Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be driving from Geneva airport to Plan Peisey this afternoon (I land at 420pm).

Anyone need a lift?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arriving Saturday morning, can almost taste the cheap genipe already! Weather forecasts look fun
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@wills_h, Which bar has CHEAP Genepi please? They were 8 euros a shot in Smoking Boar last year - serious rip off....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@beeryletcher, A hip flask and supermarket is your chipper option.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ChrisKernow, good luck! Weather looks lively... Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27 wrote:
@ChrisKernow, good luck! Weather looks lively... Shocked

Yes. Chains a possibility NehNeh
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bring chains...

Been snowing heavily since about 10 am this morning. Went to Villaroger via Lanchettes ( Aguille R is closed) which is all in fantastic nick, but the light fairly flat. The new Pre lift makes coming back via Rhonaz track a reasonable option: but we went up Combourciere, to make it 4 slow lifts in a row, which may have contributed to some fairly lousy skiing down Malgovert ( survived rather than enjoyed- snow lovely bumps huge, light poor, bodies many: result carnage. ) and apparent hyperthermia for mini Roll requiring 20 mins s in the pisteurs hut at the top of Cachettes. It is chilly, tending to cold tomorrow (-26 being predicted. ..)

We're staying in for the rest of the day, but as I type, it is coming down so thick you can barely see across the 1950 village from our window. I may well be here for NY at this rate...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@beeryletcher, Pretty cheap in Barking mad, note I said cheap, not good Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Phew just made it with the winter tyres but a lot of wheel jogging in places. Chains deffo tomorrow if venturing en voiture.

Anyone fancy meeting up at Peisey lift or Derby tomorrow AM?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any local concerns about traffic conditions on Saturday morning? Looks like big storm coming in Friday night and no doubts lots of traffic that Saturday, morning so could be a wonderful final part of my journey!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@wills_h, There are concerns!

FRIDAY TO SATURDAY NIGHT - DECEMBER 29 TO 30
Heavy weather - violent storm high up - moderate to heavy snow
SKY CONDITION : overcast.
PRECIPITATION : moderate to heavy - rain-snow limit towards 700 m, rising up towards 900 m - expected snowfall towards 1500 m : 25-40 cm.
WIND - aloft : NW strong to gale force - violent storm at times.
TEMPERATURE : low -3°C.

SATURDAY DECEMBER 30
Bad weather ‑ considerably milder, heavy rain in the valley - gale high up
SKY CONDITION : overcast. Period of sunshine close to 0%.
PRECIPITATION : moderate and continuous - heavy at times - rain-snow limit likely to rising towards 2000 m in the evening - possible snowfall towards 2200 m : 30-50 cm, deeply windblown.
WIND - aloft : NW strong to gale force -> strong.
TEMPERATURE : low -3 °C - high +4°C.

Looks lively again! All depends on that snowline and the timing of your journey.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone leaving Pain Peisey this Sat? I need to get down to either Borge or Aime for just before 9am. Happy to provide beer money
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
New Pre Saint Lift looking a tad busy...

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Over 20 minute wait. Just like the old days...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Arctic Roll, Oh lord thats not good, its like being in La Plagne Toofy Grin Toofy Grin . Must be taking traffic away from Marmottes & Bois Lifts?
snow report
It's rather what I feared. The 'Tranquil' run now known as Vallee de l'Arc 3 will now be buzzing with people zooming down to get the fast lift back up. It was always my favourite post-prandial run after a decent lunch Chez Luigi a gentle cruise down this incredibly beautiful run would either set me up to go back up Pre St Esprit for a good afternoon's skiing in the 2000 bowl or make me decide to go up the equally slow Comborciere chair from the top of which I can go gently down to 1800 and home. On the plus side however a morning starter from the top of Arpette all the way down then straight back up into the bowl has a lot to commend it. Roll on March.
snow report
Having been in Les Arcs for the last week this is the first time I have managed to get online. TBH there are better things to do while you are here than sorting out internet connections. These are a few of my random jottings:

Last Saturday was very quiet but the resort has been filling up steadily. More people are arriving every day.

We found and went down Violettes and were the only people on it. It was good but needed a bit more snow as a sappling caught my son's leg and bought him down. The beech trees were bent almost to the ground with the weight of snow on them. I was tempted to knock a bit off and watch the resulting catapult. We went down its partner Granges this afternoon and it was scraped pretty smooth and firm. It was no where near as enjoyable

On Monday we went down Comborciere and it was bashed smooth. It looked a lot steeper without any bumps. The lift queue at the bottom was huge so we headed for the New lift. The lift was stationary and looked as if it had been for some time and would be for some time in the future. After we had a coffee it started moving again. There was a helicopter parked at the top. I do not like helicopters in the mountains.

The resort is actually fairly quiet. We have only encountered one or two lift queues all week and they were largely due to equipment failure. The blue pistes and easier reds are taking a lot of traffic and are in fact a bit unpleasant but the steeper stuff is in excellent condidtion.

This afternoon it started to snow again but we headed initially for some between the piste runs. My son persuaded me to tackle the steep drop from the Col Du Frettte into the gully of the red Lac piste. It was wonderful thigh deep powder but wow it is steep. Malgovert was also deep powder off to the sides. I cannot recall it every being so easy with no rocks sticking out all over the place. We finished that run with big grins. Well actually we cut off down the forest before the end

After leaving the forest below Malgovert we came across a track in the forset I had never encountered before (I have only been coming to Les Arcs for 30 years) it joined onto the piste access road and out by the remains of the hotel Beguin. It appears very popular with ski schools and was charming.

Talking about pistes new to me - on Thursday morning we were playing around the top of the Vizelle lift in unskied powder when I stumbled upon the old Arc 1600 Stade de Slalom. It is getting a bit overgrown now but it offered an interesting descent. This must be the least visited part of the whole domain.

It has stopped snowing now but tomorrow looks as if it be a cracker. Without doubt these are the best snow conditions we have ever encountered at Christmas and with the possible exception of one Easter the best conditions ever. We are heading home New Year's day
snow report
@johnE, Thanks for the interesting report snowHead
snow report
It's snowing very heavily now. Good luck to anyone arriving or leaving tomorrow.
snow report
Left Plan Peisey at 3.30am. 4x4 plus chains to 10km before Albertville.

Lots of ploughing going on so should improve.

Huge queues at Geneva airport security - beware if you are cutting it fine.
snow conditions
@ChrisKernow, glad you made it away safely. Going to be a few missed flights today I’m sure! Hoping I’m not one of them
latest report
blacksheep wrote:
@ChrisKernow, glad you made it away safely. Going to be a few missed flights today I’m sure! Hoping I’m not one of them

Partner left at 5 on a transfer to grenoble. Not looking good for her right now.
snow report
Unbelievable amount of snow in Bourg over night. 70-80cm!
snow conditions
ChrisKernow wrote:
blacksheep wrote:

Partner left at 5 on a transfer to grenoble. Not looking good for her right now.

Hope she makes it. I fly at 3pm so hopefully decent time to get there traffic dependant. I just want to get home, order a curry and watch MOTD with a glass of red Laughing
ski holidays
Just 1 week to go and I will be there.
I am getting a transfer from GVA to Bourg, and then taking the funicular to 1600.
I am actually staying at UCPA in 1600, and it is not clear whether there is a transfer from the mountain station of the funicular to UCPA, or whether we have to make our own way there.

Does anybody know -
How far is it from the funicular to UCPA?
Is there a public bus?
Or, is it possible to get a taxi from the funicular station?
I am not very good at walking, particularly uphill and on snow.

Thanks
latest report
@nigelg, when you get of the funicular just walk across the car park to the navette to Arc 2000. There is a bus stop just outside the UCPA. You can easily recognise it cos its on a hairpin bend just outside the building. IIRC it is the first stop. The navette always stops there. It is a suprisingly long walk.

It has snowed a lot overnight and still snowing heavily. For the first time ever I do not feel the urge to go skiing but to lie in bed reading about it.

I am really glad I am not travelling today. Good luck to those who are
ski holidays
@johnE, thanks!
snow report
@johnE, Heart bleeds Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anybody know a good breakfast cafe in Plan Peisey? Not many choices as far as I remember. Puzzled
ski holidays
Hyst wrote:
Anybody know a good breakfast cafe in Plan Peisey? Not many choices as far as I remember. Puzzled

@snowcrazy, Something you could put on the list of info if possible? Of course not only for Peisey Vallandry area, but the other once as Well? Just a suggestion Embarassed
ski holidays
OH BOY did it snow! Went up just after 9am and a few lifts were open. To my surprise they managed to get Cachette going and later in the morning Mont Blanc as well. We spent the morning doing laps of the Arc 1600 forest areas. Great deep powder in the trees, but by 1pm it had started to rain and the snow became heavy.

After lunch (long one for some!) we headed back up, but found the snow very heavy in the rain so did not ski to Bourg.

Overall a fun day, but not much fun when the rain arrived. Hope it freezes tonight so that we get a better ski all day tomorrow.

Anyone wanting to join us. Either be at the top of the Funi by 9.50am or PM me for details.

Be careful if you are driving out tonight. The roads will be slippy and you might need chains again.

Here are a few photos from today. Sorry guys, the video I took was rubbish so nothing from that!

Photos from today on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page.
ski holidays
@johnE yes, the traffic is horrendous and there are loads of us here at Chambery waiting for news of the roads re-opening when stranded vehicles have been cleared. Maps show traffic as solid still.... Chambery airport bar will need emergency beer supplies soon for stranded Snowheads. Regional emergency just declared. No hope of getting to resort tonight it seems.
snow report
Quote:

but by 1pm it had started to rain and the snow became heavy.

You can say that again. I gave up at 3, dripping wet. At least this rain will consolodate the snow pack and form an excellent base for the rest of the season.
snow report
I wonder how long it will take to get some decent runs open...?
latest report
And I wonder how long it will take to get some decent runs open...?
latest report
@mutineer, I hope youi get here soon. The local roads are perfectly clear
snow conditions
We're in Paradiski 14th Jan for a week.

Looks like snow will not be an issue this year!
latest report
@AsterixTG, its still raining - has been since around 11am up to 2000m ...
snow conditions
Booked for 24th March for our first trip to Les arcs staying in Arc 2000.

Will there still be plenty of decent snow around?
snow report
Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy