Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Loferer Alm 2016/17

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
With johnbarr and another friend I skied today on the Loferer Alm. There had been a dusting of fresh snow overnight, so that the pistes were in good condition early on. However, with the area moderately busy they became scraped in places as the day progressed. That wasn't a great problem but more frustrating was the fact that about a quarter of the runs (and both T-bars) weren't open as they hadn't received enough snow yet. This meant that some of the more interesting bits of piste weren't skiable.

Even more saddening was a notice announcing that Haus Gertraud in der Sonne, a hotel and restaurant that I have recommended on snowHeads, has been closed. A sad loss Sad

However, the skiing which was available was enjoyable. Here's a view looking down the Schwarzeck piste, with the cloud-covered Loferer Steinberge in the background...

Actually, the clouds largely disappeared in the afternoon, though it was pretty cold (-8°C).

There is a large beginners' area at the Loferer Alm, shown in the photo below, and a good selection of pistes to progress to after the first days...

For us the run down to the valley was one of the best runs of the day. It has a couple of steeper sections and much of the rest is a track. Today it was easy enough to ski (assuming you're not put off by being overtaken by racing eight-year olds). Here is one of the lower sections with skiers going down at the end of the day...

Roll on the new snow forecast for the next days whcih should fill out the area.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy