Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2016/17 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@John617, The run doesn't seem to have changed significantly, but you can choose the steeper sections or the red by-passes. Perhaps it is because of the red by-passes that it's been graded red. In other words, it's now being treated as a red run with optional black sections, rather than a black run with optional red by-pass sections. It's strange that it's been regraded, as I would have thought that Saalbach needs its black runs, and no one I know ever had the impression that it was wrongly graded as a black.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would agree about run 14 should be a black. It's pretty tricky in a lot of places. The end steep bit is steep and can be icy. I took the red option to finish this time but tbh that was harder than the steep section Imo.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When we skied 14 at Christmas it seemed to get progressively more difficult each time. Whether this was due to conditions or the run getting slightly busier as the week went on. Our first run down seemed a doddle, but when we looked back up I think the comment was "actually that's pretty steep".
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

when we looked back up I think the comment was "actually that's pretty steep".

Much depends on whether you do the first bit - through the gap in the fence just below the Zwoelferkogel summit (as opposed to down the track to the right and turn right), and the last fairly precipitous bit down the road. If you do those sections, there's no way you could say it's a red.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The first black section wasn't open when we were there. The bottom black bit opened at the end of the week.

The bottom black bit while steep was actually fine as hardly anyone seemed to have been on it so it was nice and smooth.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First day skiing at Saalbach today. Lovely scenery and pretty good snow.

It did get surprisingly warm by lunchtime and I found myself overheating.

Hoping to get in a full ski day tomorrow (if my legs last).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi folks
Looks like we will be returning to Hinterglemm again next year having had 2 great holidays - saalbach this year and hinterglemm last year. Think we prefer hinterglemm (marginally). This year we got a good package with crystal but tend to go independently as we have 3 kids. Stayed at the rosentalerhof last year which was very nice. Looking to book flights in next couple of weeks and looking for decent priced half board around the Reiterkogelbahn or Ubahn. My daughter's friend will be coming with us and she is vegetarian. If she had been with us this year at The Koenig for example she would have been eating bread as there was no veggie options or certainly very restricted. Aiming for a budget around €80 a night if possible which I know is a tough ask.
Failing that we may head back to a great gasthof in Kappl which is only €58 a night db&b, the food was amazing and would cater easilly for veggie friend (they catered no probs a few years ago for our friend's daughter who is allergic to loads of things - what is it with my daughter's choice in friends ) Very Happy
Would prefer hinterglemm over Kappl so any tips would be great.
Vielen dank im voraus
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@boabski, a very budget option would be Hotel Reisinger. It's usually offered by Neilson. It's across the road from the Reiterkogel and a couple of mins walk from the Bergfriedlift.

The rooms are a reasonable size, fairly old school but perfectly fine. The food fluctuates between ok and awful but they do offer a vegetarian option every night (the OH isn't veggie but errs on the side of veggie most of the time). When we self cater we tend to have a big lunch on the mountain and eat whatever we fancy from the supermarket in the evening (but usually something fairly light). When we stay at the Reisinger we tend to do the same, but have a pot luck evening meal! Most other guests ate out most nights, but it costs relatively little to stay there so I guess it doesn't matter so much.

It's hardly a glowing recommendation, but the Reisinger does offer a very reasonable option. We've stayed there twice - once at Christmas, once at Easter and paid about £400pp inc flights and transfers, 3 sharing a room.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Re veggies, I stayed in the Flora in Selva again this year and had to tell them in November that my son had gone all vegan on me. Hotel emailed back to say thanks for letting us know and Chef produced a vegan option every night for him, well chuffed. So it is worth asking hotels if they can cater for our more difficult brethren Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is it not easier for veggies and vegans to avoid half board deals and dine out? We had a group of guests one season that included a vegan, and her eyes lit up when she saw the Vitrine vegan restaurant in Saalbach.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks - will have a look at the Reisinger. Wife is not keen at all on self catering, so the eating out thing probably not an option.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@boabski, friends stayed at the Reisinger. They said the food was awful.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Currently staying in kohlmais hotel. Who have a choice of meat, fish or veg every night. It's a bit more then your budget but not as expensive as some. To be honest the spa, food (5 course eveing meal, hot and cold breakfast buffet) and service is about the best I've had in a hotel before - and I've been to a few!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is going to be our first visit to Saalbach. Just a quick question on a particular slope , blue 2b into Vorderglemm ,
We are staying close to the bottom of the schattberg express and on our first morning ( Sunday ) we are trying to get to Leogang and spend most of day there.
I don`t want our first run of 2017 to be on a narrow , winding ski route. We will end up taking it in any case but if its not a great run we might have a couple of runs off the red 3`s and 4`s to warm up. I will also be grateful of a recommendation for some traditional food house in Leogang serving large portions.
Great stuff Lads .
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
2b or not 2b that is the question. Sorry could't help it. I always enjoyed the run first thing in the morning the top section is steep but short, the rest of it is very gentle. A great run to start the day.
snow conditions
Interesting day in Saalbach. Started out okay with some snow but it quickly turned to rain. It was light at first but became heavy fairly quickly. Decided to take the Schattberg Express and hope for snow at the top. Only problem was getting there. Took a blue from the bottom of Sunliner lift to the main road. Turns out there was more mud than snow on the run! It was so bad I have to question if it should be open at the moment. Anyway I made it to the road and the bus stop (with no shelter) and of course just missed a bus. By the time the next one came I was soaked.

Anyway it was snowing nicely at the top of Schattberg so stuck around there for the rest of the day.

It's snowing in town now but tomorrow's forecast looks a bit grim. Trying to decide if I have a day off skiing and do a day trip to Salzurg instead. I have a rail pass to use up so most of the trip would be free.
snow report
@Red Slope, Piste 2b is not a narrow, winding ski route - it's a relatively long blue run that some people think should be graded as a red, although much depends on the conditions and the time of day.
At Leogang you won't be disappointed with either the Alte Schmiede or the Asitzbrau, although our usual choice is the Hendl Fischerei - all three are within a stone's throw of each other near the top stations of the gondolas.
snow report
Agreed @tatmanstours, 2b I've found is usually best first thing in a morning and is not narrow. The last section is particularly steep for a blue (it certainly is flat out anyway as I found with legs shaking at the bottom).!

Leogang is wide and cruisey so lots of fun over there too and 'route 66' all the way back to saalbach is great (especially with a happy hour stop at the Berger Alm and then a session in the hinterhag).

Back out on Saturday and can't wait... Smile
ski holidays
Heading back out on Saturday although arriving later in the evening. Looking at the forecast (for what its worth) looks like it could be snowing on Sunday!!! Cant wait very excited now.
snow report
Guys, avoid Eva alam. I've never been so embarrassed in all my life! The bar staff there are the rudest I have ever come across in all my travels. Had to walk out and spend my money elsewhere!

On another note, weather was mental today! Got lost a few times in white out Conditions trying to get to 19 and back this morning only to find rain back in town?!
latest report
@boabski,
Quote:

Wife is not keen at all on self catering

Each to her own. Our guests last week said that, after many years of staying in hotels in Saalbach, they had decided in favour of s/c, as "you miss so much of the apres-ski by staying in hotels", and you have the freedom to eat when and where you like. From my conversations with them, I think they also appreciated having a relatively spacious home from home, with a Smart TV capable of picking up UK channels, as well as a DVD library and games for bad weather days. It's no doubt a question of priorities, and it will also vary from resort to resort, depending on the availability of good, reasonably-priced restaurants.
snow report
Quote:

Guys, avoid Eva alam. I've never been so embarrassed in all my life! The bar staff there are the rudest I have ever come across in all my travels. Had to walk out and spend my money elsewhere!

@scyco, I always seem to hear these reports of rude service second-hand, because I haven't yet experienced it. That said, we don't eat at the Eva Alm or the Trattoria (which has also been the subject of such a report). It's a fact that just one such report can put you off a place for years - I think it was a couple of years ago that my sister complained about the Trattoria's manager. We did have a drink at the Eva Alm not long ago, and the bar staff seemed very friendly on that occasion.

Last week my niece and her husband walked out of the Asitzbrau at Leogang, because of the rude and abrupt attitude of the waiter (who would be sacked if I owned the place). Generally we've found the restaurant staff extremely courteous and friendly in the places we habitually use - the Schattberg Stub'n, the Kohlmais Stub'n, the Del Rossi, Wallners, Hotel Peter, Bobby's, and all the restaurants up the mountain, especially the Hendl Fischerei, which seems to have a particularly happy, friendly atmosphere amongst its staff.
ski holidays
scyco wrote:

On another note, weather was mental today! Got lost a few times in white out Conditions trying to get to 19 and back this morning only to find rain back in town?!

I've previously found that it's the punters that are the issue at the Eva Alm. Its deerskin lined benches seem to attract a certain clientele who likes to be seen flashing the cash. The only problem I've ever had is getting a seat since many of the people there have been there since about 2pm after their cursory bit of skiing.
latest report
@honved, We hardly ever go there in winter, and I'm not its biggest fan in summer either.
latest report
Anyone about on Thursday?
Scarpa, Kiteman69 and me are planning a visit to The Chicken Man.... with maybe a bit of skiing thrown in too Twisted Evil
Tatman, I saw on FB that run 68(?) Viehofen will be closing tomorrow, surely not?
snow report
Hi guys and girls...

I am looking for second ski week (3rd week in March) this year and I would like to try Saalbach-Hinterglem-Leogang-Fieberbrunn area. I did some initial accommodation searches on Booking.com, Saalbach/Hinterglem home page but it seems that this area is quite expensive. I am looking for self catering appartement for max 4 people and I am tending (due to prices) to search for accommodation in Leogang/Fieberbrunn/Viehhofen. Does anyone know good, reasonable priced accommodation?

How's the connection between Leogang and Saalbach or between Fieberbrunn and Saalbach?
Is snow conditions in third week of march OK?

Thank you for your answers...
latest report
@Kooky, As you know, I'll be coming out to play - and also Mrs TT if the weather's clement and I can catch her in a mood to go skiing. Yes, Jarmila at the Hecherhuette told us yesterday that the run would be closing today - no surprise as it was getting very thin in a few places. However she was optimistic that it would be opened again as soon as there is more snow (which has actually happened today), and she also felt that there was more of an interest on the part of the lift company in keeping it open.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 31-01-17 22:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@matejp, So that's 18th - 25th March? If so, I'll put some feelers out amongst the British apartment owners of my acquaintance. I suggest that you send me your email address by PM, as I've already found one apartment that may suit you (update, I seem to have found two more).
The links are all open and will, I expect remain so throughout March and into April.
The conditions at that time should be okay, but it could be anything from fresh powder to spring snow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
honved wrote:

I've previously found that it's the punters that are the issue at the Eva Alm. Its deerskin lined benches seem to attract a certain clientele who likes to be seen flashing the cash. The only problem I've ever had is getting a seat since many of the people there have been there since about 2pm after their cursory bit of skiing.

We found this in the summer when we stopped by.
snow conditions
@matejp, we stayed here in the summer http://www.aussicht.net/de/home/ lovely place. No idea whether Herr Mullauer has availability or whether it is expensive compared to other places during the winter season.
latest report
@Kooky, I might be interested in joining you. Where is this infamous chicken man located?

Just have to decide if I'm having a lesson that day or not.
snow conditions
honved wrote:

Agreed, it is definitely that kind of establishment. Not really my thing but it seemed like a nice place to stop for a drink to get out of the rain. It was actually two separate incidents the first being the bar tender abruptly shouting at the Mrs to speak English as it's better then there German - in which she's fluent. Brushed that off. As we were only stopping for a quick drink we took a seat by the bar. Then when I very politely tried to order another drink I got shouted at by a different guy saying it's table service only. When I apologised and wondered if would still be OK as we were sitting a the bar and had previously been served there, he began shouting again. When I say shouting I mean shouting. The place went dead only for all the attention to be put on the two for absolutely no reason or provocation. To be honest, I can only imagine if he behaves in such a way to the wrong person he's lucky all we did was walk out in that regard. So, if you do go. Speak English and don't order a drink at the bar?!

Bobby's, Spitz and apres place opposite are all great and much better atmosphere.
ski holidays
scyco wrote:
honved wrote:

Agreed, it is definitely that kind of establishment. Not really my thing but it seemed like a nice place to stop for a drink to get out of the rain. It was actually two separate incidents the first being the bar tender abruptly shouting at the Mrs to speak English as it's better then there German - in which she's fluent. Brushed that off. As we were only stopping for a quick drink we took a seat by the bar. Then when I very politely tried to order another drink I got shouted at by a different guy saying it's table service only. When I apologised and wondered if would still be OK as we were sitting a the bar and had previously been served there, he began shouting again. When I say shouting I mean shouting. The place went dead only for all the attention to be put on the two for absolutely no reason or provocation. To be honest, I can only imagine if he behaves in such a way to the wrong person he's lucky all we did was walk out in that regard. So, if you do go. Speak English and don't order a drink at the bar?!

Bobby's, Spitz and apres place opposite are all great and much better atmosphere.

Disgusting behaviour that by the staff. Luckily I have never experienced that anywhere across the alps (so far). If that staff member continues, then yes, he will definately upset the wrong person sooner or later. The trouble is, some people thrive on situations like this and would enjoy nothing more than getting into a conflict with that staff member. It wouldn't take much for someone to make the atmosphere and situation very unpleasant and uncomfortabe for a staff member and other guests!!
snow conditions
@Raven,
Quote:

Where is this infamous chicken man located?

It's Mama Thresl's Hendl Fischerei Mountain Club, directly outside the top station of the Steinbergbahn. Don't know yet what time we'll be there, but expect it'll be between 12.00 and 1.30pm
snow report
Quote:

When I say shouting I mean shouting.

Sounds as if he went psycho, @scyco, Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Tatman's Tours wrote:
@Raven,
Quote:

Where is this infamous chicken man located?

It's Mama Thresl's Hendl Fischerei Mountain Club, directly outside the top station of the Steinbergbahn. Don't know yet what time we'll be there, but expect it'll be between 12.00 and 1.30pm

I have a lesson until around 11.30 am so that should work. Any identifying features I should be looking for? I'll be wearing pink ski pants and a black jacket.

Hopefully this rain is gone by tomorrow Sad
latest report
@Raven, We'll look out for you - full marks for wearing pink ski pants, which should assist. We're pretty nondescript (except for @Kooky, who will no doubt be her usual gorgeous self wink )
If you PM me your phone number I'll text you when we're there.
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
@Raven, We'll look out for you - full marks for wearing pink ski pants, which should assist. We're pretty nondescript (except for @Kooky, who will no doubt be her usual gorgeous self wink )

PM sent Very Happy
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:

PM sent Very Happy
snow report
aww Tatman, I love it when you ski with me and forget your glasses Madeye-Smiley

I will be wearing a snow heads buff and a smile, looks like its gonna be another awesome day in Saalbach, see you all there!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy