Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal 2016/17 Weather Report

Poster: A snowHead
canons not been on for a few days . dose that mean they aren't expecting the snow to last? could have been on at night I suppose .
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ghost Dog the web cam you want is the right hand of the four in the link I gave earlier
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Off to Mayrhofen 20th-26th Dec for my first trip of the season.
I too make the most of the train and buses to go to the other areas in the Zillertal. Great time every time I've been Very Happy
Happy to meet up with any other SHs out there same time
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kevinraine

I couldn't see an earlier post by you unless you meant the one on resort reviews with the interactive pistemap? Which does indeed have the webcam I meant http://winter.intermaps.com/zillertal_uebersicht?lang=en

Weirdly, if I go to http://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/
only 3 cams show.

And Bergfex is still missing both the Vans one and the Penken cam.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here is the link I posted on page 2 of this thread
http://www.feratel.com/en/webcams-weather/austria/tirol/mayrhofen.html

The right hand thumbnail titled Horberg-Hintertrett is the web cam you call the Vans one, for the Penkenjoch cam click on Finkenberg in the left hand frame
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, must be going blind, couldn't see your previous post yesterday. Penkenjoch cam never excites me much, probably because it doesn't show a slope. The Penkenbahn one, looking down the Combi is my favourite (which is the one along with Horberg that Bergfex appear to have lost).

Slopes down to the Grillhof were looking great, now quite sad looking. Come on snow, bring it on!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

were looking great, now quite sad looking.

Yep Sad It was 17C when I was driving home from work yesterday evening. The forecast is saying that the Föhn is weakening and getting colder towards the weekend... I hope so! Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grillhof, Pizza mmmmmmmm.

Got Selva for NY but back in the Hoff for 4 days late Jan, can't wait.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grillhof, Pizza mmmmmmmm.

Got Selva for NY but back in the Hoff for 4 days late Jan, can't wait.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
not looking too bad on the penken webcams . still plenty of snow on the runs

http://www.feratel.com/en/webcams-weather/austria/tirol/mayrhofen.html

forecast for cold and then snow next week so hopefully the canons will be going again soon .

http://www.bergfex.com/hochzillertal/wetter/berg/ snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tim000, think Mayrhofen opens tomorrow..wonder how many km they will get in action.

Bring on the cold!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bergfex now showing snow depths . 60 cm . http://www.bergfex.com/mayrhofen/schneebericht/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No sign of opening at Mayrhofen. Hochfugen was open at the weekend, closed just now.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just had a quick look at the cams. Some snow cannons working and the temps are now cold! Hopefully the forecast is correct and it allows the cannons to run for days....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ghost Dog, The Horberg side of Mayrhofen is open - I noticed the gondola was running when I drove past this morning.
I spoke to someone who went to Hochfügen last weekend. They said it wasn't brilliant with weird snow.
We went to Hintertux. Saturday was average with flat light. Sunday was great with fresh snow and sunshine. There's skiing at Sommerberg and the valley run is open.
The temperature stayed below freezing today and it looked like every snow cannon was running in every ski area along the valley. It was very pretty in the sunshine. Smile
snow report
I've just come back today from a good week skiing on the Hintertux glacier, as SaraJ said Sunday was great at Hintertux with a couple of cm fresh snow on the pistes. As the taxi took me this morning down the valley I saw that although the valley sides were green the snow cannon were going, here's a photo I took of some snow making areas (I think near Aschau).

snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, You took the picture just as you were approaching Fügen. The snow making that you can see is the Spieljoch ski area valley run. wink
I thought I saw you in the distance on Sunday.
latest report
@SaraJ, Ah thanks, I wasn't quite sure of the location when I took the photo. Sunday was lovely at Hintertux wasn't it? Very Happy
latest report
@SaraJ, @Alastair Pink,

Thank you for the info re conditions. I am quite jealous but will be there at month end 😄

Penken starting to look quite skiable now as well!
snow conditions
SaraJ, what do you mean by Horberg side? There are no chairs running that I can see above the Vans Park, is Schneekar running do you think? I wondere if gondola was running for staff?

Edit: Just checked, Schneekar and the one down the back Unterbergalm are running along with Tappenalm presumably so a couple of restaurants can open. Not a lot of skiing, albeit one of my favourites.
snow report
Looks like a few lifts open up Penken now and cams show skiers in the sun. Cannons seem to be doing the job.
snow report
Off to Mayrrhofen for a sneaky weekend from 9th - 11th Dec. Bit disappointed by the amount open with the cold conditions over the last week. However always had Hintertux up our sleeves as a banker.
Two questions for any Zillertal locals:
Any likelihood of more mayrrhofen terrain opening this week?
If not, with what is open should I stick with Hintertux all weekend?
Never skied either resort before. Smile
ski holidays
@Penzanceopinion, not sure who else is local except for @SaraJ.

There are other areas in the valley which are easy to get to by car, bus or train so if Mayrhofen doesn't have enough open you could easily try one of the other areas. There is a link on this thread for the piste map showing what is open in all the Zillertal resorts. Might be worth turning up and seeing what the locals are advising?
ski holidays
@Penzanceopinion, looks like you may be in luck. Piste map showing more lifts open/opening.
snow conditions
Thanks@Bennyboy1, just noticed that as well. Hopefully the mild snap does to cause too much damage, over the next few days. I will write a report on Monday.
snow conditions
Skied Hintertux today, incredibly mild above freezing late afternoon even at the highest point. Just about every piste is open, though no chance of off piste.
The snow conditions were just as expected, rock hard first thing and soft granular in the sunny areas.
But had a great day, far better than the rock, mud and slush at Avoriaz last year.

Mayrhofen tomorrow, again most lifts and pistes are open. Austrians are second to none in snow prep and welfare.
ski holidays
@Penzanceopinion, sounds like typical Germanic planning and efficiency Smile

Temps look a bit colder this week plus some snow possible?

rolling eyes

Looking forward to your Mayrhofen report.

2 weeks until I get there!
snow report
A week and a bit for me Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mayrhofen on Wednesday with my new throwdown 89's @clarky999, Neh Neh looks to be some fresh snow on the Cams snowHead
snow conditions
Fear not those bound for Mayrhofen over the next few weeks. The Austrians have it covered.
And literally so, I would estimate at least 75% of the pistes were open with hard packed machine made snow.
At this time of year; with the dry conditions the Alps have experience over the last month, you could not wish for better conditions. To be honest the pistes are so compacted that they resist heavy traffic admirably. Although skiing on soft snow is a joy, often by lunch time the pistes are a horrible mess. With this snow, they sure felt very durable.
Very quiet, no ques and fabulous sunny weather. Of course no offpiste, and the white stripes of snow slithering down the brown baked hillsides are a bit of a sad sight. But better that than no skiing!
Skied all over the linked area, the snow conditions we no different from 1650 to 2500m.
Extremely impressed with the excellent modern lift network. The cable car goes straight into the town centre which is also very handy.
Not being able to ski back to town is probably a god send, knowing how the home runs can become a death trap at the end of the day.
So again hats off to all those preparing the slopes on this, not overly high resort.

How economically sustainable making thousands of tonnes of snow is, whilst the weather is relatively mild, who knows?
But in a uncertain climatic future, those resorts that do all they can to open extensive areas of terain, will win out against those that shrug their shoulders and suggest you go walking/mountain biking.
Take note other parts of Europe.
latest report
@Penzanceopinion, thank you for taking the time to write this up. Cams certainly look ok and although next weeks temps are not looking as low as the charts previously expected I am confident of getting some skiing in!
snow conditions
Don't worry@Bennyboy1, you will get plenty of skiing in. It is spring like, but they will get the cannons blasting. Ahorn side opens on Saturday with skiing right back to town.
latest report
Shhhhhh! Austria is a well kept secret. France is much nicer. Everyone should Allez off there.
snow report
Looks like there was a few cm of snow yesterday? Looks more wintery on the webcams especially the Zell am Ziller ones compared to a few days ago.
snow conditions
I saw on the Zillertal Arena app earlier on that the valley run new for this season down to Zell am Ziller where the Rosenalmbahn starts isn't yet open-is this because there is no snow on it at all yet what with it ending up at 580m or so?
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, They're making snow on the lower part.
latest report
@SaraJ, great.

It seems cold enough looking at the forthcoming temperatures towards the end of the week and beyond for any artificial snow to stay put.
Looking forward to giving that new valley run in Zell a try next week
snow report
Who is in Mayrhofen next week? Anyone?
ski holidays
Me from 27th with the family!
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, skied the Zell valley run a couple of times on Saturday. It was in much better condition than I anticipated and it's a nice long run from the top of the karspitzbahn, but if you get lots of people on it it's going to turn into a very steep skating rink.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy