Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

If you see a purple helmet with 3 curved different coloured spikes

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked wink

After some fabulous fireworks last night, it was a relatively early night for NYE. So onto the Palafour at 9 o'clock I was thinking of Delia Smith "Where are you?". The place was just about deserted there was 10 cm of fresh on the piste and not long afterwards the sun made an appearance so a good morning on piste and just by the side although off piste was variable in the extreme. The light was quite variable through the morning and the pistes did bump up, so we did seem to spend quite a lot of time picking up the little 'uns. The wind did pick up quickly around 11, closing some of the higher lifts, which was probably just as well. We were on the Aiguille Percée chair around that time, glad I wasn't feeling - err - queasy. After a restorative Jam Bar lunch it was pretty much the same in the afternoon. It starte snowing quite hard at 1600 hrs and is now snowing moderately.

The moderate snow will continue till around midnight when it will become light, but the wind will remain. About 10-15cm would be my guess by mid morning when the sun may make am appearance. It will still be windy so it will be the usual story of blasting and delayed lift openings. The snow and the wind will return with a vengeance after afternoon tea and continue all night. Tomorrows snowline will be low enough to ensure we all get a decent top up. However on Wednesday it will warm up and the moderate to heavy snow will turn to slush and rain at lower levels. The snowline will rise from 1500m at breakfast time to 1900m by the afternoon but sinking quite quickly to 1300m after dark. The issue will be the wind - at the moment it will a howling gale. The wind will abate on Thursday from a gale to a very windy day and again it will be a day of snow and rain. The snowline will rise from 1500m up to 2000m. As ever the snow forecast apps are getting very excitable, up high we are expecting a lot of snow down low we will probably come out even or better, but these things are notoriously difficult to predict, especially when the snow is hurled at the hillside at 60 miles per hour.

Happy New Year - its going to be a roller coaster for the first week.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are in La Daille next week but a couple of friends are skiing for three days, staying in Val D'isere at Hotel Auberge Saint Hubert. They are planning on picking up their lift passes when they arrive - early Sunday evening - but where would they need to go in Val Village to get them from?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Really good day on the Brevieres slopes. Flat at start and later in afternoon but lovely snow and the sky was mostly blue for a large chunk of the day. All back at the apartments exhausted and happy. A good start but not expecting as good to come.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tony..
Lift pass office opposite the Grand Cocor brasserie would be my suggestion.
Out of the St Hubert and turn right 500m up road to roundabout and walk through the shops to snow front. Lift pass office is on your left.
Or bus to Rond Point and ski down to start of Solaise and Olympique lifts.lift pass office under the Sun Bar..
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Cromptonmj, Thanks for that - I will pass that on. Do you have any idea how late they are open? If they can get them the evening they arrive it saves wasting valuable skiing time in the morning!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tonyswift, I wouldn't over-stress this.... It won't take long - no harder or more time consuming than buying a pack of biftas (although significantly more expensive)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree buy your pass in the morning.
Monday morning will not be busy at the lift office under the Sun Bar.
Enjoy your trip ...the snow is great at the moment and the crowds will have gone..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @Cromptonmj and @red 27, that's really helpful.

Very excited about it and, although they're only out for a few days, the rest of us have a full week!! Been keeping a very careful eye on weather reports, webcams and these forum threads so can see how good it has been!!! Just 6 days and counting now...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quite a day - a touch of the Kate Bush this morning (out on the wild windy moors). We awoke to a blizzard which was mainly wind and reblown snow. On the slopes there was a good 10cm where it had nor been wind scoured. The lifts were a little late opening, a coffee soon fixed that (normally I would have stopped in bed but 9 o'clock board school was calling for one of the mates!). Any way a couple of runs down Palafour were very pleasant including the east face of the Bec Rouge. The light improved markedly and there was the occasional patch of milky blue. The rest of the resort opened progressively and there is nice snow on piste all over, it did get a little bumpy. Off piste there was fresh snow but quite heavy (not surprising given the wind), so it was nice to be on the wide skis. After lunch the weather was OK but sadly closed in so a few more runs before, as Lord Flasheart would say, 'tea and medals'.

I am only going to forecast for 3 days as it is way too complex a picture to suggest what might happen on Saturday. So the snow will continue moderately all night and the wind will pick up through the night, not to the extent that the charts suggested yesterday, but still windy. The wind will also change direction in the night giving the pisteurs a bigger headache as they have 2 'lee slopes' to think about. So a slow start in the morning with plenty of explosives! It will also be very moist in the lower villages, I think Les Brevieres may get away with sleet, but by mid afternoon the snowline will be where it belongs down the valley. Just keep an eye on the links as the wind will strengthen in the afternoon, tomorrow night will be very windy/galeforce. The snow will continue through the night into Thursday, when it will be very windy and the snowline will rise from 1500m to 1900m, so a soggy finish in the villages. After a windy and snowy night Friday will start with snow down to 2000m but the weather will improve in the afternoon on current predictions. So the big question - how much snow. Difficult to tell, it will depend on the height and where the winds blow it to, but by Friday afternoon above the snowline I think a guesstimate of 70-90cm would be in the mid range. In higher gullies you could have it well above the waist!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks so much @chocksaway

Today's skiing was fabulous. Such fluffy snow tho a bit hard work being heavy, so muscles feel it. would have loved to go to Brev in morning but lifts in that direction didn't open till too late. Glad sounds good down there. Maybe we'll make it tomorrow morning if conditions allow.

Took a spectacular tumble on a no visibility blue run at the start of the day hitting a big mid piste ridge the snowcats had left behind. Then didn't fall at all off piste all afternoon except when going slow on a flat. Very comfortable conditions for a tumble. Just hard to get up. Familial down into trees of la Daille was a delight

Every day we think there's not going to be so much skiing possible and then it turns out great. Even tomorrow's storm is sounding less scary now. Worst comes to the worst there's no excuse not to make an igloo: what else are snow shovels for?

Even thinking of learning to snowboard if weather really closes in. Any recommendations?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SophieFP, Not sure if Alliance and Rebel Alliance are the same outfit for snowboard lessons. I did see that Ultimate Snowsports were offering 15% off boarding lessons in January.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Like other ski schools, Ultimate have cancelled their lessons tomorrow because of the incoming storm. They’ve rescheduled my lesson to Thursday so they must be expecting it to be over by then.

Tomorrow’s the day to practice Avi rescue or a bar crawl...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mmmm the 2 major global forecasting systems are giving different wind speeds and localised effects. Meteo France are forecasting the following:

Wed 45-65kph in the morning, 85 kph in the afternoon.
Thu 85kph in the morning 70kph in the afternoon.

If anything the intensity of the snow will be higher on Thursday (and wetter)

The weather will do what it wants, but 'drinking on the forecast' was always a dangerous game Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raining in Brev, all rather benign, no wind and gentle rain. Forecasters over egged it?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In La Daille this week. Awoke to rain and no wind. It is now starting to gust strongly. I think the forecast storm is on it’s way. Looks like we got about 5-10cm of snow overnight before it started to rain. Only the funi is open on this side (other than the local village lifts). We’re off to the Centre Aquasportif!
ski holidays
Sleeting in Lac and snow melting on balcony, very windy now although quite benign at breakfast and looks like it may increase. Pisteurs must be having the day from hell, shifting winds, warm temps and rain. Methinks head pisteur will need a Cray supercomputer to sort this out.
snow report
As posted on Facebook an hour ago by Tignes (we might have to forgive them their conversions to Imperial):

STORM and SNOW ALERT - Strong winds are expected in the coming days as well as lots of snow 80cm/19in for today and 2m/79in in 48h. Please be extremely cautious on the ski area as well as on the road.
- We will give live updates on this post so please don’t hesitate to check back here.
- The risk of avalanches is very high (4/5 to 5/5). Stay on the open slopes. No off-piste.
- For pistes live opening info http://bit.ly/pistestignes
- Possible closing of the road between Tignes Le Lac and Tignes 1800 from 9pm on the 3rd January.
- Don’t hesitate to ask questions in the comments.
- Download our app to be informed about openings and closings of the roads and pistes.
Be safe out there.
snow report
@chocksaway, https://www.facebook.com/1130303713650017/videos/2356574754356234/

Just posted on Radio-TV Val's FB page rolling eyes

"Looks a bit fresh" as they say oop north wink
snow report
I don't think the skis are coming out the locker today.
ski holidays
After watching that Facebook video I am glad I am sitting in the fondue factory having a very good lunch!
snow report
@scottydonald, Reminded me of Penguins in Antartica Laughing
snow report
https://www.ticketoski.fr/fr/tignes/situation/277 Lift Pass refunds
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, Aye, I think I need a vest on!

Val D'Isere now shut completely, few village magic carpets and drags open up here. Road to le Fornet has avalanched, precautionary probing in place (the road had been closed)

Good news up here is the temperature has dropped 5 degs since cornflakes, its now snowing/hailing and blowing a gale. Mind you the Chaudannes webcam in Meribel is not a pretty site - pools of water standing on le front de neige. Shocked Shocked
Back in a few minutes with a rough guess of what's happening tomorrow.

ROAD CLOSURE The road between Le Lac and the Dam will be closed to all traffic from 2100hrs tonight until 0600hrs (or when they have cleared the road after avalanche blasting at 0400).

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 3-01-18 15:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
My decision to go to the Caribbean for New Year seems like it was a good one.

Stay safe kids.
ski holidays
someone killed in morillon by a tree being blown onto the piste apparently........must be wild out there
latest report
^ that's sad news, how terrible

The webcams are Shocked

I'd have thought they'd want everyone in the EK inside in this weather - although who'd want to be outdoors anyway? It's like the Arctic!
latest report
Well as the French would say "Il fait un vent a décorner les boeufs". Its a wind to blow the horns off the cattle! I think the easiest way to describe it as vile. But beginner boarder mate braved the elements for 2 and a half hours on the Rosset whilst we stayed in and drank coffee. Not sure whether to award a medal or have him certified!

So this morning was a deal warmer than forecast and the wind did drop, but not for long. Not sure about the decision to open the Funival - its a long way down in a whiteout. The official snowfall was 15cm yesterday, we may well have lost some of that with the heat but it is now being replaced. The atmosphere is still in a tempestuous mood but here goes:

Tonight will be snowy and windy, but from around daybreak the snowline should climb the mountain to around 2300m by mid morning. The wind should be less than today, but as we saw this morning, no forecast is perfect. So it will be miserable again with few lifts open to start with - more may open as the day progresses. The precipitation will continue into Friday, but the snowline will drop to 2000m. Friday morning will be wet/snowy but the wind will drop and the weather should improve in the afternoon, we may even see the sun again. Saturday will still be windy with a milky sky but no snow, a bit of travel relief for those heading home. Its a long way off but there appears to be a retour d'est forming for early next week - Le Fornet may well be buried in snow.
latest report
@chocksaway, Until you mentioned the retour d'est there, I had never (in all the, what 20, times I have been in EK) even considered that the glacier above Le Fornet was technically in Italy - of course I knew Italy was "just over there" but not that it was really a stones throw from the bubble Very Happy

Every days a school day, or perhaps I need to be more observant...........
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Everything closed down, risk 5/5. Ban on vehicle movements. Folk told to stay in doors. Snow falling off buildings.
ski holidays
Confined to barracks!

Radio and Tignes App telling people to stay in building they are in until further notice, Avi Risk 5/5, Road to Bourg closed. Shocked Shocked

Back too bed!
latest report
Chalets on the Golf Course evacuated, occupants sat on a bus whilst Lognan is blasted.

Multiple messages telling us to stay at home.

For anyone here if you have an emergency call 04 79 40 04 93
snow report
Sounds really bad!!
Hoping the roads become passable by Saturday although Friday looks snowy as well!

Snow chains sorted ready for the climb up
ski holidays
Chalets on Golf Course reoccupied. Army were there to assist with the evacuation, guests got 10 mins to leave at 0730. Shocked
ski holidays
Wow - This morning, from the cosseted and warm environs of my short commute, I suddenly found myself wondering about the piste security folks and what a fantastic job they do, in often appalling conditions.
ski holidays
35 cm in the village last night and 50 on high according to the official site. Its still snowing, but getting warmer up here. The snow on the balcony was very heavy.

There was an unusual eerie silence in the village this morning punctuated only by the odd convoy of snowploughs. There are now one or two snow blowers going at the local hotels. As it warms the biggest immediate threat will be slips from the roofs (there is a big overhang above my balcony).
snow report
Anyone any indication if they are going to get anything open? Sitting in Bourg and meant to be joining friends up in Val
latest report
@SkiG, the Tignes App says that nothing will open today. A small number of folk ignoring instructions out on the roads.
snow report
@SkiG, Radio Val saying nothing will open in Val before the end of the morning. The road up to the 2 resorts is currently closed at Aire de Chainage Raye (below the Brev turnoff). The road between Tignes Le Lac and Boisses is closed all day. I suspect nothing will open, I would find a nice restaurant and have a good lunch.
ski holidays
Agree Frosty!

Any reports from Val D this morning? Off on Sat.
latest report
@johnboy, a few runs open due to limited snow cover.... t' be sure wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy