Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
cheers, yep that would make sense,
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, watched a bit more of it now and it's deffo Lognan. There's only so much of that strange language they speak that I can take in one sitting!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@endoman, I know what you mean, having met one of them in real life the theatrical board speak is a bit tiresome.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A 3rd viewing got me to the end, they skied the Le Fornet trees with Leo Tartiflette ( sorry it's just what I call him to annoy my son) Explains their route choice etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@endoman, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Well it was definitely a game of two halves today. Luckily the first half lasted till well after lunch. So we were treated to another morning of blue skies and gentle breezes before Mont Blanc donned a scarf, before a squadron of flying saucers (lens cloud) arrived to give him a hat. From early afternoon the cloud thickened and the first flocons are just falling past the window at 4 o'clock. Given that the resort is quiet there were still lots of freshtracks off piste, a group of us attacked Grattalu and then Familial down into La Daille. I think the words of Neal Flynn sum up the picture:

Far over the Misty Mountains rise
Leave us standing upon the heights
What was before, we see once more
Our kingdom a distant light

For those about to come on holiday the pistes are now in fabulous condition and work os ongoing to open more of them at the weekend.

The snow will increase in intensity tonight and the winds will pick up - its going to be a wild night. Given that we are expecting 10-20cm of snow tomorrow will be a slow start with a lot of avalanche control work. The top lifts will be closed and the links may not open. However, the isobars are wiggling about and some of the computer models suggest the winds may drop tomorrow morning, others don't so we will have to wait and see. We may see the sun from mid afternoon after it peeps out from behind vast moving snow showers. Thursday night will also be windy, but it will calm down a bit and leave us with sunny spells and snow showers on Friday. Saturday morning looks like being one of sunny spells with light snow showers in the afternoon, it will be breezy, or windy at altitude. On Sunday the wind will drop to leave sunny periods but the temperature will also drop significantly, so an extra layer will be in order.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Conditions are great. The last 2 days on my Snoworks course have been some of my best for several seasons. Just gorgeous off-piste. Even today we took the trees down to 1800. Just great fun in deep, light snow. It does not get better.
You got sand-blasted higher up on the way back but a price worth paying.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mark1863, You are a braver man than I!

All in all not a great day, the wind howled through the night and the snow was going sideways past the balcony. The heating engineers then cam to work on the hot water system in the block hit a snag and had to turn the heating off. It is now starting to warm slowly so sat here in a bobble hat and fleece!

The wind and snow will persist until the early hours, the snow could be quite heavy as we all sleep. But slowly the cloud will break in the morning and the wind should drop to give a few hours of good skiing. It may be a while before the pisteurs can make things safe though. But by late afternoon the wind and light snow will be back. Saturday will be cloudy and cold with the chance of a light snow shower at almost any time. Currently Sunday looks a mixture of snow showers and sunny periods, timing will be everything. Monday will be similar but it will be a good layer colder and there is likely to be a gusty wind during daylight hours.

And just as a reminder to avoid too much powder fever on steep slopes one chap had a lucky escape on Envers Campanules yesterday thanks to his airbag, his DVA and smart work from the pisteurs, he just had a mild case of hyperthermia.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, he's paid for a course, so you go! - Well I would if i'd paid but that might because I've lived in Yorkshire for so long!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well the sky delivered another 15-30cm of snow depending on altitude, o with the screaming winds last night the local avalanche risk was raised to 4. So there was a lot of work for the pisteurs this morning but as the lifts started opening the clouds did part and left us with powder and reasonable light. But it was an unusual light summed up by the words of CJ Carreon in Will o the wisp:

Smitten, oh those ethereal glow
I wonder, where will you go?
Dances softly
Such mysterious beauty.

So, yes, we did a bit of chasing around on piste and too the side in case the ethereal light disappeared. All in all a good morning. The cloud has now closed in again and it is snowing once again.

It will continue to snow through the nigh and will become a bit heavier towards dawn. The winds will calm down a bit, thankfully. Tomorrow will be cloudy all day with light snow showers throughout. The wind will return for the first half of Sunday with light snow showers. We may just get a glimpse of the sun in the afternoon, but it will be cold. Monday will be cloudy and breezy with snow showers and it will be marginally milder. Tuesday looks like being cloudy but with no snow falling. Wednesday looks like a much better day with sunny periods and milder temperatures.

For those coming and going on the first real transfer day of the season, the traffic shouldn't be too heavy but the roads will be snowy so expect to have to use snow chains up the mountain if you do not have snow tyres. For those flying I can see no problems at the UK airports but over here there will be a chance of snow at any of the 4 airports until mid morning. As runways may well have to be cleared and aircraft deiced there will be some delays depending on how heavy those individual showers are. Additionally at Chambery, for the first day of the season, there is a distinct chance that some of the showers will mean the visibility and cloud base will be too low to allow a landing. I wouldn't bes urprised if you were held on the ground in the UK until the heaviest have passed. Bonne chance!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chocksaway, Is the resort planning on opening anymore of the resort this weekend?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tman80, There's been no formal announcements, but I did see they were preparing Prariond and up Genepy. I think one of the snags may have been the amount of snow and wind this week - there are only so many pisteurs and they have been busy keeping the place open, especially last weekend they were working all night to keep the road open.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, Thanks Chocks, arriving tomorrow and first time skiing the Espace Killy, very excited..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
@chocksaway, he's paid for a course, so you go! - Well I would if i'd paid but that might because I've lived in Yorkshire for so long!!

Correct. Another great session. Delayed until 12am. Familial all the way down. Some sections from Bellevarde to Grand Pre. One pole broke whilst poling. Grand Pre off piste. Then Down Col De Charvet partly through the small trees. An interesting test of technique with one pole. Turned out fine. Morning. All over the place but grand.
One of the best periods of skiing I have experienced this week. It has been verging on the sublime.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So , can anyone tell me the what run it was down into la Daille this morning ....... gentle Verte turned into carnage for Mrs. Exile and many more ..... seemed a tad steep .... ended up next to ladies finish point in vehicle ruts ? Apart from that best snow seen here , albeit only 3rd time Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
exile43 wrote:
... la Daille ....... gentle Verte... ...carnage.... .... seemed a tad steep ....

Laughing Ah yes, we all know that one... The most notorious green run in the Alps Toofy Grin
latest report
@exile43, Yip, sounds like you ended up on Raye as you would have to have crossed the ladies downhill course to get to the tracks that form the green in a very loosely connected fashion.

@tman80, As if by magic the lifts opening today, for the first time are: Boisses bubble, Aiguille Percee chair, Borsat (hence the prariond piste prep I saw) and the 2 chairs up the Face de Bellvarde.

Luckily the temperature at Chambery is a couple of degrees warmer than forecast so the snow has turned to drizzle, much to the relief of the TOs I think!
snow conditions
Do you recommend heading out for New Year week or will all the fun be over? Been letching at the snow reports, but then's the soonest we could make it (has to be school hols).
latest report
Do you recommend heading out for New Year week or will all the fun be over? Been letching at the snow reports, but then's the soonest we could make it (has to be school hols).
latest report
@SophieFP, I don't think all that snow will be going anywhere fast. If you can go, go!
ski holidays
@SophieFP, If I had some annual leave left I would have booked Xmas or New Year week like a shot.

There have been loads of Tour Operator reductions and offers for the festive season and early January. These may have dried up as the snow has continued to fall. These are probably the best early season conditions that we have seen for a few years. (we used to go every year at either Xmas or N/Y but changed plans a while back now due to some indifferent early season conditions.)

It's going to take a fairly traumatic weather event to mess things up at 2100 metres altitude, hence the reason why Tignes and Val' are chosen for early season events, training camps etc.
snow report
@HoneyBunny, @GeorgeVII, thanks so much. I think we will. Can even still get train tickets, so little bod can revise all way there and back.

Now looking at skiing options. New Generation are offering a 3 afternoon level 6/7 off piste clinic, which sounds good. Any other off piste lesson/guiding suggestions? - don't really want to do it at major avalanche time of year without assistance.
ski holidays
[quote="chocksaway"]@exile43, Yip, sounds like you ended up on Raye as you would have to have crossed the ladies downhill course to get to the tracks that form the green in a very loosely connected fashion.

I reckon so too ..... fortunately Mrs Exile has come around to my point of view that I couldn’t have known this before it was too late 😱
ski holidays
@SophieFP, The only thing I would add is that the feeling in town is that NY week is not going to be manic as the French kids are back at school on the Mon/Tues so if there is a decent deal grab it. TDC also do off piste intros and a new company will be emerging soon off piste, but currently its under wraps.

@exile43, Alpine Harmony restored - marvellous!

T'was a very mixed day today, with another 8-15cm of snow overnight. It was mainly cloudy and the wind shut the top lifts but there was an occasional outburst of delight as the sun appeared and we could actually see the light fluffy snow. So we headed down amongst the trees to les Boisses and Les Brevieres, which, as you can see, was very snowy and remarkably good fun. So in the gaps we had a few freshtracks, never venturing too far off piste as when the light went, it went! The pistes right down to 1550m are in remarkable condition, all fresh grippy snow, ll the artificial stuff is well buried:

After a coffee stop the weather deteriorated and it has snowed moderately since 1 o'clock.

The snow will continue on and off through the night and a gusty wind will develop. This should abate by mid morning and we are expecting sunny periods from then on. So to mix two proverbs for tomorrow it may not be the early bird that catches the worm but the second mouse that gets the cheese! But the air will be much colder - wrap up. Monday will be another cold, cloudy and snowy day. Tuesday looks very good with the sun shining all day and the temperatures rising a bit. Wednesday and Thursday look very similar with a few fluffy clouds on the peaks.

Tomorrows air travel looks a bit complicated as most of the airports are forecasting freezing fog. But, by the time you are rolling down the runway with the throttles open wide it will have been replaced by drizzle Manchester and northwards. But Birmingham and all the London airports have a decent chance of freezing fog until mid morning so one or two of them will suffer, causing delays. Its just deciding which ones.... Over here, no real problems, just a slim chance of fog very early in the morning at Chambery and maybe a bit of sleet at Lyon and Grenoble.
latest report
Looks stunning. WELL JEL!!
snow report
@exile43, The last bit into La Daille caught many people out, it has been carnage the past 2 days. If you can stick radio Val d’Isere on when having breakfast it did warn about the run into La Daille for those not confident enough,but I wont tell Mrs Exile Very Happy
snow report
@chocksaway, I've done it - Eurostar booked so don't have to worry about foggy airports and long transfers.

Just got to find somewhere to stay now. A fair few options on airbnb, though I'd welcome any suggestions if any of you know catered chalets or self catering options that are unexpectedly free for 2 from 30th to 6th. snowHead
latest report
@SophieFP, Skiworld have a couple of holidays at 579 (inc flights) you may be able to negotiate down a bit, or at the other end of the scale the Hotel Campanules has a few rooms at about €4k for the two of you (but its very nice).
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@SophieFP, Skiworld have a couple of holidays at 579 (inc flights) you may be able to negotiate down a bit, or at the other end of the scale the Hotel Campanules has a few rooms at about €4k for the two of you (but its very nice).

Blimey, I remember staying at the Campanules for £500 each about six years ago ! Food was amazing though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@2planks, The joys of NY!! Oh and they have got their 4th star now.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, d’oh RTFThread !
latest report
Well after the Tignes Strictly Party last night (sweepstake winner 2 out of 3 years now Blush ) I suppose I will have to resort to FAB-U-LOUS to describe the snow conditions today. There was a bit more cloud than was forecast and it was bone chillingly cold when the wind picked up a bit after lunch but the snow was ace. After a quick run down the side of Grattalu we headed up Grand Pré where there was some really nice snow. Then came the best run of the season so far to the right of Epaule du Charvet where there was thigh deep light fluffy snow. I forgot to take a picture but remembered for the next run down the track of the unopened piste Marmottons in the Manchet Valley. As it had been facing the wind the snow was not as light but still great as you can see from the picture. After that it was a quick blast down Super L and up into Le Fornet for coffee. Tired legs and failing light meant a quick trip back home. But I have to say I don't remember the snow on Piste Plan (down from the Head of the Solaise) being that good for years.

After a cold and partly cloudy night the sky will become overcast around dawn and it will start snowing soon after. There will be a breeze but it should feel a little less cold. But essentially conditions will not be good. the sun may just peep out as the lifts close. But Tuesday looks like a very good day with almost unbroken sunshine and slightly milder temperatures. There will be a few more fluffy clouds around on Wednesday and wind at altitude will be a problem I think, perhaps closing higher lifts and making it feel cold. The wind will drop on Thursday leaving a day of sunny spells before snow showers return on Friday.
latest report
@SophieFP, Try Tignes spirit or the tignes chalet company.
latest report
@Kenzie, thanks for the tips - do you think they may have spaces?

@chocksaway, OMG it's looking so good. Am getting chilblains in UK, and they will be far more worth it out there. I like your extremes of the price spectrum - will look into the lower end!
snow report
New Year's Eve - any recommendations on anywhere that is fun for that (games/dancing maybe) and allows under 18's?
snow report
@SophieFP, I believe that the New Years Eve show has become less "Ibiza" rave and more family oriented. Plus the midnight fireworks are usually worth a look. Tignes website mentions...... Torchlight descent. Rock & Pop Party and Firework Show.

Locals may be able to offer up other suggestions Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@SophieFP, @GeorgeVII, is correct. The NY extravaganza in Le Lac is following the same format as last year, a 'DJ concert' with music somewhere between Radio 1 and 2. Then 20 minutes of fireworks at the Bells - they really are something. There are also plenty of bars around. Food on NYE tends to be expensive in the resto's so stick with the chalet or self cater. The dancing tends to be the late night clubs for the over 18s (and under 30s!!).

Well it was a very snowy day this morning, moderate to heavy snow fell all morning. It was a little better after lunch so I decided to test the new touring kit on the nursery slopes. As you can see the sun came out for an hour and another 15cm or so has fallen. I did a quick trip up Chaudannes and the fresh was excellent by the sides of the piste. Tomorrow could be quite special (NB avalanche risk!).

The sky will clear tonight so it will be a very cold night. But the sun will come out in the morning and it will be quite mild by lunchtime for the time of year. There may be the odd cloud annoying the peaks. The wind will be quite strong overnight into Wednesday but it should abate to leave another sunny day. Thursday will be similar but some cloud may, or may not, encroach from the north, depending on whose computer model you use. Friday looks like being mixed, with sunny periods and wind building up in the afternoon, before a grey and windy Saturday.
latest report
Thanks @GeorgeVII, where do they do the fireworks? Does it matter whether one is in Lavachet, Le Lac or Val Claret?
snow conditions
@chocksaway, The conditions look amazing. I'm beginning to regret booking Antigua for Christmas!! Shocked
snow report
@chocksaway, Col de Lavachet is looking awesome wink

@SophieFP, In Le Lac the entertainment takes place on the snow front by the Maison de Tignes and the fireworks are usually set up on the roof terrace of the Maison. I'm not sure how it works in Val Claret as I've never stayed there. The free buses run all night connecting the 3 villages so getting around isn't a problem. Lavachet is a different proposition. Much smaller but only a few minutes away by bus from Le Lac. (and walkable).

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 18-12-17 16:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@SophieFP, The fireworks are at the bottom of Palafour, where the ski schools meet in Le Lac.

I always wanted to stay at Levanna. You cannot beat the location and it's not as expensive as you would think.

http://www.levanna.com/en/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy