Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
From the webcams it looks like the weather is rolling in. Let's hope the few cms that are forecast turn out to be more like 50cm. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tordi wrote:
From the webcams it looks like the weather is rolling in. Let's hope the few cms that are forecast turn out to be more like 50cm. snowHead

This please^^^
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, and the blue down to ardent is also open (to my surprise) as we took the bubble down and watched people ski all the way to the bottom which was quite annoying.!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tordi wrote:

I fear unlikely. There was a dusting overnight and a few flakes this morning, under a blue sky funnily enough. Maybe the same overnight, a wee 10 or 15cm for Avoriaz would be nice but seems optimistic
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi all, new to the forum & to Les Gets, we arrive next week and will be hoping for some fresh fall..but if not, I take there is still plenty of beginners runs(the wife is a newbie)? we have pre-booked morning lessons with ski-passes - hopefully we haven't wasted a deposit! Any advice for anyone new to the area?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
madmick wrote:
Hi all, new to the forum & to Les Gets, we arrive next week and will be hoping for some fresh fall..but if not, I take there is still plenty of beginners runs(the wife is a newbie)? we have pre-booked morning lessons with ski-passes - hopefully we haven't wasted a deposit! Any advice for anyone new to the area?

Welcome to snowHeads @madmick snowHead
As far as I'm aware, Les Gets is still very limited; a few runs open, nothing back to the village, a mix of old and artificial snow. I'm sure this week they will be trying to get more up and running. However if the situation remains as it is, do not expect 'plenty'
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@madmick, If the Les Gets area is fully closed still (hopefully not) see if you can get your lessons moved over to Avoriaz as there's plenty open up there.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sarahmac0

With a fractured wrist he will be able to get there meaning that you can still have your holiday. I would think very carefully about letting him ski, whilst a cast will protect him during normal activities another fall, especially if conditions are icy (meaning fall more likely and harder impact when it does happen) he could do more serious damage to the wrist.

If he absolutely has to ski, and I can see why it would be hard on him, then wait at least 3-5 days. Usually a fracture, especially in a youngun will have actually mostly knit after that time, but it will still be weak and prone to further fracture. Basically its a bad idea, but a few more days will lower the risks.

I am not a docter, but I have had a fair few fractures in my time. They will survive fairly well, I remember I had a fractured bone in my hand and I beat an older kid at table tennis with my off hand and he was not happy and proceeded to smash my cast to pieces (with my hand in it) and apart from it hurting like hell, it did not re-fracture. Ah the good old days before Twitter abuse.

Up to you really.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Sarahmac0, You best check your insurance as well as i am not sure they will be keen to cover your lad to ski with a fresh fracture and a cast? Could prove to be very costly for both your boy and your wallet if he were to take a tumble and cause further damage.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are in Les Gets and at present there are only 2 runs open, both short blues off the top of the chair lift at the top of the main bubble. There's much more going on in Avoriaz, though main runs lower down are getting slushy/icy. Got over to Chatel today and it's pretty good there, runs are relatively fresh and not so busy as Avoriaz.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the info guys. E-mailed ESF to get our lessons hopefully moved. Still got fingers crossed for a good dump this weekend though snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just returned from a short trip to Morzine and as @cambskier says, the best conditions are in Avoriaz and Châtel. There's a surprising amount open and was extremely quiet this week so we had a great time.

Xmas week will be different and I'd probably suggest the following as it's going to get pretty busy.!

- ski as early as you can as the best conditions by far are early on

- even as a relative beginner who is just comfortable with blues get a PDS pass to enable skiing in Chatel as Avoriaz will be crazy busy.

- The prodains bus (marked A) and queues for it will be packed. Although it was quiet this week, the bus was still rammed so can only imagine next week. instead, walk down to the Mairie or wherever is nearest stop for the Ardent / Montriond bus (marked M) as I suspect this will be far quieter and the lift probably won't be as busy as prodains and get the earliest bus you can, even if you wait at the bubble for a short time.

- if you do prodains, ski down the first part of Crot and get the grande combes lift up rather than waiting at stade / lac intrets / tour. You'll get ahead of the game to ski fornet / chavanette that way.

- coming back, the blue down to ardent is open so you can ski down there and again the bus will probably be quieter than prodains, but if not you can at least grab a beer (or 2) at happy hours and catch the next one.!

- if driving, I'd also go to the ardent bubble as I think the parking is free and not too bad to park up (again provided you're there early)

- if possible, don't wait till the first morning skiing to get your lift pass, if you arrive in the afternoon the day before, get it then otherwise I suspect you may be waiting a while. Did that 2 years ago the day after Boxing Day and waited over an hour for a pass..

- oh, and in my opinion the best pizza in the world can be found at l'étale in Morzine., it's called Pizza Étalé and it's like having a raclette on a pizza, heaven.!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the fantastic info p20pjd; I've emailed ESF to make sure we have the portes du soleil pass included. I'll be sure to take aboard some, if not all you advise! Just a pity about the poor weather - using Google maps for street view on Les Gets slopes is amazing looking - and such shame the images were actually captured in December 2012 Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To add to what p20pjd said - buy your lift pass at the Super Morzine ticket office too. No queue there on Sat. morning before getting on the bus but what looked like a 30min one getting off at Prodains.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys - I'm just to bite the bullet and ask - for the more experienced guys on here, what are the chances the forecasts for the next 5 days are all wrong and we're going to get 50cm dumped on us at the weekend? Little Angel
ski holidays
None - I wish I was wrong
ski holidays
crap
snow report
Don't worry about it. Where's there is being kept in amazing condition and was skiing really well last week.

Yes it will be busier but just:
1. Get up early (to beat the late risers)
2. Stop for coffee+snak break 11:30ish and ski through lunch (when everyone else has left the snow)
3. Stop after lunch and get to the bar before everyone else.
ski holidays
We went over to Chatel this morning from Ardent. Going up at 9.10 and so much busier than last week. Snow really being looked after, lots of classes and ski clubs with kids around. The run back to Lindarets was so much better than I expected. Very wary of those who are tanking it around as nursing myself back again after falling and completely destroying my helmet last Wednesday.
latest report
@p20pjd - Ardent car park gets rammed over christmas & NY. You'll definitely need to get up there early to find a spot. Also, buses back from there to Morzine can be grim. Wasn't bad last year as no snow, but there was regularly an hour + wait for a bus at peak times in the afternoon / evening the year before

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 21-12-16 19:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Hi everyone. I was in Morzine last year 28-31 Dec and found it ok getting the buses around. It was a massive queue at Prodains to get back so we just sank a few beers first. Ardent was a much nicer bus journey back...

Re this year, is the Super Morzine open yet?
snow report
Yyyeeessss. Or however you're meant to write "Yes, but no".

The Super Morzine gondola and Zore chairs opened on Saturday - but none of the other lifts and none of the pistes, just 3 walking routes. So yes, it is open - but if you want to ski you're still on the bus.
ski holidays
@Mjit, thanks. bug. Last year it was open, which must have taken a lot of pressure off the buses.
snow conditions
Hi guys, we are now travelling with an invalid (son has fractured wrist) we have a car so, what is the best way to get to Avoriaz? Should we drive all the way and park there or If we drive to Morzine or Ardent and get a bubble up, will we be able to get to the village and find a coffee shop on foot? Or will the lifts mean that we are dropped somewhere and have to ski straight off? We plan to head there for a few runs and take turns sitting with injured son - not ideal, but I am trying to plan ahead! First couple of days we are hoping to ski in Les Gets then head further a field. Any tips would be really welcome!! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@Sarahmac0, Easy to get to Avoriaz village if you go to Prodains - gondola takes you to the top of the cliff and it is a short walk to the village.

If you go to Ardent you can gondola up to Lindarets and then walk down to the goat village or stay at one of the restaurants near the gondola arrival. Not easy to get to Avoriaz on foot from Lindarets.
snow conditions
@Sarahmac0, drive to Les Prodains and take the new cable car straight into the heart of a Avoriaz. There are ample restaurants and coffee shops right opposite the exit to the cable car. Heading home either take the cable car back down, or you ski down to the bottom and the injured party can take the cable car. The same can apply at Linderets, although there isn't that much at the first access station. Les Prodains and Avoriaz is your best bet.
ski holidays
Dont waste your time driving to Avoriaz- go straight (early!) to Ardent and park there.

The occupancy levels for next week are quite low compared to previous years so hopefully it won't be as horrific as last year.

I'm going for a ski tomorrow so let's see what happens....
ski holidays
Im there next week with the OH in chatel , we were just discussing wether its worth us bringing our ski's and just renting out for the 4 days ...Whats the in-resort temps like? are they getting much snow making done?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ardent to Avoriaz without skis is a PIA. If you're skiing up in Avoriaz and taking turns to sit with broken sun the definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, prodains!! If you're happy skiing around Linderets and hanging out in restaurants around there then Ardent is best option (and free parking)!
snow report
@dye, Châtel this week was the best area and a good few runs open (plus the link to Avoriaz makes it worthwhile but ensure you get the PDS pass).

We skied 4 days and very glad we took our skis. I took some biking clothes just in case but didn't need them.

Agree with the above that on foot it's probably better to take the prodains as easier access to shops etc, but on skis taking into account the number of people going up to avoriaz from Morzine and LG next week i'd go via ardent.

As everyone has said, whatever you do though, do it as early as you can.! Think ardent bubble opens at 8:45 and prodains is even earlier (seem to have seen 7am on the website but wasn't sure if this was for everyone or just pedestrians).
snow report
The Ardent car park will be extremely busy from Boxing Day onwards into New Year. Your only real hope of getting a space is to be there before or just as the gondola starts. It is carnage at the end of the day, as late arrivals have dumped cars everywhere and there is no real control.

As far as snow/weather forecasts go, I imagine it is obvious to say avoid the Tourist Information Office forecasts (although oddly, they are great in the summer) and thus the SkiClub. The BBC is too general as are newspapers. I use a combination of 3:
- http://www.chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_forecast.php - a local guy who has been putting up an experimental forecast for ages. I find it to be pretty accurate and I like his explanation on the level certainty etc.
- chamonixmeteo - a group of local forecasters based around Mont Blanc - very good for short range (3 day) forecasts
- meteociel - in French, but you can see the GFS diagram, that shows how the forecasting models diverge (the closer the lines are together, the more likely the forecast).

The OH and I are due to travel out to Montriond just after New Year. The forecasts show no real likelyhood of decent snowfall before New Year. Might be doing some walking for a while.

Bon Fete everyone
latest report
Ive just come back from 5 days in Avoriaz and although there is very little snow on the mountain tops the pistes are in really good nick. There is quite alot open and enough to keep you busy. Morzine and Les Gets have nothing so the scki sschools are all using Avoriaz so the slopes can be busy. Current advice is getting up early is spot on. Some good skiing in the Fornet Arare areas as well as down into Lindarets. The run to Ardent is open but can be icy and the Prodain run is only open down to the Grand Combes lift.

Chaux Fleurie link to Chatel is open via Plain Dranse

Generally some great skiing in blue skies.

It beats being at my desk!!!
snow conditions
Is this a new webcam? Arare I've not seen it before
snow report
FreeBeer wrote:
Is this a new webcam? Arare I've not seen it before

It's history only goes back to the 21st
latest report
Day 3 of our trip today. Having spent the first two days around Avoriaz and starting from Prodains, we decided to head over to Chatel starting from Ardent. What a superb day. No queues to speak of and what snow they had was in pretty good shape. We spent last Christmas in Megève and the cover was pretty thin. I was expecting similar conditions this Christmas but it's been way better. Avoriaz seemed much busier than Chatel so I think it will be Chatel again tomorrow.

Merry Christmas everyone! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks for the heads up, staying in Thollon and was heading over to Chatel tomorrow to ski over in Avoriaz but might look at staying in Chatel now. We have our 7 year old with us so not looking at anything ambitious.
latest report
Dropped the kids at Pre La Joux at 09.45 and the top car park was less than a third full.

Spoke to one of the instructors I know and he reckons it will get busier from tomorrow as lots have stayed home for Christmas and will head up tomorrow.

Strange being up there with grass all around!

Happy Christmas to all the PDSites
snow conditions
Merry Christmas one and all... does anyone know if they are limiting lift passes this week to skiers staying in avoriaz? Article in the times said that they are trying to limit the queues...
latest report
No they aren't API. We went over to Avoriaz today from Samoens. Good day today - if you're happy on blues and reds there's plenty to do, especially if you have kids - but people of all ages having fun today. Snow not bad at all given the circumstances. Happy Christmas!
snow report
@dswordsmith,

Thanks we will head up there tomorrow
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy