Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
@SophieFP,

Some links for accommodation:-
https://www.tignes-spirit.com/flats/catered_chalets
https://www.tignes-spirit.com/flats/all_apartments
http://mountainsunfrance.com/skichalets/chalet-hotel-les-melezes/#1496144434411-374b4bb5-8c1d
http://www.thetigneschaletcompany.com/prices_chalets_tignes_accommodation.html
Though it may be as quick just to contact them & ask what the have available?

http://en.tignes.net/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Familial all the way down, the trees other side of Orange, etc. Once again all excellent. What a week or so.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mark1863, What's it like getting across the stream at the bottom in Le Daille?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Straightforward. @GeorgeVII,
Plenty of cover.
Lovely snow in the trees on the way down.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bar shaker, I once stayed a night at the Levanna - lovely memory.

Found a studio apartment for £500 with Tignes Spirit, so going with that (next cheapest elsewhere was £700odd, even on French sites). Self catering is a real cost diminisher.

@Kenzie, thanks for Tignes Spirit tip, they are really good service, and don't charge extra for sheets (I've known this to be 100euro for 4 ppl!!). Ski passes there on arrival and ski hire sorted too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@SophieFP, Well that's that sorted then!

There was a bit of high cloud this morning, but that soon vanished to leave a fabulous day with freshtracks for anybody that wanted them off piste. It was also pleasantly milder. So off we went around the Aiguille Rouge Chair, Epilobe, by the side of Grattalu and by that time the Palet Drag had been opened for the first time this season. It was a jerky ride up as some 'adjustments' were made but it meant we had wide open powder fields when we got to the top. Fab! Here's a picture of some 'Group Therapy' on a very shallow slope from earlier in the day:

It will be a clear night tonight and a sunny day tomorrow (maybe the odd cloud on the peaks). But there will be a strong wind at altitude tonight and early tomorrow, such that the experts have raised the Avalanche Risk to 4 as the wind rearranges the snow - take care tomorrow. It will also be mild tomorrow so lower down expect the snow to be a little heavier off piste, especially on sunny slopes. The pistes will of course be in great condition. Thursday will start sunny and mild but quite a few fluffy clouds will build during the day. These clouds will remain all Friday, not enough to spoil the fun though. The skies will clear for Saturday but the wind will pick up through Friday night and may persist into the morning.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Morning partly spent in the Vallon de Sache. Joined the Sache through the netting, in the woods by the steep bit. Steep bit at the top of the VdS was especially memorable but a one-at-a-time job. Only a few previous tracks. Would recommend with all the usual provisos.
Slipped on icy road on way to Alpaka in the afternoon. A over T and landed on hip and shoulder. Hobbling around.
The warmer spell is somewhat welcome for this particular set of old bones.
Done 2+ weeks with Snoworks. Though the odd criticism can be made it has been worth the money.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mark1863, hope you're OK. That road often treacherous as is Rue de la Poste. Anyone got any salt & grit in the Alps
I'm currently in Arabba and the streets are way more dangerous than the pistes.
Good to learn the Sache was enjoyable. It was closed PSB week.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And the weather office has moved to the lounge at GVA as I wait for my orange bus back to the UK. Hope you are all having a good time.

Tomorrow will be sunny until late afternoon when the sky will cloud over with a milky layer of high cloud (all the snow being reserved for Switzerland and Austria!). Friday will be overcast all day and it will be a bit warmer. However the sun will return for Saturday and remain for Christmas Eve and the big day when it will be pleasantly warm in the sun. Christmas Lunch on an open air terrace what could be better. Go on book that late deal!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PeakyB, Tignes puts gravel down on the pavements for grip, but it gets buried after every snowfall, and then more is out down. Salt is of no use due to the extremely low temps. At best it would melt snow into water in the daytime, which would then freeze at night into ice rinks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Kenzie, yes, points taken. I recollect vaguely that in some Scandinavian countries, permanently icy during long winters, they have heating cables beneath main shopping street pavements. The power to heat them is somehow generated by many people walking past adapted shop windows. If that works, surely cash rich Espace Killy could afford it? Would put a few local private clinics out of business through. wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Our resident periscoper on the other thread explained this ( salt) the other day as not wanting to contaminate the Isere, which flows into the Rhone. Re the vineyards downstream.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PeakyB wrote:
@Kenzie, yes, points taken. I recollect vaguely that in some Scandinavian countries, permanently icy during long winters, they have heating cables beneath main shopping street pavements. The power to heat them is somehow generated by many people walking past adapted shop windows. If that works, surely cash rich Espace Killy could afford it? Would put a few local private clinics out of business through. wink

There is a shop in Morzine that has a heated pavement outside. I can't recall if it is cables or heat lamps but it is always clear of snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tomorrow now looks slightly better than forecast yesterday, the cloud may break mid moring to leave a milky sky and enough light to see everything. Order will be restored on Saturday when the sun will shine all day - marvellous. Sunday will be very similar but a good few degrees warmer, expect most things in the villages to be dripping, make sure your terrace seat is a reasonable distance from overhanging gutters! Christmas Day will be equally warm but a few clouds may cast shadows over the peaks. Tuesday looks showery and there is the potential for storms mid-week. Stay tuned!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
High pressure is set to dominate over the Holiday Period. Christmas Eve will see blue skies and sunshine and pleasantly warm temperatures, The Big Day itself will be similar but a little warmer, so ensure that you are not under a dripping eve when tucking into the Christmas lunch on the terrace! Tuesday looks like it is going to be a day of sunny periods and light snow showers before it all goes downhill on Wednesday with high winds and heavier snow showers. Winter will be back. Here's a picture of yesterday courtesy of tigski:

For those travelling by air tomorrow there should be few problems as the wind should blow away all the fog. There might just be the odd patch left at Lyon. However, the authorities are expecting 33000 vehicles to be travelling up the Tarentaise Valley so expect delays.........
snow conditions
Happy Christmas to all the Tignes types on the forum. Enjoy the holiday period. Yesterday was great for an on-piste day. The holiday hoards were not present.
Still plenty of snow down the Foret in Fornet. The Campanules was very acceptable. Leisse still not open on the Glacier. Got down Genepy for the first time - OK but not as good as I was expecting.
ski holidays
Surprisingly un-busy. Still cruising around. But I was amazed that it was not busier. Cannot be a good thing for the resort.
ski holidays
Christmas Day was pretty good. My friend’s last day and he was determined to ski as many runs as possible. Pistes are in great shape and still the odd off piste run is stilll great. Sache in good condition but hard and icy in the steep bit but enjoyable.
Col de Ves still shut. Not sure why. I have noticed in both parts of the EK a more conservative approach to opening runs..
No third run on the Val glacier
Col de Ves never open
Leisse never open
GM cable car perhaps open 5-7 days since 25/11
Genepy only open in last few days
Etc
Some of this one can justify but much seems to be a financial decision. Not enough skiers to justify opening.
Some idiot managed to knock himself out on path from Toviere towards Henri. He shouted from behind on the fluffy bit by the edge. I moved only to see his face hit the floor as he passed me. Some idiots started CPR though I could clearly hear him moaning. My mate said the group he was with were skiing very quickly in a crowded area. Once I knew he was conscious I moved on.
snow conditions
Heard from a friend out there that the weather had closed in and the light went really flat this afternoon.

Snow forecast tomorrow, getting heavier in the afternoon.

Roll on mid January Laughing Laughing
snow report
@GeorgeVII, You are correct, OK till 1130 ish, then closed in.

If Bergfex are to believed, some substantial snow on the way over the next 4 days or so.

Where the hell is Chocksaway when we need him!
snow conditions
@Philip1972, I think "Chockers" may be back home with family in Gods Own Country.
latest report
@GeorgeVII, How dare he Very Happy
ski holidays
I read on remontees mecaniques that the 3000 poma is proposed to re open because of the cache that a lift reaching 3000m creates in French ski resort circles.

I’d like to think that they also want to retain a bit of character after removing most of their TKs. Having a poma that reaches 3000m, has two bends along its length and provides access to a tunnel run, is still a big ✅.
ski holidays
Very flat light. Closed in from 1000 onwards. Whiteout by 1130. Not cold. Out and about for a while but called it quits about 30 minutes ago. That was well after most other people had abandoned. GM closed. Only way up to Panoramic was the train. Suspect bars are doing a good trade.
ski holidays
Very flat light. Closed in from 1000 onwards. Whiteout by 1130. Not cold. Out and about for a while but called it quits about 30 minutes ago. That was well after most other people had abandoned. GM closed. Only way up to Panoramic was the train. Suspect bars are doing a good trade.
ski holidays
Thinking of coming over at the end of April. Came last year around April 20th and the place still had a buzz about it (bars, restaurants) and the snow was good, it did seem however that lots was closing. Unfortunately we can't make that weekend and are forced to look at the weekend after, this would be the last weekend in April (28th/29th) just before the mountain closes. Willing to take the risk with snow but we will be faced with a ghost town in Val D'Isere or will a fair bit still be open and busy?

Any help gratefully received!!
snow report
@evanmorgan, The links shut on 1 May, so Val will be pretty much a ghost town. Tignes stays open another week so is likely to be busier. You may even bump into the infamous Blackshoes telemark festival - which gets very lively.
@GeorgeVII, was right, though I am currently wearing a paper bag over my head as I had to travel over the Pennines to the other side for tomorrows flight. (Just remember there are 2 good things that come out of Lancashire - Boddingtons and the M62)

So back to the weather - its all a bit complicated and unpredictable so stuff will change (especially timings). But the wind will continue to blow overnight but the snow will peter out sometime after breakfast. So expect an early morning call from the pisteurs and the snow ploughs, the lifts to open progressively but not the high ones and the links may remain closed. The sun will make an appearance behind fast moving clouds. The wind will drop below gale force during the evening and Friday will be grey and snowy, light snow in the morning and moderate in the afternoon. But the wind will return by mid morning so expect a similar story regarding the lifts. Saturday will remain windy and the precipitation (ominous when I use that word....), the snow line will be at 1400m initially but it might creep up as far as 2400m in the afternoon - delightful! There will be a stiff breeze on Sunday with snow and sleet showers (snowline around The Dam). Monday looks similar at the moment, but cooling in the afternoon such that it will be snow down in Brev by mid afternoon.
ski holidays
well I am arriving in Val Saturday and the forecast for Tuesday is looking stupidly heavy snow and wind... I am a POW man but wow this looks sketchy...

EDIT - `Forecast has changed already...

Sunday looks pretty epic first thing....

Tempted to even take my Billy Goats over my Kartels 118 vs 108 width skis....

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 28-12-17 16:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, Hope you made your escape on time this morning wink

Centre of le Lac looked particularly busy this morning but a quick check on lift openings gave some clues. Grand Motte and Double M sector closed. Marais and Aguille heading down to Bois & Brev not running either? Large queues at Tichot. Torviere side and links to Val open though. Doesn't mention tons of overnight snow so assuming wind speed an issue.
ski holidays
Snow was at best moderate overnight. The wind had clearly been very strong. Lots of ripples, drifts and patterns in the snow everywhere. So apart from the odd sheltered patch the snow was not as good as one might have expected. It was bitter on the ridges and on chairlifts. Lots of bombs before opening late. Most eventually opened in Tignes apart from the GM area.
Cold got to me and I looked for shelter and a small beer in the Jam Bar before 3 pm. Said goodbye to Roco as tomorrow is the last day of the current trip. It has been an exceptional one. Some of the best skiing I have had. But the old chassis is a bit past it’s sell-by and needs a few weeks in the garage before a trip to Japan.
I hope members have got something from my reports. Anyone coming out looks to be in for a treat.
Adieu until later in the season
snow report
@GeorgeVII, Sadly Manchester Airport was a perfect model of disorganisation, so had a 3 hour wait at GVA for the next Altibus; it would appear that they couldn't organise a booze up at Strangeways never mind run an airport.......

A bit of change since yesterday so here goes: We may well see the sun over breakfast in the morning, but it will soon cloud over and the wind will be blowy but maybe not as much as today. So expect some high lifts to be shut and maybe the links. The snow should now start late afternoon and continue through Saturday. It will be very windy overnight Friday and Saturday morning so don't expect a lot really as the snow could also be pretty heavy. Going down the hill on Saturday morning will be interesting with snow chains mandatory and lunatics ignoring that order and blocking the roads. However, it will warm up through the day and it may well be raining in Val by mid afternoon and sleeting in Tignes by dark, this may or may not help the traffic situation. But by Sunday lift opening the sun will be ought and it will be mild. However, the pisteurs are going to be busy after all the snow (some 35-60cm depending on where the active part of the front goes) and wind. Patience may well be a virtue. New Years Day is going to be a real mixed bag and the forecast will change but more snow is on the way.
ski holidays
Welcome back @chocksaway,

I see one or two sites are forecasting shedloads of snow rolling eyes I suspect that we'll probably see half of it. The wildly fluctuating temperatures over weekend are probably more of a worry for the snow pack.
snow report
@chocksaway, does your forecasting extend to ferries?

Would you forecast our overnight Portsmouth to Caen ferry on Friday night to be cancelled due to storms? Do we need to switch to the tunnel?

This assumes we can make it up the mountain on Saturday evening!
snow report
@hodgkins, Never driven a ferry! But forecast is for 6-8 on the Beaufort possibly 9 so things will be bumpy and may be a bit slow.

Suns shining - off for a ski!
snow report
And so it begins.......
snow conditions
Funny old day........

After doing battle with a Macaffee subscription I set off to find the resort very busy thanks to wind at altitude closing a lot of lifts and a recalcitrant Palafour lift. The pistes are now firm in places and off piste is a real mixed bag of lumps ice and gullies with windblown powder - not many people were venturing off. I met a chum In Val Claret which was mobbed so the unanimous decision was to go for coffee. It was no better after that so opted for a trip to Bourg, got back in fine weather at 3, by half past it was honking down. Result! A lot of cars were leaving and quite a few on recovery trucks - must have been some v cold nights.

So there is good news and bad news - over the next week there is probably going to be a lot of snow, the bad news is the conditions tomorrow are likely to cause some bother on the roads as the temperatures are probably not going to rise as per yesterday's forecast.....

Tonight is going to be wild, the winds are going to pick up and snow will fall all night, probably at moderate intensity, sometime heavy. Expect transfer times to come forward The winds will abate a bit in the morning but the snow will continue until late in the evening. So expect very little to be open tomorrow, much avalanche work and many invincible Parisians in BMWs insisting that they do not need snow tyres or chains - WRONG -. I do hope the police are out early stopping folks. I am not expecting many lifts to be open at all tomorrow - time for a duvet day, especially as it will be Avi Risk 4. Sunday will be entirely different, by mid morning the sky will be blue and the sun will be shining and it will be remarkably mild - so OK for getting up the hill if you spend a night in a gym. There will still be a stiff breeze at height. The clouds will gather on Sunday evening for a cloudy day on Monday with light snow in the afternoon, the wind will pick up. Tuesday should see fast moving sunny periods and light snow showers, again a wind at altitude. Beyoond that it looks snowy and windy, but this is not a guarantee, the weather fronts would only have to move 75 miles north and we will miss it. Currently we won't! Very Happy

For the travellers tomorrow, firstly the airports in the UK are generally OK, any snow will turn to rain/drizzle so it will be miserable but OK for flying wit the exception of Luton and Stansted who are both forecasting a 40% chance of fog, which would lead to a few delays. There may still be a little bit of sleet at Leeds and again a 40% chance of fog but the groundcrew are well 'ard up there so not too many problems. Over here expect to get wet as you get off the plane, but your main issue will be - has your bus made it down the mountain to pick you up. A wise snowHead would be armed with Sarnies and drinks. The forecast is for 30000 vehicles coming up the hill and 27000 going down, this does not represent a peak Saturday (37000) because of the funny nature of the holiday period. But expect a slow journey, if there are any major hold ups it could be a long day.

Oh I forgot to mention the bus rage in Val. Seemingly a skier was a bit miffed/trying to stop a leaving bus and hit the window of the door with his ski pole and it broke! Expensive end to the holiday I hope.
snow conditions
https://www.bergfex.com/val-disere/wetter/prognose/

How much snow 😲
snow conditions
..and how much wind...

If that comes true the week's a right off in a place like Tignes. The bars will do good trade!
ski holidays
My stuff is all packed... Shortish drive Aberdeen to Edinburgh tomorrow then the later BA flight in the afternoon...

Lindt chocolate packed and a visit to Markies on the way down the road after getting stuck 4 years ago for 14 Hours on the travel chaos 4 years ago...

Still leaning towards taking my all mountain skis at 108 over just pure off piste skis at 118...
snow conditions
45cm in the village since yesterday, 60cm on the GM. Here's the proof from the balcony:

Darling - where did I put the car:

Serves them right for parking overnight in a 15min area, and pleas on the radio, web, app etc. I am sure the snowplough pushed that little bit extra to that side.

Road between Lac and 1800 just closed for an hour for a bit of blasting.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy