the chaux fleurie blue late on in the day after my edges decided go awol.

Heading up there for some morning skiing today so will get to see if there's much difference between AM /PM, guessing it will be similar to spring conditions (hard and icy first thing but without turning to slush).
snow report
Some Chatel slopes opened yesterday and I'm there again on the 31st, so any reports on how the Linga & Pre La Joux slopes were?
snow report
p20pjd wrote:
Inevitably there were some icy patches in the shade and I managed to do an impressive slide, what seemed like half of the way down the chaux fleurie blue late on in the day after my edges decided go awol.

Yea, we hit that too. I managed to stay upright, though with little style and stopped behind the slow banner. I moved to the side sharpish after a glance up the slope and the line of beginners heading my way! Comedy carnage ensued.

p20pjd wrote:
Heading up there for some morning skiing today so will get to see if there's much difference between AM /PM, guessing it will be similar to spring conditions (hard and icy first thing but without turning to slush).

Conditions have been best in the morning/early afternoon all week. Skiing well till all the snow gets pushed off to reveal ice (or worse rocks) in a few places. The run down from chaux fleurie would probably have been fine yesterday if they hadn't put the 'slow' banner out, forcing everyone in to two narrow channels.
snow report
@p20pjd, @Mjit, my OH who was up there yesterday agrees with your comments, almost saying the same before I read it out. We have been up there all week on the Avoriaz side and think the mornings definitely better.

Back to Les Gets - He has just got back from an hour on the Chavannes. Using 64! There is also a small extra piste to join halfway down 64 going from the top of the Belle Mouille, which is of course closed. There appeared to be a few classes gathering, and all the cafes open or opening.
latest report
Is the Chatel - Avoriaz link likely to be open?
ski holidays
@dye, yes, it is, that is why there is talk above of the Chaux Fleurie. I am afraid I dont know the name of the pistes running back to Lindarets, after 17 years I should, but the chair that forms the link is the Chaux Fleurie.
ski holidays
@Pamski if you or your OH saw someone skiing about with a polar bear on their head during last week, that was me.
snow conditions
Some shots from today, they've done well to make one decent run out of what's there.

snow report
I skied Chatel on Saturday. Almost all the upper pistes were open on the Pre La Joux side and were in great shape considering. Bonus that it was relatively quiet too (the Aparthotel that I'm next to reported only 30% occupancy for this week but should be close to full over Xmas). Didn't ski yesterday but Chatelweb reporting the pistes had become harder and icier:

http://chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_report.php

I think I'll stick to hiking over the next weekend and until the snow comes as don't really see much fun in skiing on packed and limited pistes.
latest report
@langball, Wow - looks good! That's the top of Chavannes isn't it? Will they open more runs this weekend do you think? We have a dilemma, our son fell at the snow centre yesterday and fractured his wrist!! Back to hosp on Weds, hoping they can put a mega cast on his arm and we can still come - is that a crazy idea?!
snow conditions
@Sarahmac0, it's only crazy if you expect him to be okay to ski.
snow conditions
Avoriaz was great this morning but expected to ski over to Crosets however the runs down are closed so skiing Châtel today instead and it's great.. more hard and lumpy than sheet ice like some of the runs in avoriaz but plenty open (except Linga). Plain dranse area and pre la Joux all open so plenty to go at.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy