Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
Not convinced about any mild weather.

Probs not much fresh though. Pisted should be fine.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not much fresh due but the freezing level isn’t going to be too high for too long so the pistes should last I reckon. The milder weather might actually melt some of the pavements and make it a bit easier to walk round! Laughing (not that I’d want to lose the winter wonderland though).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A great weekend snowboarding in the PDS, super conditions on Friday in and around Avoriaz, Saturday chanced a PDS pass as the ticket sellers at Ardent had no idea if the Plaine Dranse sector was open or not, this at 10 after having to dig our way out of St Jean. No info available on what was open in the Morzine side on the PDS website Saturday night, or lift status pages, so skied all of Grande Terche on Sunday which was virtually empty with loads of fresh off piste powder. Don't know what it is with Morzine, but you would think after a dreadful season last year the people running the place would have stepped up to the plate and been better organised this year at getting info out as to what was open etc, instead of it being some sort of secret. Les Gets were organised, albeit only partial opening, Avoriaz was ready, but some pistes closed due to avalanche risk and visibility, so were the other french sectors near by. Morzine just seems to be behind the curve, or they just don't care. A shame really as this is where I first learned to snowboard, hadn't been back since 2013 and after 3 trips to the Dolomites in the meantime, 2 being bashes, I have to say the French in Morzine have a lot to learn from the Italians about running ski resorts...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skied from Morzine, through Avoriaz and then off Chavanette towards Avoriaz and Mossettes down into Les Crosets today. Pistes quiet to empty, visibility great (until low cloud late pm) and snow in good condition. Moguls on Swiss Wall relatively small, just need to grow a pair and do it!
Off piste around Plaine Dranse tracked out with signs of avalanche above Les Combes - in line with yesterday’s 4/5 warning. Off piste overall still relatively soft tho.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gsmyth555 wrote:
How do you think the snow on/off piste will be come Dec 25th? A small amount due tomorrow then nothing for a week, with somewhat mild weather. Will it still be pretty great do you think? Runs back to base not rock hard?

I’d imagine with that forecast many pistes will get quite hard when the Christmas hordes descend, as they often do in the PDS. But as for now......today was absolutely awesome. Bluebird, no queues for any lift, pistes in superb condition and lovely untracked powder to be found in avoriaz all day (almost impossible any other week of the season)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Tankerdriver, couldn’t agree more with you about info being kept secret!

We find the best site to look at is www.avorinet.com and go to menu in top line, ski and snow tab, under snow and lift stats click lifts status. There is then choice of three, best go to PDS, and you get a list of all the PDS resorts. Bit laborious, but once you are there it is a bit helpful. Some of the resorts add where there are planned openings but not all!

Mt Chery in Les Gets is opening on Saturday, out of the mouth of a member of the Venning family, La Grande Ourse. No snowboard park there this year, so big wide piste.

It was lovely to ski in LG and Morzine in the sun finally this morning. Snow cannons blowing away on Nyon. More cafes beginning to open, snow being cleared off terrace at Chez Nannon, bit later going round there was smoke from the chimney, last time their big banner was up on the fencing.

Huge pig in evidence just through the tunnel above the non-running Fys lift this morning. The little snack bar/Cafe seems to have been transformed into a new building, cafe like on ground floor but seems some way from being finished.

Piste bashers were in evidence in the Rosta bowl, they appeared to be clearing snow away from the bottom of the Rosta lift so the chairs will be able to operate. The new Ranfoilly lift is sitting waiting to go. I think a ‘soft opening’ would be in order to make sure all is well with not so many people on it, rather than waiting till the busy weekend.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 19-12-17 17:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A few shots from LG today. Must say very little left untracked out there, had to take the OH on a few excursions through the trees so she could test some Rockettes. Mind the dip.
Apart from guides / touring, the first lifts on Saturday are the only way to get to the good stuff now.....Ranfoilly/Grain D'Or/Perriere or head to Chery Nord first thing always a tough call, can't do both.

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree about the general lack of organisation in Morzine - navette timetable still hasn’t been published!

Edit - looks like it has finally gone online today!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 19-12-17 19:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

It was lovely to ski in LG and Morzine in the sun finally this morning. Snow cannons blowing away on Nyon. More cafes beginning to open, snow being cleared off terrace at Chez Nannon, bit later going round there was smoke from the chimney, last time their big banner was up on the fencing.

snowHead That gave me a real good "start of season" frisson. Les Saisies provides excellent information on what's open on their website - though nothing is now, until the weekend. It's all "hors période".
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree too. Trying to find out yesterday if Pleney was open. I could see the main bubble running from my kitchen window but it often runs at odd times. The website said everything was shut so I skied elsewhere.
The daft thing is, the split of lift pass revenue in the PDS is based on the number of people passing through the lift barrier. If no one knows they’re open......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Pamski, ah, Spotty the pig. He has a smaller and more furry pig friend, called Furry. There was a pot bellied version too, earlier this year. Sadly Dave seems to be no more.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nyon sector mostly closed yesterday, but nice snow on Fornet, Arare, Linga, PLJ, milder down low to Ardent.
Big Blue skies now .
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's definitely a lot more open around Morzine today. Snow around Morzine is a mixture of rock hard or slushy. Les Gets is a lot better but a lot busier.

The area around the 'Tunnel access nyon' on the piste map was absolutely deserted yesterday. That area looked quiet again this morning.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking like a bluebird day here in the PdS. A good day for getting up high and taking in the views.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
First chair went to Chery Nord yesterday, shame all that untracked off piste was so hard and crusty early on. Kicking up ice particles instead of fluff.
Latest forecast is wed - fri should see 30-40cm down to 1000m

latest report
Blue skies in Chatel for my first day of the season. No queues in the PLJ/Linga area (we didn't get further afield than that). A fairly late start after travelling out on Saturday and it was pretty well perfect on piste with very few icy patches. Tracked off piste and we didn't go there at all.

Nice to be on snow again and it looks like more of the same tomorrow before some "weather" arrives later in the week.

Pere Noel arrived at Lac de Vonnes tonight accompanied by around 50 ESF instructors with paraffin torches. Pere Noel himself was in a horse drawn sleigh. The crowd was 6 or 7 deep on the track round the lake and with a fine disregard for "elf and safety" the whole lot wandered through the waiting crowd who were all full of vin chaud. No injuries I don't think.

Happy Christmas to the regulars. Who else is out here this week?
ski holidays
I think I can answer my own question - no-one! Not a queue all day, didn't wait for more than 2 chairs on any lift.

Mostly blue sky/sunny but a bit of high cloud at times. The odd icy patch but mostly really good grippy piste conditions. We were over in La Chapelle for the fantastic tartes at the top of Braitaz (and a bit of skiing). On the way back the slope above the road hairpin on the easy way down Tronchey was sliding which explained why it was closed earlier. The pisteurs at the top looked a bit concerned and had put up a hand written warning sign. New drag lift in the bowl at the top of Barbossine is a perfect angle for nervous beginners.

Really don't know where everyone is, even the bus back up to Petit Chatel was civilised!
snow report
Glad to hear PDS conditions seem OK.
Driving down to Morzine overnight tomorrow to hit the slopes on morning of 27th 😀
snow conditions
@Roger C, just seen the weather forecast on France 2. Chatel was used as the ski resort shot (top of Morclan) and they are forecasting snow down to 1200m tomorrow and 600m on Wednesday. You should find Morzine all snowy by the time you arrive.

I suspect it will get busier as the week goes on with it building for New Year.
latest report
Thanks @DJL, hopefully not too snowy on arrival as fitting chains never seems easy after an overnight!

Thursday should be good though if Wednesday nights forecast snow arrives.....
snow conditions
Thanks @DJL, hopefully not too snowy on arrival as fitting chains never seems easy after an overnight!

Thursday should be good though if Wednesday nights forecast snow arrives.....
snow report
Last 3 days really good conditions.
Also noted there is an extension at the bottom of the Les Crosets Super park with 3 big beginner boxes.
Snowing heavily at 1250m now. Heading out to find pow.
snow report
Still no queues! Snowing at breakfast time in Petit Chatel and didn't stop until after lunch. Not super heavy but pretty steady. Certainly freshened things up around Pre La Joux. I reckon about 10-15 cm up the top and a bit less at the bottom.

Village temperature was 1C when we set off this morning and the same when we headed home. Some of the snow low down was pretty wet.
snow report
The lack of queues is astonishing. We are staying at the top of the Pleney and the conditions this afternoon were superb when the visibility was good. I reckon we had 5 inches of fluffy powder today and we even found some freshies on the pistes that were closed
snow report
@KennyEverett, you are very lucky! We travelled home to Sussex on Christmas Eve but did enjoy queue free lifts after they opened, although we could have done with a few more open. No doubt by the time we come back to Les Gets on 2nd January there will be more people around Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
I think the numbers are building but still very queue free in Chatel and I managed to get a parking space at PLJ that meant 50m of walking first thing and 0m of walking to get back to the car. Hope it keeps up.
snow report
Rode the powder in the col de Graydon 4 times before anyone else came and made tracks, then rode the forest trails. No one around. Awesome.
Gotta work today Sad
latest report
Been surprised myself at how quiet it is this week. Can only think
many decided not to chance booking Morzine for Christmas after the last two years and have gone higher or not bothered at all
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So after a 1hr sleep in an aire turned into a 3 hour sleep we arrived in Morzine a bit later than anticipated.
After a quick change we had a great afternoon's skiing around Morzine & Les Gets.

As previously mentioned it's SO QUIET - no queues anywhere!

And yes it's been snowing Very Happy most of the day. Still absolutely hooning it down now in Morzine and roads are looking a bit tricky.

I'd estimate about 10 to 12 inches has fallen today on the tops. Tomorrow should be clearer so we're planning a blast around the PDS circuit....
ski holidays
No report from the hill today as I have man flu (sore throat, head ache, weary, sorry for myself) - not that I expect sympathy.

Been snowing on (mostly) and off all day. I've just been out and measured the depth on the car roof at 24cm so allowing for a bit of settlement I reckon we have had close to 30cm at 1300m in Petit Chatel. That's a whole foot in old money. Still snowing lightly now. Reports of 40cm or more up top seem entirely credible.

I'm feeling a bit better so will venture out tomorrow. Could be a lot of fun and will swop to the wide skis!
ski holidays
Crazy amount of snow last night - was shovelling from 6-> 6:30 to get the car out this AM.
Just stopped snowing 45 mins ago - should be a great day.
snow report
Not really about the snow, but does anyone know what’s happened to La Panthiaz bubble ?
It’s website describes it as “Permanently closed “. It’s the lift connecting ( loosely ) La Chapelle D’Abondence with Chatel.
snow report
It's running.
http://www.lachapelle74.com/www-bulletin_neige-249-HIVER-UK.html
Also confirmed by telephone, I will hopefully be using it tomorrow Smile
latest report
Panthiaz was running on Tuesday.

Lots of snow and despite a lateish start there was quite a bit of fresh tracking to be had just at the side of the Barbossine runs. Some runs quite mogully in the afternoon and noticeably chillier.

Still not what I would call busy but it is building. We had a 2 min wait for Les Combes lift at 16.00 but that was the worst all day.

Last day tomorrow and the morning looks promising though strong wind forecast for the afternoon (and more snow). Pre New Year transfer day might be a challenge.
ski holidays
I skied Super Chatel/Morgins sector this morning (thigh deep powder, mixed blue/cloudy skies, very few people) and Linga late this afternoon and found Linga to be very busy by Chatel standards.

For New Year I'll probably head over to La Chapelle/Torgon most days.
snow conditions
Good to see so many people out there, pretty busy in Les Gets today, but with a few shortcuts the bottlenecks can be avoided.
Eg, we skipped a 20min queue at bottom of Chavanne express by jumping on the gonolda (no queue), then catching a drag lift from mid station all the way to top of Nauchets. Quickest way to the bowl.
Also nice that even for late arrivals like us today, plenty of untracked powder around at 11am, even just cruising around the sides of the beginners area (la croix) and under lifts.
Shin deep where I was, but then again I am on the tall side.

http://youtube.com/v/QFNwV7XJnt8
snow report
Blue skies, lots of snow, quiet slopes.
Gonna be another great day.
snow conditions
morning - partner and I coming to Morzine for 1st time on 10th for 5 days. Certainly looks like an amazing start to the season esp given previous few seasons!! Any good links to off piste(im a boarder) and bars as no kids!? Also decent mountain restaurants! Very Happy

edit - oops 2nd post in 12 years... must be a record!
latest report
langball wrote:

Shin deep where I was, but then again I am on the tall side.

Clearly, you're not going fast enough.
latest report
@snoozeboy yes indeed, even travelling in slow motion there were splashes of powder reaching the midriff. I was gonna ask to see your thigh deep videos but nevermind.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy