Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet snowboard / ski carriage

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Anyone had any experience with Easyjet with respect to carrying skis / boards?

Wife and I are booked with them in Jan - we have 1 x snowboard bag booked in as baggage, which i plan to stuff with my snowboard and 2 sets of ski's. However, i've heard previously that they're getting a stickler for putting multiple items in 1 bag, and so don;t want to risk getting pulled up at check in.

Any experience from fellow snowheads?

Cheers

Olly
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flown multiple times with them, including last Friday (Birm - Gva that time, previously Manc - Gva) with 2 sets of skis, bindings, poles, a set of skins, my offpiste gear, toiletries, and a fair bit of clothes in my double Thule roller bag. No one has ever batted an eyelid. Just make sure it's within the weight.

Of course, YMMV.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When you book a ski bag you get a boot bag as part of the deal. We have put 2 pairs of skis plus poles and ski trousers in one bag and never had a problem. I think the weight limit for the bag is still 20kg. Plus 7 for the boot bag. (Best to check though). Last weekend we managed 3 pairs plus poles in one bag-though we had taken the bindings off their rails on one pair and put them in the suitcase. The bag was a shade over 20 kg on the way back and the check in lady at Geneva was quite relaxed about it.

Self bag drop at Gatwick north terminal means it's quite easy to cheat the weigh in-I confess Mr P has been known to put his knee under the end of the ski bag when he edges it onto the scales.... Embarassed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As per @fixx, it's always been fine. At Manchester, and probably other places too, Easyjet have done away with the check-in desks so you have to ask yourself whether you've packed any dangerous items, weigh it yourself, put your own label on (and hope you've done it right and your bag makes it to the plane) and then put it on the conveyor. The only interaction staff have with your bag at this point is in the oversized luggage area, and they are independent of the airline so don't care what is in there as long as it's not dangerous.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"Can I pool my hold luggage and sports equipment allowance?
Yes. So for example, if you’re travelling with a friend and choose to travel with an item of hold luggage each, together with one item of small sports equipment each, say a golf bag, your total allowance is 80kg.

You can split the total weight allowance any way you choose, as long as the total weight of all the hold luggage and sports equipment items doesn't exceed 80kg, and provided no single item weighs more than 32kg."

http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/baggage

You can put a board and two pairs of skis in one bag (along with any other random items you're allowed to carry as hold luggage) as long as your overall weight allowance isn't exceeded and no one bag weighs more than 32kg.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all - really helpful. Cheers
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IIRC the description is that the bag should have 'sporting equipment' in it. So if you've got a ski bag to be a bit safer you may want to restrict to:

skis
poles
boots
salopettes
coats
helmets
base layers
gloves
goggles

e.g stuff that you can happily argue you need to be able to ski. Generally though the only concerns I've seen in any airport (and with any airline) is about weight rather than anything else.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think the main issue is that they'll only pay out for a single set of skis if the bag goes missing...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^This.
Montreal convention says you can submit claims back to the airline for "essentials", but if the airline specify what can and cannot be in the bag then they limit what you can claim for. That's what we were told when Jet2 left every ski and snowboard on our flight on the tarmac at Gatwick for us once - luckly, they all got put on the next flight so we didn't lose anything for long.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is another of those problems that only actually exist on the internet... much like the Swiss side car rental (then driving into France) one.

Until this year, I was putting skis, boards, poles, helmets, clothes and boots in one roller bag, trips after trip, year after year. If you are under the weight, they aren't interested.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bar shaker wrote:
This is another of those problems that only actually exist on the internet... much like the Swiss side car rental (then driving into France) one.

Until this year, I was putting skis, boards, poles, helmets, clothes and boots in one roller bag, trips after trip, year after year. If you are under the weight, they aren't interested.

I agree. once the weight has been checked, I've never had a problem, as that was the only thing they were interested in.

However, I rang Easyjet, once, to check what their definition of ski equipment was. The very helpful person on the phone told me skis, boards, poles, etc etc. When I asked them about salopettes and ski clothing, they told me it wasn't included. I asked them when they thought I'd ever wear ski pants, other than when skiing and thus surely it was skiing equipment. They obviously disagreed with the policy, as they were laughing on the phone at the absurdity of it, but they said it wasn't included in the list.

Obviously I ignored it and packed the stuff anyway and haven't had a problem, but it was interesting that they said it wasn't authorised.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you book Skis on Easyjet it's basically just another bag and another 20kg of weight allowance. If you've got other luggage then the weight allowances are added together, so you could have 15kg in your ski bag and 25kg in your normal luggage or vice-versa. As long as the total is under the total allowed you're fine. (Might be an issue if you go stupid heavy on one bag, I think 32kg is the normal limit before they start worrying about H&S)

My ski bag was about 21kg when I went out to Geneva a couple of weeks ago but it didn't matter because the other bag was only 18kg. Main point to keep in mind is that heavy ski bags are bloody hard work to lug around an airport, even when they've got wheels.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I find it hard to manage getting my ski crap into a ski bag below 20Kg this is for £70 return on easyjet.
I notice that I can book a "hang glider" on for £80 return and get 32Kg allowance.

I'm going on the End of Season Hang Gliding bash this Easter. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So is my understanding for Easyjet is (just for the hold bags, not worried about the carry on) for the following example:

I have paid for both a normal hold bag and ski carriage, so I can turn up with
- Hold bag (20kg allowance as booked before the new 23kg allowance - damn!)
- Ski bag (with only one pair in it of course!)
- Ski boot bag

So no one bag can weigh more 32kg, but other than that, the bags can weigh any and all combinations not exceeding 40kg in total? And ski means a ski bag and a boot bag?

Right???
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
porkpiefox wrote:

However, I rang Easyjet, once, to check what their definition of ski equipment was. The very helpful person on the phone told me skis, boards, poles, etc etc. When I asked them about salopettes and ski clothing, they told me it wasn't included. I asked them when they thought I'd ever wear ski pants, other than when skiing and thus surely it was skiing equipment. They obviously disagreed with the policy, as they were laughing on the phone at the absurdity of it, but they said it wasn't included in the list.

Obviously I ignored it and packed the stuff anyway and haven't had a problem, but it was interesting that they said it wasn't authorised.

You could always say it protective packaging material to prevent damage to the expensive sporting equipment! wink
snow report
I’m willing to have a fairly lengthy argument with anyone that tries to tell me that salopettes and Coates aren’t skiing equipment.
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude, it's a Friday so I'll rise to that snowHead I've used mine for mountaineering, dog sledding, sledging with the kids, igloo building, snow shoeing, snowboarding (I accept, all are winter sports, but none are skiing!)
latest report
@snowdave, didn’t say that they are exclusively skiing.

Do you wear salopettes and a coat when you ski? If so then they are skiing equipment.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 1-12-17 10:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
i flew easyjet a few years ago & obeyed the rules.
Seems I was the only one!
Especially snowboard bags!
snow conditions
ster wrote:
So is my understanding for Easyjet is (just for the hold bags, not worried about the carry on) for the following example:

I have paid for both a normal hold bag and ski carriage, so I can turn up with
- Hold bag (20kg allowance as booked before the new 23kg allowance - damn!)
- Ski bag (with only one pair in it of course!)
- Ski boot bag

So no one bag can weigh more 32kg, but other than that, the bags can weigh any and all combinations not exceeding 40kg in total? And ski means a ski bag and a boot bag?

Right???

My question seems to have got lost in the discussion on clothes being ski equipment or not

Anybody with experience of easyjet ski carriage confirm my understanding?
snow report
@ster, Can't answer that, but I've flown EJ several times with a ski bag, and been over the weight by a couple of kilos more than once - in my experience if you are good natured about it you will get away with it. Of course I'm flying from Ireland, which might help!

On one homeward journey I was about 6kg over, so took boots out of the ski bag and crammed them into hand luggage, but by the time I got to the oversize bag drop the boots had somehow found their own way back into the ski bag (disclaimer - I am not recommending this course of action, but if you do do it, pick a busy spot where you won't be easily watched!).
ski holidays
Normally you don't have any trouble, I often pack as much as I can in a double ski bag.

But once at Geneva airport the young lady on the desk told me I was a naughty boy, I agreed with her and she let it through.

Once also at Calgary airport I got a ticking off for the same reason, but I said, "Its my boots, they are very heavy".
She said, "that's OK then".
snow report
@ster, You are correct that you can pool the weight. No idea regarding boot bag as my snowboard boots and board go in same bag.
As a heads up ej at Bristol are doing self checkin and self bag drop. You weigh your bags at a terminal which prints the luggage label. You then put it onto the luggage belt where it is rescanned and off it goes. No involvement by anybody except an agent who checks your passport as you start to queue. Oversize will have to go to a different belt which will be manned.
If you have only booked one item of ski carriage I suspect you will only get one luggage label.

Your airport may vary.

How about a snowboard bag. Skis, clothes and ski boots. Job done.
latest report
Thanks all, will try and confirm if a boot bag is part of the ski carriage, their website does say "skis and boots" but does not say either way on if this can be in two bags or must be in one.
ski holidays
@ster, you can definitely pool your luggage as long as no bag is over 32kg. Not sure about the boot bag but I believe it’s written in their guidance that you can have separate. I’ve never done that as put my boots in carry on to save weight.
ski holidays
ster wrote:
Thanks all, will try and confirm if a boot bag is part of the ski carriage, their website does say "skis and boots" but does not say either way on if this can be in two bags or must be in one.

If you do manage to get a straight answer to this would you post it here, please?

I've decided to take my skis with me this year & am all a dither over these rules, specially confused with the self scan & label conundrum that might throw more spanners in.

Don't think boots will fit in my ski bag, likely put them in suitcase (as usual) but one never knows...

Thinking about packing & looking at webcams is my new best favourite thing snowHead
snow report
I didnt ask about the weight pooling aspect as this is well documented on their site but below is the chat re "Skis and boots" and how many bags this means:

10:54:26 ME:
Hi. With a small sports equipment carriage booking it says you can take "skis and boots". As skis and boots normally fit in different types of bags does this this mean that I can take skis in one bag and boots in another, so two bags under the sports bag booking? Or does the booking only allow one bag and so the skis and boots need to be in one bag. Thanks

10:56:55 EASYJET:
Hi. Thanks for your question and chatting with easyJet today.

10:57:05 EASYJET:
Sure, let me check this for you.

10:59:58 EASYJET :
Skis and boots can be packed in two different bags and will still be considered as one item and charged as one item as a "package deal". Please note that when adding Skis and/or Boots to a booking, even if you add just one piece , the system will automatically add [but the weight will remain of 20 kg]. This comes from the fact that Skis & Boots are considered to always be a pair, therefore there are always 2.

11:02:51 ME:
Hi . OK just to be totally clear if I have bought a normal hold bag allowance, and a small sports equipment allowance I can take one hold bag, one ski bag with skis in it and one boot bag with the boots in it, so THREE bags in total as long as I keep under the weight allowance? Thanks

11:05:00 EASYJET:
PS Thats THREE bags into the hold

11:05:22 EASYJET:
yes.
snow conditions
@ster, Thanks for coming back with that update.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I notice that Easyjet hold baggage now states:

Quote:
Hold luggage allowance
Maximum total size (length + width + height) = under 275cm

Each customer including children and infants can buy up to three hold bags. A standard hold bag is 23kg (for new bookings made from 15 November 2017)*. You can buy extra weight in 3kgs units, up to a maximum of 32kg per bag.

http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/cabin-bag-and-hold-luggage

This looks similar to the BA policy Confused
So as my double ski bag will fit within that dimension and weight limit - so can my skis and clothes all now go in the one bag as my hold baggage and not as sports equipment?
latest report
They still have a 'Sports' equipment policy tho'. To be certain, I would phone them to check..
snow report
@Ray Zorro, I have friends who have packed bikes into boxes that fit those dimensions and got away with it.

"what's in the box?"

"bicycle components"

"hmmmmmm. ok"
snow conditions
How did you get on with this!?
I'm going with easyjet next week and just taking a large Scott ski bag, I've payed for 26kg and plan to just use the one bag. I'd welcome any feedback from personal experience
latest report
Last year I tried to get them to except my double ski bag as my only hold bag. I can get everything in it including boots and skis. There rest carried in hand luggage. They wouldn't have it.
Just wondered if anybody had better luck..
snow conditions
FrequentFaller wrote:
Last year I tried to get them to except my double ski bag as my only hold bag. I can get everything in it including boots and skis. There rest carried in hand luggage. They wouldn't have it.
Just wondered if anybody had better luck..

So what happened. Had you payed for hold luggage or ski equipment? What did they charge you etc?
ski holidays
So.. I've been on an online chat with EasyJet and talked to them on the phone.
They will not except skis and luggage in the same bag. You have to purchase skis as Sports equipment and then have a separate bag for hold luggage
Even though the wait and dimensions are within there guide lines. They want you to pay twice and my original booking is non refundable.
They say if I do try to take one bag, they will stop me and make me pay the extra pluss extra charges..
I'm going to try to alter my booking from hold to ski equipment and see how I get on..this reduces my baggage allowance from 26kg to 20kg with additional costs.
snow report
@LeglesWonder,
I already had 20kg allowance as part of my booking with crystal ski and Sleazy Jet would not swap that for a sports bag at 20kg. So I had to cough the extra sixty notes to take a ski bag despite me not taking a normal bag for the hold. There was a bit of backwards and forwards correspondence on this when I got back because I felt I had over paid. They wouldn't budge so I gave up and moved on. I'm going out to the Dolomites in eight weeks again through Cyrstal with Sleazey and I might give it another try.
ski holidays
@LeglesWonder, I have always put all my non snow related luggage in my snowboard bag when flying with easyjet without paying for an additional hold bag and I've never been pulled up. It's even easier now at Gatwick as their check in desks are all automated, so no staff to open your bag, once you're past the sole rep at the entrance to the check in area whose only job is to verify your boarding pass and passport then direct you to an available check in desk.
ski holidays
So..I can't change my hold bag to sports equipment on EasyJet. I now have to pay an additional £74 to add ski equipment on top of paying for extra baggage.
And trying to speak to them, they also charge you per minute.
This is there policy.
So people advising it's an Internet problem and it's just down to wait doesn't apply to EasyJet unless you've been lucky. They clearly are aware of this, as stated in the previous comments.
The lesson is Ask the Airline direct.
I would not choose EasyJet normally but it was the only flight that arrived in time for my transfer on a SCGB trip, and that's a whole new topic
snow report
hd wrote:
@LeglesWonder, I have always put all my non snow related luggage in my snowboard bag when flying with easyjet without paying for an additional hold bag and I've never been pulled up. It's even easier now at Gatwick as their check in desks are all automated, so no staff to open your bag, once you're past the sole rep at the entrance to the check in area whose only job is to verify your boarding pass and passport then direct you to an available check in desk.

Did you book as Sports equipment though at 20kg or did you book hold luggage ? The difference being both hold and sports were 20kg Now hold is 23kg with an option to increase the wait in 3kg increments.
This lured me in as it was cheaper to book a 26kg hold bag rather than a 20kg ski bag. Not cheaper now.
snow report
@LeglesWonder, sports bag. If you were trying to book skis on as a normal hold bag then you reap what you sow. Although there are so few checks at their auto check in desks now then I wouldn't be surprised if you got away with it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy