Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring skins on all mountain skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Bit of a dull question, can you fit touring skins to a standard all mountain ski, or is the touring ski a specific dssign? Thanks for the feedback.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can fit skins to pretty much any ski. All 3 of my pairs are technically 'all mountain', but no issues. Though I don't actually have skins for my biggest pair yet, just the smaller two Smile

just buy skins that you know are as big or wider than your skis, then trim to fit.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@fixx said
Quote:
Though I don't actually have skins for my biggest pair yet, just the smaller two
If you've gone for wider skis and your skins are now not wide enough, you could always try the trick of splitting them lengthwise (but not quite as far as the tip or tail), then make sure the skins are fitted up to the edge which will help solve any slippage when steep side-hilling.

Some skins for super wide skis use this method so must work OK eg http://splitboard.com/shop/skins/black-diamond-ascension-nylon-split-sts-climbing-skins/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@geoffers, thanks - good tip! Though My biggest pair get used a lot less, so I've just not bothered getting skins for them yet, as I haven't felt the need to take that pair touring, the other two do fine. And I'm not cutting up the skins for either of the smaller pairs, I'll still need those!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ian Kenvyn, Although there are some brands which make their own pre-cut skins, those which generally have a small hole at the tip (for example K2, Volkl etc).

As mentioned if buying for 'any' ski, just buy a skin that is as wide as the widest point and trim to fit. Most skins will either come with a special cutter, or provide instructions.

Another point to consider is that there are multiple skin types, ranging from Expedition, High traction, Low guide, Lightweight, Glue less etc.

For occasional use I would go with a Nylon skin such as those from Black Diamond or G3 (Genuine Guide Gear).

Of course you will also need some sort of tour capable binding to make use of your skins Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great, thanks for the advice Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ian Kenvyn, go for the COLLTEX CAMLOCK WHIZZZ SKI CLIMBING SKINS IMO the best on the market no messing with cheat sheets just stick the skins together. When they need reglueing it's just like sicking some tape on
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I ve gone for these this year (not tried them yet tho")

https://www.snowcountry.eu/contour-hybrid-free-split-skins.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAu6DBBRDDr6-e_6698E0SJACvuxnyMczktOMg5CTHZ8Qgpk5i6BjJYy77cqiGrmdrOa4xVxoCmzLw_wcB&utm_campaign=googlemerchant&utm_content=default&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlemerchant

[Didn't get them here, just for illustration!]

https://www.wildsnow.com/15298/review-contour-hybrid-climbing-skins/

I picked them on the basis that they are glueless (not clueless! edit!) and I can share them across a number of skis easily.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mishmash wrote:
I picked them on the basis that they are clueless

Does this mean your gear is - all the gear 'with' no idea?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy