Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
snoozeboy wrote:
I skied Super Chatel/Morgins sector this morning (thigh deep powder, mixed blue/cloudy skies, very few people) and Linga late this afternoon and found Linga to be very busy by Chatel standards.

For New Year I'll probably head over to La Chapelle/Torgon most days.

Will most likely run into you as will also be there, plus Morgins forest, Pt de l'Au, and certainly Le Fer Rouge Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
langball wrote:
@snoozeboy yes indeed, even travelling in slow motion there were splashes of powder reaching the midriff. I was gonna ask to see your thigh deep videos but nevermind.

Home videos of me skiing are too dull even for my narcissism, let alone to inflict on others.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WindOfChange wrote:

Will most likely run into you as will also be there, plus Morgins forest, Pt de l'Au, and certainly Le Fer Rouge Smile

Send me a pm and let me know when you're around. I'd love a break from skiing with the kids.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
At least 8 inches overnight at the top of the Pleney but turning to rain in Morzine. When the freeze level goes back up it will be wall to wall powder again. Shame we’re on the bus to GVA
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cheeky,
My favourite bars are...
Bec Juane Brewery
Tibetan (Sadly currently closed due to fire but hopefully back open soon)
Cavern
Dixie Bar

My favourite mountain restaurants....
Cookie Cafe at the top of the Mossetttes lift
Chez Nannon on the Nyon sector
La Terrasse in the Lindarets Goat Village
(To be fair, haven't had many bad meals across the whole of the PdS)

Sorry can't help with the off piste stuff as always on piste due to family constraints! Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, we held off booking our return to Morzine on the 13th because of the forecasted rain, and now our desired flight is full Sad We really love the extent of skiing when there's low level cover too. Appreciate its difficult to tell... but can folks help tell us what the impact of the rain is likely to have for a 13th or 20th Jan arrival. Help very very welcome.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@paulmags, With the snow depths that the area currently has I'd expect the rain to have a minimal effect by then.
To reduce it much we'd need a much longer spell of warmer air with rain for it to diminish the snow base.
The current forecast looks like colder air will be coming back in at the end of next week with snow returning.
(That's my hope anyway as we arrive on the 20th!)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Major mud slide reported between les gets/taninges/verchaix. Roads to all 3 places blocked and closed and will not reopen tonight. Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If travelling to les gets...go via Thonon.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
La Centrale on Facebook.........

"We have just spoken with the gendarmes in Taninges and apparently the road won't be open tonight, and maybe not tomorrow due to avalanche risk and they're asking people to come up through thonon. Morzine gendarmes say that the road from thonon is fine. Stay safe on the roads."
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From Morzine Source Magazine on Facebook......

LANDSLIDE UPDATE: Following several landslides on the road between Les Gets and Taninges this afternoon, the road will be closed for the foreseeable (most of tomorrow, likely Monday also). All traffic and therefore airport transfers are being re-routed through Thonon. Consequently, extra time is needed to reach the airport. If you're travelling to Geneva tomorrow, look out for an update from your airport transfer company and expect your pick up time to be moved forward. If you don't hear from them, we recommend you get in touch to check your pick up time. Safe travels and good luck! #lovemorzine
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Big thanks @no_snow_in_swindon. That helps a lot. We're booked for the 20th and look forward to it. Fingers crossed.. and have a great holiday too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulmags wrote:
Hi, we held off booking our return to Morzine on the 13th because of the forecasted rain, and now our desired flight is full Sad We really love the extent of skiing when there's low level cover too. Appreciate its difficult to tell... but can folks help tell us what the impact of the rain is likely to have for a 13th or 20th Jan arrival. Help very very welcome.

One day and night of rain is not going to wreck a 2.4 m snowpack (at the top)

Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.facebook.com/MorzineSourceMagazine/photos/a.629850467076654.1073741828.391678780893825/1659476184114072/?type=3&theater

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That should be ok on winter tyres surely?
latest report
Quick question...... If you get the Chavanette lift up the swiss wall, can you come down a blue back towards Avoriaz?
The piste map shows it slightly off to the side but presuming it's closer and is actually joined?
latest report
@no_snow_in_swindon, yes
ski holidays
no_snow_in_swindon wrote:
@cheeky,
My favourite bars are...
My favourite mountain restaurants....

thanks @no_snow_in_swindon

Other questions!

My OH needs to hire skis/poles - any shop preferences? (we are staying at alpina next to sports centre/ice rink)
Need to get my board waxed and edged?
Any discounts on ski tickets? We are skiing 5 days, poss 4 if weather is rubbish Shocked
latest report
Next Wednesday, my wife and I are driving to Les Gets from St. Luc Switzerland so crossing from Switzerland to France on highway D22. Assuming reasonable road conditions, my wife is amenable to dropping me off along the way and letting me make my way to our hotel by skis as she continues by rental car. My best guess is that I am probably dropped off around 11:00.

Looking for recommendations on the most convenient place for the drop off (I'll need to buy my pass as this will be day 1 in PDS), recommended route over to Les Gets, lunch or other diversions along the way and any other general advice on this plan.
ski holidays
I hired from Berger Ski a few times, bottom of the Pleney gondola. Their Soul 7 skis are great for powder days and they have lockers so you can leave your skis there. Not so handy if you plan to Ski the Avoriaz side though.

http://www.bergerski.com/homepage.php
latest report
Mont Cherey was empty today, powder everywhere.
When we got to Col d'Encranaz there were only 4 other cars.
Yesterday similar PLJ, Super Chatel v quiet.
Happy valley full of fresh snow and largely untracked.
NYE - La Chapelle, Torgon, Chalet-Neuf and Morgins, slightly busier, but nothing mad.
Weather not looking so good for the next couple of days.
ski holidays
@mr. mike, drop off Morgins. Get lift map. Follow directions to Les Gets.

Lunch maybe Plaine Dranse? Hear La Folie very good (top of Pierre Longue chair).
latest report
@under a new name, so I can piece together from Morgins around through Avoriaz, and then looks like the next step is to make my way down to Super Morzine where download on a cable car to Morzine proper. Then I suppose there is a ski bus from that base area that will get me across the valley to the Pleney cable or Crusaz chair?

Thanks
snow conditions
mr. mike wrote:
@under a new name, so I can piece together from Morgins around through Avoriaz, and then looks like the next step is to make my way down to Super Morzine where download on a cable car to Morzine proper. Then I suppose there is a ski bus from that base area that will get me across the valley to the Pleney cable or Crusaz chair?

Thanks

There’s a free miniature road train that connects the Super Morzine to the Pleney lift.
snow report
You can walk it in 5 mins - even quicker if you have board boots and are only carrying one plank of wood.
latest report
All lifts in avoriaz closed.
What happens with lift passes there?
presume it's wind, fair breezy down in Geneva!
snow report
@hawkwind, Dunno why you would want to go out in lashing rain and high winds, although your location shows Northern Ireland so you might be used to that kind of weather.
It looks like St Jean is Open, so you can use your PdS pass there. The Circuit of the Rock of Hell and Bellevaux is pretty sheltered apart from the cols of Graydon and Follys.
The snow on the circuit should be in good nick, as it was great on Xmas day, and we've had a shed load more snow since then.
You can call the tourist office on 04 50 79 65 09 to check, but seriously - it is disgusting out there.
latest report
All appears closed in Les Gets at the moment apart from the drag at La Turche and the drags in the village and on Chavannes . Can see someone on La Turche drag
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Other questions!

My OH needs to hire skis/poles - any shop preferences? (we are staying at alpina next to sports centre/ice rink)
Need to get my board waxed and edged?
Any discounts on ski tickets? We are skiing 5 days, poss 4 if weather is rubbish Shocked[/quote]

There's an Intersport just over the bridge from the Alpina, next to the Super Morzine bubble, that would be your closest.
They'll also allow you to store equipment if you rent from them.
It might look like the Alpina is next to the ice rink on the map but there is a significant height difference....

I've used Caribou sports for rental and ski tuning and found them to be very good.
Shop is on your way by foot to the Pleney bubble.
Have a look online as there are usually deals to be had if you book in advance.
Doubt you'll get any discount on lift pass though, I think a minimum of 6 days is required but I could be wrong.
ski holidays
@cheeky, As @ardbroilach says the Intersport by the Super Morzine bubble would be your nearest and I always hire from there. Good service and decent prices (although i always book early and get a good discount)

We also book our lift passes online. Again early to get a discount and I think all of the discount have ended for this season.

Have a great time. Any more questions just shout as there's loads of PdS experts here Very Happy
ski holidays
Any recommendations for a ski tune in les Gets. Fussy pr1ck that I am I prefer one that doesn't just bang them through an automagic Wintersteiger and can hand flatten them and stone them by hand as well.
snow report
Nico from The Woods in Morzine does boards by hand, probably skis too if you ask.
latest report
I think we can agree that it was too windy for the Chairlifts to open today!
(Watch until the end)
https://www.facebook.com/frederic.martin.7/posts/1994203010605018
latest report
@no_snow_in_swindon, I suspect that chair may be closed for sometime!
snow report
Is that the "tour" chair?
snow report
Fuuuuu.....lipping Nora. Surely this chair will need some 'maintenance' after this weather? A day for vin chaude and a fondue I think (and probably some rennie afterwards). We are out in Avoriaz 14th-25th if any snowheads want a ski or beer or ski&beer.
ski holidays
@fuego, Plateau I think. doesn't look good!
ski holidays
It runs (ok used to run) up the boulevard du ski.
latest report
@zzz, any of it landed in your garden yet? Hope you have your hard hat on.
latest report
I've got family who've arrived in Morzine for a 3 day skiing break. Hopefully things have calmed down for them for tomorrow
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy