Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 17/18 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
In between storms take a little time to catch your breath and check out some ensembles.

The Arlberg

Chamonix

Cairngorm

Sestriere

Eastern Pyrenees

Interesting times for the south...

http://youtube.com/v/ttuA1UEUAI0
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm heading off to Maria Alm in Austria next month, and as ever, despite the usual admonitions to myself, I've started to get preoccupied with snow issues. I'm not daft enough to ask for a snow prediction for next month, but I would be interested to hear what conditions are like now in that area of Austria (Salzburg-ish) by comparison with what they would normally be this time of year. Anyone?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think pretty damn good...? Snow depths reported as 165/95 and all slopes and lifts open

Am jealous - a month to wait for me
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@J2R, I usually find Bergfex the most reliable but it only records the Hochkönig area as opposed to Maria Alm. Still the figures look good, more than adequate for an area of runs on mainly treelined meadows.

https://www.bergfex.com/hochkoenig-maria-alm-dienten-muehlbach/schneebericht/

The most reliable historical data IME comes from SCGB whose nearest staffed area is Zell am See but the repping doesn't start until tomorrow. Bergfex is reporting 20cm lower and 155cm upper slopes which when compared to SCGB historical average for this week which shows 20cm lower and 68cm upper looks good. So far.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's kind of the impression I'd got. I hope it holds up, as rain is forecast (although not as much as was earlier).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
J2R wrote:
That's kind of the impression I'd got. I hope it holds up, as rain is forecast (although not as much as was earlier).

Very little and today only. Mild for a few days then snow line drops and cold again.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
06z GFS still keen to make some noise as we go into second half of January.

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
there was me thinking I was in for some settled weather for wk 14-21st of jan in courchevel. still a long way off, but the charts seem to be saying there's 'something' happening that week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
J2R wrote:
I'm heading off to Maria Alm in Austria next month, and as ever, despite the usual admonitions to myself, I've started to get preoccupied with snow issues. I'm not daft enough to ask for a snow prediction for next month, but I would be interested to hear what conditions are like now in that area of Austria (Salzburg-ish) by comparison with what they would normally be this time of year. Anyone?

Maria Alm is very hot today. Almost 10c in the resort at lunchtime.

But 100% of lifts and trails are open today. Snowdepth is above-average. More than enough snow to see it through to early March.

Your trip will be fine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Rob Mackley, thanks for previous info. Did you go up today?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Parts of Italy forecast to get 2.5m of snow. Could see 1m further snow in Val d’Isere. Anticipate disruption if you are in an effected area.

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS, Yes went up , not surprisingly not all was open as there has been a lot of snow this week and with the yo yo temps the pisteturs have a lot of work to do . The off piste is currently wet and heavy with a rain crust up to about 2200m above this very firm and compact . But with colder temps the humidity will gradually disappear . The base is very deep and hardly any rocks showing any new snow and the recent rain will be long forgotten .
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Sunday night into Monday is going to be an extreme weather event on the French Italian border (especially on the Italian side) and reaching up towards Zermatt.

Snowfalls amounts could reach 3m in isolated areas. Resorts like Sestriere, Zermatt and Val d‘Isere will likely see lift closures. Transport links will be effected lower down due to torrential rain. Potential for Black flags in worst effected places.

Further out GFS takes it cooler from 11 January then both throw in the Atlantic as we get into the second half of the month.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nozawaonsen, what does throwing in the atlantic mean?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What a season! Viva Italia ❄️❄️❄️
snow report
@staffsan, the jet stream racing across the Atlantic without high pressure across Europe to block it.

The angle it approaches from is crucial, too flat from the west and it can bring milder temperatures, more from the north west much colder.

More unsettled weather and hopefully plenty of fresh snow. But with the risk of storms.

That said too far out to pick out any detail at this stage.
snow conditions
Just risen above the valley clouds. Gorgeous sunshine.
snow conditions
And the first year since 2008 we won't be going to Zermatt for February HT is? Yes, that's right. Interestingly the Zermatt website are only forecasting snow showers as opposed to a full blown dump for early next week. But Bergfex is on board showing a 1.6M accumulation at the top of Klein Matterhorn. Interesting times. Hopefully Tuesday's front will edge a bit more westwards too. Looks like you'll have a cracking day noza.
ski holidays
Interesting times with regards to the current snow pack.

There's the normal type of variations when considering "Snow Pack Observations".

And then there's "Snow Jack Observations" if they sink straight through it's powder and then like today it's hardjack with a Jack weight bearing crust Smile

Cracking morning as you can see and pistes empty as it's transfer day.
snow report
@nozawaonsen, any thoughts on where the snow line might be for this ‘event’ around the Tarantaise? Forecasts suggesting 1700/1800, getting lower later in the week.
ski holidays
GFS 06Z is showing a decent amount of snow Tuesday-Wednesday in the Arlberg, more than other forecasts. Is GFS not sufficiently high resolution to reduce predicted snowfall amounts for the northern alps from weather systems approaching from the south?

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?geoid=2547&model=gfs&var=93&run=06&lid=OP&bw=
latest report
@Weathercam,
Quote:

Snow Jack Observations
Brilliant. And what a gorgeous photo. Very Happy
snow conditions
@hd, others may have a more scientific answer, but in the last few years that I've been watching GFS predict some over spill from south to north it's never actually reached my location. Might be better higher up and deeper into alps toward main ridgeline but more likely to be localised than widespread (overspill). YR is better, also Arome and Arpegge models for near term.

What a day today is.....clear blue sky, mild, calm and dry, empty restaurants / pistes and gorgeous soft fluffy.......sludge.
snow report
Just checking the short term for Pila.
Looking at over 1m sun, mon, tue!
ski holidays
Daft question alert...... I've followed this thread for a number of years since I started skiing, I've learnt a lot but one thing that remains a mystery (even after an attempt to consult google) are the regions within the Alps referred to here (e.g. Tarentaise, Arlberg) - if I'm looking for La Plagne, which region does that fall in to?? Puzzled
latest report
@chopkins13, it’s in the Tarentaise.

Poster from an interesting company called Apres Art.
snow report
Lovely day skiing above Leogang and Saalbach today. Leogang itself was in cloud, but the mountains were sunny and warm. A lovely taste of spring.

Pistes in excellent condition, softening nicely as the day progressed. Off piste in general best left to itself for a while. Too soft and heavy.

Ended the day with some very fine chicken.

There really is a lot snow around Salzburg above about 700m. Huge piles of it. At present it’s still a bit sodden, but don’t think just because it rained it went away.
ski holidays
“Non, vous ne rêvez pas : des hauteurs de neige fraîche monstrueuses sont attendus par endroits.”

Meteo Alpes view on coming snowfall for the French side (likely to be stronger on the Italian side).

“Une situation de "retour d'Est " particulièrement dynamique va se produire entre Dimanche et Mardi. Les cumuls de neige attendus s'annoncent très importants et même exceptionnels très localement.”

https://www.meteoalpes.fr/2018/01/06/retour-d-est-neigeux-tr%C3%A8s-actif-le-point-complet/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
there is the risk of real problems in NW Italy if the forecasts are accurate. Not only will that sort of snow cause an enormous avalanche risk but beneath 1200-1500m with such torrential rain you will be looking at damage to infrastructure including roads and bridges from flooding, mud and landslides.
ski holidays
Is there still support for 'something' happening around 15-18 jan? I dont know wich models j2ski uses, but they suggest this for cham:

snow report
@nozawaonsen, about the atlantic and the jet stream, does it look like its gonna come from northwest or west right now?
latest report
@staffsan, Cuurently the Jetstream forecast does support something around this time. But any confidence in this would be misplaced - its just too far out. MF placing a confidence of 2/5 to 3/5 for this period. It maybe not quite be equivalent to astrology this far out, more akin to an economics forecast wink
snow report
@staffsan, j2ski tends to get a little over optimistic with the amount of snow due to drop in FI, they tend to get a bit more realistic as the event gets closer.
ski holidays
That weather heading towards Italy has already caused chaos near Madrid.

https://www.facebook.com/severeweatherEU/videos/2148561945366895/
snow report
Is it me or is the Retour Est being far more widely used by everyone?

When I was down in the Queyras with a group and a guide (Molines) 5 or 6 years ago and the gite owner told the guide how it would be a better option to go up two valleys more to Abries that's the first time the guide had heard about it and when I got back to civilisation I googled it and only came across a couple of references to it now it's everywhere!!!

And that link Noza has posted from Meteo Alpes and the effect on various sectors is truly bizarre as they (unless I've missed it) they don't even mention the Haute Alpes and the likes of Montgenevre https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/travel/ski/S1685~Montgen%C3%A8vre which geographically is so much closer and substantially affected far more that the likes of resorts up the Maurienne ?

And then look at Prali https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/travel/ski/S3100~Prali as a comparison which allways gets it.

This time round it looks like the heaviest starts right on the border down South Limone and stretches and almost follows the border up to Pila and beyond.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, obviously you were one of the first people to use the term and bring it back to civilisation. Stands to reason!

Alpes Meteo is I believe focussed on the northern Alps.
snow report
@nozawaonsen, no need to get like that - do a search on here, quite simple !!!!

In fact one of the earliest references I found was from Davidoff in 2009 on his site and it was used to describe weather patterns in the Mercantour.

This was a trip report from 2014
ski holidays
A 'retour d'est' is a French name for a phenomenon that is mostly happening in the Italian Piemonte. Literally translated, it means a return from the east. A true 'retour d'est' is created as cold air finds its way to the Gulf of Genoa through the Rhône valley and the French Alps.

Just so the rest of us know!
snow report
Does anyone know if the Italians have a particular name for this Genoa low scenario?
latest report
Bergfex predicting up to 150cm tomorrow at altitude val sidereal, presumeably more likely the Fornet side !
Should guarantee the season there. Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy